Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 22nd, 2021, 8:58 pm

Driver needs more practice
Attachments
FB_IMG_1637628624298.jpg

DMan7
punchin NOS

Re: Trinidad: Pothole capital of the world

Postby DMan7 » November 22nd, 2021, 9:10 pm

Looks like we need to add "pothole driving" to our list of specialty driving certificates like Defensive driving.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 27th, 2021, 10:45 am

Potholes have become a part of our transportation landscape in Trinidad and Tobago and have been blamed for accidents, many taking lives as well as damage to vehicles. But how is it that a country with the largest natural deposit of asphalt in the world has some of the most deplorable roads?

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » November 27th, 2021, 10:57 am

The ministry has advised of a significant number of road repair projects, I however am yet to see one.
One wonders if the Ministry has mistakenly sent their crews in another country or make be they are just 'ghost' crews.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 27th, 2021, 10:57 am

^^^ I know in the UK you can take the Council to court for damages.

I think its time citizens do the same here

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 27th, 2021, 1:05 pm

zoom rader wrote:^^^ I know in the UK you can take the Council to court for damages.

That's the difference between the English and Trinis, they know their rights and stand for such

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 27th, 2021, 1:28 pm

hover11 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:^^^ I know in the UK you can take the Council to court for damages.

That's the difference between the English and Trinis, they know their rights and stand for such
All it would take is for one citizen to take them court and I bet the mind set will change

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » November 27th, 2021, 7:04 pm

zoom rader wrote:
hover11 wrote:

All it would take is for one citizen to take them court and I bet the mind set will change

Nothing will happen unless there's a death-by-pothole.

In some countries, they sue.
Trinis wait for someone to dead first.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 27th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Perhaps some roads need some potholes around Moka and dem kinda places

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » November 27th, 2021, 8:04 pm

timelapse wrote:Perhaps some roads need some potholes around Moka and dem kinda places

Shut your mouth peasant

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » March 14th, 2022, 3:18 pm

_123672029_potholes.jpg

Rod Stewart begs to differ!

_123666776_rod1.jpg

A council has urged people not to try to repair potholes themselves after Sir Rod Stewart was filmed doing it.
Sir Rod claimed the road had been in need of repair "for ages" but that "no-one can be bothered to do it".

Dressed in a tracksuit and high-vis vest, he explained why he and "the boys" decided to fix it themselves.

"People are bashing their cars up. The other day, there was an ambulance with a burst tyre. My Ferrari can't go through here at all," he said.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » March 14th, 2022, 3:20 pm

hahahahahha like that go happen.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » July 21st, 2022, 8:38 am

This image gonna make ur head boil.
:facepalm:

I fed up.
295016650_3314467665484137_2506719640875198164_n.jpg

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 21st, 2022, 9:09 am

aaron17 wrote:This image gonna make ur head boil.

I fed up.295016650_3314467665484137_2506719640875198164_n.jpg

This is really meant to be printed in The Rundown

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » July 21st, 2022, 9:11 am

If you read the article and not just the headline you’ll realize it’s just the opinion of hardwares trying to sell their product. It’s not a Ministry or govt suggestion. Papers hadda sell

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 21st, 2022, 9:19 am

j.o.e wrote:If you read the article and not just the headline you’ll realize it’s just the opinion of hardwares trying to sell their product. It’s not a Ministry or govt suggestion. Papers hadda sell

Yea just finished with the article.
Contractor's Association guy is right. A lot of potholes are beyond surface repairs. All those WASA holes(trenches) dig up and then left to fcuk up your tyres and suspension requires much more than just some asphalt dropped in a hole.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 21st, 2022, 9:43 am

Yea

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » July 21st, 2022, 10:00 am

No one holding WASA accountable for the abysmal repaving??

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 21st, 2022, 10:08 am

It matters not whose opinion it is though. FACT at hand is the government is not maintaining the roads which are in a deplorable state it doesn't matter whose fault it is, they are not being maintained period.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 21st, 2022, 10:58 am

hover11 wrote:It matters not whose opinion it is though. FACT at hand is the government is not maintaining the roads which are in a deplorable state it doesn't matter whose fault it is, they are not being maintained period.

Silo thinking by WASA and MoWT. Is it so hard to coordinate a repair schedule to include repaving? :roll:
It all seems to reek of eatahfoodism.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 21st, 2022, 11:03 am

Most places with nicely paved roads get the money to repair the roads from the same places: fuel surcharges and taxes.

