Re: Lockdown Home Garden thread. Post your homegrown plants here

Postby Chimera » June 2nd, 2021, 8:39 am

Pommerac iymc
20210602_072250.jpeg

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 2nd, 2021, 10:05 am

Allyuh fellas doing real good.Imo we should have been doing this all along.My seasoning bill cut, lettuce and tomatoes soon to be cut.I learned quite a lot of stuff since I started, and I planting since I small,never too old to learn new things.
Hugelkultur, composting, permaculture.Those are things I never really took on.Was just plant and leggo manure and blaukorn.The taste difference between homegrown organic and fertilizer stuff is very noticeable.Right now on my priority list is building a good soil , so no major crops as yet.The backfill I have is not good for anything other than grass as yet.This is a 5 year plan.Hopefully I am around to contribute to this thread as progress happens.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 2nd, 2021, 11:21 am

timelapse wrote:Allyuh fellas doing real good.Imo we should have been doing this all along.My seasoning bill cut, lettuce and tomatoes soon to be cut.I learned quite a lot of stuff since I started, and I planting since I small,never too old to learn new things.
Hugelkultur, composting, permaculture.Those are things I never really took on.Was just plant and leggo manure and blaukorn.The taste difference between homegrown organic and fertilizer stuff is very noticeable.Right now on my priority list is building a good soil , so no major crops as yet.The backfill I have is not good for anything other than grass as yet.This is a 5 year plan.Hopefully I am around to contribute to this thread as progress happens.

This is a good group to join as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1630983 ... 6142203512

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm

Thanks^

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 2nd, 2021, 2:56 pm

timelapse wrote:Allyuh fellas doing real good.Imo we should have been doing this all along.My seasoning bill cut, lettuce and tomatoes soon to be cut.I learned quite a lot of stuff since I started, and I planting since I small,never too old to learn new things.

Since I've owned my property, every time I cut grass and cut down banana trees, I've piled it in a compost heap. It's amazing how rich it is at the bottom. Ever so often I dig it up and mix it in with sections of my yard
Current back-yard grow bed is basically a section blocked off with foundation bricks, and filled with a mix of soil and that compost. Nothing fancy but last 4 tomato trees gave me more than enough. Right now I just set some more tomato and sweet pepper seedlings. Next to germinate are some corn and cucumbers.
In between I always have pineapples (zero maintenance). The lime tree refuses to bear even though it's going on three years old and is growing nicely. Hoping my pomegranate does better. Growling nicely so far, as are the banana and plantain

I have a grow box to put in the front porch for lettuce and cabbage. The whole porch is screened off so no worries about pests or pesticides

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 2nd, 2021, 5:18 pm

MG Man wrote:

Since I've owned my property, every time I cut grass and cut down banana trees, I've piled it in a compost heap. It's amazing how rich it is at the bottom. Ever so often I dig it up and mix it in with sections of my yard
Current back-yard grow bed is basically a section blocked off with foundation bricks, and filled with a mix of soil and that compost. Nothing fancy but last 4 tomato trees gave me more than enough. Right now I just set some more tomato and sweet pepper seedlings. Next to germinate are some corn and cucumbers.
In between I always have pineapples (zero maintenance). The lime tree refuses to bear even though it's going on three years old and is growing nicely. Hoping my pomegranate does better. Growling nicely so far, as are the banana and plantain

I have a grow box to put in the front porch for lettuce and cabbage. The whole porch is screened off so no worries about pests or pesticides

Like we buy from the same batch :lol:
I also have a zaboca that playing de arse. I feel I going and use my late mom's technique and cuss 'way he tail!

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 2nd, 2021, 6:38 pm

If is central allyuh fellas in, especially near chase village , carlsen field etc, the zaboca and citrus will ketch their tail,once it hit the layer of water about 8-10 feet below the surface of the ground.That is because of the layer of clay around that depth.It rots the roots and severely hinders fruit production.My dad has been trying for nearly 20 years to get zaboca to bear here.Unless you can plant it raised, I wish you luck.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 2nd, 2021, 9:12 pm

nah is not water table. When I bought the land, it had two flourishing mandarine trees and one zabooka that was always laden
When the house went up, the shade killed the mandarines
The lime is the variety that bears HUGE limes. Two years ago, I trimmed it down and it bore one single lime
I trimmed it again last week so let's see
The tree itself looks healthy, it just not givin mih any chirren...kinda like max

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 3rd, 2021, 6:59 pm

Compost heap update.

Day 14: Thursday June 3, 2021.

The heap has shrunk, obviously due to the decomposition. Still decomposing well and earthy smell remains. Kitchen scraps are thrown in every few days. Gonna cut grass again next week, hopefully. I'll add the fresh material to the pile.
IMG_20210603_175113805.jpeg
IMG_20210603_175121160.jpeg
IMG_20210603_175224992.jpeg
IMG_20210603_175228541.jpeg

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 3rd, 2021, 7:05 pm

What allyuh plant today?
Uwi farms closed for the longest while so all my plans to plant about 100 trees collapse.

I put down 10 Portugal, 10 orange, 8 rambutan, 2 plum sticks, some cucumber seeds and pumpkin.

And some ficus, marigold, bougainvillea, bleeding heart, in pots to transplant later down

Only pic I take is the shelter for the rambutan

They can't take direct sunlight until mature.

20210603_181551.jpeg

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 3rd, 2021, 7:54 pm

MG Man wrote:nah is not water table. When I bought the land, it had two flourishing mandarine trees and one zabooka that was always laden
The lime is the variety that bears HUGE limes. Two years ago, I trimmed it down and it bore one single lime
The tree itself looks healthy, it just not givin mih any chirren...kinda like max

Lime is a funny kind of tree. Once you interfere with it, it gets very moody.

