Forums

Passport Appointment

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Re: Passport Appointment

Postby Kenjo » August 20th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Right opposite pos office has a pharmacy that sells copies of the forms , I’m sure close to the other locations has similar businesses

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » August 27th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Anyone used this decrepit 5th world service this week?

Someone I know has to go faren from October for about 5 months but passport has about 6-7 months left.
(Yes, they only found out a few days ago about having to go faren)

What are the options?
Go with it as is, and get brace and make up some excuse?

Or risk doing this walk-in thing and have them holding your passport long after the due date?

Is any place still doing this walk-in thing, and is the option to expedite available only at certain locations?
I seeing differing things in previous posts.

Also wasn't there a drop off box service or something so? Unless I read it wrong.

And why exactly is the service/wait times so terrible?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:Anyone used this decrepit 5th world service this week?

Someone I know has to go faren from October for about 5 months but passport has about 6-7 months left.
(Yes, they only found out a few days ago about having to go faren)

What are the options?
Go with it as is, and get brace and make up some excuse?

Or risk doing this walk-in thing and have them holding your passport long after the due date?

Is any place still doing this walk-in thing, and is the option to expedite available only at certain locations?
I seeing differing things in previous posts.

Also wasn't there a drop off box service or something so? Unless I read it wrong.

And why exactly is the service/wait times so terrible?
Many countries require that your passport be valid for the duration of your stay (according to you plane ticket) to be granted entry. Many other countries will not allow you to pass through border control with less than six months remaining on your valid passport. It doesn't matter whether you have a visa or not.

The best bet is most likely to apply for and pay for expedited passport service in Port of Spain. Your friend currently has at least five weeks to apply for and receive the new passport.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » August 27th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Do you have to make an appointment in other countries to get your passport renewed or is this a banana republic thing only?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 27th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Believe it or not, you can do the entire transaction through the mail in Canada, unless if you want your passport within 20 days (then visit the office). You even pay with a Credit Card/Postal Order/Certified Cheque in the application form. Same with renewing Ontario driver's licence and Health card.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » August 27th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Same goes for US and UK.

Some places you do have to make appointment but the process is still not as banana as here.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 27th, 2019, 9:53 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Do you have to make an appointment in other countries to get your passport renewed or is this a banana republic thing only?
Make an appointment in the US by phone, pick a location near you that may be a few hundred miles away, and prove that you really need a passport. You will receive it by mail in less than a week.

In an emergency, you can pick it up no later than next day.

Carbon12
Sweet on this forum

Postby Carbon12 » September 7th, 2019, 8:03 am

Hi Guys so I have a question with regards to travel, I want to travel in October of this month but in doing so I would only have 5 months left in my passport. I am only traveling for 2 weeks and my visa is expiring on July of 2020 though so my visa has more than 6 months left. Should I have any problems with using my passport when traveling or should I expedite and renew?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 7th, 2019, 8:37 am

Where are you going?
Carbon12 wrote:Hi Guys so I have a question with regards to travel, I want to travel in October of this month but in doing so I would only have 5 months left in my passport. I am only traveling for 2 weeks and my visa is expiring on July of 2020 though so my visa has more than 6 months left. Should I have any problems with using my passport when traveling or should I expedite and renew?

Carbon12
Sweet on this forum

Postby Carbon12 » September 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Where are you going?
Carbon12 wrote:Hi Guys so I have a question with regards to travel, I want to travel in October of this month but in doing so I would only have 5 months left in my passport. I am only traveling for 2 weeks and my visa is expiring on July of 2020 though so my visa has more than 6 months left. Should I have any problems with using my passport when traveling or should I expedite and renew?

Trinidad>Miami (multi-destination) 2 weeks travel time

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 7th, 2019, 9:13 am

Carbon12 wrote:

The United States has a six-month rule but T&T is currently exempt.

