Express article: The education of children of African origin

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Re: Express article: The education of children of African origin

Postby Dohplaydat » June 7th, 2021, 2:15 pm

alfa wrote:
Rockram wrote:Has anyone asked themselves what makes a prestige school, prestigious? When you put the top performing students together and make them compete.... together with strong institutional structures usually associated with the denominational schools. Put anyone of those students with a mix of poor/mediocre students and performance will drop.

A school by itself is just 4 walls and a roof. The teachers all have the same qualifications as the moe does not recognize schools as prestige per say. Simply put prestige students and prestige parents make prestige schools

This should have been obvious from the get go.

Just a side note, many think these prestige schools have the best facilities and teachers. Far from the truth. Back in my days at least our facilities and classrooms were far worse from most government schools. We had 10 ancient barely working computers, while most other high schools had brand new computer labs with many more PCs.

They're only successful because of the caliber of student and their drive/motivation to do well.

The question we have to ask ourselves is why do indo-trinidadians value education so much more that afro-trinidadians.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
alfa wrote:
Rockram wrote:Has anyone asked themselves what makes a prestige school, prestigious? When you put the top performing students together and make them compete.... together with strong institutional structures usually associated with the denominational schools. Put anyone of those students with a mix of poor/mediocre students and performance will drop.

A school by itself is just 4 walls and a roof. The teachers all have the same qualifications as the moe does not recognize schools as prestige per say. Simply put prestige students and prestige parents make prestige schools

This should have been obvious from the get go.

Just a side note, many think these prestige schools have the best facilities and teachers. Far from the truth. Back in my days at least our facilities and classrooms were far worse from most government schools. We had 10 ancient barely working computers, while most other high schools had brand new computer labs with many more PCs.

They're only successful because of the caliber of student and their drive/motivation to do well.

The question we have to ask ourselves is why do indo-trinidadians value education so much more that afro-trinidadians.

Indians know why they prioritise education.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Express article: The education of children of African origin

Postby MaxPower » June 7th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:The question we have to ask ourselves is why do indo-trinidadians value education so much more that afro-trinidadians.

Good question.

And racism should be out the door here as both indos and afros have the SAME opportunity to succeed.

Its all about applying yourself.

Both indos and afros, more so afros, have to PUT in the work.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 7th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:They're only successful because of the caliber of student and their drive/motivation to do well.

There is the stereotype and then there is the reality

It has to do with social pressure being greater in one ethnicity than another to perform educationally. I believe all ethnicities value education and send their children for it. But Indos value excelling academically while in Afros there is excelling academically, athletically and/or culturally. In my school, the majority of guys who studied in the US were due to athletic full or partial scholarships. Olatunji Yearwood was a year below me in 6th Form. His mom pulled him out to go study performance art, he is a successful recording artist now. Which Indo-Trini parent pulling them out of school to prepare them to be a soca artiste?

Nevertheless, the outcome is reflected in the table above and more or less Indos and Afros are educated to the proportion of their presence in the population. The Chinese and Lebanese-Syrians are the ones who have double and triple representation in certain education level despite their proportion. And there you might suggest wealth being a greater factor, than ethnicity

However, for some educated only means doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc but is the stereotype being reflected in the reality among the ethnic breakdown of teachers in the public service?

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » June 7th, 2021, 3:17 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:The question we have to ask ourselves is why do indo-trinidadians value education so much more that afro-trinidadians.

Good question.

And racism should be out the door here as both indos and afros have the SAME opportunity to succeed.

It has less to do with race, and more so socio economic standing and adjacent culture.

A poor person from a rough neighbourhood will always have a more difficult time than someone from a safe area with well off parents.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 7th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Asians generally, around the world do better in academics because of home pressure.Its a global thing.Hardly ever see a chinee in a junior sec

Rockram
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rockram » June 7th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Where I live there are 2 primary schools, a government school which has Ac, computer lab, smart desks etc, then there is a Presbyterian school with no AC, not a single PC, no projectors but all the parents in the area wants them to go to the Presbyterian school why, it's the culture of the denominational board run schools.

Government schools are afforded more resources but are consistently outperformed by the denominational schools.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 7th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Habit7 wrote:
It has to do with social pressure being greater in one ethnicity than another to perform educationally. I believe all ethnicities value education and send their children for it. But Indos value excelling academically while in Afros there is excelling academically, athletically and/or culturally. In my school, the majority of guys who studied in the US were due to athletic full or partial scholarships. Olatunji Yearwood was a year below me in 6th Form. His mom pulled him out to go study performance art, he is a successful recording artist now. Which Indo-Trini parent pulling them out of school to prepare them to be a soca artiste?

Nevertheless, the outcome is reflected in the table above and more or less Indos and Afros are educated to the proportion of their presence in the population. The Chinese and Lebanese-Syrians are the ones who have double and triple representation in certain education level despite their proportion. And there you might suggest wealth being a greater factor, than ethnicity

However, for some educated only means doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc but is the stereotype being reflected in the reality among the ethnic breakdown of teachers in the public service?

so, lewis talking sheit, and do that to race bait the red and ready into their anti indo+UNC rank closing?
seems about right.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 7th, 2021, 4:22 pm

the single data point that has been submitted shows the article as crap.

