this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

National Security, Immigration among 11 Govt. websites hacked

Postby redmanjp » July 25th, 2019, 11:59 pm

National Security, Immigration websites shut down after ‘hack’
DARLISA GHOURALAL CREATED : 25 JULY 2019 TECH
Investigations are underway after hackers took control of the websites of the National Security Ministry and the Immigration Division.

National Security Minister Stuart Young, who was called out of the Cabinet meeting on Thursday and informed of the hack, said both websites have since been shut down.

“There are currently investigations as to where this hacking could have taken place from and we have shut down the websites…until we’re able to secure them and understand, what, if anything, has happened.”

Young assured that there was no real damage done by the hack.

“These websites don’t get into our operating systems; these websites are not going to affect the records at National Security, certainly not the records at Immigration either.”

The Minister said there was no reason to be overly concerned about an “intentional attack” on data from either entity.

http://www.looptt.com/content/national-security-immigration-websites-shut-down-after-hack
Last edited by redmanjp on July 26th, 2019, 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: National Security, Immigration websites shut down after ‘hack’

Postby redmanjp » July 26th, 2019, 12:10 am

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: National Security, Immigration among 11 Govt. websites hacked

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 26th, 2019, 4:54 am

according to my bro, it's very easy to determine who did it

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » July 26th, 2019, 7:00 am

Well yes...

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » July 26th, 2019, 7:49 am

“There are currently investigations as to where this hacking could have taken place from and we have shut down the websites…until we’re able to secure them and understand, what, if anything, has happened.”

Young assured that there was no real damage done by the hack.

“These websites don’t get into our operating systems; these websites are not going to affect the records at National Security, certainly not the records at Immigration either.”

The Minister said there was no reason to be overly concerned about an “intentional attack” on data from either entity.

He says the sites are shut down until they understand what, if anything has happened ,but assures that no damage was done. How do you know before you investigate?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 26th, 2019, 8:39 am

So that's all our passport and ID card info gone to hackers there, to be sold to identity theft gangs. I sure it wasn't even encrypted data, knowing how TT does operate.

assassin
Shifting into 6th

Postby assassin » July 26th, 2019, 8:40 am

rspann wrote:He says the sites are shut down until they understand what, if anything has happened ,but assures that no damage was done. How do you know before you investigate?

Gary Sobers just knows

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » July 26th, 2019, 8:45 am

well ah sure they go come up with the UNC
As we all know all their screw ups is kamala fault

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » July 26th, 2019, 8:49 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:according to my bro, it's very easy to determine who did it

that depends on how good they are and how well the hack was executed...

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

T&T Gov't Ministry and Police websites hacked

Postby abducted » July 26th, 2019, 9:33 am

Below is a list of T&T websites that were defaced by a known hacker group called "VandaTheGod". This group is hacktivist group known for defacing government, public service and state agency websites. They appear to be a Brazilian-based group, however most hacking groups tend to have members across the globe. The websites listed below are owned by either Ministries or State agencies of the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.

vanda-hack.jpg

The attack began on 25th July 2019. The following is the timeline of these cyber incidents:

Between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.
Ministry of National Security (MoNS) - nationalsecurity.gov.tt
Immigration Division of MoNS - immigration.gov.T&T

Between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
Ministry of Education - moe.gov.tt
Ministry of Attorney General - ag.gov.tt
National Entrepreneurship Development Company - nedco.gov.tt
Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago - tatt.org.T&T

After 9 p.m.
Trinidad and Tobago Police Service - ttps.gov.tt
Digital Pan App - digitalpanapp.com
Ministry of Tourism of Trinidad and Tobago - tourism.gov.tt
Citizen Security Programme - csp.gov.tt
Office of the Prime Minister - Gender and Child Affairs - opm-gca.gov.tt
National Energy Corporation - nationalenergy.tt
OSHA Agency - osha.gov.tt
Mediation Board - mediationboard-tt.org
More updates to come as website defacement attacks appear to be ongoing.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/timeline ... gellineau/

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » July 26th, 2019, 11:09 am

So, now that the inevitable has happened, it begs the question

IF the target for these actions was peoples personal information (photos, passport numbers, financial info, etc) & somebody is eventually negatively impacted by the theft & subsequent misuse of this info, can one reasonably expect to be awarded compensation from the state for their failure at securing persons data? & how difficult will it be to reverse or at least negate said negative effects?

Somebody gonna eat a food off this.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 26th, 2019, 11:13 am

with no Data Protection Act in place I can't see any way anyone could seek redress or sue the State

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 26th, 2019, 1:19 pm

dropping them like flies yes.

damn

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » July 26th, 2019, 1:53 pm

^^ and this is where ppl gonna get screwed, with little to no recourse. Unless they take it to court & set a precedent.
and somebody friend/family/ghost company gonna get the multi million dollar contract set things up to ensure this never happen again.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 26th, 2019, 4:44 pm

88sins wrote:^^ and this is where ppl gonna get screwed, with little to no recourse. Unless they take it to court & set a precedent.
and somebody friend/family/ghost company gonna get the multi million dollar contract set things up to ensure this never happen again.

they need to have well paid Information Security personnel unlike most IT ppl who are underpaid in a lot of companies locally

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » July 26th, 2019, 6:16 pm

redmanjp wrote:
88sins wrote:^^ and this is where ppl gonna get screwed, with little to no recourse. Unless they take it to court & set a precedent.

they need to have well paid Information Security personnel unlike most IT ppl who are underpaid in a lot of companies locally

It have volumes I could say on the topic but let me leave it at this: it have serious lack of direction in the public service ICT sector and nobody in a position to push change cares

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » August 6th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Nat Sec sites still down after Brazilian hack attack
Julien Neaves

MORE than a week after 11 government websites were attacked by Brazilian anti-government hackers, two national security sites remained down.

