TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
hydroep
punchin NOS
Posts: 4390
Joined: February 4th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby hydroep » September 20th, 2019, 4:57 am

Interesting case...

Charged for stealing what he claims is owed to him
Azard Ali

AN employee of a bottled water company pleaded guilty in the San Fernando magistrates’ court yesterday to stealing wages owed him, but the magistrate changed that plea telling him that according to the law there is a defence known as claim of right.

Lutchman Ragoonath, 39, stood before senior magistrate Jo-Anne Connor charged with stealing $5,867.62 from Crystal Spring Waters, which represented sales of bottled water.

Asked by the magistrate how he wants to plead, Ragoonath responded, “Guilty. I really stole the money. They was suppose to pay my salary by August 25, and by the 15th (of September) nothing happened. I have bills to pay.” Ragoonath said he works as a driver for the company. PC Matloo of San Fernando CID, investigated and charged the man.

Connor told Ragoonath that based on his explanation and applying the law of, “claim of right,” he has a defence, if it can be proven. She then entered a not-guilty plea on his behalf. She granted him own bail of $5,000 and adjourned the case to October 29.


https://newsday.co.tt/2019/09/20/charged-for-stealing-what-he-claims-is-owed-to-him/

Advertisement
vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 906
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby vaiostation » September 20th, 2019, 5:49 am

They should charge de employer for withholding de man wages. People always like to bad talk de workers, but a lot of employers are very disgusting, who basically want slaves...

User avatar
maj. tom
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5198
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby maj. tom » September 20th, 2019, 6:43 am

Good on the Magistrate for advising the citizen and changing the plea. And he can get a public defender for his case.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8770
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Location: Trinituner 24/7

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby rspann » September 20th, 2019, 6:43 am

Water company steals man's wages. Man pays himself. That is the correct headline

User avatar
TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1246
Joined: November 24th, 2014, 9:24 am
Location: Japan

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby TurboSingh12 » September 20th, 2019, 6:50 am

Every Month the water company we buy water from always has new employees due too that sheit.

User avatar
zoom rader
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 16374
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby zoom rader » September 20th, 2019, 6:58 am

Mean the PNM minster of labour panders to employers and bumps gums on new labour laws.

Remember the steel mill swindle?

PNM sat back and did nothing, workers got kicked and got nothing for it.

But then agian the steel mill union are pro PNM

User avatar
Rovin
punchin NOS
Posts: 3036
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: picking up bottle on Chaguanas main road

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby Rovin » September 20th, 2019, 11:31 am

2 wrongs dont make a right though , gonna find himself in a mess ....

User avatar
zoom rader
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 16374
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby zoom rader » September 20th, 2019, 11:43 am

Rovin wrote:2 wrongs dont make a right though , gonna find himself in a mess ....
Now Trini knows about a bad pay company.

User avatar
MaxPower
punchin NOS
Posts: 3143
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby MaxPower » September 20th, 2019, 11:49 am

He may be owed those wages and understandably frustrated, but stealing is not the answer.

User avatar
Slartibartfast
punchin NOS
Posts: 4445
Joined: May 15th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Location: Magrathea

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby Slartibartfast » September 20th, 2019, 3:48 pm

MaxPower wrote:He may be owed those wages and understandably frustrated, but stealing is not the answer.

Sometimes when you have bills to pay it is. Remember he would be under a lot of stress as well and not able to make the most level headed of decisions.

Employer is still 100% in the wrong though. The employee suffer enough. If all he took was what was owed then it should not even be an issue for him.

User avatar
MaxPower
punchin NOS
Posts: 3143
Joined: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby MaxPower » September 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm

^ well lets hope so.

The innocent small man usually gets the shaft in the end.

screwbash
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 924
Joined: April 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby screwbash » September 20th, 2019, 5:49 pm

MaxPower wrote:^ well lets hope so.

The innocent small man usually gets the shaft in the end.

once he took the exact amount down to the last cent it is not stealing. if he worked a fortnight and was to be paid that money and he took said money he took what is his. how can a man steal what he owns? he should sue the security company or ttps or whoever charged him for stealing for kidnapping and wrongful arrest and whatever jail time he spent while waiting for bail and sue the water company for stealing his money and keeping it in their possession and retire.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8770
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Location: Trinituner 24/7

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby rspann » September 20th, 2019, 6:20 pm

screwbash wrote:
MaxPower wrote:^ well lets hope so.

The innocent small man usually gets the shaft in the end.

once he took the exact amount down to the last cent it is not stealing.if he worked a fortnight and was to be paid that money and he took said money he took what is his. how can a man steal what he owns? he should sue the security company or ttps or whoever charged him for stealing for kidnapping and wrongful arrest and whatever jail time he spent while waiting for bail and sue the water company for stealing his money and keeping it in their possession and retire.



