Forums

Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

GoS
Riding on 17's

Re: Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby GoS » September 15th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Who locally sells the smart switches, plugs, and Alexa?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 15th, 2020, 10:01 pm

GoS wrote:Who locally sells the smart switches, plugs, and Alexa?

Cheapest place to get Alexa devices is on Amazon

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 15th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Saw Circuit Zone website had some smart devices.
But 1. the website never updated, 2. they never answer their phones, so i give up on them.

PriceSmart has the Google Home mini, but if you're already with Amazon, stick with the Alexa Echo.

GoS
Riding on 17's

Postby GoS » September 15th, 2020, 10:36 pm

Cools thanks what about the switches and plugs?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 15th, 2020, 11:42 pm

This place seems promising:
https://smartwavecaribbean.com/smartwave-shop/

Give us some feedback here if you buy from them.

I prefer RGB smart bulbs over switches. Simpler installation for one, and controlled lighting colors for another. Just tape the switch with some white electrical tape so you can't accidently click it off. It takes about 2 weeks to get used to that learned behaviour.

For instance, I programmed my bulbs to change to Soft White color at sunset, and for the bedroom lights to dim after 8pm and lower its color temperature to adjust the body for sleep. After 11pm, i programmed it to switch to dark red and 1% dim for sleep, auto off at 1am. They turn on bright white when i tell Google to wake up at 5am. The app also has lighting moods that you will find useful. Smart bulb prices have been going down over time, just like regular LED bulbs have. Very soon there will be generic no name brands that work with any Home Control app.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 20th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Apple HomeKit setup with a wall mounted iPad

mitsutt
Trinituner Peong

Postby mitsutt » October 21st, 2020, 7:43 pm

Joining.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 22nd, 2020, 8:42 am

maj. tom wrote:This place seems promising:

I prefer RGB smart bulbs over switches. Simpler installation for one, and controlled lighting colors for another. Just tape the switch with some white electrical tape so you can't accidently click it off. It takes about 2 weeks to get used to that learned behaviour.

For instance, I programmed my bulbs to change to Soft White color at sunset, and for the bedroom lights to dim after 8pm and lower its color temperature to adjust the body for sleep. After 11pm, i programmed it to switch to dark red and 1% dim for sleep, auto off at 1am. They turn on bright white when i tell Google to wake up at 5am. The app also has lighting moods that you will find useful. Smart bulb prices have been going down over time, just like regular LED bulbs have. Very soon there will be generic no name brands that work with any Home Control app.

Switches work better for me as I have kids and not everyone will use an app to turn lights on and off. Can still use the phone and set automations. More functionality IMO

IMG_2546.JPG

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » October 23rd, 2020, 1:09 pm

Brilliant Smart Home

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 24th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Got an Echo Flex on sale for Prime day for $9.99
skybox delivered it yesterday

This review is pretty much spot on

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 24th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Got an Echo Flex on sale for Prime day for $9.99

How is it?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 24th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Got an Echo Flex on sale for Prime day for $9.99

nice, i ordered 6 that $9.99 price was great.
waiting for mine to clear customs

also ordered some of the motion sensors to pair with them

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 24th, 2020, 4:23 pm

The audio is terrible for music but good for hearing updates, listening to your to do list, getting feedback from Alexa on news, weather, announcements etc
The microphone isn't as good as the Echo Dot so sometimes you have to say things louder if you are not next to it.
I also ordered the night light attachment but that's coming in another shipment even though they were bundled together.
Setup was easy through the Alexa app

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm

maj. tom wrote:Just tape the switch with some white electrical tape so you can't accidently click it off.

Check this
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Aurora-Di ... 07RJ14FBS/

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » October 27th, 2020, 11:24 am

have 1 of.these sealed if anyone interested!
20201027_112047.jpeg

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 27th, 2020, 11:30 am

^ price?

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » October 27th, 2020, 1:45 pm

$300

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » December 27th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
maj. tom wrote:This place seems promising:

Switches work better for me as I have kids and not everyone will use an app to turn lights on and off. Can still use the phone and set automations. More functionality IMO

IMG_2546.JPG

What type of switches do you use? I am reading online and them all seem to require the Neutral wire. Do you need to do any special modification to your wiring? From what I understand, the normal connection is:
HOT-->switch-->bulb-->to Neutral (junction box).

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 27th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Many smart switches require a neutral wire because they need to be powered all the time to stay connected to WiFi or z-wave or whatever protocol the switch uses to communicate.

Switches that don’t use a neutral will have to power down to very low power, causing LED/CFL bulbs to flicker or remain on but very dimly.

I use Lutron Caseta PD-6WCL dimmers that don’t require a neutral but power low enough that it works with LED and CFL bulbs.

https://theiotpad.com/tips/smart-switch ... utral-wire

The Lutron Caseta on/off switches that require a neutral, I just get an electrician to run a neutral wire for that light and switch.

