Forums

23, Finished UWI, no work

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

wholewheatb
Riding on 13's

Postby wholewheatb » September 14th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Did my Majors in Natural Sciences and Agriculture at UWI graduated in 2020 September. I spend this whole year applying for work and nothing. I don't know what to do, I wondering if to just keep applying until I see a police vacancy or something. I grateful I have my parents to take care of me right now, but I want to work I fed up.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: 23 Finished UWI no wok

Postby nick639v2 » September 14th, 2021, 9:56 pm

You fresh to the unemployment game... I did petro engineering in university 4 years ago, so you know my pain... But my dad and I run our own company by ourselves and thankfully it's getting us through.

My advice, just do something, apply to any and everything, mentally it fks with you being unemployed. Swallow any pride you may have, start the hustle and grind early and prioritize your mental health.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » September 14th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Hang in there, maybe look at developing some skill/trade that can make you self-employed. I put an ad out for an office clerk 2 weeks ago and got applicants with Masters degrees so the market is tough

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » September 14th, 2021, 10:05 pm

That's a very interesting field however demand for it is low coupled with little to no work experience puts you at a great disadvantage....try to apply for ojt they are currently placing persons
wholewheatb wrote:Did my Majors in Natural Sciences and Agriculture at UWI graduated in 2020 September. I spend this whole year applying for work and nothing. I don't know what to do, I wondering if to just keep applying until I see a police vacancy or something. I grateful I have my parents to take care of me right now, but I want to work I fed up.

axe
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby axe » September 14th, 2021, 10:21 pm

I remember graduating on scholarship and not getting a job. T and T Mirror did an article on my plight....had to swallow pride and do odds and ends type of work to survive...just motivate yourself by saying "this too will end"...worked for me

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 14th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Do whatever job you can find. Right now your resume blank and any experience is good experience.

I graduated with an engineering degree and my first job was working for $2300 a month setting up tables and chairs for events. Manual labour.

In 8 months that same company moved me into management. You never know what opportunities you may get.

Another strategy, if finances permit, is to approach a company and ask them to work a 3 months for free to get some experience. Look at it as an investment. At the end of 3 months you would have some experience to carry forward. Or maybe the company might be able to fit you in somewhere, somebody might resign or retire and a vacancy might come up.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 14th, 2021, 10:43 pm

OJT can pay your bills and give you decent learning experience for a 2 year buffer while you continue your search.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 14th, 2021, 10:55 pm

In order for there to be work, a country needs to produce something. This country produces very little so therefore work will always be very hard to come by.

You are still young and the world is your oyster. Don't just make yourself employable here in TT but figure out what you can do to make yourself employable globally.

The fields of data science, programming etc are constantly recruiting in the developed world. Learn those skills and you will never neeed to work for a TT company again. Also look into starting your own business. The country has very little to offer in terms of work.

Also what sec school you went and what is your degree classification if I may ask?

wholewheatb
Riding on 13's

Postby wholewheatb » September 14th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Redress10 wrote:In order for their to be work, a country needs to produce something. This country produces very little so therefore work will always be very hard to come by.

You are still young and the world is your oyster. Don't just make yourself employable here in TT but figure out what you can do to make yourself employable globally.

The fields of data science, programming etc are constantly recruiting in the developed world. Learn those skills and you will never neeed to work for a TT company again. Also look into starting your own business. The country has very little to offer in terms of work.

Also what sec school you went and what is your degree classification if I may ask?

Upper Second Class honors, St. Stephen's College (Princes Town) @Redress10. Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 14th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Upper second class is good. Just trying to show ppl that after all the beat up with SEA and passing for a prestigious school etc at the end of it all it could amount to nothing. Just goes to show that the education system is simply churning out ppl with no clear purpose or function in society.

If I were you, I would take any small work that isn't strenous to your health etc and continue studying towards qualifications that are in demand in first world countries. These courses can be done online for free or at little costs. I would hold off on any masters etc especially from Uwi right now.

Also don't be afraid to join police, fire, coast guard etc. It's the stability in salary that is important for you at this point.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Re: 23, Finished UWI, no work

Postby FrankChag » September 15th, 2021, 1:29 am

Pivot.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » September 15th, 2021, 2:23 am

As others have said, prioritize your mental health, especially in these times. Take what you can get or start up some kind of hustle until better comes along. Just having an avenue to keep your mind active and engaged is not something to be overlooked. If leaving T&T was never in the cards, you may want to give that some thought.

I wholeheartedly wish you the best of luck.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » September 15th, 2021, 7:01 am

As Frank Chag said ..pivot.

You need experience and you have entered the work market at a tough time
Pivot into something that would be synergetic with your quals ...IT or whatever.

Keep working on getting better...and breathe.
You have time and we all go through tough times.

Learn and adapt

You will get through it.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » September 15th, 2021, 7:28 am

This is why my sibling left Trinidad.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » September 15th, 2021, 8:20 am

About 13 years ago I made a similar post right here, so you're not new and alone in this.

Natural Sciences and Agriculture is the faculty, isn't? So what exactly is your degree / majors in? I think that would help us assist you better. If you prefer not to say, off the top is teaching. Many Nat Sci grads take up teaching even though it's not their dream job.

Other than that, the advice given before, OJT. I started with that and it got the ball rolling for me.

