i’ve had 3 of them
1-121 and 2-141
put plenty miles on them and no suspension issues

wtf wrote:Fielder

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: Advice on buying first vehicle.

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 4th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Ae110, 101 parts get higher than usual in some places. Some parts kinda difficult to find as well

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 4th, 2021, 12:49 pm

SpiritDiveYuno, a few questions/comments.

1. What is your budget for a vehicle?

2. What is your need for a vehicle at this point in your life given your current age and/or work or school requirement?

3. Is a vehicle purchase absolutely necessary at this point in your life given factors outside if your control such as the current state of the economy, COVID-19, ongoing restrictions and your current financial position?

4. Do you have access to another vehicle in the household that can be used when needed?

5. Is a vehicle absolutely necessary or can your finances be put to something more beneficial to you in the long run such as a DP on a piece of property?

If you don't need a vehicle but rather, you want a vehicle, then I would suggest you do not invest your money into your "wants" and instead, put the money towards your "needs". Many forums and tuners here all say the same thing, a vehicle is a depreciating asset and truly a money pit if you invest in the wrong one from the onset. You're actually better off leaving your money in a back account which gives 0.1% interest each month as opposed to buying a used and cheap vehicle.

Also bear in mind that because of your age, insurance premiums will be high as insurance premiums only become cheaper when you cross 25 years old. So compared to the average joe who is > 25 years old and who has had an impeccable driving record with full no claim and other discounts on his fully comprehensive insurance, you will probably pay 50%-100% more on a similar package. In other words, at your age, you are a liability to an insurance provider and this will be reflected in whatever premium you pay regardless of whether it is fully comprehensive or third party (with Fire and Theft).

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » May 4th, 2021, 7:43 pm

Get le Nissan for a first vehicle. Many would say a Toyota but for a first vehicle you would be happier with a Nissan. I'm a youth too I know what I telling you. You would want to change fogs, put new bumpers, led strip in headlights, airbag suspension, visors, chrome trims, put some hard pong etc. Nissans very easy to modify + they are durable vehicles.

Before 2010 getting a civic or accord as a first vehicle was a flick but not now.

SpiritDiveYuno
Riding on 13's

Postby SpiritDiveYuno » May 4th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Monk BANzai wrote:Me'em going to tell you what car to buy...have level Ego/Bantons in here to help with that....But whichever way you go, invest from now and buy tools. Purchasing the tools yourself (and a Hayne's or Chilton manual online), is a solid investment and requires upfront capital (yes yes less money for the Smallies n dem) But you save money in the long run vs having someone else doing it.

Get Jack stand\posts, basic wrench socket set, rags, buckets for fluids, etc, etc. Teach yourself some basic car maintenance.

Man like PRS is a good place to get dem ting at decent prices. Sells lots of good packages.
https://www.instagram.com/prsperformance/

Enjoy car ownership... When choosing a car carry a mechanic and possibly an older/more experienced driver to view with you. Strength in numbers. A seller seeing a crew of ppl to come view a vehicle forces that person to be brutally honest. Do a proper bumper to bumper so you know for the most part what you buying into. And the usual searches to ensure no loans on said vehicle.

If possible, buy a car within the family. That way you know the history of it and ofc you get a better price. If it becomes a hassle to you too early ...then you chose the wrong platform and pelt it far.

I have spoken.

Thanks for the great advice my guy, I will definitely take heed and make use of it :D

SpiritDiveYuno
Riding on 13's

Postby SpiritDiveYuno » May 4th, 2021, 9:15 pm

carluva wrote:SpiritDiveYuno, a few questions/comments.

1. What is your budget for a vehicle?

2. What is your need for a vehicle at this point in your life given your current age and/or work or school requirement?

3. Is a vehicle purchase absolutely necessary at this point in your life given factors outside if your control such as the current state of the economy, COVID-19, ongoing restrictions and your current financial position?

4. Do you have access to another vehicle in the household that can be used when needed?

5. Is a vehicle absolutely necessary or can your finances be put to something more beneficial to you in the long run such as a DP on a piece of property?

