this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Random Posts Thread ...

Postby timelapse » February 2nd, 2023, 11:28 am

fokhan_96 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:is it just me or is everybody calling each other "buddy" now

yea buddy

that's it, buddy

here yo go buddy

where did this buddy thing come from who started it
Guyana
Well it still better than 'horse', 'dan', 'dogg', 'padna', 'bredda', 'soldier', 'bigman', 'boy', 'man', 'star'...
Awaits a bottle pelting from tuner Vexxdogg

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » February 2nd, 2023, 12:05 pm

timelapse wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:is it just me or is everybody calling each other "buddy" now

yea buddy

that's it, buddy

here yo go buddy

Guyana
Well it still better than 'horse', 'dan', 'dogg', 'padna', 'bredda', 'soldier', 'bigman', 'boy', 'man', 'star'...

Yeah me Lion bless, ojo ojo

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 2nd, 2023, 3:46 pm

alfa wrote:
timelapse wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:
timelapse wrote:

yea buddy

that's it, buddy

here yo go buddy

Guyana

Yeah me Lion bless, ojo ojo
Mammoo

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 2nd, 2023, 5:03 pm

How allyuh go forget “King”

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 4th, 2023, 7:59 pm

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » February 5th, 2023, 9:50 am

Interesting write up about a local author in the UK Guardian today. Also saw him featured in a Caribbean airlines magazine a couple months ago. Think I might pick up a copy of the book! Anyone read his stuff or even read local authors?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/ ... -wild-west

Kevin Jared Hosein: ‘The 1940s in Trinidad was like the wild west’

Kevin Jared Hosein, 36, is a teacher and writer from Trinidad, where he lives and works. He won the Commonwealth writers’ prize in 2018 for his story Passage and he has written two novels for young adults, The Repenters and The Beast of Kukuyo. His first novel for adults, Hungry Ghosts, is set in 1940s Trinidad and concerns the wife of an overseer who goes missing and the attempts by one of his employees to move up in a highly stratified society. Hilary Mantel called it “a deeply impressive book… and an important one”.

What is a hungry ghost (a preta)?
It originated in ancient Hindu tradition, where if you commit certain sins, [when you die] you transform into a being where your mouth is very small and your appetite is extremely large. So you would have this unending hunger and no way to satiate it. I thought it was a good analogy to explain the character motivations in the book, especially where social mobility is concerned and whatever life you attain; it can never be enough.

Where did the impulse to write the book come from?
My grandfather told me a story from when he was a teenager, about an aristocratic lady, the wife of an overseer, who was coming through the village and she tripped and fell in the mud. Some little boys laughed at her and she threatened to destroy the village. That laughing boy may have been my grandfather, how vividly he recalled it. It was really compelling to me, so I wanted to build a story around that image.

Why did you set it in the 1940s?
It was a time that was like the American wild west, it seemed like nobody was in charge. British colonial rule was loosening and there was a transfer of power, which came with its own problems, like cronyism. The American navy was also here, so you had these two superpowers on the island. It was almost as though Trinidad was starting to be reborn.

Before the Bocas festival, the literary scene in Trinidad was a wasteland
In the book, the poor “barrack”-dwellers, who are Hindu, suffer prejudice from the richer Christian villagers. Have things improved in Trinidad?
We’re quite multicultural; the east Indian population (about half the country) is a mixture of Hindu and Christian, with some Muslims. There has been a lot of integration. There’s still some prejudice. For example, when Hindus die, they cremate [the bodies], but during Covid-19, cremations were stopped. Research [eventually] showed that cremation didn’t really spread the virus, but it was far into the pandemic before they allowed it again. So you had bodies piling up and people unable to complete their funeral customs. I’m not religious, but the household I grew up in was highly observant of Hinduism. The maternal side of my family is Hindu, my paternal side a mix of Presbyterian and Muslim.

What have you got against dogs? They suffer an awful lot in the book.
I own three dogs! I grew up with dogs my whole life and those scenes were really hard to write. I was thinking about how dogs were written in [JM Coetzee’s novel] Disgrace, and the analogy he used with the dogs, how throwaway the lives of animals were. It wasn’t easy to write. It was [originally] worse. But my agent, he loves dogs, and he said: “It can’t be like this, it will turn off too many people.”

When I first heard about the book it was to be called Devotion. Why the change?
Hannah Kent came out with a book called Devotion! Devotion was the title because, in Hindu religion, they don’t say you worship anything, but you devote certain aspects of yourself. But it wasn’t that heartbreaking to lose it.