-----------

Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S.  See list of countries exempt from the six month requirement.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/572/~/entering-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-foreign-nationals-%28international

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 7th, 2019, 10:34 am

You safe. I travelled with 2 months validity remaining on my passport and they never asked anything. That was in Nov 2017. Only Trini immigration on returning told me it going to expire soon.
Carbon12 wrote:

Carbon12
Sweet on this forum

Postby Carbon12 » September 7th, 2019, 11:57 am

Dizzy28 wrote:You safe. I travelled with 2 months validity remaining on my passport and they never asked anything. That was in Nov 2017. Only Trini immigration on returning told me it going to expire soon.
Carbon12 wrote:

Thanks guys for the information, greatly appreciated. Really didn't wanna go through the hassle of doing a walk in in pos then to expedite it to cut it close to my travel date to collect back my passport. Rather wait until I reach back and do regular renewal.

DJ Anand
Riding on 13's

Postby DJ Anand » October 14th, 2019, 8:13 am

So my question is.....how long before my passport expires can I apply for renewal? Next year my wife and I have to go for renewals but mines expires in January and hers expires in November. Both our visas expire in august.

Ideally I would like both of us to renew passports and apply for visa at the same time. Is it possible for my wife to apply in january with me, 8 months before her old passport expires?

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » October 14th, 2019, 10:12 am

DJ Anand wrote:So my question is.....how long before my passport expires can I apply for renewal? Next year my wife and I have to go for renewals but mines expires in January and hers expires in November. Both our visas expire in august.

Ideally I would like both of us to renew passports and apply for visa at the same time. Is it possible for my wife to apply in january with me, 8 months before her old passport expires?

I reapplied with 11 months remaining on my passport again.
no issues

DJ Anand
Riding on 13's

Postby DJ Anand » October 14th, 2019, 11:02 am

mitch1980 wrote:
DJ Anand wrote:So my question is.....how long before my passport expires can I apply for renewal? Next year my wife and I have to go for renewals but mines expires in January and hers expires in November. Both our visas expire in august.

I reapplied with 11 months remaining on my passport again.
no issues

Thanks Mitch1980

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » November 23rd, 2019, 7:33 am

No more walk-in passport service
Minister unaware of woes

There is no more walk-in passport renewal service. That was stopped on October 14.

While this new move has eliminated the lines outside passport offices, the length of time it takes to get a passport or to renew one has considerably lengthened.

When a citizen visits the passport office, Immigration Division of the Ministry of National Security on Frederick Street in Port of Spain, or any other passport office in the country for a passport renewal he or she is handed a form to fill out and a piece of paper with a number to call for an appointment.

A call to the number given on the slip, in this month (November), a passport holder was told the next appointment date was in late March 2020.

But members of the public who have been fulfilling their appointment dates have said, on the day of their appointment they spend approximately an hour going through the process.

After that, they wait another six to eight weeks before their new passports are ready.

Asked why it is taking up to five months to get a passport, and if there a staff shortage or machines out of service at passport/immigration offices, Minister of National Security Stuart Young told Newsday: “I am not aware of any passport machines being down nor of any abnormal staff shortages in immigration.

“The timeframe for obtaining a new passport would differ depending on circumstances.”

The machine-readable passport (MRP) system was first introduced in 2007. But when it was updated in 2017, it was promised that the process would be smoother and less time-consuming.

According to the ministry's website, there is a four to eight-week waiting period for people who currently hold a MRP, and for people who do not have a MRP the processing time is approximately six-12 weeks, but this isn't exactly the case.

Young said: “I was not in office when the decision was taken to change to machine-readable passports. However, machine-readable passports have additional security features and the ability to store information that can be accessed internationally. International travel requirements dictate that countries issue machine-readable passports.”

To get direct information on the situation, Newsday called the office of the Chief Immigration Officer, Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews. But her secretary said: "The ministry has to contact her (Gandhi-Andrews) to make any comment to the media.”

