Forums

Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

teems1
punchin NOS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby teems1 » August 3rd, 2021, 8:49 pm

2WNBoost wrote:Remember there are people who profit from war and conflict.
There is treasure to be found everywhere if you put your mind to it.
It’s just a question of how far will you go.

matr1x wrote:The truly corrupt know how to exploit a disaster
When there's blood in the streets, you buy.

Xplode
Riding on 17's

Postby Xplode » August 7th, 2021, 9:40 am

Coco Reef closes doors

The sister island of Tobago continues to face economic woes from the Covid-19 lockdown measures, which have forced the Coco Reef Resort and Spa to temporarily shut its doors.

President of the Tobago Hotel and Tourism Association Christian James said yesterday a number of other hotels such as the Grafton Beach Resort and its sister property, Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort, have also temporarily closed operations, as well as small hotels.

“There is no real sustainable economic activity at the moment in Tobago,” he said to the Express by phone.

“At the moment, we have no confirmed international airlift to Tobago, and with only three flights on the air bridge, it’s unlikely that we can create any occupancy that’s sustainable. It is a concern as people have no money, but it’s just the fact at the moment with the lock down the way it is. Many small hotels have also decided to shut their doors as well,” he added.

In a release dated August 5 Coco Reef and Spa owner John Jefferis said while associates have remained employed during the past 18 months, the current levels of staffing and employment cannot continue as it has during the pandemic.

“The uncertainty of beach closures, curfews and restricted travel has proven to be too much to allow for continued operations. Staffing will be reduced to maintain security of this island jewel. Reopening will be anticipated and planned for as travel resumes, as vaccinations increase and as new hospitality initiatives and protocols are embraced and implemented,” he said.

Jefferis noted it is a new world of travel and hospitality and a well-planned tourism effort is required to bring Tobago back to its pristine island destination image.

“Coco Reef Resort Tobago welcomes sensitivity to all tourism facets and a multi pronged approach to increasing airlift, reducing barriers and lifting the quality of services in our beloved Tobago. Coco Reef Resort and Spa looks forward to reopening at a date yet to be determined,” he said.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 9th, 2021, 11:07 pm

^^

Coco Reef Resort Tobago closure is temporary .

" President of the Tobago Hotel and Tourism Association Christian James said yesterday a number of other hotels such as the Grafton Beach Resort and its sister property, Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort, have also temporarily closed operations, as well as small hotels "

tarzan
3NE 2NR for life

Postby tarzan » August 10th, 2021, 10:50 am

so seeing that its temporary......

what are you trying to say, that it's okay if an entire industry collapses due to incompetent governance ??

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 11th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Any accuracy in those reported 6000 small businesses in South Trinidad that will not be reopening come next Monday? or are the figures being blown out of proportion?

6,000 businesses face permanent closure, won’t reopen Monday

Preparation is underway for the reopening of the retail sector next week but the Confederation of Regional Business Chamber says 6,000 businesses around the country will remain permanently closed.

Coordinator of the Confederation Jai Leladharsingh told Guardian Media that based on a survey done by the Confederation, about 6,000 out of 17,000 small and medium enterprises are facing economic decimation.

“Based on a survey that the confederation did, I say 6,000 businesses are going to permanently shut their doors. Restaurants, in-house dining, spas, beauty salons. It is sad, especially because many of these businesses are run by women. They need some help,” Leladharsingh said. 

He added, “The Ministry of Legal Affairs says there are 28,000 registered businesses in T&T . This is the formal sector but there is also a large informal sector that has to be studied.

“ Out of that 28,000, 17,000 are micro, small and medium enterprises. From the 28,000, it is estimated that 9,000 is from the retail sector,” Leladharsingh said.

Noting that the $300 million tranche given to commercial banks to assist SME’s were underutilized, Leladharsingh said many felt it was an entrapment.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/6000-bu ... 80511553a5

SuperiorMan
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby SuperiorMan » August 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:Any accuracy in those reported 6000 small businesses in South Trinidad that will not be reopening come next Monday? or are the figures being blown out of proportion?

This sounds hard to believe.

Wonder how many of these 6000 are fast food.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 11th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Trade Ministry dismisses retail closure figures by chamber

The Ministry of Trade and Industry has dismissed claims by the Confederation of Regional Business Chambers that 6,000 retail businesses will remain permanently closed.

In a media statement on Wednesday, the ministry said it was concerned about the accuracy of the figures presented by the chamber.

“It is deeply concerned about the reliability and credibility of the figure quoted and wishes to advise that this information cannot be substantiated by either the Ministry of Labour or the Central Statistical Office (CSO) at this time. In addition, the ministry is yet to be furnished with a copy of the purported survey undertaken by the confederation," it said.”

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/08/11/trade- ... y-chamber/

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 12th, 2021, 7:04 am

^^

The Ministry and/or Minister has no credibility .

The first line of propaganda strategy is to deny the problem or the statistic exist .