There seems to be little differences.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 7th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Yes Lewis talking nonsense, but at least in this thread, it has served to excite the anti Afros into spewing their racism here. Lewis doesn't represent the PNM, he is a columnist. If you want to play that game then did columnist Sat Maharaj views represents the UNC?
Kamla lost the 2020 election portraying Afros as victims of land inequity that she who try to correct and ran a bunch of ads portraying Afros as sufferers. And I don't blame her too much because she was trying to tap into the angst repeated by many Afros of them being the victims.

But there are opinions and there are facts, the data I showed, shows the facts. PNM doesn't need anybody to close ranks, Afros are 36% of the population and PNM wins 50% of the vote. They are doing just fine maintaining their base and attracting non-Afros. It is the UNC suffering from not attracting ppl outside of their Indo base.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 7th, 2021, 4:29 pm

teems1 wrote:
MaxPower wrote:

Good question.

It has less to do with race, and more so socio economic standing and adjacent culture.

A poor person from a rough neighbourhood will always have a more difficult time than someone from a safe area with well off parents.

I agree,

But i have also seen the poor kid in the rough neighborhood with the worst of parents top the class.

We have to start focusing on how to unlock the full potential of our youths.

It can be done……CAN.

Let’s start taking the word “CAN’T” out of our vocabulary.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 7th, 2021, 4:38 pm

FFS.

Improve the chit schools management system and accountability.
Get them teaching.

Minimum govt involvement day to day.

You know why the energy sector works....cuz it's privately done.

Use that model for education

It's incredibly lazy to throw race at everything...

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 7th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Redman wrote:It's incredibly lazy to throw race at everything...

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Habit7 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:They're only successful because of the caliber of student and their drive/motivation to do well.

There is the stereotype and then there is the reality

That graph fails to put forward which institution it originated from. So maybe you can state its source.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 7th, 2021, 5:27 pm

that graph/data is seriously wrong and not really presented to reflect anything

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Habit7 wrote:Yes Lewis talking nonsense, but at least in this thread, it has served to excite the anti Afros into spewing their racism here. Lewis doesn't represent the PNM, he is a columnist. If you want to play that game then did columnist Sat Maharaj views represents the UNC?
Kamla lost the 2020 election portraying Afros as victims of land inequity that she who try to correct and ran a bunch of ads portraying Afros as sufferers. And I don't blame her too much because she was trying to tap into the angst repeated by many Afros of them being the victims.

But there are opinions and there are facts, the data I showed, shows the facts. PNM doesn't need anybody to close ranks, Afros are 36% of the population and PNM wins 50% of the vote. They are doing just fine maintaining their base and attracting non-Afros. It is the UNC suffering from not attracting ppl outside of their Indo base.

The thing is Thoedore isn't just a columnist. Wasn't he a lecturer at UTT and responsible for some programme related to SEA? If the graph is a fact give us the source of it so we can verify.

PNM got 49.08% and UNC got 47.09% of the votes casted. So to declare PNM as popular and UNC as unpopular is misleading which based on your past actions is intentional. Again you just keep showing your lack of credibility.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 5:31 pm

pugboy wrote:that graph/data is seriously wrong and not really presented to reflect anything

The data lacks ownership. Let us wait for Habit7 to provide its source.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Redman wrote:the single data point that has been submitted shows the article as crap.

So you're just accepting data Habit7 posted as fact. There's no ownership from any person or institution on the data sheet. Aren't you interested in where it originated before accepting it as fact?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 7th, 2021, 5:50 pm

@Wraith King He said it's the census from 2011.

If it's wrong it's easy to change my opinion based on new info.
New info isn't someone saying it wrong.

It would be great if you could post something that we can rely on...

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Redman wrote:@Wraith King He said it's the census from 2011.

Him saying so doesn't necessarily means it is the truth.

Let him provide the source so we can verify.

So you're saying you'll believe anything Habit7 post but wanna jump on my case because I asked him to verify. I never said the data was wrong, I'm just waiting on him to state the source and the link so we can verify.

Wouldn't you find it great if Habit7 could post something you can rely on?

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Wraith King wrote:
Redman wrote:the single data point that has been submitted shows the article as crap.

So you're just accepting data Habit7 posted as fact. There's no ownership from any person or institution on the data sheet. Aren't you interested in where it originated before accepting it as fact?

I just provided data above regarding votes for PNM and UNC. You can rely on that instead of the false narrative Habit7 was trying to push about the PNM being popular and the UNC not so. As a matter of fact neither of the parties are popular because there's a large portion if the voting population that doesn't support either.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Redman wrote:@Wraith King He said it's the census from 2011.

I know you're a blind follower of Habit7 but act with some intelligence.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 7th, 2021, 6:21 pm

You seem to be unable to take your own advice as you have to pugboy.