But there is no tax for fuel. The fuel is subsidized instead.

Keep getting those front end alignments and those bent wheels repaired.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 21st, 2022, 11:16 am

aaron17 wrote:This image gonna make ur head boil.

I fed up.295016650_3314467665484137_2506719640875198164_n.jpg

post d whole article nuh bai ... :|

allyuh doh study d veiled ad but d stuff rohani said ... blame d corporations for not doing their wuk but i bet d corps wud say they eh getting funding to it ... so wtf they expect we citizens caught up in d middle to do ?

then d other blame is wasa who will also say lack of equipment & funding ....

https://www.guardian.co.tt/business/fix ... Vny8ko94ls

Geisha Kowlessar-Alonzo

geisha.kowlessar@guardian.co.tt

* Hardware selling "Road Rescue Asphalt Repair” product

* Says one bag can fix potholes seven metres squared

* Works Ministry advises citizens not to fix potholes on their own

* Promises technical help under certain circumstances

Communities fed-up with poor road conditions may be able do the repairs themselves if they are prepared to purchase a new product on the market and get approval from the relevant government agency.

Local hardware Johnny Q is offering its “Road Rescue Asphalt Repair” product which it said can permanently repair holes in asphalt and concrete.

However, Minister of Works and Transport Rohan Sinanan told the Business Guardian that while his ministry is willing to provide technical assistance to those wanting to fix potholes, he warned citizens must first get permission from the authorities.

“Any one wishing to address a pothole should obtain approval from the relevant agency; be it the Minister of Works and Transport, regional corporation or the Ministry of Agriculture,” Sinanan said.

He explained that more harm than good may be done if people took matters into their own hands to fix roads.

“If addressed in the wrong way it can damage the roadway,” the Minister said.

On the other hand, if a private entity is desirous of fixing an area, the ministry generally is willing to provide technical input, once it is an area under its jurisdiction, Sinanan said.

Regarding the product itself, the Works Minister said engineers would have to review to ascertain its suitability.

During an interview with the Business Guardian in May, Sinanan said his ministry was not at fault for the poor state of the country’s roads, noting that the problems lie with WASA and local government bodies.

The issue, he explained, stems from a disconnect between the maintenance and repair of the roads.

It is widely believed his ministry is responsible for the upkeep of roads all across the country, but the minister stressed his remit remained with major road arteries such as the various highways and the Priority Bus Route.

The remainder of the roads Sinanan said are the responsibility of local government bodies or regional corporations.

“The big challenge with potholes in Trinidad, I would say is number one is WASA, and two a major part of the circle is really the regional corporations, to get their people on board to start to work. We have actually reached out to them to give them the material free of charge. The ministry will buy the material, they will put their teams in, but again we were trying to get them on board with that, we were really not too successful in getting them on board. But we will continue to push on for that,” Sinanan had said.

According to the Johnny Q’s site, Road Rescue Asphalt Repair is available at $290 per bag and weighs 50 lbs.

One bag is supposed to repair a site seven square feet and is reportedly “mined and used by state, military, and industrial leaders” and has zero VOC (volatile organic compounds, commonly referred to paints, paint strippers and other solvents and considered to be among the largest sources of indoor volatile organic compounds.

Road Rescue Asphalt Repair is also said to be natural asphalt and processed in the USA, according to the site.

Further, the product promises not to stain or ruin clothes, “unlike oily manufactured asphalts,” and it can be installed during “any weather and at any temperature; wet, dry, hot, or cold.”

Further, there’s no special tools are required.

“It is dry to the touch; has no additives, glues, or binders and it’s simply a five-minute application. Just sweep, fill, and drive,” the site added.

Christopher Joseph, senior supervisor for the Johnny Q Division at Ariapita Avenue, described the product as “asphalt base; basically like pitch.

“So, it will last a long while. But is also depends on the amount of traffic going on at the area,” Joseph said.

And since it was first introduced to the market two weeks ago, Joseph said the response has been quite good.

“When customers come in and they see the product they have been purchasing it. Or when they go on our site they would call to see it we have it and they come to purchase it,” Joseph said, adding that there have also been numerous calls from people enquiring about the item.

And based on this response he said it could perhaps mean that people maybe seeking to do road repairs in their communities themselves.

But is Road Rescue Asphalt Repair truly viable?

