Forums

Carpe Diem!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Carpe Diem!

Postby bluefete » May 15th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Saw these comments on YT by an old timer. Wisdom fuh so.

I am 85 years old and this song rings so true. When you are young you think that you will live forever, that you will keep your youthful looks and healthy body.

For those who do manage to keep their good looks beyond that certain age, and to maintain an active life, I envy you.

I did all of the right things over the years. Competitive swimming, weight training, boxing, tae kwando, rock climbing, mountaineering, long distance walking and served with the Royal Marines. I also followed a very healthy diet.

Now I am hampered by poor circulation in both legs due to DVT and I have lived with lymphoma since 2012. On the occasions when I am able to visit the pubs and cafes I used to visit with my friends, I can sit at the same table around which we would spend many happy hours.

Sadly, the other chairs are empty. All my friends have now gone before me, save for one who is confined to a wheelchair and I see only rarely. Time has passed so quickly but my memories haven't faded. I can see their faces and hear their voices and their laughter.

I can remember my first love from when we first met to when we sadly had to part because her family were moving back to their roots in Hartlepool.

I look in the mirror now and see a face so different in every way from how I looked then.

In my head I am the same person but just a lot wiser. My body just an old banger really.

I look back at my young days in the sun. Mostly happy some sad but all grist to the mill that has made me who I am today. I look back to those days with great fondness because yes for me the 50s and 60s were the days. Now I live for the present and enjoy what I can of it.

For the future, I do not dwell on it.

The candle must be getting ever closer to the end of its wick. I don't worry about it; one day it will splutter and go out. I shall leave with few regrets as to how I have lived my life.

To today's young I say, seize the day, wring everything you can out of it. That day only comes once in your lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptZ8tYZAkE

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Carpe Diem!

Postby Skanky » May 15th, 2020, 4:56 pm

You reposting yourself breads?Oh laude.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » May 15th, 2020, 5:08 pm

This COVID thing have some people coming to terms with their mortality...:|

But there's some good advice in there.

People should also just do something fulfilling rather than trying to live up to the expectations of parents, teachers, spouse, friends, enemies, Party, Government etc. Just realise there are realities/consequences you may have to deal with.

I remember an interview with Dennis Hall (Sprangalang) saying that his father never held him back from pursuing a career in entertainment but cautioned him about the difficulties especially in terms of a lack of steady income.

Years later and the man has left an indelible mark on Trini culture. He still eh "rich" but has enjoyed the journey...we should all be so lucky.

BTW his brother Tony Hall — one of the driving forces behind the Gayelle TV series — died recently. RIP.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 15th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Reminds me of that ever so popular fisherman story....

Two friends finish high school, one decides to go live the simple life, lives in a small house near the sea, owns a boat and becomes a fisherman.

The other one pursues school, studies to be a lawyer works for 45 years running down the money to retire at 60 to use his retirement money to live the simple life, in a little house near the sea and own a boat to go fishing.

One fella spent his entire life doing what he liked the other lived doing what he hated looking forward to that day when he could retire and do what he liked.

Sometimes you look at the "simple" people in society and they seem to be living a happier life. Less stressed living today for today.... maybe some of us have the wrong formula!

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 16th, 2020, 3:22 am

u never grow old...u just physically can't do the things you used to do...

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » May 16th, 2020, 8:17 am

The simple life is ok when the weather is fine, your health in decent shape, and no issues with your neighbors.

Real life shows that those 3 variables are not stable, hence doing a job you dislike for 45 years.
Gladiator wrote:Reminds me of that ever so popular fisherman story....

Two friends finish high school, one decides to go live the simple life, lives in a small house near the sea, owns a boat and becomes a fisherman.

The other one pursues school, studies to be a lawyer works for 45 years running down the money to retire at 60 to use his retirement money to live the simple life, in a little house near the sea and own a boat to go fishing.

One fella spent his entire life doing what he liked the other lived doing what he hated looking forward to that day when he could retire and do what he liked.

Sometimes you look at the "simple" people in society and they seem to be living a happier life. Less stressed living today for today.... maybe some of us have the wrong formula!

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I hear you... especially on health... but I hardly see a big belly fisherman. They all look very healthy and strong... LOL... :D

teems1 wrote:The simple life is ok when the weather is fine, your health in decent shape, and no issues with your neighbors.

Real life shows that those 3 variables are not stable, hence doing a job you dislike for 45 years.
Gladiator wrote:Reminds me of that ever so popular fisherman story....

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 16th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Carpe Geedem

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”