TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Poll: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Should we have rent regulations in T&T?

Yes! Dem landlords advantageous!
47%
No! Government to boldface. Rent is the landlord-tenant business!
32%
Maybe... focus on protective legal frameworks only. Leave price between landlord & tenant.
21%

Total votes: 38

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Poll: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

Postby eliteauto » February 21st, 2020, 5:25 pm

it have taxi drivers making more than doctors plus his perspective would be similar to the landlord's so he would act accordingly, no surprise there

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2020, 5:40 pm

all he missing is a doubles man as a tenant

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » February 21st, 2020, 6:14 pm

Always go for the lowest rent that you can get, once it is not a hovel in a suspect area that you're getting. When you realize that rent, though sometimes necessary, is dead money, you will be glad that you didn't throw more away for a few dubious "furnishings"

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 21st, 2020, 7:14 pm

^^

Rent depends on the location ..

Closer to Beetham the less is the rent .

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 21st, 2020, 7:29 pm

RedVEVO wrote:^^

Rent depends on the location ..

Closer to Beetham the less is the rent .

On the Beetham =Free!

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 21st, 2020, 7:33 pm

^^

Try living or standing near to the Beetham .. for 5 mins or LESS

They will TAX your culo more than Hinds and his comrades ..

Why you think that gated location have 24 HOURS protection ?

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 21st, 2020, 7:37 pm

Line up bulldozers edge to edge and race across that entire place and flatten every dam inch of it, put those people somewhere else , and expand the city into that entire area... time to move the rats out of the city for good.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 21st, 2020, 7:41 pm

Laventille is some of the best and most expensive real estate in the country. Too bad about the small islanders stealing it in the 1960s and 70s.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 21st, 2020, 8:16 pm

^^

Yes the real estate is excellent .. the view is marvelous .. romantic

Some call it the EAST WESTMOORINGS = John John

But what can you really say . ?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 22nd, 2020, 1:15 pm

Call for Submissions - JSC Social Services and Public Administration - Rent Regulation

The Joint Select Committee on Social Services and Public Administration has commenced an inquiry on the system of Rent Regulation in Trinidad and Tobago.

The objectives of this inquiry are as follows:

> To assess the adequacy of the existing laws, policies and systems intended to protect tenants of residential property against unjustified rent prices;

> To determine the feasibility of imposing additional restrictions on the private rental sector in Trinidad and Tobago; and

> assess the existing systems and arrangements to enable access to, and sustainment of, private rental housing for low-income and vulnerable households.

The Committee is therefore inviting interested persons and organisations to submit written comments, suggestions and recommendations on this matter.

Members of the public are reminded that submissions should observe the principles of relevance, clarity, conciseness and accuracy.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS MONDAY MARCH 9, 2020 AT 4:00 P.M.

Written submissions should be addressed to the Secretary of the Committee at:

The Secretary
The Joint Select Committee on Social Services and Public Administration
Office of the Parliament
Parliamentary Complex
Cabildo Building
St. Vincent Street
Port-of-Spain

Submissions can also be forwarded via electronic mail to jscsspa@ttparliament.org.

http://www.ttparliament.org/about.php?m ... d=mrF51BCE

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 22nd, 2020, 2:48 pm

Once the goverment charging you a house tax based on the value of your property then that is what landlords will have to use as their justication for rents. Appears the goverment does not want to build anymore houses and wants to control the private rental sector. Or get people to sell their properties. More of a way to slowly strip away the properties of large homeowners. Pretty soon it may be unlawful to own multple homes .

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 22nd, 2020, 2:53 pm

^^ They doing that after they ALL fix themselves up nicely.

Look at Imbert's massive property on Picton St.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 22nd, 2020, 3:43 pm

They discussing UNJUSTIFIED rent prices . The restrictions in place now is for rental prices of less than a thousand dollars and has been so for years so what additional restrictions could they come up with? Probably raise the ceiling. The restrictions are fair in my opinion because people need some sort of code of conduct or some standard to operate by. As for them accessing private housing for low income earners, which they subsidize or even pay outright in some cases, nothing wrong with that because they’ve been doing it for years and they actually pay the rent. I think they just want to bring it up to date more than anything else. Rent prices have changed a lot over the years with no revision of the laws.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 22nd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Kickstart wrote:Once the goverment charging you a house tax based on the value of your property then that is what landlords will have to use as their justication for rents. Appears the goverment does not want to build anymore houses and wants to control the private rental sector. Or get people to sell their properties. More of a way to slowly strip away the properties of large homeowners. Pretty soon it may be unlawful to own multple homes .

