Forums

WTK: Home Air Conditioning advice needed

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

WTK: Home Air Conditioning advice needed

Postby angel_player » March 23rd, 2021, 2:16 pm

So... I'm in the market for a reliable mini-split inverter ac solution.

I measured my room, did my calculations and the result was that I needed at maximum a 9000btu.

However, when I began calling around to local AC contractors... the smallest cooling solution they had was 12000 btu.

Why is it no one seem to have anything smaller than 12000 btu. these days?That seems way too large for my needs.
The room measurement is 12x13ft with a 10ft ceiling

Am I missing something here???

Also what are some reliable AC brands on the market that I can consider for my room?
As we at it.... give me some reliable ac contractors who do neat work.

Thanks for all responses.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: WTK: Home Air Conditioning advice needed

Postby Musical Doc » March 23rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

12000 btu sounds about right for that room. You also have to consider traffic in an out of the room, location etc. If the sun heats up one of the walls of the room then that will be extra load the ac has to deal with

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 23rd, 2021, 6:22 pm

i not a ac technician but based on my own experience i agree ^^^ ....

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 23rd, 2021, 6:31 pm

Average rooms with 10 ft ceilings, some western sun, some foot traffic, etc., at Trinidad's latitude and climate will follow the rule of thumb of 1 ton per 200 sq. ft. or 60 BTU/sq. ft.

9,000 BTU would work. 12,000 BTU may be a better choice because you are at the limit.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 23rd, 2021, 9:39 pm

I is not Rovin friend, but I agree with him agreeing with Musical Doc

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 23rd, 2021, 11:07 pm

& all these yrs i tort we was frens, i feel so hurt & used ... :cry:

8-)

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 24th, 2021, 5:09 am

i put in a lennox recently from steve an associates in curepe on the highway. installers were quick an neat. even walk with cement to patch the hole. no issues with the unit itself.

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

Postby angel_player » March 24th, 2021, 3:29 pm

adnj wrote:Average rooms with 10 ft ceilings, some western sun, some foot traffic, etc., at Trinidad's latitude and climate will follow the rule of thumb of 1 ton per 200 sq. ft. or 60 BTU/sq. ft.

9,000 BTU would work. 12,000 BTU may be a better choice because you are at the limit.

Thank you all for your responses so far.

Adnj the thing is, I currently have a 13000btu unit in a similar sized room facing the sun in the evening.
What ends up happening is the temperature reaches its set point (say 24C), the compressor then shuts off, but the room still has a lot of humidity in it. (yes I measure the humidity with a small hygrometer). The compressor then has to cycle on and off a couple more times before the humidity drips to a comfortable level.

When I looked online to see the cause of this, I saw it is possible that I may have an ac with too much capacity - so the unit cooling the room faster than it could remove the humidity. That's why I resorted to using various online ac btu calculators and they all mostly gave a capacity closer to 9000btu.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » March 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm

i doh pretend to know about air condition technology, but isn't the whole point of an inverter type unit is to prevent the cycling on/off of the compressor? The AC would just work continuously to maintain temperature and humidity.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 24th, 2021, 6:42 pm

angel_player wrote:
adnj wrote:Average rooms with 10 ft ceilings, some western sun, some foot traffic, etc., at Trinidad's latitude and climate will follow the rule of thumb of 1 ton per 200 sq. ft. or 60 BTU/sq. ft.

Thank you all for your responses so far.

Adnj the thing is, I currently have a 13000btu unit in a similar sized room facing the sun in the evening.
What ends up happening is the temperature reaches its set point (say 24C), the compressor then shuts off, but the room still has a lot of humidity in it. (yes I measure the humidity with a small hygrometer). The compressor then has to cycle on and off a couple more times before the humidity drips to a comfortable level.

When I looked online to see the cause of this, I saw it is possible that I may have an ac with too much capacity - so the unit cooling the room faster than it could remove the humidity. That's why I resorted to using various online ac btu calculators and they all mostly gave a capacity closer to 9000btu.

12k is common; 13k is more than is required. If the problem always existed, or the cycling is a short, you're probably correct. If it developed over time, maintenance or air infiltratration could be the cause.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 24th, 2021, 7:32 pm

I'm surprised nervewrecker hasn't bounced in this chat as yet.

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

Postby angel_player » March 25th, 2021, 9:44 am

paid_influencer wrote:i doh pretend to know about air condition technology, but isn't the whole point of an inverter type unit is to prevent the cycling on/off of the compressor? The AC would just work continuously to maintain temperature and humidity.

paid influencer, you are correct about how the inverter type system works. However, my current 13000btu unit is not inverter that's why it cycles on and off.

adnj wrote:If it developed over time, maintenance or air infiltratration could be the cause.

The fan capacitor on the compressor was replaced recently. Maybe the compressor fan still is not spinning as fast as it needs to? Can the fan motor be serviced/replaced?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 25th, 2021, 10:14 am

I is use Lennox

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » March 25th, 2021, 11:35 am

OP go with the 12K. By calculation you may be right with your 9K unit requirement but as others have mentioned already, you didn't factor in many variables.

My 12K inverter LG unit kicked the bucket just before the first lockdown last year and when restrictions were lifted got it replaced with a 12K inverter Carrier (really wanted either a Lennox or Daikin but neither was available at the time). Cost 5K for the unit + installation. It wukkin rell good though. Never once had to go below 26° and dat an all does feel like fridge sometimes.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 25th, 2021, 6:39 pm

All the answers he needs is in the ac thread.

Older odd sized units would have been toshiba and the likes.