Why do you think so many Trinidad-linked writers have been finding international success lately? Monique Roffey, Roger Robinson, Ingrid Persaud, Anthony Joseph…
We’re trying to figure it out as well. For me, the internet has given me access that might not have been possible 10 years ago. I also think [Jamaican writer] Marlon James helped us [writers from the Caribbean] when he won the Booker prize and a lot of publishers were looking for a follow-up. Not long after that, Kei Miller sold Augustown for six figures. The Bocas literary festival also helped a lot; I think they started in 2012. Before that the literary scene in Trinidad was a wasteland.

Where and when do you write?
This room, right here, where my wife does her art and the washing machine is on, so I usually have my headphones on. And there’s a window view where I do my long writing, unedited stuff. Sometimes, I just type-type-type, whatever comes to me. I usually do editing in bed before going to sleep. Which is not really ideal, but it’s what I’ve become used to.

Which living writers do you most admire?
The one I read most is Cormac McCarthy. I like Annie Proulx. I like Ian McEwan a lot. There’s a certain darkness in what I like to read.

What was the last really great book you read?
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. I really love how it took an uncommon aspect, video game design, and still made it into a compelling story. I think it’s something quite remarkable.

Who is your favourite literary character?
The one that’s coming to mind is probably not the best example. It’s quite a despicable character really, the judge from Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. A very, very savage character. That’s the one that popped into my head, but it’s so violent.

You attended an event with Trinidad-born Nobel winner VS Naipaul, who, when asked for a writing tip, said not to bother because most stories have been told.
It was a bizarre situation where he came back to Trinidad and nobody knew why because he talked really negatively about the island. He wanted attendees to buy new editions of his books, but I somehow managed to get my old edition [of A House for Mr Biswas] signed. He looked really angry when he realised it wasn’t the new one. I get comments from friends: “Oh, you might be the next VS Naipaul.” And I’m like: “No!”

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 15th, 2023, 6:52 pm

a restaurant where u actually go knowing d staff is deliberately rude, insulting & cussing u as part of their theme ... if was trinidad they wud be telling u to hymc normel

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1421436628391553

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 15th, 2023, 7:04 pm

Nexus wrote:Interesting write up about a local author in the UK Guardian today. Also saw him featured in a Caribbean airlines magazine a couple months ago. Think I might pick up a copy of the book! Anyone read his stuff or even read local authors?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/ ... -wild-west

Kevin Jared Hosein: ‘The 1940s in Trinidad was like the wild west’

Kevin Jared Hosein, 36, is a teacher and writer from Trinidad, where he lives and works. He won the Commonwealth writers’ prize in 2018 for his story Passage and he has written two novels for young adults, The Repenters and The Beast of Kukuyo. His first novel for adults, Hungry Ghosts, is set in 1940s Trinidad and concerns the wife of an overseer who goes missing and the attempts by one of his employees to move up in a highly stratified society. Hilary Mantel called it “a deeply impressive book… and an important one”.

What is a hungry ghost (a preta)?
It originated in ancient Hindu tradition, where if you commit certain sins, [when you die] you transform into a being where your mouth is very small and your appetite is extremely large. So you would have this unending hunger and no way to satiate it. I thought it was a good analogy to explain the character motivations in the book, especially where social mobility is concerned and whatever life you attain; it can never be enough.

Where did the impulse to write the book come from?
My grandfather told me a story from when he was a teenager, about an aristocratic lady, the wife of an overseer, who was coming through the village and she tripped and fell in the mud. Some little boys laughed at her and she threatened to destroy the village. That laughing boy may have been my grandfather, how vividly he recalled it. It was really compelling to me, so I wanted to build a story around that image.

Why did you set it in the 1940s?
It was a time that was like the American wild west, it seemed like nobody was in charge. British colonial rule was loosening and there was a transfer of power, which came with its own problems, like cronyism. The American navy was also here, so you had these two superpowers on the island. It was almost as though Trinidad was starting to be reborn.

Before the Bocas festival, the literary scene in Trinidad was a wasteland
In the book, the poor “barrack”-dwellers, who are Hindu, suffer prejudice from the richer Christian villagers. Have things improved in Trinidad?
We’re quite multicultural; the east Indian population (about half the country) is a mixture of Hindu and Christian, with some Muslims. There has been a lot of integration. There’s still some prejudice. For example, when Hindus die, they cremate [the bodies], but during Covid-19, cremations were stopped. Research [eventually] showed that cremation didn’t really spread the virus, but it was far into the pandemic before they allowed it again. So you had bodies piling up and people unable to complete their funeral customs. I’m not religious, but the household I grew up in was highly observant of Hinduism. The maternal side of my family is Hindu, my paternal side a mix of Presbyterian and Muslim.