Or " I did not read the report . I was abroad on vacation and just returned today "

Or " I am not aware of the event . The event was staged . "

Or " Listen , It have no damn vaccine to buy in the World ! So HYMC ! "

Chances are the real number is higher :D

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 8:03 am

the Minister dismissed the quotes by stating that CSO is unaware of this development. The same CSO that says that inflation throughout the pandemic was under 1 per cent? And she has the audacity to talk about credibility? Yh the chambers figures might be inflated to sensationalize their claim (whoever heard of an honest businessman?) Still, it is foolish to believe that the pandemic had a minor impact on the business sector and the longevity of some establishments. For instance, when malls were still open, after the lockdowns, imo, plenty stores in Trincity seemed like they closed their doors permanently.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 8:38 am

So if its even 4000 businesses that closed their doors , and some of those are single business people and others may have 1-3 employees, thats still an additional 6000 people possibly with no income again.

Things not looking too good for Trini right now, and the unvaccinated want to make style on the employers about getting the jab, i hope when they get fired and they realize that they have 10 people waiting vaccinated to fill their positions they come to their senses.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 8:41 am

^ i hope when they get fired they sue as well as, as stated by several lawyers before, employers cannot change the terms of employment just so. Additionally, employers cannot mandate something that is not law. Its telling that you not hearing about these mandatory vaccines for employment in organizations that are unionized.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 12th, 2021, 8:52 am

CSO has not done the Continuous Sample Survey of Population (CSSP) since 2019. This is a quarterly survey with the objective of providing up to date data on the Labour Force characteristics of the population of Trinidad and Tobago on a continuing basis.
We are also overdue on the Census which should have been done last year
Central Bank's Labour Force numbers including unemployment are at Q4 2019

Private sector may very well have more updated figures than our statistical agencies.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 9:06 am

elec2020 wrote:^ i hope when they get fired they sue as well as, as stated by several lawyers before, employers cannot change the terms of employment just so. Additionally, employers cannot mandate something that is not law. Its telling that you not hearing about these mandatory vaccines for employment in organizations that are unionized.

if employers are smart they know exactly how to get rid of them the legal way.... not hard at all and justified and has absolutely no way it can be taken to a union for them to take seriously!

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 9:08 am

Dizzy28 wrote:CSO has not done the Continuous Sample Survey of Population (CSSP) since 2019. This is a quarterly survey with the objective of providing up to date data on the Labour Force characteristics of the population of Trinidad and Tobago on a continuing basis.
We are also overdue on the Census which should have been done last year
Central Bank's Labour Force numbers including unemployment are at Q4 2019

Private sector may very well have more updated figures than our statistical agencies.

We are still backwards and inefficient in so many ways, to date you would think we should have computerized all government offices to start with and would be able to pay for almost everything government related online... we cant even do a simple task like that.
We still have to physically go to pay fines and tickets......
No one during this pandemic should have to line up in any Govt office to pay for any services...it should be available online.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 9:26 am

Ben_spanna wrote:
elec2020 wrote:^ i hope when they get fired they sue as well as, as stated by several lawyers before, employers cannot change the terms of employment just so. Additionally, employers cannot mandate something that is not law. Its telling that you not hearing about these mandatory vaccines for employment in organizations that are unionized.

if employers are smart they know exactly how to get rid of them the legal way.... not hard at all and justified and has absolutely no way it can be taken to a union for them to take seriously!

Seeing that you so know. What pray tell way is that? To fire an employee without tying back that it was due to them being unvaccinated. Because, and this may shock you, when you fire someone you have to give a reason why you let them go. So if on my reports, I am recorded as a high performer, reach in office on time, on occasion stay behind to meet last minute deadlines, work well with other colleagues then what can you put on my record as a reason to fire me without opening up yourself to litigation for wrongful dismissal (which can extend now into discrimination if my lawyer can prove that those who perform worse than me are still on the job but the only difference between me and them on paper is our vaccination status).

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 10:09 am

elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

Seeing that you so know. What pray tell way is that? To fire an employee without tying back that it was due to them being unvaccinated. Because, and this may shock you, when you fire someone you have to give a reason why you let them go. So if on my reports, I am recorded as a high performer, reach in office on time, on occasion stay behind to meet last minute deadlines, work well with other colleagues then what can you put on my record as a reason to fire me without opening up yourself to litigation for wrongful dismissal (which can extend now into discrimination if my lawyer can prove that those who perform worse than me are still on the job but the only difference between me and them on paper is our vaccination status).

^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: this is just too easy.... you would first start with......................

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 10:26 am

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 12th, 2021, 10:40 am

teems1 wrote:
2WNBoost wrote:Remember there are people who profit from war and conflict.
There is treasure to be found everywhere if you put your mind to it.
It’s just a question of how far will you go.

matr1x wrote:The truly corrupt know how to exploit a disaster
When there's blood in the streets, you buy.

labs that provide pcr test making a killing now that borders open and it will increase even more when employers demand unvaxxed workers submit weekly/bi-weekly pcr tests.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 12th, 2021, 12:22 pm

elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

What is your profession?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 12:32 pm

teems1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

What is your profession?

one where i am part of a union. My occupation, title, etc are irrelevant to the current discussion.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 12th, 2021, 1:00 pm

elec2020 wrote:
teems1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

What is your profession?

one where i am part of a union. My occupation, title, etc are irrelevant to the current discussion.
If you're a work from home graphic designer then forcing you to be vaccinated has no grounds.