If you don't need a vehicle but rather, you want a vehicle, then I would suggest you do not invest your money into your "wants" and instead, put the money towards your "needs". Many forums and tuners here all say the same thing, a vehicle is a depreciating asset and truly a money pit if you invest in the wrong one from the onset. You're actually better off leaving your money in a back account which gives 0.1% interest each month as opposed to buying a used and cheap vehicle.

Also bear in mind that because of your age, insurance premiums will be high as insurance premiums only become cheaper when you cross 25 years old. So compared to the average joe who is > 25 years old and who has had an impeccable driving record with full no claim and other discounts on his fully comprehensive insurance, you will probably pay 50%-100% more on a similar package. In other words, at your age, you are a liability to an insurance provider and this will be reflected in whatever premium you pay regardless of whether it is fully comprehensive or third party (with Fire and Theft).

Hi, thanks very much for the thought provoking response. Here are the answers to your questions:

1 & 2) The answers to your first two questions are now on the original post.

3) I'm not planning on buying the car at this exact moment. The act of me purchasing a vehicle probably won't happen until next year as I'm still in the money saving process.

4) I do, however it is not very reliable and I personally do not feel comfortable in it (For safety reasons, nothing too serious though).

5) I believe that a vehicle can be very helpful for me to get around as I'm currently a part-time student in University that works during the day. With regards to the DP on a piece of a property, I was waiting until I finished school and started working right after to begin doing something like that.

Your response has me doubling back and contemplating whether this is truly a need or want now lol. Some deep pondering is definitely required. Thanks again for the great response btw.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 4th, 2021, 9:24 pm

OP hadda come back & state a budget otherwise we all jes wasting time here naming all kind of cars ...

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 4th, 2021, 9:35 pm

He/She did. The original post was edited accordingly.
Rovin wrote:OP hadda come back & state a budget otherwise we all jes wasting time here naming all kind of cars ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 4th, 2021, 10:01 pm

ok my bad , OP prolly edited while i was reading thru d thread

with a 20-25k budget u looking at something like a almera or bj mazda ...

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » May 4th, 2021, 10:40 pm

Toyota-NZE 121/AE101

Honda-Civic EK3

Nissan-Y11/Y12/B14/Tiida

All are within your budget and cheaper in some cases.Cheaper vehicles might need more work so you hadda take that into consideration.

Buy something that you can get foreign used parts for if the need arises.

Don't take advice from people who say Honda and Toyota are expensive because they usually drive a Nissan and comfortable with changing engine/transmission/subframe bushings on a weekly basis.Those vehicles are more expensive because the parts are durable and last longer.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » May 5th, 2021, 6:30 am

pugboy wrote:them suzuki engine dont last at all compared to nissan/toyota
also the company does not give any info on parts easily
they want to keep you locked into buying from them

stay far from any mfg whose dealer operates like that

suzuki jimny and 1.3 carry (bread van) around since the 80's and 40 years after still going strong. grand vitara all over over 20-30 years now. all made in china so is just how you take care of your vehicle.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 5th, 2021, 6:55 am

also look at the availability of certain items which do wear
like aircon compressors

for example newer toyotas use compressors with electronic gas solenoid which is notorious for going bad.
the fix is to simply replace it with an older 121 compressor which lasts forever.

supercharged turbo wrote:Toyota-NZE 121/AE101

Honda-Civic EK3

Nissan-Y11/Y12/B14/Tiida

All are within your budget and cheaper in some cases.Cheaper vehicles might need more work so you hadda take that into consideration.

Buy something that you can get foreign used parts for if the need arises.

Don't take advice from people who say Honda and Toyota are expensive because they usually drive a Nissan and comfortable with changing engine/transmission/subframe bushings on a weekly basis.Those vehicles are more expensive because the parts are durable and last longer.

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » May 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Op you were brought here for a reason, whatever your decision is, just make sure its Manual and Turbo!!!
You can thank me later on in life, it's why were all here!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”