If only you had any idea how they actually calculate property tax

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 22nd, 2020, 5:04 pm

One thing i learn over the past few years, is that the best place to rent is a building that is already paid off.

These tend to be older buildings, 20-40 years old, owned by older couples post retirement. You would be floored by how much they charge. 2 bedrooms, usually with hot water and a/c for 2500/month. And these are well kept buildings in good areas.

Talking about San Fernando and environs, wouldnt touch the PoS/Diego rental market with a 10 foot pole.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 22nd, 2020, 5:09 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
MaxPower wrote:People working hard and building up houses for rent to make money.

So they cant charge high rent to like up theyself too?

Only allyuh sufferers want nice house for small money?

Pay it or move up!

Don't get me started on how some does keep the landlord place.

I usually look at some layouts to see what I like for my home. I have seen some very nice properties and I get vex seeing how the tenants have it and it not even my place.

Just today I been to a property. Tenant said ac leaking water.
Hauled my ass over there even though I supposed to avoid such environments in my state only to meet a big block of ice. If its not working, turn it the f**k off, how stupid can you be? I rectified it and shut it down so the person cant turn it on till it thaws. Took the tenant name and number, calling tenant, tenant not answering.
How much you wanna bet said tenant wanna haggle price and say how ac wasnt available for a half day?
And on top that they kick out the drain line and have water leaking all over the yard. Yuh eh have it in yuh head to stick it back in? Like I hadda glue it in place :roll:

I know a teacher who doesn't know how to clean an AC filter and uses it until it clogs up and needs a complete service. So be thankful that Trinis are so illiterate more money for you

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 22nd, 2020, 5:27 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
Kickstart wrote:Once the goverment charging you a house tax based on the value of your property then that is what landlords will have to use as their justication for rents. Appears the goverment does not want to build anymore houses and wants to control the private rental sector. Or get people to sell their properties. More of a way to slowly strip away the properties of large homeowners. Pretty soon it may be unlawful to own multple homes .

Explain as I and others may not know. From what I am seeing the goverment is trying to lessen people owning multiple properties.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:One thing i learn over the past few years, is that the best place to rent is a building that is already paid off.

These tend to be older buildings, 20-40 years old, owned by older couples post retirement. You would be floored by how much they charge. 2 bedrooms, usually with hot water and a/c for 2500/month. And these are well kept buildings in good areas.

Talking about San Fernando and environs, wouldnt touch the PoS/Diego rental market with a 10 foot pole.
The government in my view seems anti home ownership. High Property prices was a result from drug and money laundering bussiness and not mom and pop working and saving to secure their future. This is just all wrong. If a landlord sets a rent then it's up to protential tennant to accept or look else where.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 22nd, 2020, 5:50 pm

Kickstart wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

Explain as I and others may not know. From what I am seeing the goverment is trying to lessen people owning multiple properties.

I talk my liver string out in the property tax thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=685417

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 22nd, 2020, 5:54 pm

Kickstart wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:One thing i learn over the past few years, is that the best place to rent is a building that is already paid off.

The government in my view seems anti home ownership. High Property prices was a result from drug and money laundering bussiness and not mom and pop working and saving to secure their future. This is just all wrong. If a landlord sets a rent then it's up to protential tennant to accept or look else where.

Congrats, you missed the point of my post. Not once did i say anything about haggling down somebody uncle.

Older houses owned by older people are more often paid off, and they charge what they deem to be fair, and covers their expenses and profit. They not charging high prices to recoup an investment on inflated land and labour. These people are the ones who make the best landlords if you play nice with them and pay on time.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 22nd, 2020, 5:58 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

I talk my liver string out in the property tax thread
http://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vie ... 4&t=685417
Ok did not know

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 22nd, 2020, 6:08 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

Congrats, you missed the point of my post. Not once did i say anything about haggling down somebody uncle.

Older houses owned by older people are more often paid off, and they charge what they deem to be fair, and covers their expenses and profit. They not charging high prices to recoup an investment on inflated land and labour. These people are the ones who make the best landlords if you play nice with them and pay on time.
My parents and other family members own fully paid rental properties. The idea of a good tenant is a fable. They will often pay late and give all sort of excuses not to pay. They are quick to find fault with the appartments. Those that have good income tend to fall in that group. Tennats can be a problem

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 22nd, 2020, 6:14 pm

The reality is no Rent isn't too high because people pay it. Let us look at cost of living in India vs USA, in the US it is incredibly high where as in India everything seems incredibly cheap. But US money is worth far more than rupees, no matter how you look at it anywhere in the world, everything is based on the economy of said country and things cost what they cost because people CAN afford it no matter what they say.

