Forums

Flash Over - paint car

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Flash Over - paint car

Postby rspann » February 22nd, 2020, 11:57 am

Reason for the high estimate cost is because it’s done with a computerized estimate generator which takes a lot of time and effort . It’s very time consuming to inspect a vehicle properly for damage ,both the structure and parts that need replacing . You have to get prices and they know that when people get the large amount ( which is only because of the garage name and the generated estimate) they go somewhere cheaper to do the job. If the car is in their shop, they don’t charge for the estimate, only if you decide to move it afterwards. Then you pay storage and estimate. I charge for estimates and people walk in all day to get . Most of them I never see again, buts it’s a good side line business.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 22nd, 2020, 12:00 pm

for sure, all it cost you is a sheet of paper

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 22nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

Some people doesn’t even have to pay ,according to who they are or who they know. 8-)

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 22nd, 2020, 12:04 pm

ok so guys i'm due for a complete paint job....

so heres what i want.

the color of choice is RAQ - aka blue graphite - the new b17 sentra comes in that color - its a metallic / Xirallic / pearl kinda thingy....

( its an OEM color so plz dont say its a custom color)

what i want is everything stripped and removed off the car:

4 doors
bonnet
trunk
front and rear bumpers
front and rear lights
front fenders
rear glass
interior seats trims and carpet and mats
engine and transmission.
radiator
Ac evaporator....
power steering....
etc.
strut bars and suspension removed...
i want to have inside the engine bay painted as well......
items inside the engine bay will need to be removed to facilitate painting .

known bad spots :
rear left wheel arch is rotting slowly . - need to be fixed.
rotten spot under the rear glass finisher - glass to be removed and rotten spot fixed.
rotten spot on the engine firewall close to where the chassis # is.
front left side door hinges need to be fixed / replaced.
back panel to be replaced - padna dad reversed on my car.
( i will supply back panel of course - i will even arrange to have the donor entire back panel sand blasted and delivered so it will just be to drill out the spot welds off the old panel and line up new panel and spot weld in. )

things i would like to expect....

expect to have the 4 doors completely scrapped sanded and primed and painted - inside and outside.
expect rust proofing over the entire vehicle
expect the entire frame to be measured and lined up properly based on actual measurements
expect not to get paint on ANY of the vehicle harnesses
expect not to get paint on any of the door rubbers / seals / door jamb switches....
expect the AC evaporator to be degassed and removed to facilitate painting.
expect AC seals to be replaced along with a new drier bottle and regassed....

expect them to resolve any issues they find along the way and NOT use tech point screws / gypsum screws tie traps/ cutlass wire / binding wire JB weld crazy glue flex seal rubberized spray.........

lastly i would expect to get everything put together correctly in the manner it was removed.

i have seen men put left side lights on the right side - trust me - they didnt know the difference ....

price range for a job like this ???

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 22nd, 2020, 12:07 pm

$2000 .You getting it back in 3 days.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 22nd, 2020, 12:20 pm

rspann wrote:$2000 .You getting it back in 3 days.

how much hardener you mixing in with that paint and clear coat boi spann... :lol:

but on a real thou ...spans work is immaculate....pictures just do it justice.....

[cool story time ]

i have seen and touched spanns work in person....

last time i visited he was doing a van or x trail....

it was painted the day (24 hours) before .... was just rolled out the paint booth the next day in the evening
i visited him on the 3rd day. - morning time......

vehicle was painted in booth left to dry and then rolled out and left to air dry properly ...
it wasnt color sanded or buffed or anything else - as yet....and the finish was as smooth as glass.....

side note - also saw the chevy bel air

i remember asking him about 3-4 times if this have on clear coat... and he say no.....

if i did ask another time i woulda get cuss.....i sure.....

[end of cool story /]

but spann you sure 20K is enough to do everything .??

and if u doing the work - i will leave it by you for a full month to make sure you have enough time to tackle everything properly.....

i already have stuff put down
new head lights
front autech grill
front & rear bumper
fender shields
mud guards
chrome finisher
new wing mirrors.
and the list goes on and on......

is jus to buy the tail cut and have it prepped for.....

as soon as i know what going on in work i will let u know.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm

$2000 and you expect to get hardener too? Next thing you will want the holes patch too.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 22nd, 2020, 6:01 pm

skylinechild

dise d bloo bud u tryna fix up dey ? ..... :|
Last edited by Rovin on February 22nd, 2020, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 22nd, 2020, 6:14 pm

De man want Harris spray paint bai... Just rub some coconut oil on car just before he come
rspann wrote:$2000 and you expect to get hardener too? Next thing you will want the holes patch too.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 22nd, 2020, 6:56 pm

Rovin wrote: skylinechild

The bloo bud self. He want the car scrap to shell and paint over with the best material ,clean parts and mount back up. I tell him $2000 and he want to pay $20000 , like he get back pay or sumpn.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 22nd, 2020, 7:48 pm

rspann wrote:

The bloo bud self. He want the car scrap to shell and paint over with the best material ,clean parts and mount back up. I tell him $2000 and he want to pay $20000 , like he get back pay or sumpn.

