Forums

Leaving Trinidad for good...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 3rd, 2019, 2:42 pm

Every sector or Industry is maxed out in Trinidad. No Vacancies in teaching, Medical Field, Engineering, Project Management etc..
Is leaving Trinidad the best option?
For persons that migrated, or lived a portion of their lives abroad, what are the issues with surviving elsewhere as a Trini?

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Leaving Trinidad for good...

Postby car » May 3rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

wtf wrote:Every sector or Industry is maxed out in Trinidad. No Vacancies in teaching, Medical Field, Engineering, Project Management etc..
For persons that migrated, or lived a portion of their lives abroad, what are the issues with surviving elsewhere as a Trini?

You will suffer anywhere you go but you will suffer the most by staying here.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 3rd, 2019, 2:59 pm

wtf wrote:Every sector or Industry is maxed out in Trinidad. No Vacancies in teaching, Medical Field, Engineering, Project Management etc..
If you have some sort of support abroad then it's in your best interest to leave for the better.

If you can line up a job abroad then leave bro.

Don't waste your time hoping for that trini dream job.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » May 3rd, 2019, 3:01 pm

Leaving is the only good option. I mean if things so bad now, when you have children imagine how this place gonna be? How Trinidad will turn out in 20 years?

Better ya flip burgers in the USA or Canada, because you will at least be giving your family a fighting chance. Plus they would have better healthcare and education, as well as more options in a larger job market.

I mean life in Trinidad was always hard, but at least a couple decades ago we had our culture and heritage to fall back on, as well as no crime. So the burden of poverty wasn't so devastating. But now we have none of that. And these stink politicians just making it worse.

Just as the indians left the poverty in india to come to trinidad, the time has reached for Trinidadians to leave trindad for somewhere else.
Last edited by vaiostation on May 3rd, 2019, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » May 3rd, 2019, 3:02 pm

vaiostation wrote:Leaving is the only good option. I mean if things so bad now, when you have children imagine how this place gonna be? How Trinidad will turn out in 20 years?

Better ya flip burgers in the USA or Canada, because you will at least be giving your family a fighting chance. Plus they would have better healthcare and education, as well as more options in a larger job market.

I mean life in Trinidad was always hard, but at least a couple decades ago we had our culture and heritage to fall back on, as well as no crime. So the burden of poverty wasn't so devastating. But now we have none of that. And these stink politicians just making it worse.

Just as the indians left the poverty in india to come to trinidad, the time has reached for us to leave trindad for somewhere else.

Well said.

Average
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Average » May 3rd, 2019, 3:04 pm

Plenty ppl who left ketching dey ass. I and all studying to buss out because here eh have no kinda positives.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 3rd, 2019, 3:11 pm

vaiostation wrote:Leaving is the only good option. I mean if things so bad now, when you have children imagine how this place gonna be? How Trinidad will turn out in 20 years?

Just as the indians left the poverty in india to come to trinidad, the time has reached for Trinidadians to leave trindad for somewhere else.

Healthcare doesn't just appear like magic even in Canada. You would have to pay for it and flipping burgers might mean you were better of on Trinidad if hit with a serious illness than being in one of those two countries.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 3rd, 2019, 3:18 pm

Since 1948 trinis have been migrating .
It happens in waves.
1948 to 1962 they left in masses to the UK cause they were invited.
After 1962 the UK stopped mass immgration and the US opened immigration 1966. Later Canada started to accept in the 1970s.

So there was always people leaving.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 3rd, 2019, 3:44 pm

You're so right in every sense..Trinidad has gone to the dogs.. Life here is just pure survival. Even if you are educated with UWI degrees.
Crime is horrible.
Cant imagine what would happen 5 years from now let alone 20...
Ive read somewhere that over the last 57 years in this country, 1 trillion dollars has been spent (budgets) yet this is the condition of Trinidad today..

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » May 3rd, 2019, 7:41 pm

I migrated to Canada 3 years ago , best move in my life , both my parents died just wanted a change , could a choose USA but Canada was the better choice , i sold out every asset back home so i had a lil dough to give me a good start, recently became a PR , so i'm covered by OHIP , but before got sick once wasn't covered costed about $200 cad about $1100 TT .

