TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

This school's book list includes toilet paper, cleaning supplies ....

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

This school's book list includes toilet paper, cleaning supplies ....

Postby Rovin » July 17th, 2019, 12:27 pm

as if ppl out here eh ketching dey modass enuff ....

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/lo ... 7tnxbgmBk8

A COUVA school has asked parents to purchase a list of cleaning supplies for the new school term, and this is not sitting well with parents.

Parents of pupils attending the Couva Anglican Primary School were told that, due to reduced financial assistance from the Ministry of Education, their help was needed to purchase the items.

One irate parent walked into Express House, Port of Spain, yesterday morning complaining about the school’s request.

“This is not a booklist, this is a grocery list!” she exclaimed, showing the Express a copy of a Standard Five booklist.

The cleaning supplies listed on the document were:

a one bottle liquid soap (large size)

a one pack garbage bags (jumbo)

a one 12-pack toilet paper (per family)

a one Lysol disinfectant wipes (large)

a one hand sanitiser (pocket size)

a one bottle disinfectant (not Pinesol)

a one bottle bleach

a two rolls paper towels

The single mother said the booklist was given to parents on the last day of school.

“They (school officials) said the Ministry of Education doesn’t help them with anything, and that’s why they are asking parents to bring these items. This is not the first time. I used to send some of the things they are asking for but my daughter said she never got to use them. They asked for toilet paper before but there was never toilet paper in the toilets,” the parent lamented. “I know some schools ask for a contribution each term and I don’t mind sending a few things if they need but this is out of hand now. I honestly cannot afford it because I am a single mother struggling to make ends meet.”

Booklist recalled

Contacted yesterday, a school official confirmed that booklists with the list of cleaning supplies were sent to parents, but have since been recalled.

The school announced the recall on its Facebook page yesterday.

“Parents please note that all booklists have been recalled. The official booklist has the school stamp and a signature and date. Parents are not obligated to purchase the non-school items on the booklist. All booklists can be collected by the security booth from 8.30 a.m. to 3 p.m.”

The Express sought comment from Education Minister Anthony Garcia on the issue but all calls to his mobile phone went unanswered.
Last edited by Rovin on July 17th, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: This school's book list includes toilet paper, cleaning supplies ....

Postby hydroep » July 17th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Nah boi, dat is shyte...:|

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » July 17th, 2019, 12:43 pm

It looking financially realistic to abandon plans for parenthood and buy a Porsche every 5 years.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » July 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Well schools have been finding it increasingly more difficult to maintain and operate due to lack of funding.
You would like to think that the education of the youth takes priority over how much the past presidents get as retirement funds and rental of empty buildings in Woodbrook…….

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 17th, 2019, 12:59 pm

It's a denominational school. Guessing that calls for finances went unheard so they're resorting to desperate measures.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 17th, 2019, 1:16 pm

chups
take up collection in all dey churches...problem solved
I remember a friend once asking on facebook for volunteers to paint a school...I asked her why is it so hard for a presbyterian school to find twenty people from the church to help, rather than asking strangers....my comment was deleted

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » July 17th, 2019, 2:27 pm

I would have bought it, it may not be feasible for everyone and I understand that. Some might feel it's the Ministry's/ Anglican Board's responsibility and I agree it is, but I understand the reality of the circumstances. Unpopular opinion101

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 17th, 2019, 3:11 pm

inside before ZR

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » July 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm

eliteauto wrote:I would have bought it, it may not be feasible for everyone and I understand that. Some might feel it's the Ministry's/ Anglican Board's responsibility and I agree it is, but I understand the reality of the circumstances. Unpopular opinion101

Agreed, the sad reality is some ppl don't understand or plain blind to conditions of some schools. Imagine your child coming to tell you it have no toilet paper or soap in the washrooms. Some parents feel I'll just buy books and uniforms and thats it everything else will magically be taken care of by the government and schools, doh ask meh for nothing else.

I remember back in primary school, before MTS guards, the school used to have a "crossing guard" wearing black and white, and children had to bring a $1 a week or sumn so to put up for the guard, and for nothing some parents wouldnt even pay that to ensure there was someone at the school gate ensuring your children can cross the street safely etc.

We are a disgustingly dependent society, and I understand if you can't afford everything but if parents of would TRY to pool resources, at the end of the day its for your children's comfort in the classroom.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm

eliteauto wrote:I would have bought it, it may not be feasible for everyone and I understand that. Some might feel it's the Ministry's/ Anglican Board's responsibility and I agree it is, but I understand the reality of the circumstances. Unpopular opinion101

meem saying doh buy it...in my day, pops used to contribute voluntarily to the primary school I went to (funny enough, an Anglican one)
But jussayin it's a great opportunity to build a sense of community among your ppl if the parents / parishioners / whoever (it applies to awwwwl religious based schools) would come together and get stuff done
A lot of these schools suffer ageing / dilapidated infrastructure (for example), and you have parents who are (for example) tradesmen, but would they volunteer a couple of weekends to help plaster a cracking wall, repair some plumbing or run some flashband on a roof? Nah

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 17th, 2019, 7:43 pm

i remember having to bring a $1 for an old guard in my Primary school but it was private so there were school fees as well

but we also had walkathons and raffles too- why the school can't do that? or even ah fete?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 17th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Agreed. Think of the cost of an outbreak of gastro, or food poisoning because of no soap, or disinfectant. I always sent my children with t.p. and hand sanitizer to ensure that they always had.
Off topic, why no PineSol though :? :lol: Then again in my days, level black disinfectant in yuh rass, not nice smelling nothing.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 17th, 2019, 9:01 pm

yup, agreed.
do you know how desperate the school must be to sign off putting that on a child's booklist?
it's not about bobol.