Venezuelans right now working for LESS than we do and they are ALL RENTING and not complaining at all about the price.

There is your proof, Trinidad has a stable economy a minimum wage that is a lot higher than places in South America it is ranked one of the happiest countries in the world regardless of how much money people make.

We do complain a lot but we must not forget we play next to nothing in Taxes compared to other countries. The fact is if people couldn't afford current rent prices they wouldn't be paying it and rent wouldn't be as expensive as it is now.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 22nd, 2020, 6:23 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:You all go ahead and shrug this off, next thing you know govt really trying to step in and regulate and tax rentals,,, our freedoms are being jeopardized little by little. What we knew as our rights will soon be under fire..

Glad to see somebody reading the play.
Is a while now they eyeballing how literally hundreds of millions of dollars changing hands annually in private property rentals & many property owners not paying income tax or any other tax on these revenues, so the gov't coffers gets nothing for doing nothing. & we all know by now how politicians in dis place absolutely live for finding new ways to demand payment for doing nothing. dis KILLIN Clown Inbutt.

as regards rental prices, it's simple supply & demand with a finacial twist. The real & root cost of rental rates is land purchase, construction & finance costs. So, as a result of the landlord being in a position he cannot entirley control, he bears some massive expenses & headaches, yuh can't tell a landlord at what price he should deprive himself of his property unless yuh put a cap on the cost of land, labor, materials and financing FIRST.

and if yuh tell him that price & say he can't go higher, who compensating him & how he making ends meet? They want to tell ppl how well they shoul live now too? & if the pricing they set is too low & he end up with some of the gremlins I see rent ppl place, that would intentionally demolish an apt before they move out, how is the landlord to recover from that? & he find it not worth it & decide to let the property sit empty, what benefit is that to the potential tenants that would like to live there?

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 22nd, 2020, 6:33 pm

I think the goverment is in a move to lessen land lords and people owning multiple properties. They don't want landlords to make money. Force house taxes on property and then limit what you want for it. As 88 said they want in on the money made from private rentals.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 22nd, 2020, 6:47 pm

just an exmple of the kinda $$ we talking about
I know a couple that owns a few apt buildings along the east-west corridor
one building has 18 apts & rent is 2400/m each. that building alone nets them $518K/year, and they have 2 other buildings, same design & rental prices. Meaning they pulling in a cool $1.5M/year easy, +/- $200K for R&M costs.

If they were to be charged income tax on that revenue, that'd be roughly $388K/year they have to pay this gov't of useless anal fistulas for doing absolutely NOTHING.
yuh feel dem is money satan in joke

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » February 22nd, 2020, 10:27 pm

Only sufferers have this problem

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » February 22nd, 2020, 10:28 pm

They want the land to return to the government so they can further rape and pillage

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Poll: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

Postby MaxPower » February 23rd, 2020, 2:16 am

matr1x wrote:Only sufferers have this problem

Correct

I love that you notice.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » February 23rd, 2020, 7:39 am

88sins wrote:just an exmple of the kinda $$ we talking about
I know a couple that owns a few apt buildings along the east-west corridor
one building has 18 apts & rent is 2400/m each. that building alone nets them $518K/year, and they have 2 other buildings, same design & rental prices. Meaning they pulling in a cool $1.5M/year easy, +/- $200K for R&M costs.

If they were to be charged income tax on that revenue, that'd be roughly $388K/year they have to pay this gov't of useless anal fistulas for doing absolutely NOTHING.
yuh feel dem is money satan in joke

Dem self so suppose to be payin tax, they could afford it. Dem so does tell yuh cash only rent payments cuz nothin to go in the bank accounts to look suspicious. Same with doctors too, they get the accountant to break up there pay cheque to make it look like they get paid small money and use multiple bank accounts not to mention takin wok on d side.

Kill d poor man with PAYE, NIS, etc and all the rest ah tax while d rich man live scott free using same public services they don't contribute a cent to ent? So then if they have no problem breaking the law by evading tax on their profits what's the problem if tenant breaks the law and mash up dey place and doh pay rent? Different strokes for different folks or wa?

Give unto Caesar wa due to Caesar or go live ina 1st world country an see wa tax really is and worse try avoid it and see how 1st world countries effectively implements laws relating tax evasion

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”