What have you got against dogs? They suffer an awful lot in the book.
I own three dogs! I grew up with dogs my whole life and those scenes were really hard to write. I was thinking about how dogs were written in [JM Coetzee’s novel] Disgrace, and the analogy he used with the dogs, how throwaway the lives of animals were. It wasn’t easy to write. It was [originally] worse. But my agent, he loves dogs, and he said: “It can’t be like this, it will turn off too many people.”

When I first heard about the book it was to be called Devotion. Why the change?
Hannah Kent came out with a book called Devotion! Devotion was the title because, in Hindu religion, they don’t say you worship anything, but you devote certain aspects of yourself. But it wasn’t that heartbreaking to lose it.

Why do you think so many Trinidad-linked writers have been finding international success lately? Monique Roffey, Roger Robinson, Ingrid Persaud, Anthony Joseph…
We’re trying to figure it out as well. For me, the internet has given me access that might not have been possible 10 years ago. I also think [Jamaican writer] Marlon James helped us [writers from the Caribbean] when he won the Booker prize and a lot of publishers were looking for a follow-up. Not long after that, Kei Miller sold Augustown for six figures. The Bocas literary festival also helped a lot; I think they started in 2012. Before that the literary scene in Trinidad was a wasteland.

Where and when do you write?
This room, right here, where my wife does her art and the washing machine is on, so I usually have my headphones on. And there’s a window view where I do my long writing, unedited stuff. Sometimes, I just type-type-type, whatever comes to me. I usually do editing in bed before going to sleep. Which is not really ideal, but it’s what I’ve become used to.

Which living writers do you most admire?
The one I read most is Cormac McCarthy. I like Annie Proulx. I like Ian McEwan a lot. There’s a certain darkness in what I like to read.

What was the last really great book you read?
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. I really love how it took an uncommon aspect, video game design, and still made it into a compelling story. I think it’s something quite remarkable.

Who is your favourite literary character?
The one that’s coming to mind is probably not the best example. It’s quite a despicable character really, the judge from Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. A very, very savage character. That’s the one that popped into my head, but it’s so violent.

You attended an event with Trinidad-born Nobel winner VS Naipaul, who, when asked for a writing tip, said not to bother because most stories have been told.
It was a bizarre situation where he came back to Trinidad and nobody knew why because he talked really negatively about the island. He wanted attendees to buy new editions of his books, but I somehow managed to get my old edition [of A House for Mr Biswas] signed. He looked really angry when he realised it wasn’t the new one. I get comments from friends: “Oh, you might be the next VS Naipaul.” And I’m like: “No!”
Was on another forum with Kevin.Real cool guy.Glad to see he's following his passion.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 15th, 2023, 8:09 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 24th, 2023, 10:29 am

c44a489a-5418-4c40-b000-8ab8460bb9ee.jpg

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 24th, 2023, 10:53 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:c44a489a-5418-4c40-b000-8ab8460bb9ee.jpg

it take me a while NGL

I just thought u was bein a creeper posting men car :lol:

Dis is teef ting awa? Or it legit in the LO because they pass some money?

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » February 24th, 2023, 11:13 am

It would be interesting to know what PAC 8638 was back in the day

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 27th, 2023, 9:39 pm

you know I cry a lot when listening to music. Could be in the car, could be at work, you know when something for whatever reason just hits me just right I start crying. Not sad, never sad, not in a sad way, but more like the emotion is overwhelming and it just happens, get choked up and start crying. Country music does it, especially country music from my young adult years.

The other day I was listening to the radio on my morning commute and this song came on. In the car you don't really catch the lyrics, you know you gotta focus on the road and not killing out pedestrians. But the song was upbeat and sounded optimistic, indeed A song about a happy day. And I was happy, and I started crying.

So I googled it, "72 and sunny" and the first link was an advertising agency. Okay, weird, kinda depressing, but kept looking. Apparently this song wasn't a hit anywhere except here on the island. The local radio DJs like playing it.

Then I started to really take in the lyrics, and the song is actually about depression, forcing yourself up to interacting with others while depressed to keep up the values you cherish, and the feeling of disconnection and inability to enjoy anything while depressed. It is farked up but that is shiet I have deep experience with. I went down that rabbit hole really bad before and I sometimes fall down it every now and again and have to pull myself out.

