Forums

Solar energy in TnT

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Solar energy in TnT

Postby viedcht » June 13th, 2020, 8:33 am

Anybody have solar systems at home? Some reviews would be nice.

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Solar energy in TnT

Postby sMASH » June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am

it costly to set up. batteries and panels have life spans, u have to get good enough inverters for it to be usable, which are costly. by the time u reach the life span of the batteries, the ttec rate will cost less.

in other countries, where the grid power is costly, it makes sense to have this as a supplementary source, but in trinidad ttec is cheaper.
then, u have to ahve enough batteries to store for use at night, and during rainy season, over cast conditions often times dont charge the batteries at all, and u have to use another source, ttec or generator.

if u have to do things like run multiple poles, or ur in the bush and use generator, thennnnn the set up cost is a viable option.
its okay, if u set it up well, but that means money to set up.
i havent been able to use the tesla batteries, which cost a sheit load more, but they give a lot better capacity and life span.

if ttec decide to raise their rates significantly, and also do the thing where different times have different rates, then this might make sense to add to the system. but i doubt they will do anyting like that any where within 10 years.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 13th, 2020, 9:01 am

Subsidized electricity is killing us by stagnating investment, research and innovation in the energy sector.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 13th, 2020, 9:32 am

Well you not saying what you want to buy, so I can't give you a review. But I can tell you what I know from xp.

I don't have one at home, but i have a small system at a camp on the estate. As of right now it's made up of 3 panels, 3 lead acid batteries in parallel, one regulator & a inverter (iirc it's 3kW) Works well enough for my power needs at the location which are not much. Just a few LED lights inside and outside, a radio, a fan, a small fridge, phone and tool chargers. System always states full charge, because the load isn't much and I don't live there, only there every few weeks.
They can be costly to initially set up, and for heavy power requirements like to power a home you will need a lot of panels and lot of storage capacity which means a huge battery bank or some other form of very energy dense storage system. Batteries will need changing eventually if you use lead acid, less frequently if using LiFePo4 or LTO, but the cost of batteries goes up significantly if using those. Have to consider also the cycling depth and frequency of cycling of your battery bank as this will affect the life of your batteries.

What you looking to do? I only ask because without knowing your power requirements it kinda hard to help you figure out what you may need or if it feasible.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 13th, 2020, 9:52 am

^For a year or two it's been an idea in my head, but have some funds to start, 30-35k, and looking to power part if not to the entire of a downstairs apartment. But maybe main appliances; fridge, water heater, washing machine, Aircon. It's for me so I can manage the power usage. Was just considering the viability. Was considering a system for plug-in HEV as well.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 13th, 2020, 10:25 am

solar feasible for lights
but when you start to talk motorized appliances
it’s. whole different game and cost

running a generator off lpg is the next best option

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 13th, 2020, 10:52 am

Never considered that LPG part but usually the diesel/gas generator noisy as hell for me... Actually trying to do my part in reducing pollution in this lil spot on the planet, and well, solar=free. Me like free
pugboy wrote:solar feasible for lights
but when you start to talk motorized appliances
it’s. whole different game and cost

running a generator off lpg is the next best option

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 13th, 2020, 11:01 am

600w usually is enough to run a deep freeze, or a power saw, from like 8 am to 3 pm. by that time we stop, to let the batteries charge back up before night hits.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 13th, 2020, 12:11 pm

ok so my input... i have solar panel at home - just there not hooked up to anything.
and when exposed to sunlight i can get 20 V DC off it. ... :shock: which is amazing.

so Ive always wanted to setup a unit at home to run my router and fan 24/7.....
and maybe if cash permits my ac system -

so my research shows you will need the solar cell ( obviously ) a charge controller ( unit that controls the flow of power ) a battery ( storage unit to store power) and an inverter ( to convert back from DC to AC)

i'll break each piece down in step by step .

solar cells - there's two types - mono crystalline and poly crystalline.

mono crystalline panels are more efficient than poly crystalline units - why ?
Mono crystalline solar panels contain cells that are cut from a single crystalline silicon ingot.
The composition of these cells is purer because each cell is made from a single piece of silicon.

As a result, mono panels are slightly more efficient than poly panels. They also perform better in high heat and lower light environments, which means they will produce closer to their rated output in less than ideal conditions.