:lol: @ rovin..yea is the bird self.... the paint job went to hell...only time it does look good is when it done wash....

spann you is a clown inno.... :lol:
but essentially a good paint job is what i after as once it done paint.....i good for some time...
good thing i didnt mention about pressing in the super pro bushings an stuff... :lol:

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 23rd, 2020, 12:39 pm

^^
dem mango tree paint men does cry paint expensive $$$ :D :D
then they boast they are the BESS ..

A paint job that is 15K to 30K is crazy and an old scam ..

Remember the paint cost $700 :roll: :roll:

Venture is the BEST !!

AutoBody is good !!

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm

rspann wrote:Champagne taste and mauby money does put people in trouble. Had one name K P come by me to paint a vehicle, I had to seize it to get paid. He marry a wealthy widow and get house in Valsayn. Now his grandchildren playin big shot on tuner.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 23rd, 2020, 12:46 pm

$700 in paint will give you just what you pay for. A sufferer job. One quart white paint and hardener and reducer is more than $700 ,you so 4 kin dotish is not funny. $700 could buy some bomb spray to paint yuh patchy looking head. Autobody works don't even get work again . Ventura is the best . You could afford it? You could impress other people who don't know you , but while you boasting ,you know the facts.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm

^^

Ventura is BEST with BESS price ..

Mauby is BEST with BESS price .

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm

Ventura is sheithole in my books. They jus have name and are inconsistent. Went there twice, the first time was ok, the second was even worse, never me again. I dont mind paying tens of thousands for a paint job, but it HAS to be done correctly.

These Trini painters make me sick:

1. Taking jobs they cannot handle and cars wait in the sun for months, only to rush down.
2. Improper paint rooms that allow dust to blow on wet paint.
3. Stink nozzle guns and “fish eye” in the paint.
4. Half ass tape masking.
5. Paint drips, streaks and overspray.
6. Some of allyuh mc putting newspaper in the filler.
7. Using cheap ass paint when the customer wanted the best.
8. Allyuh love to dismantle interior and break up clips, resulting in the customer paying to fix or allyuh leave it jus so to rattle.
9. For heavens sake, remove mouldings etc and paint separately.
10. Allyuh jus incompetent and have no pride or ambition in painting a vehicle.

I will exclude rspann from this as he painted my bmw a few years ago and it was exactly like showroom condition. I will say the best I and many others i know have seen.

Allyuh ever see how a brand new car paint job looks? It nice eh? Yeh allyuh mc THAT is how a car is suppose to be painted.

If a man charging 50k for a paint job, give jack he jacket if its a damn good paint job.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 23rd, 2020, 1:28 pm

^^

All dat to say HE have a Beem Ma ..

Send photo of your casa :P

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 23rd, 2020, 1:38 pm

ppl who complain about about another man price for a job he does properly probably never even tried to do auto body work or even stand up to watch & see what goes on , they dont have a clue as to d amt of physical labor, time , care not to destroy something when u removing\ installing it back , what about d cost of good quality materials being used , cant even put a price on a mans skill or yrsss or experience

words jes easy to say\type yes but if they attempt it then they will realize , not everybody can do everything in this world we all have to pay ppl who specialize in certain things we dont know about or know how to do or have d tools to do ...

