3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby worksux101 » August 19th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Thanks anyway

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 2nd, 2021, 11:06 pm

Roku added Apple HomeKit and AirPlay to most of their devices.

I've had a Roku 3 since 2013 or 2014 and now via a software update Apple HomeKit and AirPlay have been added.
I tested it and it works great.
It's great that they are able to add new functionality like that via a software update to an older device. Hopefully others follow suit.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » September 2nd, 2021, 11:35 pm

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 3rd, 2021, 1:02 am

Osram Lightify ended their cloud service... And I have 15 Osram smart bulbs integrated with Google home and Amazon alexa...sigh. :(

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2021, 1:29 am

Gladiator wrote:Osram Lightify ended their cloud service... And I have 15 Osram smart bulbs integrated with Google home and Amazon alexa...sigh. :(

I had to change a bunch of Koogeek homekit switches and seems like Logitech discontinued their Harmony line

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » September 3rd, 2021, 6:55 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Gladiator wrote:Osram Lightify ended their cloud service... And I have 15 Osram smart bulbs integrated with Google home and Amazon alexa...sigh. :(

I had to change a bunch of Koogeek homekit switches and seems like Logitech discontinued their Harmony line

Is it just that no alternatives yet ?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » September 3rd, 2021, 5:15 pm

Anyone uses the smart security app and will it work on tablets like the cheaper Amazon tablets . I want to have a physical device for my mother who isn’t tech savvy to use to operate a home alarm system . I can control it from my phone but if I can keep a cheap tablet plugged in it may just work for her.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 3rd, 2021, 7:29 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

I can relate... I I to smart home before there was smart home lol...you ever hear about a platform called X10……?

I had everything X10 lights, appliances, alarm system etc there was a neat macro usb programming module that ran everything. Just so they close down and no firmware updates.

I think there needs to be a proper standard for smart home devices. Everything seems to be a Hodge podge of cloud integration.

Smart things is a failure. It down and buggy like hell. Samsung gives little support. I migrated everything away from the smarthings hub into Google home using the Osram hub for the lighting.

Thinking about getting an Amazon hub. That's the only platform that seems to be steadily improving and not messing up their line.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » September 6th, 2021, 3:02 pm

What zwave hub allyuh using?I'm looking at the Samsung SmartThings Hub but I find it kinda pricey.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 6th, 2021, 3:39 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:What zwave hub allyuh using?I'm looking at the Samsung SmartThings Hub but I find it kinda pricey.

I have been using the smartthings hub for the better part of 3 years. It was so much headache that I migrated everything except one switch to another hub.

Samsung does not seem to care about this platform. Its buggy as hell and goes down for 3-4 days at a time. No amount of negative feedback from international users seem to even budge them out of their beds to resolve any issues.

I would recommend you stay far from smartthings and the samsung hub. I m going to try Amazon next...

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » September 6th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Gladiator wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

I can relate... I I to smart home before there was smart home lol...you ever hear about a platform called X10……?

I had everything X10 lights, appliances, alarm system etc there was a neat macro usb programming module that ran everything. Just so they close down and no firmware updates.

I think there needs to be a proper standard for smart home devices. Everything seems to be a Hodge podge of cloud integration.

Smart things is a failure. It down and buggy like hell. Samsung gives little support. I migrated everything away from the smarthings hub into Google home using the Osram hub for the lighting.

Thinking about getting an Amazon hub. That's the only platform that seems to be steadily improving and not messing up their line.

Lol yup x10 had some good prices for home alarms . Didn’t even realise they are no more you say ?mid 2000s is when I discovered them

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » September 6th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Kenjo wrote:Anyone uses the smart security app and will it work on tablets like the cheaper Amazon tablets . I want to have a physical device for my mother who isn’t tech savvy to use to operate a home alarm system . I can control it from my phone but if I can keep a cheap tablet plugged in it may just work for her.