Maybe it will start a discussion within the ranks and give the PTA a kickstart to do some fundraising.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 17th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Since when is this news?

I started form 1 in 1998 and it was the norm to walk with your own toilet paper and soap etc. The toilets never had toilet paper or soap etc in fact many of the toilets were not functioning and most were overflowing with sh!t. This has ALWAYS been the norm in public schools in Trinidad, it is called a 3rd world country for a reason.

I work for a pretty big company and even they are questioning if to stop supplying toilet paper because workers / sufferers are stealing it.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 17th, 2019, 9:12 pm

The hasty recall of the booklists is sketchy though. Either you need the stuff, or you don't. Did the shine up by the parent reveal something untoward?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 17th, 2019, 9:15 pm

De Dragon wrote:The hasty recall of the booklists is sketchy though. Either you need the stuff, or you don't. Did the shine up by the parent reveal something untoward?

board prob shine up the principal for the bad publicity.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » July 17th, 2019, 10:44 pm

De Dragon wrote:The hasty recall of the booklists is sketchy though. Either you need the stuff, or you don't. Did the shine up by the parent reveal something untoward?
Wouldn't be surprised if the Ministry called for the recall out of embarrassment, expect the minister to say that he dunno why they did that and their subvention is X and they supposed to work with that

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » July 17th, 2019, 11:24 pm

some parents cannot even afford to purchase the books on the booklist.
It getting ridiculous now . people are struggling and every government is wasting money
what supposed to cost 1 dollar is costing them minimum 10 dollars this is why they dont have money for the important stuff.

But when you have undeclared Financial support during elections you have to pay back 20 fold
political parties need to declare all there assets and source of funds ,

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » July 17th, 2019, 11:29 pm

there are schools which already group children according to their donations
One school is south sent out a donation sheet to restore a building .
<1000 - sheit
1000-2500 - bronze
2501-5000 - silver
5001 to 7500- gold
7501- 10k -diamond
>10k - platinum

one parent said they know their child will have to sit at the back of the class because the cannot afford to give an entire pay check as a donation

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » July 17th, 2019, 11:30 pm

The school simply should not have attachednit to the book list, and passed It on extra as a request for assistance. Not mandatory.
Know parents from the school who have no problem helping for the betterment of their own children.
Somebody jump out theyself for the wrong reason and raise an ants nest.

And it isn’t any secret that schools, both government funded and denominational, are under funded and have to find ways to fund their efforts.

The age of social media give us more opportunity to have a voice, but sometime we just need to keep our opinions to ourselves.

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » July 18th, 2019, 6:29 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:inside before ZR

Are you sick because you seem obsessed with Zoomie. Grow up pal. Anyway this is normal when I went to secondary denominational school we had to pay for stuff as well, just the way it is yea. Or you can do like Shakes and pass for junior sec

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » July 18th, 2019, 7:21 am

The list start from preschool. Then on to primary and secondary they ask for white board markers etc

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » July 18th, 2019, 7:23 am

In govt ministries people buying toilet paper, printing paper etc. so the buying of supplies continues even at work

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 18th, 2019, 7:56 am

if the school pull back the list, then, did they really need it, or did they try to unload some of their costs to the parents.
and since they pulled it back, was doing so in the first place, a legitimate course of action?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 18th, 2019, 11:53 am

where all d billions of tax $$$ goes besides party financiers pockets , clean out d treasury so much that we cant even get bleach to mop d floors , dise madness

as for TP since my time u had to walk with ur own cause if they had any d kids wud stuff d toilets hoping d school wud be forced to close so they get to go home early or go lime .... u always have to keep some TP or paper towels within reach just in case , even as a adult ....

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » July 18th, 2019, 4:08 pm

a former principal in el socorro govt used to teif all the toilet paper and photo copy paper and chubby and load in she galant. god doh sleep eh, when the father doh pay the chirren will. people fool deyself and feel dey get somthing free, nutting in life is free and everything has a price. do good and good will follow you and your children but when u wah play smartman ting and teif and cheat you mite get away but it have yuh chirren and grand chirren tuh pay d price. plant corn if you want to reap corn.
many school supervisor say the ministry release funds for supplies and yet d principal want to charge registration, bring ream ah paper now toiletries and yuh duz wonder y most principals duz die a dog without a penny tuh dey name and dey chirren hadda continue paying the piper and teifing and cheating.

on another note, the anglican board have money y d arse they doh supply the school with tp instead ah buying benz for the pasta.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 18th, 2019, 10:25 pm

randolphinshan wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:inside before ZR

Are you sick because you seem obsessed with Zoomie. Grow up pal. Anyway this is normal when I went to secondary denominational school we had to pay for stuff as well, just the way it is yea. Or you can do like Shakes and pass for junior sec

Liar. Your posts indicate that you have no formal schooling of any kind.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”