President of the T&T Contractors’ Association Glenn Mahabirsingh said while it can be used for potholes, it however, will bring only temporary relief as this depends on the depth and size of the hole.

“Some of the problems of the roads are not necessarily surface issues. There may be a base or an underlying condition like a water leak and therefore, the base may need strengthening which will require more than asphalt.

“Hence, asphalt is really part of the application. If you simply put asphalt it may fail. There’s more to it when it comes to repairing a pothole,” Mahabirsingh explained.

He said asphalt surfacing on minor roads takes into consideration two to three inches but sometimes potholes may even be deeper.

“In that case aggregate base improvement has to be done first and then put asphalt on it,” he added.

But Mahabirsingh agreed that the product is convenient as it allows the average home-owner the ease of having “asphalt in a bag.”

“If homeowners need a spot repair for their driveway for instance, this item can be purchased off the shelf and applied by any non-craft or non-technical person. For domestic repairs it is innovative,” Mahabirsingh said as he described the product as a “do-it-yourself repair measure.”

The Business Guardian also reached out to former director of Highways for the Ministry of Works and Transport Roger Ganesh who said he used a similar product and could vouch for its effectiveness in certain instances.

“I’m familiar with such products, however, make sure it’s not made in China. It’s ideal for small jobs and does not requires manual labour and compaction equipment but small hand tools,” Ganesh said.

But he said the price is a drawback as it’s too costly.

“A very good product. I use to buy it from an agent here years ago but that price too expensive,” he said.

On whether it could be used to fix potholes he explained that there are some limitations.

“It’s good enough for small to medium depth pot holes only, not the craters on some of our roads. Deeper holes require a combination crush stone first and then the asphalt about two inches minimum,” he added.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » July 21st, 2022, 11:35 am

In my area, the majority of road damage is caused by Wasa. In speaking to Wasa, they have a road repair department which is totally separated and works independent to the leak repair department. So the opportunity is ripe for massive corruption in the repair or non repair of the roads.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » July 21st, 2022, 11:48 am

When the response is "sure, but get my approval first" instead of "wait, that's my job.. tell me where and I'll make sure it gets fixed", you know your $'000 of tax dollars extracted every month from your neo-slavery salary are being used to pay rent for some govt building, instead of road repair. This is where we're at.

(And I'm not even confident that aunty helicopter kams can do any better btw.)

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 21st, 2022, 1:15 pm

Lol if dey fire the thousands of useless staff that wasa has they would have money for repairs

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 21st, 2022, 6:17 pm

MoWT slams 'misleading' Guardian article on fixing potholes yourself
https://tt.loopnews.com/content/mowt-sl ... s-yourself

The Ministry of Works and Transport (MoWT) has slammed the Trinidad Business Guardian for what it labelled a "misleading" article.

The report was published on Wednesday titled “Fix your own potholes”.

In it, journalist Geisha Kowlessar-Alonzo noted that members of the public can work together to fix potholes on their own. However, she said they must get the approval of the MoWT as she quoted Works Minister Rohan Sinanan. Sinanan also said that it might not be a good idea.

In a statement on Thursday, the MoWT raised an issue with the headline which was described as "incendiary in nature" and reflective of a "growing trend in irresponsible journalism".

"While the author may be seeking to captivate readers, this headline is problematic as it greatly mischaracterizes the message of the Minister of Works and Transport, who in the article emphasized that, 'more harm than good may be done if people took matters into their own hands to fix roads'. This is quite the opposite sentiment of the sensationalist title."

As it relates to the section of the article that discusses private entities being desirous of fixing an area, the Ministry sought to clarify the matter.

"Arrangements of this nature are in alignment with established Public-Private Partnership guidelines. What the Minister described to the journalist was the possibility of public-private arrangements in which the Ministry will review and provide technical advice to an established body or group. This is often carried out by companies or organisations in the vein of Corporate Social Responsibility. The Minister’s statement also clearly warns that if addressed the wrong way, overzealous but unskilled individuals can damage the roadway."

The MoWT reiterated that the article conjures an approach that is irresponsible and invites everyone to take personal action to “fix” road issues in their community.

"While the Ministry understands and acknowledges the concerns of the general public, in most situations, such actions can further damage the county’s $40 billion dollar road network."

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 21st, 2022, 6:36 pm

all dat setta talk, brakesing , blame game & BS but when is election time even d good roads does suddenly get paved overnight

i think LGE due this yr so look out road paving alla sudden ...

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm

the headline was misleading

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”