Would any of Amazon’s fire tablets be useful to have constantly plugged on to use for viewing my wireless cameras ?I assume as they are amazon based I can download appropriately viewer apps such as Yoosee and camhipro

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 6th, 2021, 10:36 pm

Kenjo wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Lol yup x10 had some good prices for home alarms . Didn’t even realise they are no more you say ?mid 2000s is when I discovered them

Actually your post made me do a search and I see they are back in the market... I dumped everything about 7 years ago. Some of the modules look the same though. They use z-wave it think.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 6th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Kenjo wrote:
Kenjo wrote:Anyone uses the smart security app and will it work on tablets like the cheaper Amazon tablets . I want to have a physical device for my mother who isn’t tech savvy to use to operate a home alarm system . I can control it from my phone but if I can keep a cheap tablet plugged in it may just work for her.

Would any of Amazon’s fire tablets be useful to have constantly plugged on to use for viewing my wireless cameras ?I assume as they are amazon based I can download appropriately viewer apps such as Yoosee and camhipro

If your cameras are Alexa compatible then you can buy an Amazon Echo Show and use it as a monitor for the cameras or a touch control for your smart home devices. The software is built-in so no app to install and ithe Echo Show screen is made to stay always on.

You can get a 1st Gen Echo Show 8” for US$79 now
https://amzn.to/3jMGW8D

Or US$99 for the newer 2nd Gen. the difference is speed and sound quality.

You can get a WyzeCam V3 for US$30
https://amzn.to/38M5k3O
And they work great with Alexa
Say “Alexa show me the backyard” and it shows on the Echo Show screen

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » November 12th, 2021, 8:55 pm

Trying to set up a homepod mini as a hub in homekit and homekit doesnt see it as a hub at all. It shows up as an accessory but not as a hub in any way. What gives?
Last edited by j.o.e on November 12th, 2021, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 12th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Google home/Google smart assistant OR Alexa.

Which offers better integration of devices?

And Google Hub vs Echo Show? Which is better? Echo is widely available on Amazon but where to get Google Hub devices? Would Google home integration work in Trinidad?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 12th, 2021, 10:11 pm

carluva wrote:Google home/Google smart assistant OR Alexa.

And Google Hub vs Echo Show? Which is better? Echo is widely available on Amazon but where to get Google Hub devices? Would Google home integration work in Trinidad?

I think far more devices work with Alexa.
Both work in T&T and both are pretty good at understanding Trini accent when spoken to.
Even car head units are coming with Alexa built in.

Most devices that work with Google Home also work with Alexa - but not all devices made for Alexa work with Google home

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » November 13th, 2021, 7:53 am

carluva wrote:Google home/Google smart assistant OR Alexa.

Google home is a complete waste...I literally pelt away the Google mini. I replaced it with an Amazon Echo hub and it works perfectly. Never skips a beat and very fast and responsive.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 13th, 2021, 2:30 pm

Cool thanks.

What would y'all recommend in the security camera department? Not looking for a wired cctv. Interested in the battery units which can link to a smart display. So far, I think the eufy cams are among the best for what I need.

Thoughts and experiences???

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 13th, 2021, 7:42 pm

carluva wrote:Cool thanks.

What would y'all recommend in the security camera department? Not looking for a wired cctv. Interested in the battery units which can link to a smart display. So far, I think the eufy cams are among the best for what I need.

Thoughts and experiences???

Wyze cams and Echo Show works pretty good and affordable
The original Wyze cam was $20 for one but the new V3 is $35
https://amzn.to/3kBztZX

"Alexa show me the backyard" and the image comes up on the Echo Show - and you have 2 way audio

They run on USB power. You can run it off of a battery pack, maybe try a solar battery pack for the ones that are too far away from a plug.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 13th, 2021, 7:45 pm

any suggestion for solar battery pack?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 13th, 2021, 10:35 pm

I have one of these 30,000mAh battery packs that is solar powered

https://amzn.to/3qvLB2y

I stuck it on to the window and ran the camera, also on the window looking into the backyard.
It ran for about a week and a few days and then ran out of juice as the solar recharge couldnt keep up eternally with draw from the camera

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 14th, 2021, 1:12 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I have one of these 30,000mAh battery packs that is solar powered

https://amzn.to/3qvLB2y

I stuck it on to the window and ran the camera, also on the window looking into the backyard.
It ran for about a week and a few days and then ran out of juice as the solar recharge couldnt keep up eternally with draw from the camera

Link not working ?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 14th, 2021, 2:25 am

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » November 16th, 2021, 12:43 am

Hi Guys,

I am doing a new construction and I am planning to run the home using home assistant.