Exactly,. That is why the magistrate advised that he should say it was a claim of right as his defence.

User avatar
DTAC
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2109
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 1:56 am

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby DTAC » September 21st, 2019, 2:33 pm

He working for a company and they ain't pay him and probably give him a set of mamaguy as to why he have to wait. Then he have to collect and hand them a set of money and then hear after how they can't pay him as they have no money? Nah. Most Trini companies and especially owners once they realise that they have a member of staff that is still willing to work in good faith, even when they ain't get paid on time will realise they have a "stupidee" and then rinse that staff member out and them waiting, waiting, waiting.

TSTT, WASA, T&TEC ain't taking no talk and waiting. Car and house payments ain't taking no sad story. Owners know that and pay them up quick, quick. But staff, especially willing to still work? "They cyah do me nothing" mode engages.

I had a company owner I used to work with. He ain't pay a young kid for 4 months. When the kid couldn't stretch anymore and literally beg him for something, you know what the guy tell him? He, (the kid) should manage his money better.

Karma should give he cancer yes.

So yeah, the guy did the right thing. Real boldface to charge him and let it get to a judge also. But that's the attitude of co-called business owners. They feel they better than everyone else and everyone suppose to sacrifice for their business.

Crystal Spring Waters real lucky though. This is Trinidad 2019. Bullet real cheap yuh know. If that man was less a Luchman from Chaguanas and more an Enterprise Chaguanas they would have never have tried that BS.

User avatar
zoom rader
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 16374
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby zoom rader » September 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm

DTAC wrote:He working for a company and they ain't pay him and probably give him a set of mamaguy as to why he have to wait. Then he have to collect and hand them a set of money and then hear after how they can't pay him as they have no money? Nah. Most Trini companies and especially owners once they realise that they have a member of staff that is still willing to work in good faith, even when they ain't get paid on time will realise they have a "stupidee" and then rinse that staff member out and them waiting, waiting, waiting.

TSTT, WASA, T&TEC ain't taking no talk and waiting. Car and house payments ain't taking no sad story. Owners know that and pay them up quick, quick. But staff, especially willing to still work? "They cyah do me nothing" mode engages.

I had a company owner I used to work with. He ain't pay a young kid for 4 months. When the kid couldn't stretch anymore and literally beg him for something, you know what the guy tell him? He, (the kid) should manage his money better.

Karma should give he cancer yes.

So yeah, the guy did the right thing. Real boldface to charge him and let it get to a judge also. But that's the attitude of co-called business owners. They feel they better than everyone else and everyone suppose to sacrifice for their business.

Crystal Spring Waters real lucky though. This is Trinidad 2019. Bullet real cheap yuh know. If that man was less a Luchman from Chaguanas and more an Enterprise Chaguanas they would have never have tried that BS.
I spoke about nasty bussiness owners years ago and their stink behaviour.

I was labelled anti bussiness right here on tuner

User avatar
88sins
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5456
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Corner of Everywhere Avenue & Nowhere Drive

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby 88sins » September 21st, 2019, 3:53 pm

good thing that magistrate exercised jurisprudence in the matter, and advised the defendant.
it have some eh going that way at all.

User avatar
zoom rader
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 16374
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby zoom rader » September 21st, 2019, 5:09 pm

We neee to post this company as bad pay and expose then.

But then agian tuner rules states you can't bad talk bussiness

User avatar
VII
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2401
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 9:44 pm
Location: maraval
Contact:

Re: Man steals wages owed to him by employer. Is he wrong?

Postby VII » September 21st, 2019, 5:10 pm

Salesmen steal the sales all the time...Interesting seeing him prove that case.


And why would the employer pursue the matter if they owed him ? No businessman has that kinda time to waste unless he felt he was wronged,when you're doing business bottom lines make decisions and it' wouldve been much easier to write off that as salary owing than pursue the matter..

It's clear that he's making that up..which business want the negative publicity ? Especially one that supposedly has things to hide..

A lil reasoning guys..

In court all men have rights..and all men will.be heard no matter their defence...but at the end of the day I'm certain the business keeps better records than him..

He has to prove he was not paid and they have to prove he was..

Most times companies don't even report thieving employees,they just scare and dismiss them..

Magistrates consider any and every story because they have to..in court both sides are equal until a verdict..

Just remember a few case of water is his days salary..and a decimal fraction of truck's day's sale..

Problem is entrusting thousands in cash to someone receiving 200+ a day..

My folks lost many van day sales to dishonest salesmen/drivers over the years..even all the stocks and plastic trays with vehicle abandoned at times..some real troubled people out there...even a nice Chinese sales girl was stealing from my mom's little garment factory years ago..she stole about 80 grand during a period in the 90's and left for Canada when confronted...my folks left her...

She used to.supply Lujos in sando and numbers etc with cheap clothes ..

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], hydroep, pugboy, vaiostation and 51 guests