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 23rd, 2020, 1:40 pm

Rovin I want you to do a complete sound system, for competition . I have $2000.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 23rd, 2020, 1:47 pm

skylinechild wrote:
rspann wrote:

:lol: @ rovin..yea is the bird self.... the paint job went to hell...only time it does look good is when it done wash....

but essentially a good paint job is what i after as once it done paint.....i good for some time...
good thing i didnt mention about pressing in the super pro bushings an stuff... :lol:

i jes asking & doh feel ah criticizing , a bloo bud in lewwe say original untouched condition might be worth what 30-40K ? , if it worth more correct me if i wrong ..... so if u spend say 20k or more to fix it up i guessing u have a love for this particular model & intend to keep it so dise why u doh mind spending that amt of $ ? on it cause u know u probably wont get back what u put in ... if it makes u happy & u dont mind d financial part of it by all means like up urself & doh mind me , we all have our vices ..... 8-)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 23rd, 2020, 2:07 pm

rspann wrote:Rovin I want you to do a complete sound system, for competition . I have $2000.

i say d point u tryna make :lol: , ah man must always be realistic on where he pocket cud reach , many parables to say it but u cyar go in a restaurant if u only have $ to buy doubles

a lil under 2k is d cost of labor alone for a daily system , yea i know it have others who wud charge less & those who wud charge more , i charge based on d work , materials, amt of time, specific details i have to go thru & sometimes if part of is troublesome , i am d kind of person who wud redo my own work until i cant think of getting it better then sometimes days later i still have it in my head a new idea comes up & i think well u know i cuda still do that a lil more better ... a simple looking 1 i did a few days ago viewtopic.php?f=3&t=751532

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 23rd, 2020, 2:14 pm

Labour? I talking labour material and equipment.

That is how stupid some people are. They criticise but they have no idea about what they saying. Just trying to be in the cinvo.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 23rd, 2020, 8:38 pm

MaxPower wrote:Ventura is sheithole in my books. They jus have name and are inconsistent. Went there twice, the first time was ok, the second was even worse, never me again. I dont mind paying tens of thousands for a paint job, but it HAS to be done correctly.

1. Taking jobs they cannot handle and cars wait in the sun for months, only to rush down.
8. Allyuh love to dismantle interior and break up clips, resulting in the customer paying to fix or allyuh leave it jus so to rattle.

I will exclude rspann from this as he painted my bmw a few years ago and it was exactly like showroom condition. I will say the best I and many others i know have seen.

Allyuh ever see how a brand new car paint job looks? It nice eh? Yeh allyuh mc THAT is how a car is suppose to be painted.

If a man charging 50k for a paint job, give jack he jacket if its a damn good paint job.

Ventura quality could very well be inconsistent... as you yourself said...

i agree with you on the following points

1. too many cars - the same could be said for mechanics as well !
2. my regular guy - doesnt have a proper paint booth -
3. some painters just dont care - fish eye camel toe dust ball hair ball fur pie.... paint is paint...
4. masking off with news papers
5. seen this on a tuner trunk.... level drips...mankind still swears he did a bess job.
6. saw this done at a shop in freeport - they was doing a truck.....
7. plenty ppl get catch with painter c heaping out / stealing the customers paint / supplies.
8- how hard is it to replace a broken clip...?
9. seen a guy paint a rubber moulding silver... the ENTIRE moulding - too lazy to remove it.
10. Pride is sorely lacking..some of the examples of car ownership makes me wonder

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 23rd, 2020, 8:52 pm

Rovin wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
rspann wrote:

i jes asking & doh feel ah criticizing , a bloo bud in lewwe say original untouched condition might be worth what 30-40K ? , if it worth more correct me if i wrong ..... so if u spend say 20k or more to fix it up i guessing u have a love for this particular model & intend to keep it so dise why u doh mind spending that amt of $ ? on it cause u know u probably wont get back what u put in ... if it makes u happy & u dont mind d financial part of it by all means like up urself & doh mind me , we all have our vices ..... 8-)

untouched condition with original engine / transmission and stuff about 35k-40K.
if i spend 20K to paint it it will have the car at a level i am happy with ....
the model does look good !!!
keeping it yes... if i get a offer too good to refuse - it will go .
agreed if it gone i wont get back what i put in but the same could be said on cars with music / rims etc.

car does make me happy ....
and no its not a vice..... its just i take pride in what i have....and stuff.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » February 24th, 2020, 4:20 am

MaxPower wrote:Ventura is sheithole in my books. They jus have name and are inconsistent. Went there twice, the first time was ok, the second was even worse, never me again. I dont mind paying tens of thousands for a paint job, but it HAS to be done correctly.

my insurance send my car to massy garage to paint a time in 2008 cost $28000 but was full compre ins, the whole driver side did rub dong, massy garage change d doors, front fender, bonnet and wing mirror. idk if they paint the whole car but when i get that car back and drive out 2 people stop me an ask if i selling and offering me more money than what i pay from the show room. that was the best paint job i see to date. camerons on st vincent st also do good job but idk if they still open havent been up that side in years.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 24th, 2020, 12:28 pm