If you're a chef making people's food and you being unvaccinated is causing a drop in business then you'll be let go.

So yes it does matter.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 2:15 pm

^ i work in finance. The only jobs i think where vaccination is mandated are those in medicine. To require other jobs to have vaccinated staff goes against the terms of employment and you cannot just change terms of employment as you would be breaking the contract. For example, can a chef who becomes HIV positive suddenly lose there job? No unless it was something stated in the terms of employment. Further, how can you prove that having unvaccinated staff is causing you to lose business as, as an employer, you not supposed to divulge the health status of an employee. With covid not existing like this, the average person does not have in there contract any stipulation about employment being dependent on vaccination status. As such, you can't just let go people.

adnj
punchin NOS

Postby adnj » August 12th, 2021, 2:26 pm

No company is going to bother firing union employees over refusal to vaccinate.

The days of clubbing workers is long gone - it doesn't make good financial sense.

Management where I come from simply looks the other way. The employee is at the same desk, doing the same job receiving the annual cost of living increases and union wage improvements.

When it's time for innovation, create a new business entity and hire new employees.

If it's a unionized bureaucratic position, even simpler. The employees are voters and there's not much of a need for improved efficiency. So, don't bother p!ssing-off the natives.
Last edited by adnj on August 12th, 2021, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timelapse
punchin NOS

Postby timelapse » August 12th, 2021, 2:32 pm

elec2020 wrote:^ i work in finance. The only jobs i think where vaccination is mandated are those in medicine. To require other jobs to have vaccinated staff goes against the terms of employment and you cannot just change terms of employment as you would be breaking the contract. For example, can a chef who becomes HIV positive suddenly lose there job? No unless it was something stated in the terms of employment. Further, how can you prove that having unvaccinated staff is causing you to lose business as, as an employer, you not supposed to divulge the health status of an employee. With covid not existing like this, the average person does not have in there contract any stipulation about employment being dependent on vaccination status. As such, you can't just let go people.
HIV spreads differently but I am certain that you know that

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » August 12th, 2021, 2:32 pm

adnj wrote:No company is going to bother firing union employees over refusal to vaccinate.

The days of clubbing workers is long gone - it doesn't make good financial sense.

Management where I come from simply looks the other way. The employee is at the same desk, doing the same job receiving the annual cost of living increases and union wage improvements.

When it's time for innovation, create a new business entity and hire new employees.
This sound like ah oil company bai...

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » August 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

elec2020 wrote:Image

Talking to oneself is a sign of mental illness.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 3:00 pm

timelapse wrote:
elec2020 wrote:^ i work in finance. The only jobs i think where vaccination is mandated are those in medicine. To require other jobs to have vaccinated staff goes against the terms of employment and you cannot just change terms of employment as you would be breaking the contract. For example, can a chef who becomes HIV positive suddenly lose there job? No unless it was something stated in the terms of employment. Further, how can you prove that having unvaccinated staff is causing you to lose business as, as an employer, you not supposed to divulge the health status of an employee. With covid not existing like this, the average person does not have in there contract any stipulation about employment being dependent on vaccination status. As such, you can't just let go people.

But they share the same principle. That, unless it is written in contract, you cannot let them go if they get it or refuse some new treatment for it. Else you open yourself to litigation for breaching contract. As i said before, I am a part of a union and thus far, I am yet to read of any financial company nor any unionised group of employees getting notification of a mandatory vaccination program (I wonder why lol). Its only the laborers or those on minimum wage they pushing that on and thats because more often than not those workers unfortunately do not know their rights nor have the financial resources to take their employer to court.

adnj
punchin NOS

Postby adnj » August 12th, 2021, 3:52 pm

elec2020 wrote:
timelapse wrote:

But they share the same principle. That, unless it is written in contract, you cannot let them go if they get it or refuse some new treatment for it. Else you open yourself to litigation for breaching contract. As i said before, I am a part of a union and thus far, I am yet to read of any financial company nor any unionised group of employees getting notification of a mandatory vaccination program (I wonder why lol). Its only the laborers or those on minimum wage they pushing that on and thats because more often than not those workers unfortunately do not know their rights nor have the financial resources to take their employer to court.

Compare the right to refusal of Covid vaccination with:

Mandated smallpox vaccination (1900s on)
Mandated Bacille Calmette-Guérin vaccine (BCG) (1940s on)
Mandated non-smoking areas (1970s on)

You will gain a better understanding how governments will likely shield corporations from litigation with public health measures.

I am expecting CDC, ECDC and WHO guidelines that support compulsory vaccination sometime next year.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 4:05 pm

^ noted.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » August 13th, 2021, 10:18 am

Bluegrass is closing their Trincity Mall branch
Attachments
BG.jpeg