I like the Lutron cause it works with a hub so doesn’t take up multiple WiFi connections and clutter up the router and more importantly it works with a ton of home protocols including Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Home. Many switches don’t do all those together. It’s also very solid. Many smart switches need to be restarted or lose connection. I have stress with multiple Koogeek switches that disconnect every other week and work with HomeKit but not Alexa.

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » December 27th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Thanks. Was actually thinking about using switches without a hub to avoid an unnecessary power connection. Didn't think about having issues with additional wireless connections to the router. Will have to rethink my plan.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 27th, 2020, 7:54 pm

h1tach1 wrote:Thanks. Was actually thinking about using switches without a hub to avoid an unnecessary power connection. Didn't think about having issues with additional wireless connections to the router. Will have to rethink my plan.

I’ve seen many people refer to a hub as a bad thing, but one Caseta hub controls up to 50 light switches, remotes and window shades instead of having each switch added as a separate WiFi device on your router.

You can also look at other hubs
https://staceyoniot.com/wink-replacemen ... n-support/

The Smart Things hub and the Wink hub can control many different types of devices

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » December 28th, 2020, 9:41 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
h1tach1 wrote:Thanks. Was actually thinking about using switches without a hub to avoid an unnecessary power connection. Didn't think about having issues with additional wireless connections to the router. Will have to rethink my plan.

I’ve seen many people refer to a hub as a bad thing, but one Caseta hub controls up to 50 light switches, remotes and window shades instead of having each switch added as a separate WiFi device on your router.

The Smart Things hub and the Wink hub can control many different types of devices

Weird. I was having this argument recently with someone indicating that Hubs are better. I was trying to push him to consider the Phillips Hue and Hub. But he insists that individual bulbs and Alexa are better.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 28th, 2020, 2:29 pm

thelem-again wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Weird. I was having this argument recently with someone indicating that Hubs are better. I was trying to push him to consider the Phillips Hue and Hub. But he insists that individual bulbs and Alexa are better.

Bulbs on a hub makes even more sense because you may end up with many more bulbs than switches as many fixtures or rooms may have more than one bulb.
Personally I prefer smart switches than smart bulbs.
If you use a regular switch and a smart bulb then someone can turn off the switch in the room and you no longer have control of the bulb unless you physically go and turn on the switch again. The bulb will stop getting power and goes dead.
A smart switch can control a whole room with numerous light fixtures, downlights, track lights, existing chandeliers, wall lights etc instead of replacing bulbs in all of those.
In some cases bulbs do make sense, but generally a switch is a better method than a bulb.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 29th, 2020, 11:43 pm

got a smart bulb and dual socket plug from Wizz.....they're selling the Nexxt Smart Home products if anyone is interested.

the catalog is on their website

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 30th, 2020, 12:20 pm

stev wrote:got a smart bulb and dual socket plug from Wizz.....they're selling the Nexxt Smart Home products if anyone is interested.

the catalog is on their website

Cool

Post a review if you can.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 7th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Started utilizing smart switches and they are great. I tried a smart bulb but that sheit so expensive and haven’t found a real use for it yet. Finally got the echo flex. I have it located jus outside the kitchen area and living room. It is pretty decent. The mic has good range depending on the sound levels. Cant really talk slang to alexa yet so proper english is more or less required. I would invest in two more that should cover other important house areas.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » February 7th, 2021, 5:46 pm

eitech wrote:Started utilizing smart switches and they are great. I tried a smart bulb but that sheit so expensive and haven’t found a real use for it yet. Finally got the echo flex. I have it located jus outside the kitchen area and living room. It is pretty decent. The mic has good range depending on the sound levels. Cant really talk slang to alexa yet so proper english is more or less required. I would invest in two more that should cover other important house areas.
Is smart plugs the same thing? I was thinking how that could be an advantage security wise.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 7th, 2021, 5:56 pm

aaron17 wrote:
eitech wrote:Started utilizing smart switches and they are great. I tried a smart bulb but that sheit so expensive and haven’t found a real use for it yet. Finally got the echo flex. I have it located jus outside the kitchen area and living room. It is pretty decent. The mic has good range depending on the sound levels. Cant really talk slang to alexa yet so proper english is more or less required. I would invest in two more that should cover other important house areas.
Is smart plugs the same thing? I was thinking how that could be an advantage security wise.

No a smart plug and smart switch are different

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » February 16th, 2021, 7:29 pm

Anyone ordered from wyze recently ? I placed an order for the v3 cam last week, used the US address on my card and shipping address was to a skybox with Blue Sky. Wyze initially accepted the order then cancelled it 3 days later. I'm assuming it's because it was being shipped to a skybox. Anyone was able to get thru using a skybox address? Lemme know which skybox company u used.

Also did anyone buy the USB cable extender from wyze or one of those from Amazon?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”