Calm down...no need to spam the thread

the info is either right or it is wrong.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Redman wrote:You seem to be unable to take your own advice as you have to pugboy.

Calm down...no need to spam the thread

the info is either right or it is wrong.

Reread your first sentence and then edit it to make sense.

You don't worry if the information is right or wrong nah. Habit7 post it so it credible to you. Habit7 didn't say anything as yet but you here beating up about it because I asked him for the source and a link to verify. Yuh blood hot, yuh wah fight.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 7th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Again Habit7 makes himself look like a clown. He keeps posting outdated data and he expects tuner to take him on

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 7th, 2021, 8:50 pm

pugboy wrote:that graph/data is seriously wrong and not really presented to reflect anything

2011 CSO Census Data. You can go on https://cso.gov.tt/census/2011-census-data/ can create your own cross tabulations. I crossed ethnic group against highest qualification ever attained. I can't link directly to it but this is the official pdf
[url]https://redatam.org/bintto/RpWebUtilities.exe/reporte.pdf?LFN=RpBases\Tempo\100972\~tmp_10097201.pdf[/url]

Wraith King wrote:
Habit7 wrote:Yes Lewis talking nonsense, but at least in this thread, it has served to excite the anti Afros into spewing their racism here. Lewis doesn't represent the PNM, he is a columnist. If you want to play that game then did columnist Sat Maharaj views represents the UNC?

The thing is Thoedore isn't just a columnist. Wasn't he a lecturer at UTT and responsible for some programme related to SEA? If the graph is a fact give us the source of it so we can verify.

PNM got 49.08% and UNC got 47.09% of the votes casted. So to declare PNM as popular and UNC as unpopular is misleading which based on your past actions is intentional. Again you just keep showing your lack of credibility.

You are an expressed racist, that is not me trying to insult you. You have expressed false and diminutive views towards an ethnic group in an attempt to make another look superior. Your attempt to discredit me is laughable. Whatever position you think Theodore has, he doesn't represent the PNM. So for you to say that he or anyone writing a column is PNM pushing racism, it is false. This became political when the UNC MP made it political. If you have an issue with his views in the published column, take it up with the editor.

50% or more accurately 49.05%, in this democracy, means PNM won the popular vote and 22 out of 41 seats. You need to overdose on a bottle of Electionol to come to the realisation that the PNM is popular and is more popular than any other political party in the country. If this was an attempt to show my lack of credibility it failed. You are just a racist trying to feign intelligence, be gone.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 7th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Habit7 wrote:

2011 CSO Census Data. You can go on https://cso.gov.tt/census/2011-census-data/ can create your own cross tabulations. I crossed ethnic group against highest qualification ever attained. I can't link directly to it but this is the official pdf
[url]https://redatam.org/bintto/RpWebUtilities.exe/reporte.pdf?LFN=RpBases\Tempo\100972\~tmp_10097201.pdf[/url]

Wraith King wrote:

You are an expressed racist, that is not me trying to insult you. You have expressed false and diminutive views towards an ethnic group in an attempt to make another look superior. Your attempt to discredit me is laughable. Whatever position you think Theodore has, he doesn't represent the PNM. So for you to say that he or anyone writing a column is PNM pushing racism, it is false. This became political when the UNC MP made it political. If you have an issue with his views in the published column, take it up with the editor.

50% or more accurately 49.05%, in this democracy, means PNM won the popular vote and 22 out of 41 seats. You need to overdose on a bottle of Electionol to come to the realisation that the PNM is popular and is more popular than any other political party in the country. If this was an attempt to show my lack of credibility it failed. You are just a racist trying to feign intelligence, be gone.
Theodore does represent the red government so does the media and the editor.

You not fooling anyone with your racist views

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Habit7 wrote:

Wraith King wrote:

Lmao. So I'm racist now because I pointed out your flaw when you stayed the PNM was popular and the UNC isn't?

And then you try to put a spin on it by claiming your original post was PNM is more popular than any other political party. Your comment was-
"PNM doesn't need anybody to close ranks, Afros are 36% of the population and PNM wins 50% of the vote. They are doing just fine maintaining their base and attracting non-Afros. It is the UNC suffering from not attracting ppl outside of their Indo base."

How can the PNM be doing fine and the UNC suffering when the numbers are so close?

You get made out so you're changing what you originally stated. Delusional once again.

Strangely enough you are the one who has been called a racist by others and now you're accusing me of being a racist.

As for your credibility, it's just Redman and a few others believe you blindly. From what I've seen the majority of users here have expressed distrust and a strong dislike of you.

You described yourself perfectly when you said, " You are just a racist trying to feign intelligence"

Don't you ever get dizzy from all that spinning or embarrassed after being shown what a fool you are time and time again?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 7th, 2021, 11:05 pm

PNM 2025

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 7th, 2021, 11:11 pm

MaxPower wrote:PNM 2025

A few weeks ago I would have said that would have been the most likely outcome but now I think things are going to change.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”