Forums

Leaving Trinidad for good...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Leaving Trinidad for good...

Postby Dizzy28 » March 9th, 2023, 1:40 pm

timothymcdavid wrote:Leaving Trini for good ... TT government opened up more sectors for CARICOM nationals to come in and work ... mind you these are for the most part lower end jobs but the gaps regards teachers and nurses tell you something.

New categories of caricom nationals allowed to come and work in Trinbago

agricultural workers, security guards, beauty service practitioners, barbers, non-graduate nurses and non-graduate teachers eligible for free movement of labour within Caricom.

https://newsday.co.tt/2023/03/08/carico ... ation-act/

People forget that we are a member of a single market and economy in CARICOM?
What did they think it means?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » March 9th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
timothymcdavid wrote:Leaving Trini for good ... TT government opened up more sectors for CARICOM nationals to come in and work ... mind you these are for the most part lower end jobs but the gaps regards teachers and nurses tell you something.

New categories of caricom nationals allowed to come and work in Trinbago

agricultural workers, security guards, beauty service practitioners, barbers, non-graduate nurses and non-graduate teachers eligible for free movement of labour within Caricom.

https://newsday.co.tt/2023/03/08/carico ... ation-act/

People forget that we are a member of a single market and economy in CARICOM?
What did they think it means?
This takes away employment from locals however who are facing a huge downturn in the economy, this initiative may have been welcomed in our oil boom days however at the moment it is a burden.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 9th, 2023, 2:08 pm

^ i hope they have quotas for the amt of ppl coming, depending on the job and vacancies- they shouldn't be anyone local unemployed here as a result of this.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » March 9th, 2023, 3:38 pm

Rents will go up

i_code_and_stuff
Street 2NR

Postby i_code_and_stuff » March 9th, 2023, 3:48 pm

think people overlooking the fact that the caricom single market/economy works both ways. as in, trinis can go to other places and "take employment away" from those locals. now, would other countries want to hire you with your lazy, entitled and unproductive trini mindset? that's a different question, but the opportunity will be there

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » March 9th, 2023, 4:14 pm

i_code_and_stuff wrote:think people overlooking the fact that the caricom single market/economy works both ways. as in, trinis can go to other places and "take employment away" from those locals. now, would other countries want to hire you with your lazy, entitled and unproductive trini mindset? that's a different question, but the opportunity will be there
Who wants to leave to work in a country with a lower standard of living than that of their native land?

Make it make sense.

Guyana is the only country there which may have a bright future ahead of them but after the way we treated their ppl , don't count on a job there.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » March 9th, 2023, 10:09 pm

How do you guys finance your lives when outside of Trinidad?
Is it only with credit cards since US is hard to obtain from the banks?

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 10th, 2023, 1:16 pm

AlphaMan wrote:How do you guys finance your lives when outside of Trinidad?

International bank accounts, I can also access my local bank accounts via my debit cards, or use my TT credit cards, but since I have international ones now, I don't really have a reason to use them. May end up cancelling them when I visit Trinidad next. Only keep as much money in Trinidad as you need or are waiting to move.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » March 10th, 2023, 3:57 pm

triniterribletim wrote:

International bank accounts, I can also access my local bank accounts via my debit cards, or use my TT credit cards, but since I have international ones now, I don't really have a reason to use them. May end up cancelling them when I visit Trinidad next. Only keep as much money in Trinidad as you need or are waiting to move.

What country did you move to?
Where did you get the US currency to open a foreign bank account?

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 10th, 2023, 4:57 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

What country did you move to?
Where did you get the US currency to open a foreign bank account?

I moved to Brazil. You don't need US dollars to open an account here. I just stuck my credit card in an ATM and withdrew 500 BRL (around 700 TTD inclusive of the conversion fee) to start with. I opened an account with Santander, a Spanish bank based in Madrid that is in the top 20 largest financial institutions in the world, present in all international finance centers, so I have access to my money and international securities access with a major global financial institution. Took a year of transactions going and coming but I ended up getting a credit card with a 2000 USD (10000 BRL) limit equivalent after starting off with a card with a 100 USD (500 BRL) limit. Getting USD here or virtually any major currency is no problem. Just place an in app order and pick up at whichever branch you want to.

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » March 14th, 2023, 1:36 pm

My plan is to use my credit cards for the first month or two but there are a couple of currency exchange places locally where you can get US cash for 8:1 or 9:1 depending on the day. I won't suggest getting too much cash as you will have to declare anything over $10,000.

If you migrate with a proper plan in place you should be more than able to find a job and live off of your salary after 3 months max.

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » March 14th, 2023, 1:39 pm

What are your thoughts on owning property locally when living abroad? The older people in my life have been insisting that I would be foolish to not own a property in T&T even though I plan on leaving and never looking back.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 14th, 2023, 10:13 pm

leavingforgood wrote:What are your thoughts on owning property locally when living abroad? The older people in my life have been insisting that I would be foolish to not own a property in T&T even though I plan on leaving and never looking back.