Poly crystalline Solar Panels

Poly crystalline solar cells are blended together from multiple pieces of silicon The blended makeup of the cells gives poly panels their iconic blue color. If you look at them up close, you’ll see the texture and color is uneven due to the way the cells are made.

charge controller

theres two types of charge controllers -
PWM (pulse width modulated)
Maximum power point tracking (MPPT)

With a PWM controller the current is drawn out of the panel at just above the battery voltage, whereas
With an MPPT controller the current is drawn out of the panel at the panel “maximum power voltage” (think of an MPPT controller as being a “smart DC-DC converter”)

for beginners a PWM controller will be fine but if you really want power for bigger battery banks and bigger loads and to manager bigger solar arrays - a MPPT controller is what you will need.

battery - lead acid is fine but newer types of battery lithium ion and nickel hydride etc cost more and last longer - drawback is they will require the correct charge controller to charge those types of batteries.

inverters.
again two types - regular inverters and pure sine wave output inverters.

the difference between both is the waveform each produces.

regular inverter - when you look at the wave form the regular inverter outputs - via an oscilloscope its called step approximation- so you get something like a saw tooth waveform.
normally this will work fine of basic things like fans and lights.
when you want to power more sensitive equipment like a tv or stereo or Ac it may not work as desired.

pure sine wave output inverter . these units give a true sine wave at 58-60 hz.and devices that solely operate at this frequency will work without issues.

drawback is the cost of the inverter

so depending on what you want to power and how much power you need will determine your components you buy and ultimately its scalability...

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 13th, 2020, 12:49 pm

viedcht wrote:^For a year or two it's been an idea in my head, but have some funds to start, 30-35k, and looking to power part if not to the entire of a downstairs apartment. But maybe main appliances; fridge, water heater, washing machine, Aircon. It's for me so I can manage the power usage. Was just considering the viability. Was considering a system for plug-in HEV as well.

Doable.
If you run a 48v system with your current budget you could power an entire downstairs minus the AC & water heater, you might need to increase your budget to about 45K for better storage options and panels if you really want to run those. From what you saying, and depending on how power will be used, start with a bare minimum of 15kW of storage if using PB-acid batteries. It sounds like a lot I know. Bu you have to consider that unless you buying true deep cycle batteries, you should only cycle PB-acid batteries down to 50% since cycling them deeper will shorten their life and capacity capabilities. So from that 15kW, you can safely draw about 7-7.5 kw for the days usage, depending on the type of ac that should be enough. that . Thats also catering for losses at the inverter, cables, current draw from the charging and management system. There are solar water heaters available that can be run entirely separate from your system if hot water is a must.
Now here's the potential problem.
For 15kw of storage using PB-acid batteries (say the larger 13 plate car batteries rated at 67aH), you would need approximately 18 of those, plus racks, and a LOT of cables and terminals and a couple fans to keep them cool. So at least battery housing will be a space issue using those. If you use EV batteries, they will take up less space and last longer but cost much more.

Is up to you what you want to do.
Good luck.

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » June 13th, 2020, 12:52 pm

My front gate is solar powered. It was costing me too much to run the hard wired connection so I went with a solar option. This was back in 2013. I replaced the original battery late last year so that wasn’t bad battery life. Cost me about 1/3 of what the hard wire installation would have cost.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 13th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Hmm I never thought about solar for gate thanks
antlind wrote:My front gate is solar powered. It was costing me too much to run the hard wired connection so I went with a solar option. This was back in 2013. I replaced the original battery late last year so that wasn’t bad battery life. Cost me about 1/3 of what the hard wire installation would have cost.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 13th, 2020, 1:57 pm

antlind wrote:My front gate is solar powered. It was costing me too much to run the hard wired connection so I went with a solar option. This was back in 2013. I replaced the original battery late last year so that wasn’t bad battery life. Cost me about 1/3 of what the hard wire installation would have cost.
Read up on energysage some time ago, was more thinking same EV/lithium battery

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 13th, 2020, 7:17 pm

There are ways that you can use solar without a purpose-built power distribution system.

Power at distant lighting locations or on poles.
Power for small or remote outbuildings.
Passive solar hot water heating.
Automated gate and garage door openers (these are great during a power outage).
48v DC inverter air conditioning units.
Proximity-sensing outdoor lighting.
Solar powered DC water reservoir lift pumps.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » June 13th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Do you guys know of anyone in Trinidad doing solar ac units beside Trifactor?

