TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Acceptable lifespan for average car battery!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Re: Acceptable lifespan for average car battery!

Postby PariaMan » May 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am

Would number of starts also have an effect ? With milage being a guide as to how much times started ?
MG Man wrote:
Dave wrote:In Trinidad, heat is the culprit for shortening battery life.

location has a lot to d with it as well. Cars with the battery mounted on the same side as the exhaust manifold for example, get more heat

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 3rd, 2021, 10:07 am

best battery i had was the older american optima. gave me 3 yrs in the car and 4 yrs when i took out the music from the car, and had it playing in the house. and it only damage cause i stopped powering down the battery charger out of laziness.

i recommend track to any body cause that after sales, for same SR reasons. both batteries gave teh same time with the same issue. that too coincidental. but i wanted a music battery so trying this deep cycle. it woudl need to give me 6 to 8yrs for it to match the price to duration of a regular lead acid. all lead acids i had before was between 2 and 3 yrs, so using that and the optima deep cycle 7 yrs as my bench marks.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 4th, 2021, 8:03 am

PariaMan wrote:Would number of starts also have an effect ? With milage being a guide as to how much times started ?
MG Man wrote:

location has a lot to d with it as well. Cars with the battery mounted on the same side as the exhaust manifold for example, get more heat

not really. Proper charge rate is more important than starts

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » May 5th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Si you saying a man who drives 5000 km a year and a man who drives 30000km per year battery will last the same time ?
MG Man wrote:
PariaMan wrote:Would number of starts also have an effect ? With milage being a guide as to how much times started ?
MG Man wrote:

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » May 5th, 2021, 10:36 pm

30k is a lot more heat and vibration so that is not a reasonable comparison. Also one metric used for battery life is by discharge cycles and not starts. They are not the same. Whichever has more heat, vibration, discharges and charging voltage fluctuations will die first regardless of # of starts, assuming similar construction.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 6th, 2021, 4:43 am

So many variables.

In the 5000km for the year example you are looking at approximately 12km per day round trip. Not much battery exposure to heat and vibration, but not much time for it to be recharged either

The 30000km for the year example is approximately 80km round trip. More time for the battery to be recharged but also more time for it to be exposed to heat and vibration

Factor in engine type and size and both scenarios can do similar amounts of damage to the longevity of a battery

Capacity of battery installed for the task also needs to be factored in

Strugglerzinc wrote:30k is a lot more heat and vibration so that is not a reasonable comparison. Also one metric used for battery life is by discharge cycles and not starts. They are not the same. Whichever has more heat, vibration, discharges and charging voltage fluctuations will die first regardless of # of starts, assuming similar construction.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 7th, 2021, 8:24 am

PariaMan wrote:Si you saying a man who drives 5000 km a year and a man who drives 30000km per year battery will last the same time ?
MG Man wrote:
MG Man wrote:

you can drive 5k and 30k a year and start your vehicle the same number of times per day
And as said by others, charging time is a another factor
Hence there are so many variables to factor in, it's really not practical to single out one to use as a rule of thumb

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 10th, 2021, 4:09 pm

So the work from home has affected my car battery. I got a very lazy start on Tuesday having had some lazy tumbles over the past week (I start the engine periodically as I have no where to go). My battery will make 3 years in Sep so its not exactly new. (Power Master btw)

Called Massy ACL but they not open and then called TCM for their home battery installation. They have Bosch, Power Max and Track, all brands I have never used. Any thoughts on which is good? Prices are $835 - Power max, 1,200 Track and 1,495 Bosch. All have 18 months warranty.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 10th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Pricesmart?
I have always had good luck with those.
I won't buy track again.
Bosch is good but expensive and Powermax no experience with.
I know you are an east man but a neighbor got a unit from Champ Fleur auto, not sure if only Rocket they sell.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 10th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Dave wrote:Pricesmart?
I won't buy track again.
I know you are an east man but a neighbor got a unit from Champ Fleur auto, not sure if only Rocket they sell.
Thanks Dave.

The Champ Fleur place is the old LDG? If Rocket I swore never to buy that again. In my first car I bought Rocket twice and each time it lasted a few weeks past the 18 months warranty.

I real liking the home installation from TCM as I not even sure I would get a start now. If no further reviews may try the Power Max.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 10th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Yup old LDG. Not sure what their options are. Roach is open and he has batteries in stock. Got a Miatsu there and he also has Power Master.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » June 10th, 2021, 8:43 pm

why is it every-time my car go over a bump these days the battery light coming on or blinking?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 10th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Battery light means alternator. Do you have an external voltage gauge? Or hook up a dmm to the cig lighter and see if you get a voltage drop when the light blinks. It would indicate a loss of charging so alternator or wiring issue.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » June 10th, 2021, 10:00 pm

rollingstock wrote:Battery light means alternator. Do you have an external voltage gauge? Or hook up a dmm to the cig lighter and see if you get a voltage drop when the light blinks. It would indicate a loss of charging so alternator or wiring issue.

dont have those things. but im guessing maybe more of a wiring issue due to when it happens. maybe loose wiring?

also another phenomenon is AC fan and wipers both seem to get more power (speeds up) when the car accelerating :roll:

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 11th, 2021, 4:00 am

Definitely have an issue with alternator or wiring

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 11th, 2021, 6:32 am

Dizzy28 wrote:So the work from home has affected my car battery. I got a very lazy start on Tuesday having had some lazy tumbles over the past week (I start the engine periodically as I have no where to go). My battery will make 3 years in Sep so its not exactly new. (Power Master btw)

Called Massy ACL but they not open and then called TCM for their home battery installation. They have Bosch, Power Max and Track, all brands I have never used. Any thoughts on which is good? Prices are $835 - Power max, 1,200 Track and 1,495 Bosch. All have 18 months warranty.