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 3rd, 2019, 8:21 pm

zoom rader wrote:

Since 1948 trinis have been migrating .
It happens in waves.
1948 to 1962 they left in masses to the UK cause they were invited.
After 1962 the UK stopped mass immgration and the US opened immigration 1966. Later Canada started to accept in the 1970s.

So there was always people leaving.

how old u is, hoss?

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » May 3rd, 2019, 8:25 pm

ruffrider27 wrote:I migrated to Canada 3 years ago , best move in my life , both my parents died just wanted a change , could a choose USA but Canada was the better choice , i sold out every asset back home so i had a lil dough to give me a good start, recently became a PR , so i'm covered by OHIP , but before got sick once wasn't covered costed about $200 cad about $1100 TT .

Why was Canada the better option? Personal reasons or opportunities?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 3rd, 2019, 10:12 pm

Heard a lot of people who left and others who are planning to go to Canada. They want immigrants with skills.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 3rd, 2019, 11:37 pm

I heard to go Canada you have to be young, educated and you must pass some UWI English exam to be invited into their country. I also heard that hundreds of people sit the exam each month, the majority of which are doing so to enter Canada (and it not cheap, think it’s like $2k per exam). Lastly, I was told the main thing is French. Once you could speak French you GT. But winter time up there different, it can get so cold, it’s like getting stabbed repeatedly with knives.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » May 3rd, 2019, 11:49 pm

agent007 wrote:I heard to go Canada you have to be young, educated and you must pass some UWI English exam to be invited into their country. I also heard that hundreds of people sit the exam each month, the majority of which are doing so to enter Canada (and it not cheap, think it’s like $2k per exam). Lastly, I was told the main thing is French. Once you could speak French you GT. But winter time up there different, it can get so cold, it’s like getting stabbed repeatedly with knives.

yeah you can dress for the cold and be warm. you cannot dress to protect yourself from the whats going on in the country.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » May 4th, 2019, 12:23 am

I'll give my situation. 31 married, 3 month old baby. I'm a us citizen so i have the option to take my family there, but we would be basically starting from scratch. wife's law degree wont mean a thing. im basically self employed so jumping into another country would see me start from zero. We also have the option of going to canada, in fact we applied and received a permanent resident invitation which is about 80% complete. However the same situation applies, though it might be a bit worse in Canada in that they require you to have canadian work experience & education (immigrants wont have this, even though you enter the country based on education/work experience) so you then again have to start from scratch in most fields. Canada is larger than usa with the budget of California. Great high paying jobs have very high competition. even if you are the best of the best, you still have to go through their system for those jobs since almost everything is regulated, unless you wana open your own business. I have a good amount of family support in a few states in usa, wife has family support in canada. Flip side is we enjoy a certain standard of living in trinidad right now esp with tremendous family support, which we wont be able to sustain if we left. Wife has a good secure well paying job with benefits, and im not doing too bad myself, its just a shame the country is the way it is. We cant really get to enjoy things. walking on the street in florida or ontario feels SO MUCH safer than trinidad, sorry to say. I honestly love this place so im torn every morning when i wake up and i have to continually make a decision to stay or leave. Both wife and i agree that leaving would be much better for our child which we probably would end up doing. What hurts me the most is all the car projects ive been doing for years are almost completed and i wont get to enjoy them. ill have to part out or sell wayyyy under what i spent plus all that time+ energy just gone. I think thats why im so on the fence with moving.
Last edited by TheBoostLord on May 4th, 2019, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » May 4th, 2019, 12:26 am

agent007 wrote:I heard to go Canada you have to be young, educated and you must pass some UWI English exam to be invited into their country. I also heard that hundreds of people sit the exam each month, the majority of which are doing so to enter Canada (and it not cheap, think it’s like $2k per exam). Lastly, I was told the main thing is French. Once you could speak French you GT. But winter time up there different, it can get so cold, it’s like getting stabbed repeatedly with knives.

its a kina long process but being able to speak french isnt a great deal of help on its own. you just get extra points on your application and the ability to immigrate directly into quebec. yes the language exams are $2k per person and valid for 2 years.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » May 4th, 2019, 1:12 am

TheBoostLord

If crime is your only worry then why not spend more on security instead of uprooting ya life. Also spending more time out of trinidad might be a good option as well. Sounds like you have a good life that you wouldn't be able to match in Canada etc.

