Forums

Water pump

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Water pump

Postby Chimera » July 10th, 2021, 9:48 am

Gladiator wrote:As someone that manages 92 water pumps ranging from 1/2HP to 10HP please dont put a filter on the suction side of your water pump. It will restrict flow and cause your pump to cavitate reducing its lifespan tremendously.

as someone who has one 3/4 HP Pump
my professional advice is that you listen to gladiator

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 10th, 2021, 2:08 pm

viedcht wrote:^Yeah I done pull it out arredy. Same evening it start causing problems. Organised with some help to drain and clean the tanks... Costing a grand in total, because I have 2 600gal on one side connected to each other, 3 450gal on other side of platform, and a reserve 450gal. Going to do some plumbing alterations and getting the area power washed for that fee.

To anybody who does neglect their household water system like mihself... Doh do like me; clean Yuh tanks dem often, even if you filtering your kitchen and shower plumbing. Filter wasa line instead.

Try to make a siphon vacuum with a piece of pipe and a hose... that should allow you to suck out the muck from the bottom and save most of the water...

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » July 10th, 2021, 5:02 pm

Gladiator wrote:
viedcht wrote:^Yeah I done pull it out arredy. Same evening it start causing problems. Organised with some help to drain and clean the tanks... Costing a grand in total, because I have 2 600gal on one side connected to each other, 3 450gal on other side of platform, and a reserve 450gal. Going to do some plumbing alterations and getting the area power washed for that fee.

To anybody who does neglect their household water system like mihself... Doh do like me; clean Yuh tanks dem often, even if you filtering your kitchen and shower plumbing. Filter wasa line instead.

Try to make a siphon vacuum with a piece of pipe and a hose... that should allow you to suck out the muck from the bottom and save most of the water...
I was actually thinking of renting/ borrowing one of them fellahs pump that they use to 'bail' river. Just upset a half tank water to loosen silt and draw it out...

Groovemaster
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Groovemaster » February 2nd, 2022, 11:34 pm

Hi Tuners, I have a Pentax CA200/00 2hp. It recently started to intermittently fail to power on.

Each time I'd open the pressure switch to see it making contact yet the motor is not turning. I would then flip the contacts opening the circuit & it would then close the circuit and power on the motor.

I replaced the pressure switch & set it to a 50 / 70 cut in / cut out pressure... As how it was set up before & worked great but now still get the problem of motor not turning with pressure switch contacts being in closed position.

Advise greatly appreciated

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 3rd, 2022, 5:06 am

measure with a meter and see whats going to the pump itself, had issues like that and it was the switch itself and the wiring.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2022, 6:41 am

Could be the motor start capacitor
also some of the better pentax have a thermal protection,
it is a thermal cutoff diode which blocks current at a certain temp, maybe it is malfunctioning.

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 3rd, 2022, 7:43 am

Groovemaster wrote:Hi Tuners, I have a Pentax CA200/00 2hp. It recently started to intermittently fail to power on.

Each time I'd open the pressure switch to see it making contact yet the motor is not turning. I would then flip the contacts opening the circuit & it would then close the circuit and power on the motor.

I replaced the pressure switch & set it to a 50 / 70 cut in / cut out pressure... As how it was set up before & worked great but now still get the problem of motor not turning with pressure switch contacts being in closed position.

Could be the pressure switch,
There are a lot of inferior pressure switches being sold nationwide.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2022, 7:51 am

but he say it still malfunctioning with switch in closed position

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 3rd, 2022, 9:02 am

Put a digital switch

Groovemaster
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Groovemaster » February 4th, 2022, 10:27 pm

Update:

50gal tank diaphragm was busted. I replaced with a similar.
Pressured it to 48psi before install. Iit worked great for 1.5days and same issue with contacts in closed position and pump not turning on.

Installed a new square D FSG2 pressure switch...
Lowered pressure in tank to 30psi *****
And began setting the pressure switch till I got it turning on at 40psi and off at 60psi

What bothers me is the pressure in the tank should be 2psi lower than cut in pressure but it's currently 10psi lower.... Somehow I feel it going to do the same thing again.

Also note that the pressure tank takes direct sunlight and the pump is barely shielded by a metal housing..... Could this environment contribute to the problem

Skillys
Street 2NR

Postby Skillys » February 5th, 2022, 12:02 pm

Check and make sure all your check valves are working properly, maybe one is giving trouble.

Trini Hookah
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Trini Hookah » February 5th, 2022, 7:27 pm

wheelbarrow wrote:
Groovemaster wrote:Hi Tuners, I have a Pentax CA200/00 2hp. It recently started to intermittently fail to power on.

Could be the pressure switch,
There are a lot of inferior pressure switches being sold nationwide.

Could also be due for a service

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 5th, 2022, 8:00 pm

Groovemaster wrote:Update:

50gal tank diaphragm was busted. I replaced with a similar.
Pressured it to 48psi before install. Iit worked great for 1.5days and same issue with contacts in closed position and pump not turning on.

Installed a new square D FSG2 pressure switch...
Lowered pressure in tank to 30psi *****
And began setting the pressure switch till I got it turning on at 40psi and off at 60psi

What bothers me is the pressure in the tank should be 2psi lower than cut in pressure but it's currently 10psi lower.... Somehow I feel it going to do the same thing again.