I feel I know that tuner #5
skylinechild wrote:

Ventura quality could very well be inconsistent... as you yourself said...

i agree with you on the following points

1. too many cars - the same could be said for mechanics as well !
2. my regular guy - doesnt have a proper paint booth -
3. some painters just dont care - fish eye camel toe dust ball hair ball fur pie.... paint is paint...
4. masking off with news papers
5. seen this on a tuner trunk.... level drips...mankind still swears he did a bess job.
6. saw this done at a shop in freeport - they was doing a truck.....
7. plenty ppl get catch with painter c heaping out / stealing the customers paint / supplies.
8- how hard is it to replace a broken clip...?
9. seen a guy paint a rubber moulding silver... the ENTIRE moulding - too lazy to remove it.
10. Pride is sorely lacking..some of the examples of car ownership makes me wonder
As we on the topic;

1)How long should you wait for the primer to fully cure before applying paint?

2)How long should you wait for the coat of paint to dry before applying the next coat?

3)How long does clear coat take to cure?

4)If you're double clearing,how long should you wait after applying the first set of clear coat before you rub down and clear again?

5)Does leaving a vehicle in the sun after applying clear coat make a difference?

6)Does double clearing make a drastic difference?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 24th, 2020, 4:48 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:
As we on the topic;

1)How long should you wait for the primer to fully cure before applying paint?

2)How long should you wait for the coat of paint to dry before applying the next coat?

3)How long does clear coat take to cure?

4)If you're double clearing,how long should you wait after applying the first set of clear coat before you rub down and clear again?

5)Does leaving a vehicle in the sun after applying clear coat make a difference?

6)Does double clearing make a drastic difference?

ok so i am NOT a painter by trade ..if you want your pc fix yea... dats me..... :lol: but i will attempt to answer.....

1. primer does cure ???
i say follow the instructions on the primer.
priming bare metal may be different from priming a surface that already had a previous paint job on it.
also surface prep may be different.

i always thought is to do metal work.... then rust proof and prime then sand down... reapply primer where necessary...... guide coat & sand down ...tack cloth it and get ready for actual paint.....

2. if you doing multiple coats of paint some painters say 10-15 mins - some say 15 -30 mins....
the thing about doing multiple coats is it needs to be done right and the area must be free from dust particles as if any dust settles on the first layer you may not know until its too late....

3.. clear coat curing - have no clue.. some say 3-5 days.... check the clear coat manufacturer....

4. if by double clearing you mean flow coating....
check you the youtube channel called " the gunman"

i'll link it for you....

>>>

5. i wouldnt say leave it in the sun to get cured. reason is clear coat has UV inhibitors which are added to clear coat to prevent the color below from getting faded and dull.
if you put clear coat while its semi wet in the sun.. The UV inhibitors wont be able to protect the paint below and you may be actually causing more harm than good.

6... yes to flow coating... it makes it look more wet and smooth and the gloss is good.....

further questions you can talk to spann... he is the resident paint-ologist on tuner......

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 24th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Allyuh disturbing mih. I dealing with a mental case in a next thread . But.

1. Different primers and hardeners have different times. 24 hrs is very safe.

2. Flash off times vary according to reducer and temperature ,so read the instructions. Ten to fifteen minutes is good.

3. Most clear coats cure in 48 hrs . Leaving it longer to dry is better if buffing as all the solvents get enough time to evaporate I leave paint for a week before buffing. Heat curing accelerates the process. Just like a bake room.

4.Double clearing gives a better finish , but it's also unnecessary unless you looking for show finish. The clear can be sanded the next day and re-cleared. I did cars with double and triple clear. The results are outstanding.

5. Make sure to follow the mixing instructions to a T. Less hardener (or more) causes under or over catalysing which causes problems which I won't go into now.

I think one tuner mentioned paint cost $700 so you could pm him to find out where.

One thing I forgot, if you see paint crazing or peeling , don't try rubbing it and priming, you will end up with the same problem. Remove it , epoxy prime and then do any repairs . That is a very technical process though.

eKeith
Street 2NR

Postby eKeith » February 24th, 2020, 8:14 pm

No tuners have a bake room?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 24th, 2020, 8:19 pm

eKeith wrote:No tuners have a bake room?

You are correct Brother .. no " bake room "

But they charging $30K for a flash paint and calling it elite work and never go school .. :D :D :D

It's scam in truth ..

Venture is the BEST !!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”