I feel the better option might be to explore your options in the US as a citizen rather than canada as an immigrant. There's a difference between starting from scratch as a citizen and an immigrant. Maybe even stay somewhere close that has a trini presence like Florida or something. That may help with providing something akin to familial support.

Also don't overthink it too much. Measure it up. Where is the cost of living cheaper etc. What transferrable skills your wife has. In the USA lawyers start their careera at a later age around 26+ I believe, so if she is 31 as well then she may not be too far behind the pack plus she's already a practicing lawyer so the knowledge is already there. There are UK schools that offer US bar prep/exams etc to allow uk law degrees to transfer to US law system. Could check it out.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 4th, 2019, 7:34 am

BoostLord, so what happens after 2yrs? People have to do refreshers? If so this reminds me of CompTIA and their money making move.

Question, does Canada recognize T&T degrees and work experience etc?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 4th, 2019, 7:41 am

OP have you looked at Australia. A lot of UK folk migrate to Oz. I know it's far but thet seem to have a points system for young educated folk.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 4th, 2019, 8:21 am

Agree with ZR Australia and NZ are options to look at

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » May 4th, 2019, 8:56 am

It's never an easy to leave the country of your birth.

You will face struggles wherever you go, but if you have a plan, you can succeed. American ppl dodge a bullet. Democrats would have bankrupted the country. At least in war you are expanding your power. Spending money on illegal immigrants and useless crap benefits no one in the country.

But with the current leadership, they only know to destroy

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » May 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm

agent007 wrote:BoostLord, so what happens after 2yrs? People have to do refreshers? If so this reminds me of CompTIA and their money making move.

Question, does Canada recognize T&T degrees and work experience etc?

The whole immigration process seems like a money making thing to me. for the language tests they expire and results are no longer valid so you have to redo.

You have to get your edu certs evaluated and then yeah it will be recognized, BUT then if you go for a job they can simply say you dont have canadian edu, since employers are obligated to hire locally trained residents/citizens before anyone else. That happens wayyy more than not. You can get jobs that no one really wants, fast foods, supermarkets etc or you can get a trade job, electrician, plumber etc which does pay decent, but you have to get licensed which means attending a canadian scl. Doesnt matter if you were and electrical engineer for 10 years, you have to go through the system. Even canadians that left the country and went to scl/work elsewhere that have returned have the same trouble of getting jobs, its really silly and a subtle form of discrimination.

Only people who seem to have a way through are those highly skilled highly educated tech ppl that make apps and programs and stuff since thats a top industry there. You can google it and see how the situation really is. They have excellent marketing to attract immigrants and it works but the reality isnt that rosy. Your kids however would benefit tremendously to be born/grow up in such a place, 2nd gen really reap the rewards. Housing is expensive, and that free healthcare is a nice chunk of tax you pay and wait times are comparable to public hospitals right here.

That being said there are a lot of positives. Safety, heavily subsidised tertiary education, PLENTY Space, friendly people, LOTS to see & do, etc. but you wont get rich living there. you can achieve a decent standard of living if you dont mind conforming at bit to their system. There are salary caps for doctors and such. i guess you can always open your own business.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » May 4th, 2019, 1:32 pm

zoom rader wrote:OP have you looked at Australia. A lot of UK folk migrate to Oz. I know it's far but thet seem to have a points system for young educated folk.

I actually did check it out but the prob is your job needs to be on their Australian Skilled Occupation List, anything outside of that list they are not accepting. So if you're a lawyer, sorry no luck. R'gd Nurse? yeah you can apply.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 4th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Cayman islands is always looking for banking, accounting and lawyers. Only industry for techs are in the power companies. They always looking for large engine mech techs and linesmen.

It's a tax free income islands but very expensive to live. A normal Tech in electrical or mechanical will probably make avg 4600US tax free. By the time you pay for living ect you could save 3000us if you bann yuh belly.

Middle east use to be an easy place to work live. But over the years alot of Indians flooded the labour market and brought the salary down. An electrical or mechanical tech would probably get less that 3000us per month.