There is the possibility his compressor seals are worn, unit not properly serviced, fan bearing failing or fan motor failing or fan capacitor failing.

Disregard all the online calculators you see. Use 12x12 for every 12000 btu. Eastern side or downstairs, downsize by about 1/3.
West side or upstairs where sun blazing, upside by 1/3.

But not all units are equal. Then there is location and ambients to factor in.

Inverter types are discussed in detail in the thread and on my page.

I was seriously reconsidering my trade with stress from old illiterate backward idiots I call parents under pressure to "find a job". And had a small surgery done recently.

Is customers and companies that refusing to let me quit. Was even considering just leaving and selling off everything as the opportunity presented itself. The change will be hard and tedious but might have better peace of mind in another country.
carluva wrote:I'm surprised nervewrecker hasn't bounced in this chat as yet.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2021, 7:27 pm

you in the service industry bro, and guys like you likely not need to be paying rent to have a place to operate from
rather you work on the road.

in these times low overhead tradesmen like you have a significant advantage to earn an income over anybody else

nervewrecker wrote:All the answers he needs is in the ac thread.

Older odd sized units would have been toshiba and the likes.

There is the possibility his compressor seals are worn, unit not properly serviced, fan bearing failing or fan motor failing or fan capacitor failing.

Disregard all the online calculators you see. Use 12x12 for every 12000 btu. Eastern side or downstairs, downsize by about 1/3.
West side or upstairs where sun blazing, upside by 1/3.

But not all units are equal. Then there is location and ambients to factor in.

Inverter types are discussed in detail in the thread and on my page.

I was seriously reconsidering my trade with stress from old illiterate backward idiots I call parents under pressure to "find a job". And had a small surgery done recently.

Is customers and companies that refusing to let me quit. Was even considering just leaving and selling off everything as the opportunity presented itself. The change will be hard and tedious but might have better peace of mind in another country.
carluva wrote:I'm surprised nervewrecker hasn't bounced in this chat as yet.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 26th, 2021, 9:25 pm

To answer his question however, I'd go with the delta lotus inverter.
Lotus, gree manufacturered. Not titan.

I avoiding the Midea built units right now because fans keep falling off. One dealer as me to provide a reciept or proof of purchase to honor a warranty claim. Fan wobbling since it buy. Months now I haggling with them. They are the dealer for that brand, it's thier brand, it's their name, where else they feel I buy it? Manager who can't spell air conditioner silent on the matter. I had to make noise to get it sort out and this was a unit sold to my biggest client.

I have noticed serious cost cuts in some other brands. It just not making sense to sell. Management silent on the matter again.

Can't recommend anyone, I won't recommend anyone as a matter of fact because some men don't care of is not their work. I fed up get jam with men helping out and it cost me more in damage control and unsatisfied clients.

What to stay away from. If it eh manufacturer it don't exist right?

And yes, there is serious money to be made and a lot of opportunities out here but nagging is a hell of a thing. See if I don't get vex and just ride out one day. Indian people again.....well red woman nah.
IMG_20210326_181736.jpeg

@lex
Street 2NR

Postby @lex » March 30th, 2021, 10:49 am

If you insisting on the 9000btu, check Reliable HVAC Services Limited, they are on facebk and have non inverters in that range.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 2nd, 2021, 12:12 am

Gerad, 625 5555, number for Cecair or Reliable. la romaine as you come off massy roundbout and take a left by the first traffic light. The place is a bit before Adon and located on the right side if coming from the roundabout route. Will see some refrigerant tanks on the sign outside.

bamfo_dennis
Sweet on this forum

Postby bamfo_dennis » October 10th, 2021, 8:31 pm

goodnight peeps where can i buy AC coil foam cleaner? the one in the spray can. anybody ever see it local?

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » October 11th, 2021, 10:51 am

I think I saw at maraj in aranguez. Was considering it for my car at a point in time.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » October 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm

can any ac men on this topic tell me what size ac i need for a room 62'x11'. entire living room kitchen area, so would i need an extractor fan for the stove?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 13th, 2021, 12:43 pm

nervewrecker wud be d man to ask but i not seeing on here or fb these days , hope he good

jes to give an idea my store is 50x10 [500sqft] & i have a 3 ton split which works good enough for my needs

62 is quite long though , if i had to give a good non professional guess id say ac men gonna tell u a 5 ton or 2 smaller 2ton 1 for each end ...

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 18th, 2022, 2:24 pm

I have a Lennox 18000BTU inverter unit and every so often the unit blows hot and shows an error code "H5" or "HS" (not sure based on how the digital readout shows characters).

I have to cut all power to the unit for about five minutes and then switch it back on and then it functions normally. This problem occurs at least once a week.

Can anyone shed light on what could be the problem before I call in a technician to look at it?

Thanks.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 18th, 2022, 2:32 pm

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 18th, 2022, 4:25 pm

I forgot to mention that I already checked the manual that I have for the unit and that document had the same error codes that the document in the link that maj. tom posted above had.

There was no H5 error code in either document, hence my query.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » October 18th, 2022, 5:04 pm

I hope you get a solution Rory. I've just yesterday made arrangements for a 18k BTU Lennox inverter to be installed/replace an 11y.o. Peake unit.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 17th, 2023, 3:22 pm

Any local reviews on the tcl inverter units courts selling?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 17th, 2023, 3:40 pm

Everything my inlaws ever bought from that fine establishment was sheit, so I'd avoid it.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 17th, 2023, 3:43 pm

lol I'd say for AC to stick with a reputable installer company who can give you service and guarantee on the spot.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”