Sateesh
Ricer

Postby Sateesh » June 15th, 2020, 7:40 am

I would recommend using lithium ion batteries or deep cycle batteries, good rated charge controllers(do some research). and proper solar panels.
and after you put that up you need a generator to recharge the batteries when rain falling and a good battery charger.
It works good but you need to size the system properly and cater for batteries to not drop below 80%(lithium batteries can go very low). solar works good when you have lots of batteries. Just imagine having to change out deep cycle batteries every 4 to 5 years. They tell you that but what if you have to replace before that time. Systems now have apps where you can monitor usage, load, runtime etc. Solar can be smart but costly for me and cheap for others.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » June 15th, 2020, 8:34 am

Sateesh wrote:I would recommend using lithium ion batteries or deep cycle batteries, good rated charge controllers(do some research). and proper solar panels.
and after you put that up you need a generator to recharge the batteries when rain falling and a good battery charger.
It works good but you need to size the system properly and cater for batteries to not drop below 80%(lithium batteries can go very low). solar works good when you have lots of batteries. Just imagine having to change out deep cycle batteries every 4 to 5 years. They tell you that but what if you have to replace before that time. Systems now have apps where you can monitor usage, load, runtime etc. Solar can be smart but costly for me and cheap for others.

Battery lifespan & health are dependent on several factors, including but not limited to the type of battery, how it was made, system charging rate (both v & A) , temperature of the individual batteries/cells, cycling depth and frequency, etc. so to say "Just imagine having to change out deep cycle batteries every 4 to 5 years. They tell you that but what if you have to replace before that time" isn't the a very objective way to view it. Here's a quick example.
If you have a lithium bank with 20kW storage capacity, and your batteries/cells are supposedly good for 20000 cycles at 80% discharge but your regular usage on average only draws 5kW of energy before recharging, there is a more than likely chance that battery bank could outlive you, because you are not depleting them to 80%. Granted, this is easier to achieve with LiFePo4 or LTO batteries/cells than traditional pb-acid batteries, but if one were to run well made, true deep cycle agm batteries they'd last more than 4-5 years, 7-10 years would be more likely provided you remember to top off electrolyte every so often.
If you look at it from the viewpoint of one cycle takes a full 24hr day to complete at 80% discharge it'll take about 55 years to reach 20K cycles, & if one were to cater for losses due to inefficiencies and & battery/cell defects of 15%, that's still about 47 years worth of life out of the system.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 29th, 2022, 7:13 am

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 29th, 2022, 7:46 am

We have too many neckbeards down here to even consider trying that

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 29th, 2022, 12:47 pm

timelapse wrote:We have too many neckbeards down here to even consider trying that

As long as natural gas is available and electricity is subsidized moving towards solar will be very slow. The payback period is just too long. Just the sheer number of street lights in T&T shows how much we care about energy consumption.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 29th, 2022, 2:05 pm

A lot of street lights here and there have solar panels mounted on them.

Our driveway was the only driveway in the neighborhood illuminated during the blackout as I have solar lights. Going on years now they just there lighting. They use rechargeable batteries that most tv remotes use.

There is the option for lithium ion now instead of the traditional banks. Just take a look on xs power site and see the options available and space saving potential. An entire bank can be replaced by one battery that feels like an empty case. Sure it's hella expensive but you get what you pay for.

Eventually lithium will get cheaper as it gets outdated. I wanted to experiment with cells from those hybrid cars battery bank but turned out men reuse them in people cars and claim it's brand new. Bobol can't done.

I think the new np station in preysal runs on renewables and promans zandolie platform in the gulf runs on 100% renewable energy. It's not to say it can't be done, it's just that we accustomed being spoonfed.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 29th, 2022, 3:36 pm

joe, those street lights not using leds?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 29th, 2022, 8:51 pm

Not accustomed to being spoonfed, is just that it's actually kinda costly for a person to go solar to power an entire house, so the motivation isn't there.

As you mentioned bobol with the car battery banks, boi, if you only know eh. It's one of the reasons bandits targeting certain ev's and hybrids. But for real they would be nearly perfect for a home solar power system. Cheaper to buy used ev banks online and import them, just have to go through the little headache of load testing each cell and swapping out the bad ones.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 30th, 2022, 4:00 am

redmanjp wrote:joe, those street lights not using leds?

New highways get LED and they are phasing out the old ones but regardless of that they not solar and we install them every few meters like if the power they use is nothing.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”