I have selected all the relevant hardware, I am however stuck on the security system

Does anyone know if DSC neo series can communicate with home assistant? The last post I saw of this online was 4 years ago

Thanks

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 16th, 2021, 9:08 am

As you are in the new construction phase, make sure you include network drops throughout the house. And tie all these drops back to a main router. This is much better than WIFI as the connection is lossless (compared to WIFI). You can keep a WiFi network available for your wireless devices, but for computers, TVs, gaming consoles and even AVR equipment, the wired network connection is best.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 16th, 2021, 10:01 am

src1983 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am doing a new construction and I am planning to run the home using home assistant.

I have selected all the relevant hardware, I am however stuck on the security system

Does anyone know if DSC neo series can communicate with home assistant? The last post I saw of this online was 4 years ago

Thanks

I’d like to know also.
I know there is an Alexa skill for EyezOn for DSC and Honeywell
https://www.amazon.com/Envisacor-Techno ... /ref=nodl_

Assuming it works with EyezOn Envisalink 4
https://amzn.to/3DoaJvN

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » November 16th, 2021, 10:05 am

As New Construction is mention, I myself plan to do some wiring for a home network which will include building a decent functional smart home.

Opinions are welcomed.

1. Full 2 level home will be wired with CAT6 cabling with jacks in each room. TV's, Printers, Game Consoles, Apple TV will be wired.
2. Each Level will have a Unifi AP long-range. This will be solely for wireless devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones and IoT devices utilizing the 5Ghz band.
3. Entire house will have smart light switches with smart plugs in certain areas. Switches will be Treatlife. These will operate on the 2.4Ghz band.
4. I would be using POE Security Cameras with person and vehicle detection. I may keep the NVR instead of using them as IP Cameras.
5. I would be tying all of this together with a Unifi Switch Pro 24 POE.
6. Lastly, whilst I previously had Apple Homekit, I think I will migrate to Alexa due to increased compatibility. So i go with the Echo Dot 4th Gen.
7. Of course this includes other additions to make some automations possible such as smart locks, a garage opener and smart curtains.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 16th, 2021, 11:04 am

thelem-again wrote:As New Construction is mention, I myself plan to do some wiring for a home network which will include building a decent functional smart home.

Opinions are welcomed.

1. Full 2 level home will be wired with CAT6 cabling with jacks in each room. TV's, Printers, Game Consoles, Apple TV will be wired.
2. Each Level will have a Unifi AP long-range. This will be solely for wireless devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones and IoT devices utilizing the 5Ghz band.
3. Entire house will have smart light switches with smart plugs in certain areas. Switches will be Treatlife. These will operate on the 2.4Ghz band.
4. I would be using POE Security Cameras with person and vehicle detection. I may keep the NVR instead of using them as IP Cameras.
6. Lastly, whilst I previously had Apple Homekit, I think I will migrate to Alexa due to increased compatibility. So i go with the Echo Dot 4th Gen.
7. Of course this includes other additions to make some automations possible such as smart locks, a garage opener and smart curtains.

repurpose a a couple tablets and mount them on the walls so they would act as your Hub Control Center (upstairs and downstairs).

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 16th, 2021, 11:49 am

thelem-again wrote:As New Construction is mention, I myself plan to do some wiring for a home network which will include building a decent functional smart home.

Opinions are welcomed.

Nice!
I'd choose Lutron Caseta over the Treatlife switches - the Lutron works with Alexa, HomeKit and Google Home.
Also Caseta works with a hub so ALL the switches in the house will use ONE wifi connection instead of each switch using its own wifi connection and potentially clogging up the router.
Also an Echo Show is FAR better as a smart home hub than a Dot 8-)

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”