On July 25 the TT Computer Society (TTCS) flagged the hacking of the sites by Brazilian hacker or hackers VandatheGod in a series of posts,.

National Security Minister Stuart Young, at the post-Cabinet media conference that day, confirmed his ministry's and theimmigration division's websites had both been hacked, but said no real damage had been done. He said investigations had been launched to identify the source of the hacking and the sites shut down until the ministry could secure them and understand what happened.

The sites of the Immigration Division, immigration.gov.tt, and Citizen Security Programme, csp.gov.tt, remained unavailable up to yesterday while the national security website, nationalsecurity.gov.tt, was back up and running last week. National Security Ministry Permanent Secretary Vel Lewis told Newsday briefly he was not in office but the ministry's computer response team was working on the issue.

TTCS also reported attacks on the websites associated with the Tourism Ministry, Office of the Prime Minister Gender Affairs Division, National Energy, Energy Ministry, Office of the Attorney General, Telecommunications Authority (TATT) and the National Entrepreneurship Development Company (Nedco).

The TATT site was previously unavailable but was available yesterday while Nedco's site remained "temporarily down for maintenance." Newsday had sent Nedco an e-mail asking if the site's being down was due to the hack, but no response had yet been received.

VandatheGod, who has been on Twitter since January 2013 and has 2,193 followers, claimed responsibility for the hacks and retweeted a video by TTT Online with Young speaking about the hacking and also one of the posts by TTCS.

On the National Security Ministry website the hackers posted a YouTube link to to the 1995 song Pela­dos em San­tos by Brazil­ian com­e­dy rock band Ma­monas As­sas­si­nas.

The hackers later attacked other websites and posted an image of a man wearing the Guy Fawkes mask of Anonymous followers and holding a sign reading: "Join the Revolution, Tell Your Corrupt Government to F--- Off".

Last week the news site courier-tribune.com reported the hackers had attacked the website of Randolph County, North Carolina, US and at least 59 other government sites have been targeted in the past week.

Up to yesterday, VandatheGod continued to post links to hacked sites, including those associated with the mountainous Marche region in Italy, the city of Tyler in Texas, US and sites linked to Jamaica, the UK and China.

TTCS assistant secretary Dev Anand Teelucksingh had previously told Newsday websites need to be secure to prevent unauthorised parties from interfering with them. He also described VandatheGod as a "cookie-cutter operation," saying it probably all automated.

Young could not be reached for comment.

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/08/06/nat-sec-sites-still-down-after-brazilian-hack-attack/

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » August 6th, 2019, 3:35 pm

So they think an automated program was able to hack multiple government websites including National Security websites? This begs the question, how sh!tty exactly is the security on those websites if a "cookie cutter" program is able to hack it?

I agree that most IT people underpaid though. Probably because if nothing going wrong they wonder what exactly they paying you for and if something goes wrong they wonder what exactly you paying for.

They should hire No­vo Tech­nol­o­gy In­cor­po­ra­tion Lim­it­ed to do their IT security. They have experience with mega projects like the airport kiosks.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 6th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:So they think an automated program was able to hack multiple government websites including National Security websites? This begs the question, how sh!tty exactly is the security on those websites if a "cookie cutter" program is able to hack it?

I agree that most IT people underpaid though. Probably because if nothing going wrong they wonder what exactly they paying you for and if something goes wrong they wonder what exactly you paying for.

They should hire No­vo Tech­nol­o­gy In­cor­po­ra­tion Lim­it­ed to do their IT security. They have experience with mega projects like the airport kiosks.

IT people and cybersecurity personnel are not the same...Most IT people are not trained to prevent issues like this and there is no instiution teaching cybersecurity and hacking in trinidad...

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » August 6th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I bet the recent immigration and registration process records gonna be " tampered " with.........nothing else !!!!

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » August 6th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Premchand1976 wrote:I bet the recent immigration and registration process records gonna be " tampered " with.........nothing else !!!!
Well voting season just now , so expect PNM voting bank of Grenada and St Vincent to be opened .

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » August 7th, 2019, 7:47 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:So they think an automated program was able to hack multiple government websites including National Security websites? This begs the question, how sh!tty exactly is the security on those websites if a "cookie cutter" program is able to hack it?

IT people and cybersecurity personnel are not the same...Most IT people are not trained to prevent issues like this and there is no instiution teaching cybersecurity and hacking in trinidad...

Thank you very much...i was going to state the same, however there are a couple places teaching it now.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » August 7th, 2019, 9:01 am

Sorry, this was a bad joke. Novo are the people that getting paid millions to rent out kiosks in the airport. Their price is so exorbitant that I don't know how they could have secured the contract without some form of corruption. I would not want them anywhere close to public funds.

PS. I not alleging they corrupt eh... I'm just saying that with my limited expertise I can't think of a non-corrupt way for them to get that contract.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 7th, 2019, 11:01 am

abbow wrote:

Thank you very much...i was going to state the same, however there are a couple places teaching it now.

The places that offering it locally are only skimming the surface...my brother had to be vetted by various nat sec agencies in the US before he was accepted to do his masters program(cyber security and ethical hacking)...he visited uwi before going to FIU and they watched him like :|

Ohhh and those fees are ridiculous.....entire program is around 195k tt

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » August 7th, 2019, 3:48 pm

ismithx wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

It have volumes I could say on the topic but let me leave it at this: it have serious lack of direction in the public service ICT sector and nobody in a position to push change cares
Correct. Lack of direction and leadership began in 2015

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » August 7th, 2019, 4:23 pm

It had to be automated.... most of the hacked sites were using DNN... that thing is riddled with vulnerabilities that allow RCE exploits

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”