Apply to "lower end" jobs too, just to get through with something and gain experience. Don't decline any job offers you get thinking it is beyond you.

Also, doing a Masters is good, once you can afford it. But in the end it'll be the same situation you'll be facing afterwards if you're not migrating imho.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 15th, 2021, 8:50 am

What he said.Experience matters.You could also try insurance for the time.Join a NGO like lions .Doors will open for you

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » September 15th, 2021, 9:47 am

You have access to land?

Start a small scale operation to show potential employers what you're capable of. Everyone has a degree these days, few have a track record.

Market yourself and become big on social media.

Push the importance of agriculture in trinidad, there is going to be a food shortage soon, we need more soldiers like you.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » September 15th, 2021, 12:49 pm

x2 ojt for it, they try an put you in a place where u can gain experience with respect to the your field of study
VexXx Dogg wrote:OJT can pay your bills and give you decent learning experience for a 2 year buffer while you continue your search.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 15th, 2021, 12:54 pm

See if the new berry farm is looking for people

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 15th, 2021, 1:02 pm

De Dragon wrote:See if the new berry farm is looking for people

He will need to move to Tobago!!

/CS/ When I left school in 2003 I didn't get a job through sending out resumes until 2006. Up to that time all the jobs I had were obtained in family run businesses but at some really sad pay packets as well as a stint in OJT at the 6 month limit they allowed back then.

That allowed me the chance to get a solid three years of assorted experience mostly in construction/project management. Not what I am doing today but its all a part of the path to growth.

I can imagine in this current job market things would be more competitive as I left university in the pre-GATE days and the economy was much more buoyant than it is today. /CS/

tarzan
Sweet on this forum

Postby tarzan » September 15th, 2021, 2:10 pm

many years ago went through the same thing,
dont do your Masters just as yet,
get an entry level job,
gain experience,
start to earn income,
and everything will fall into place,

when i finished my BSc over ten years ago my first job was in an auto parts shop selling over the counter, then i started at the RBC entry level , here i am now not the same company but at a mgr level , now about to start my MBA , OJT is a great option might want to hook up with a recruitment firms as well .

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 15th, 2021, 2:18 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:OJT can pay your bills and give you decent learning experience for a 2 year buffer while you continue your search.

This!
We have an OJT at my office with an honours degree in Stats or some sht so
But the kid works hard and displays an excellent work ethic, and they'll probably keep her on in a permanent role

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 15th, 2021, 2:24 pm

MG Man wrote:

This!
But the kid works hard and displays an excellent work ethic, and they'll probably keep her on in a permanent role

Eet fat?

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » September 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm

De Dragon wrote:
MG Man wrote:

This!

Eet fat?

Not as fat as yours

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 15th, 2021, 3:16 pm

randolphinshan wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
MG Man wrote:

This!

Eet fat?

Not as fat as yours

That's what she said :wink:
JUHN Scarfy comment on your fatness ever?

Anyhow to answer the youthman, I did apprentice, then temporary, then entry level all straight out of technical school. You hadda hold strain sometimes until your opportunity comes along.
PCS Farm?
Namdevco?
Ministry of Agriculture?

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » September 15th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Also there is a demand for Private tutors for students - CXC and A-levels

also register with Service Commission

Register to teaching service commission.

there are many Contractors and Service Companies to call and send resumes to .

Do some online course Mobile development as well.
Dont stop and be caught up with the unemployed.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 15th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Hello youngman,

Keep faith and keep positive.

You are young and have plenty time ahead, but waste no opportunity.

We are having a MAJOR issues with Trini workers that are and are known worldwide to be:

Incompetent
Inefficient
Inconsistent
Irresponsible
Immoral
Ignorant
Uneducated
Unpunctual
Unwilling
Unhelpful
Undeserving
Unprofessional
Unethical
Unsupportive
Undependable
Unreliable
Dishonest
Deceitful
Complacent
Complaining
Excuse giving
Smartmen
Slow
Spiteful
Users
Loafers
Beggars
Thieves
Unhygienic
Littering
Lawless
LAZY
Sufferers

Please do not fall within these categories.

Have the right attitude and the right mindset and you will be fine.

Take advice from winners.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » September 15th, 2021, 4:24 pm

MaxPower wrote:Hello youngman,

Keep faith and keep positive.

You are young and have plenty time ahead, but waste no opportunity.

We are having a MAJOR issues with Trini workers that are and are known worldwide to be:

Incompetent
Inefficient
Inconsistent
Irresponsible
Immoral
Ignorant
Uneducated
Unpunctual
Unwilling
Unhelpful
Undeserving
Unprofessional
Unethical
Unsupportive
Undependable
Unreliable
Dishonest
Deceitful
Complacent
Complaining
Excuse giving
Smartmen
Slow
Spiteful
Users
Loafers
Beggars
Thieves
Unhygienic
Littering
Lawless
LAZY
Sufferers

Please do not fall within these categories.

Have the right attitude and the right mindset and you will be fine.

Take advice from winners.

Oh gorm Max the man ask for a lil career advice, not a doctoral thesis on all what wrong with Trini workers
You didn't want to tell him how great our venezuelans are one time

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 15th, 2021, 4:43 pm

The self loathe is strong in the Guyanese Bull Puller Vene Craver

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 15th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Max you were in recruitment, give the man something more useful nah

Advertisement