In this light, subsequent messages were sent to the minister but all messages have been ignored to date.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 23rd, 2019, 7:43 am

but why? why it has to be like that? What the high management people doing for their salaries if this problem exists like this? 5 month wait for a passport? How unbearable life must get in this country?

The Minister not aware? What a disgusting, lame excuse.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » November 23rd, 2019, 8:02 am

Lmao @ number to call.

Sigh allyuh mango tree people eh play allyuh backward AF na.

I must call a number?? For some CLUELESS Trini to answer? Negro please

Thank god it have allyuh public servants who turn puppets for a few hundred.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » November 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am

When and if they start to issue passport with rfid in T&T it will be chaos again as what happened with the machine readable one.
The ICAO did recommend the epassport as new standard for a travel document a long time ago, like over 10yrs ago.
We backward in this change. Some islands already started the switch.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » November 23rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

^
As usual, we will try our very best to be the last to switch.

Is only when trinis start getting denied entry into foreign countries, they will issue a last minute statement, resulting in the same chaos as the machine readable one.

You just have to accept this as part of our culture and be proud of it.

At least TT has a site where you can register an account and see the exact dates/times/locations of the 'next available appointment' - That is the best we can do.

Back in August/September the earliest date was in January 2020 in Grande, all others were no earlier than March 2020 except for Tobago which was end of November 2019. And even then you still have to wait for the actual passport.

Is not just the system that is pre-historic but also the attitudes and work ethic of some of the stink workers.
Why is it so backlogged?
Is 1.3 million people renewing passport every year?
Or maybe a few thousand, but let's do 5 appointments per day so we cud skin we cacahole for the rest of the day?

I personally know a teacher who paid to get it expedited in time for July/August 2018 holidays and didn't get the passport until over 6 months later because they "couldn't find it" and had the person running around from Point Fortin to Chaguanas to Sando because everybody saying they send it here and there. Well no sheit, since the phones don't work.
And on top of that, they want to play right and showcase their stink attitude.

What are the requirements to work in there? Same thing as police - 1 CXC?

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » November 23rd, 2019, 3:25 pm

Sometimes I does feel that some people deliberately don't want anything to function efficiently on this island.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » November 23rd, 2019, 7:27 pm

vaiostation wrote:Sometimes I does feel that some people deliberately don't want anything to function efficiently on this island.
They're called public servants

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » November 25th, 2019, 10:51 am

ek4ever wrote:
vaiostation wrote:Sometimes I does feel that some people deliberately don't want anything to function efficiently on this island.
They're called suck bataam PNM .
Fixed

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » November 26th, 2019, 1:41 pm

TurboSingh12 wrote:
ek4ever wrote:
They're called suck bataam PNM .
Fixed
Put more accurately....

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 26th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 26th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Set the appointment in Late Sept
Went in
Got the interview
Went back to collect this AM(a few weeks late)

Total time in Passport office less than 1 hr.

Jah Bless de PNM

:D :D :drinking:

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 26th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Redman wrote:Set the appointment in Late Sept
Went in
Got the interview
Went back to collect this AM(a few weeks late)

Total time in Passport office less than 1 hr.

Jah Bless de PNM

:D :D :drinking:
Immigrant

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 26th, 2019, 2:05 pm

lol
Got it Done

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » June 3rd, 2020, 4:36 pm

Seeing lots of available spaces from as early as 8th June

120 spaces available on the 8th June in Point Fortin between 7am - 1pm.
132 on the 9th etc.

Another plus for Covid.

I know olyuh will say "Wey d fork you will go when all airports close worldwide" but remember it already takes like 2 months after the appointment to get it, and I think it valid for 10 years not so?

And I assume all those new spaces was because of some covid health measures ( I don't know if passport offices were opened these last few months) , or because people cancel since they have no immediate need, and planning to wait till last minute, (the trini way) - When airport reopen and air travel finally resumes, everybody going and clog up the system so it would be back to waiting +3 months just for the next available appointment.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”