Also note that the pressure tank takes direct sunlight and the pump is barely shielded by a metal housing..... Could this environment contribute to the problem

If it’s a Pentax CAB 200, that cut out pressure that you are running the pump at is a bit low.
The optimal running pressure (middle of the pump curve) on that model pump is 75PSI.
And at 75 PSI that pump is pushing 18 gallons of water a min.

The pump will probably (I’m not sure of the application) be cycling while water is being used, this extra cycling of the pump is causing the damage to the switch.

You should consider installing a complete starter (Contactor with overload relay) on the system. The Contactor will be able to handle switching better than that 10A FSG 2 pressure switch.
I believe the rated Amps on that CAB 200 is 10.3A, this is why the contacts on the pressure switch are becoming pitted

The only thing the sun will do to the tank is fade the exterior paint.

Groovemaster
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Groovemaster » February 7th, 2022, 7:37 pm

Wow... Really nice insight... Thanks

richiepooh
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby richiepooh » February 11th, 2022, 6:05 am

Pump installations and repairs

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 12th, 2022, 10:34 am

So the pressure switch on my goulds 3/4 hp pump went bad. Got a replacement but now when it's was installed, the pump coming on for 3seconds then cutting off for 3 seconds (assuming it's short cycling).

Checked the pressure tank and no water is coming out of the air valve at the top. Knocked the pressure tank and the top is hollow while the bottom is solid(has water) What could be the possible causes?

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 12th, 2022, 10:35 am

Also the stock setting on the pressure switch is 20/40, same as the last one. Don't really want to adjust these settings. Want the same functionality as before.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 12th, 2022, 11:46 am

what was the prob b4

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 12th, 2022, 1:27 pm

Jerry84 wrote:So the pressure switch on my goulds 3/4 hp pump went bad. Got a replacement but now when it's was installed, the pump coming on for 3seconds then cutting off for 3 seconds (assuming it's short cycling).

Checked the pressure tank and no water is coming out of the air valve at the top. Knocked the pressure tank and the top is hollow while the bottom is solid(has water) What could be the possible causes?

Leaking check valve if it's happening when not in use. If it happens while a tap is open you need to raise your pressure setting on the switch

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » April 12th, 2022, 9:36 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Also the stock setting on the pressure switch is 20/40, same as the last one. Don't really want to adjust these settings. Want the same functionality as before.

Check for leaks, but if none then you will need to adjust the pressure switch.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 13th, 2022, 10:37 am

Jerry84 wrote:So the pressure switch on my goulds 3/4 hp pump went bad. Got a replacement but now when it's was installed, the pump coming on for 3seconds then cutting off for 3 seconds (assuming it's short cycling).

1. Check any oneway valves.
2. Adjust your tank's pressure to be set at about 2 psi below the pressure switch's desired cut-on point.
3. Adjust your pump's pressure switch with a gauge of known accuracy.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 13th, 2022, 11:41 am

pugboy wrote:what was the prob b4
The pressure switch went bad

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 13th, 2022, 11:42 am

Thanks for the suggestions

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » August 23rd, 2022, 11:09 am

So a few years ago, I replaced my water pump with pressure tank, with one with a smart head. Almost immediately, the water flow through the faucets was weird. When I turn on a faucet, the water would take a few seconds to build up and then flow with good pressure for about 25 seconds and then taper off for about 5-10 seconds before flowing good again.
Any advice on what could be the issue there.

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » August 23rd, 2022, 11:13 am

Isolate the Pressure tank.

The Smart head has a designed Start and Stop pressure set.

The Pressure Tank gives a false head Start Pressure.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 23rd, 2022, 12:30 pm

goalpost wrote:So a few years ago, I replaced my water pump with pressure tank, with one with a smart head. Almost immediately, the water flow through the faucets was weird. When I turn on a faucet, the water would take a few seconds to build up and then flow with good pressure for about 25 seconds and then taper off for about 5-10 seconds before flowing good again.
Any advice on what could be the issue there.

sounds like the smart head cutting in and out?
Once the tap open it should basically remain on

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 23rd, 2022, 1:22 pm

Maybe it was a defective control unit from the start. What model and brand? Maybe it has programming to do a 30-second cycle so the head won't overheat? (doubt) Or the water input not a reliable steady pressure and has to build up? Check the pump output all the way to the tap for any sort of clogs, or a filter that could cause the pressure to cut off if the outflow is not more than constant 1 L/minute. Does it still happen if you insert a tap on the line right after the pump output, less than 1 meter away?

My short experience with an automatic pressure control head since June is constant flow up to 5 bars once it's on and only cuts off when the tap is closed. What about the input voltage, is it constant above 108V? Put a breakermatic on the plug to protect the electronics from undervoltage/spikes.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 23rd, 2022, 1:51 pm

smart heads give a lot of trouble

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » September 9th, 2022, 9:55 am

Good info on thread.

But I’m doing a new install and want a solid recommendation of a pump.

It’s for a 2 level domestic house. More than likely, the pump is going to be used 5 days of the week consistently due to water issues.

So I’m looking for something powerful, durable, fairly quiet but also won’t be making a lot of noise and cycling frequently.

Thanks

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » September 10th, 2022, 6:13 am

thelem-again wrote:Good info on thread.

But I’m doing a new install and want a solid recommendation of a pump.

It’s for a 2 level domestic house. More than likely, the pump is going to be used 5 days of the week consistently due to water issues.

So I’m looking for something powerful, durable, fairly quiet but also won’t be making a lot of noise and cycling frequently.

Thanks

Goulds all the way

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”