Bosch wasnt 3 year warranty?

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » June 11th, 2021, 7:07 am

inspect the chassis ground wire and terminals on battery and alternator. without some kinda multimeter it go be difficult to validate if is alternator or battery but try and sprangle one for a few hours from somebody.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 11th, 2021, 11:28 am

Dave wrote:Yup old LDG. Not sure what their options are. Roach is open and he has batteries in stock. Got a Miatsu there and he also has Power Master.

Called Roach this morning. They have Miatsu for $959
Champ Fleur - Its the Power Master they have at $1028
Also called Lange just to see what their prices look like $1145 with the home installation service.

Will call TCM and take the Power Max after lunch oui!! Cheapest price and most convenient option with the home delivery.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 11th, 2021, 11:53 am

What's the warranty on the Powermax?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 11th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Dave wrote:What's the warranty on the Powermax?

18 Months.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 14th, 2021, 4:50 pm

daxt0r wrote:inspect the chassis ground wire and terminals on battery and alternator. without some kinda multimeter it go be difficult to validate if is alternator or battery but try and sprangle one for a few hours from somebody.

Where you hear that? :roll:
Anyway...

Dizzy
Start the vehicle, and while it's idling disconnect the cable from the + terminal. Make sure that it doesn't touch the body of the vehicle.
If vehicle cuts off, that means that the alternator defective and not generating power to maintain idle and normal operation.
If when you replace the cable on the terminal you see a spark, that means one of two things. Either something in the vehicle is on and drawing current, or there's a leak or short in the electrical system.

Need to start and leave the car idling to charge the battery, once a week is good enough. But the battery also needs to be cycled to maintain its performance and functionality as well. Leaving a battery unattended for weeks can kill it just as dead as tho you drained all the power out of it below the recommended maximum discharge cycle voltage.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » June 14th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Saw many vehicles with failed alternators that could maintain charge rate with no load, and engine wouldn't cut off, but yea do d mango tree test na man just don't expect it to be conclusive an doh be surprised if some sensitive electronic part get damage.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 14th, 2021, 6:27 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Bosch wasnt 3 year warranty?

Yeh,

Some places offer the 36 but you would more get the 18.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 17th, 2021, 9:26 am

88sins wrote:
daxt0r wrote:inspect the chassis ground wire and terminals on battery and alternator. without some kinda multimeter it go be difficult to validate if is alternator or battery but try and sprangle one for a few hours from somebody.

Where you hear that? :roll:
Anyway...

Dizzy
Start the vehicle, and while it's idling disconnect the cable from the + terminal. Make sure that it doesn't touch the body of the vehicle.
If vehicle cuts off, that means that the alternator defective and not generating power to maintain idle and normal operation.
If when you replace the cable on the terminal you see a spark, that means one of two things. Either something in the vehicle is on and drawing current, or there's a leak or short in the electrical system.

Need to start and leave the car idling to charge the battery, once a week is good enough. But the battery also needs to be cycled to maintain its performance and functionality as well. Leaving a battery unattended for weeks can kill it just as dead as tho you drained all the power out of it below the recommended maximum discharge cycle voltage.

Sins,

By the time I saw this post I had already purchased the new battery.
I don't think the alternator was the problem.
Was a near 3 year old battery that was in a vehicle barely used for almost two months. In fact yesterday was the first time filling gas since April.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 17th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Dave wrote:Pricesmart?
I won't buy track again.

out of curiosity, what was the issue with Track?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 17th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Not sure how current track batteries are.

I've had 3 leak along the top edge, enough acid to destroy a section my fuse box cover (3 of them back to back, all replaced under warranty which doesn't cover acid damage)

Had 2 die literally one month after the warranty period.

Generally doesn't give much warning that they are about to fail.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » July 3rd, 2021, 11:50 pm

I'm seeing a new one all over,Ostin with 12 months warranty.I wouldn't expect much from any of these now come batteries

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » July 9th, 2021, 9:23 pm

Anybody know if Massy ACL opening tomorrow?Thinking about trying a Power Master because the reviews on Track reliability eh looking good.If I don't get through with Massy,I"ll try the Alpha.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 9th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Miatsu units are good. Many places sell power masters.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 3rd, 2021, 1:12 pm

Optima Redtop bought at Pricemart in May 2020 no longer holds charge beyond 2 days parked. Going to take it back within the 2 year warranty let's see what they say.

90% sure they will say no issue found. Will report back.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”