Seeker
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Seeker » May 5th, 2019, 7:06 am

Hmmm...great info here (thumbs up)

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » May 5th, 2019, 10:18 am

Certain countries do the language test to migrate to Canada ,never did one ,french is not mandatory ,once your skilled you have a good chance,brick layers in Canada make $47 cad per hour, they have many of jobs alot, the cost of living is normal to back home ,typical week $125 in groceries ,gas and the area i live in Ontario , North York region no crime , so safe . Walking around with cash most i have is $30 cad and that's for the barber and some alco when i pass by .

F30 Sportline
Riding on 13's

Postby F30 Sportline » May 5th, 2019, 10:48 am

I'll give my situation. 31 married, 3 month old baby. I'm a us citizen so i have the option to take my family there, but we would be basically starting from scratch. wife's law degree wont mean a thing. im basically self employed so jumping into another country would see me start from zero. We also have the option of going to canada, in fact we applied and received a permanent resident invitation which is about 80% complete. However the same situation applies, though it might be a bit worse in Canada in that they require you to have canadian work experience & education (immigrants wont have this, even though you enter the country based on education/work experience) so you then again have to start from scratch in most fields. Canada is larger than usa with the budget of California. Great high paying jobs have very high competition. even if you are the best of the best, you still have to go through their system for those jobs since almost everything is regulated, unless you wana open your own business. I have a good amount of family support in a few states in usa, wife has family support in canada. Flip side is we enjoy a certain standard of living in trinidad right now esp with tremendous family support, which we wont be able to sustain if we left. Wife has a good secure well paying job with benefits, and im not doing too bad myself, its just a shame the country is the way it is. We cant really get to enjoy things. walking on the street in florida or ontario feels SO MUCH safer than trinidad, sorry to say. I honestly love this place so im torn every morning when i wake up and i have to continually make a decision to stay or leave. Both wife and i agree that leaving would be much better for our child which we probably would end up doing. What hurts me the most is all the car projects ive been doing for years are almost completed and i wont get to enjoy them. ill have to part out or sell wayyyy under what i spent plus all that time+ energy just gone. I think thats why im so on the fence with moving

Go for it for the sake of your child....... I'm in your exact situation as well and the wife and I would be making the move for our son.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » May 5th, 2019, 10:59 am

F30 Sportline wrote:
I'll give my situation. 31 married, 3 month old baby. I'm a us citizen so i have the option to take my family there, but we would be basically starting from scratch. wife's law degree wont mean a thing. im basically self employed so jumping into another country would see me start from zero. We also have the option of going to canada, in fact we applied and received a permanent resident invitation which is about 80% complete. However the same situation applies, though it might be a bit worse in Canada in that they require you to have canadian work experience & education (immigrants wont have this, even though you enter the country based on education/work experience) so you then again have to start from scratch in most fields. Canada is larger than usa with the budget of California. Great high paying jobs have very high competition. even if you are the best of the best, you still have to go through their system for those jobs since almost everything is regulated, unless you wana open your own business. I have a good amount of family support in a few states in usa, wife has family support in canada. Flip side is we enjoy a certain standard of living in trinidad right now esp with tremendous family support, which we wont be able to sustain if we left. Wife has a good secure well paying job with benefits, and im not doing too bad myself, its just a shame the country is the way it is. We cant really get to enjoy things. walking on the street in florida or ontario feels SO MUCH safer than trinidad, sorry to say. I honestly love this place so im torn every morning when i wake up and i have to continually make a decision to stay or leave. Both wife and i agree that leaving would be much better for our child which we probably would end up doing. What hurts me the most is all the car projects ive been doing for years are almost completed and i wont get to enjoy them. ill have to part out or sell wayyyy under what i spent plus all that time+ energy just gone. I think thats why im so on the fence with moving

Go for it for the sake of your child....... I'm in your exact situation as well and the wife and I would be making the move for our son.

True. Don't wait for something to happen, then live with the regret off knowing that you could have done something, but chose not to.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 5th, 2019, 11:08 am

The english exam is known as IELTS...offered at CLL and is hard AF...Im in the process of doing it cuz Canada is on my list...but im finishing meh spanish first....if a person did english for academic purposes @ uwi, it's a good start for IELTS...

questions I got when starting the canada process were:

Highest form of education
The instiution
Married
Average salary per mth
Average savings figure
Why canada

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”