If you have one, good for you. If you really never plan on coming back, then that could be so many things elsewhere. Could also be a nest egg for an expensive medical emergency if it's the US you're heading to.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 15th, 2023, 9:25 am

Would you all accept a job offer in another Caribbean island for more or less the same compensation you working for here?
Considering it would cost money to relocate, rent to be paid when none is being paid now etc you actually end up worse off money wise but get foreign work experience and in a country with much less crime than TT.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 15th, 2023, 9:49 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Would you all accept a job offer in another Caribbean island for more or less the same compensation you working for here?
Considering it would cost money to relocate, rent to be paid when none is being paid now etc you actually end up worse off money wise but get foreign work experience and in a country with much less crime than TT.

for equal or better, I might consider it. Current work ecosystem has this built in to apply for jobs across the other landed campuses.
Would be complex with the Wife and Kid in tow, as I won't wanna interrupt or overly disrupt her education. Plus we're a dual spouse work household, so it will also depend if wifey can land an equal or better post as well.

Won't be willing to relocate for a pay cut.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 15th, 2023, 9:57 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:Would you all accept a job offer in another Caribbean island for more or less the same compensation you working for here?

for equal or better, I might consider it. Current work ecosystem has this built in to apply for jobs across the other landed campuses.
Would be complex with the Wife and Kid in tow, as I won't wanna interrupt or overly disrupt her education. Plus we're a dual spouse work household, so it will also depend if wifey can land an equal or better post as well.

Won't be willing to relocate for a pay cut.

Yea the kiddo would always be my biggest factor to think about.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 15th, 2023, 12:33 pm

For a couple few years, why not, living away from home is always an eye opening experience that you probably won't regret. That said, the work experience there might not be as good compared to bigger countries or Trinidad.

IMO most Caribbean islands can get quite boring after sometime compared to T&T. You will miss your friends and family here, and the local women could leave a lot to be desired.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 15th, 2023, 6:53 pm

I wouldn't mind Grenada, I could stay by my uncle Donald, but Grenada definitely ain't Trinidad. The CoL is a lot higher in most Caribbean islands as well. As a side grade to this question, would you accept a job in South America at equal to Trinidad compensation?

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 16th, 2023, 1:32 pm

If i leaving TT an want all my TT$ converted to USD will the bank do it or still bs me with "we dont have usd"?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 16th, 2023, 1:44 pm

daring dragoon wrote:If i leaving TT an want all my TT$ converted to USD will the bank do it or still bs me with "we dont have usd"?

Lol what do you think?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 16th, 2023, 1:45 pm

check the lutchmansingh chap, he can convert for you

daring dragoon wrote:If i leaving TT an want all my TT$ converted to USD will the bank do it or still bs me with "we dont have usd"?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 16th, 2023, 1:45 pm

lol....are your well connected?

I know of several ppl living Canada and they can't get enough CAD$ for the monthly rent they receiving in TT$ on the properties they own here. And its not even some overly big sums.

You want an entire bank account converted into US$??

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 16th, 2023, 1:52 pm

i mean if his entire bank account is less than $300 usd then he wud get tru eh

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 16th, 2023, 2:04 pm

:D :D :D

Phone Surgeon wrote:i mean if his entire bank account is less than $300 usd then he wud get tru eh

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 16th, 2023, 3:14 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:

lol....are your well connected?

I know of several ppl living Canada and they can't get enough CAD$ for the monthly rent they receiving in TT$ on the properties they own here. And its not even some overly big sums.

You want an entire bank account converted into US$??

They should just be using their credit cards and then paying it with TTD, simple. If they cancelled their local credit cards while still having a TTD cash flow then they have no excuses.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 16th, 2023, 3:18 pm

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 18th, 2023, 3:09 am

triniterribletim wrote:

so hard luck for those to want to leave trinidad for good. rowlee doh wah you go no wey. :)

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 18th, 2023, 6:45 am

daring dragoon wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

so hard luck for those to want to leave trinidad for good. rowlee doh wah you go no wey. :)

You have at least one credit card with a decent limit, I assume? Access to online banking to pay off your balance before interest charges accrue? Just use that for your day to day expenses. Rowley isn't stopping anyone who wants to leave. You just have to do it and not look back.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » March 18th, 2023, 8:32 am

When I left I converted a decent amount to euros by going to bank every week. Out if the common ones I got the best from Scotia, maybe 1500 to 2000 a week. The others were 200 etc.
But foreign exchange limits in TT is absurd

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 19th, 2023, 2:20 pm

d way crime was so rampant yesterday all over, those who were thinking to ride out must be make up their minds now ...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”