You can talk to it nicely or do the tried and true: pull out a 3-canal and threaten it.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » June 3rd, 2021, 7:56 pm

Damn. I didn't know that about the rambutan, I plant 2 today. Did breadfruit, avocado, rollinia, sugar apple, rose and spice mango as well. Having trouble with citrus. All grow out a little after transplanting then eventually dry up. Have a navel orange and West Indian lime that I studying to just plant in big pots.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 3rd, 2021, 8:51 pm

i realize i may have planted the rambutan a bit too close

probably 30 feet apart

smalls, will see what goes on
btw one day of hot sun and i find the leaves does completely dry and wilt on young plants

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 3rd, 2021, 10:02 pm

I set 7 dragon fruit today. 4 red and 3 yellow.

We have a red one that growing so i trimmed a few off to set. They were left in the large put to catch. They've rooted so I have them set in some smaller pots.

Someone gave me a yellow clump. I split it into three and set each of them. Hopefully they will catch.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 4th, 2021, 5:10 am

I call one of those dragon fruit places to buy plants last week.
He was explaining he have premium cuttings for $150 that will.grow and bear fruit in 2 years
And he have random cuttings for $25 that might take 7 years to grow and bear. And that's what most plant shops does be selling for $50 or $75
I didn't bother to go buy because I hadda look into it more.
carluva wrote:I set 7 dragon fruit today. 4 red and 3 yellow.

We have a red one that growing so i trimmed a few off to set. They were left in the large put to catch. They've rooted so I have them set in some smaller pots.

Someone gave me a yellow clump. I split it into three and set each of them. Hopefully they will catch.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 4th, 2021, 7:46 am

dont understand the hype with dragon fruit
fruit ain’t all that and it just a cactus looking plant

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 4th, 2021, 7:47 am

the mandarin trees producing or dead?

MG Man wrote:nah is not water table. When I bought the land, it had two flourishing mandarine trees and one zabooka that was always laden

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 4th, 2021, 7:56 am

It looks cool though. I never ate it
One of those fruit is $60 apparently.

pugboy wrote:dont understand the hype with dragon fruit

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 4th, 2021, 8:08 am

slimey firm with not much taste

Phone Surgeon wrote:It looks cool though. I never ate it

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 4th, 2021, 8:39 am

Nah man. Dragon Fruit tastes sweet. I had it once and quite liked it.
pugboy wrote:slimey firm with not much taste

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 4th, 2021, 8:48 am

Truth be told, someone gave me the plants in Dec 2019. They red stayed in its little pot for about 7 months and then was transplanted into a large pot. It wasn't really growing nor was it dying. A few months ago, we noticed some growth and i cut off a few pieces to encourage the growth of the rest of the plant.

The cuttings were simply stuck in the potting mix in the same pot. They stayed so for about a month until I pulled out one and saw that it had roots. That's why I decided to plant.

The yellow one stayed in its little pot for about 18 months and didn't die. I finally split it apart into three and transplanted each cutting.

I do not know whether this is a premium or normal. However, I have researched online and many articles indicate that the plant grows fast and can bear in as little as one year under good conditions.

Once they have taken hold, I'll drop one for you and you can try your luck.

I also read that the dragon fruit plant flowers only at night. And the flowers last for a short while. It only blooms for a few hours. Because there are not many pollinators at night, one usually has to hand pollinate. I guess that's why it's so expensive.

Does seem like much hype for a fruit but no biggie. It's a plant and I like plants.

Phone Surgeon wrote:I call one of those dragon fruit places to buy plants last week.
He was explaining he have premium cuttings for $150 that will.grow and bear fruit in 2 years
And he have random cuttings for $25 that might take 7 years to grow and bear. And that's what most plant shops does be selling for $50 or $75
I didn't bother to go buy because I hadda look into it more.
carluva wrote:I set 7 dragon fruit today. 4 red and 3 yellow.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 4th, 2021, 1:12 pm

pugboy wrote:slimey firm with not much taste

That's how I remember it as well the one time I had it. Apparently there are some different varieties, some sweeter than others. That price sounds about right as well.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 4th, 2021, 2:04 pm

it’s a lot of hype on them dragon fruit
i’ll take a julie mango any day over that

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 4th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Talk all the badman fruit talk that you want.
When green plum in season, every man stay quiet.Lol

This is what nitrogen poisoning looks like
IMG_20210603_123711.jpeg

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 4th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Half ripe julie mango and green plum - sums up my interest in fruits, lol

timelapse stop pissing in d plant nuh...jk :lol:

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 4th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Is a blasted lizard!!!!I go chap up he mc

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 4th, 2021, 3:06 pm

Are you my long lost brother?

Soul Collector wrote:Half ripe julie mango and green plum - sums up my interest in fruits, lol

timelapse stop pissing in d plant nuh...jk

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 4th, 2021, 3:39 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Are you my long lost brother?
Soul Collector wrote:Half ripe julie mango and green plum - sums up my interest in fruits, lol

timelapse stop pissing in d plant nuh...jk

Brotha from anotha motha yes :lol: Anytime I tell people this, its met with a "omggg you can't be serious"

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 4th, 2021, 4:47 pm

I hadda be the odd brother that prefer long mango and green plum.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 4th, 2021, 7:02 pm

pugboy wrote:the mandarin trees producing or dead?

dead
once the house went up, they began to deteriorate. That was a few years back

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”