What I'm saying is it is a good song and you should listen to it.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » February 27th, 2023, 10:44 pm

^^To me I always hearing that on 97.1. Good song.

Anyways, coal mine collapse a few days ago in China/Mongolia. Video is crazy! The scale of it made mining trucks look like Micro Machines.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-64730607
:shock:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 28th, 2023, 12:24 pm

97.1 must be d only station who plays 72 n sunny & they play it fairly often, good song in a sea filled with rubbish music

that mine collapse looked rel terrible , if only 4 dead thats "good" for that kinda magnitude but how they said 50 still trapped not to put goat mouth but i expect d death toll to rise ...

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 28th, 2023, 12:50 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:c44a489a-5418-4c40-b000-8ab8460bb9ee.jpg

it take me a while NGL

I just thought u was bein a creeper posting men car

Dis is teef ting awa? Or it legit in the LO because they pass some money?
Most likely a foreign pic and the owner just make a plate of a previous vehicle that meant something to him. Abroad they don't need front license plates. Alot of trinis do that

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 11th, 2023, 11:55 am

he might be a good rassler but his taste = wda

d guys did a good job workmanship wise carrying out his wishes but imo car looked much better b4

shuda jes restomod it instead of ricing it ...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 12th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Rovin wrote:he might be a good rassler but his taste = wda

d guys did a good job workmanship wise carrying out his wishes but imo car looked much better b4

shuda jes restomod it instead of ricing it ...

John Cena izza Raj? :lol:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 12th, 2023, 1:41 pm

That's good wirk,, but in an ugly car.

It was better off left original.

If u know Cena early days, yeah, he rice injun.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 12th, 2023, 2:20 pm

cena is a big tall strong athletic caucasian RAJ :lol: hey if u have d $ u cud do wtf u want with it ent

yea no arguing d quality of work they did

but traditionally u dont take an english classic car, rice it up with japanese inspired bodykit\styling, bright outta place colors from a ford gt, put a american v8 & insist on keeping d old mg gear shift that looks so small & out of place in an modernized interior that has no wood grain in it yet chose to leave d crank window winders, not even a ol school retro looking deck & some hidden speakers self

thats like crossbreeding a few different styles into 1 & imo none of it is meshing together but hey d owner got all what he asked for & is happy like pappy .... 8-)

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 12th, 2023, 5:43 pm

Cross breeding?
Dat car is like putting diamonds and gold on a canal conchs.

All the good lines of that car is the ones the guys put on.

The better platform for that work was a fairlady z.
even a 510
Even an rx2

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 29th, 2023, 11:12 am

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 5th, 2023, 9:39 pm

9cfae84e9d3bc7a8fc23b911b26466cd.jpg

Random and i love a wagon!! Why aren’t we getting more wagons locally instead of fugly minge suvs

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 6th, 2023, 11:08 am

nick639v2 wrote:9cfae84e9d3bc7a8fc23b911b26466cd.jpg

Random and i love a wagon!! Why aren’t we getting more wagons locally instead of fugly minge suvs

Saw a 'DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE MICA' sedan with the drls on the in late evening. it looked so luxury like a jaguar. Idk if the red is better but the red color is def. up there in choice.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 6th, 2023, 12:25 pm

Yup I hear you loud and clear! The first time I saw the sedan I could’ve sworn it was a jag or euro goodness.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » April 6th, 2023, 1:35 pm

Probably one of the sickest wheel. Initial d anyone?
1680802445747.jpg

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » April 7th, 2023, 5:08 am

aaron17 wrote:Probably one of the sickest wheel. Initial d anyone?1680802445747.jpg

Yup I use those on my Prius as my winter wheels. Easy to get at snow if it build up on the inside of the rim. It cause the wheel to go of balance big time.

People up where I live don’t even notice. But when I drive through NYC, Brooklyn and Queens people stare and comments about how they never seen wheels like that on a Prius.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » April 8th, 2023, 8:45 am

These African countries doing well for themselves boi. Rwanda rocking drone deliveries.

fireworks
Street 2NR

Postby fireworks » April 8th, 2023, 10:09 am

9A5BC1C2-2C7A-485C-8FFE-08F8D5AB0D23.jpeg

Anybody named their kid zefram

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 11th, 2023, 7:04 pm

havent heard anything from tv reporter mark basant but hearing him now on tv6

ent he began at tv6 then moved to cnc3 a while ago ? .... didnt know he is now back in action & at tv6

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”