Forums

Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

dogg
Riding on 17's

Re: Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby dogg » October 5th, 2022, 10:32 am

With my 4% cashback pricesmart credit card. I buy almost everything I can there. The cashback and the discounted prices more than makes up for membership fees. Last year for their annual sales event, there was 10% cashback with the credit card. you better believe I took advantage.

Some items are definitely cheaper at groceries when there are specials, so I know exactly what to buy and when.

Pricesmart for life.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 5th, 2022, 10:55 am

Right? I thought that this was obvious. I can't believe that a discount membership at a Costco/Price Club is being looked at as luxury by some citizens in our country.

They really widening the gap and making their election base gnashing and roiling eh? That's how to do it.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 5th, 2022, 11:50 am

Know someone that bought 600 pounds of food last year because as he said he knows prices would increase.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 5th, 2022, 4:21 pm

waaay boi 1 lil PS post i put last night jes sharing stuff & like it trigger some of yall :lol:

sticking to d food part since its a food thread : where & by who u choose to shop all depends on each persons needs : size of family ,eating habits, variety\kind of stuff u like to eat & how much of it, how often u cook, if u run a food business etc

for my needs is market, hilo for a few certain things but majority of groceries is by price club with my 2% off card, occasionally like every other mth i may need 2-3 items from PS & my bro gets it for me ... about 5 groceries all around me all within 5-10 mins so i dont stock up for a whole mth like some ppl but buy to last a wk or 2 max depending on what i consume :|

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 5th, 2022, 4:36 pm

you missing out on all you can drink sweet drink boi

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 5th, 2022, 4:48 pm

hoss i stop seejink bout 10yrs now, only when i occasionally rarely feel for a apple j i will drink 1, when u stop drinking seejink after a long while & u taste 1 u ask urself why u used to drink that horrible tasting crap

otherwise i switched to juice since then , yea i know it still have sugar but hopefully it have less harmful chemicals in it than seejink & i try to drink some plain water as needed in between too ....

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Went years without drinking any soft drink.

When I finally drank a coke after so long it tasted so weird.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » October 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Juice drinks is just as bad as soft drinks, it's just uncarbonated is the only difference. I stop drinking all that crap awhile now. Stick to water and you'll be fine health wise.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » October 5th, 2022, 5:04 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
Skanky wrote:I can’t believe people actually think buying in bulk is a good idea. Buy what you need and keep the money saved for other daily uses…. gas liming bills etc. When grocery items run out buy again.

How does it benefit you when you have thousands of dollars in groceries in your pantry and still have to come up with money for everyday life? There is opportunity cost for that money in your pantry that you now can’t use for other aspects of your life.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. How exactly does food go to waste??? But you wasting $$$ on liming? This alone shows where your priorities are and you probably one of those who run to the parlour every other day to buy 2 eggs and a piece of butter.

i understan where skanky coming from. when i was now in uni i used to run go parlour/grocery for bread and a can of tuna and some grapes or whatever i needed for the next day or two. was a very happy time in my life, felt like being free

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 5th, 2022, 5:16 pm

ok, but now that you're an adult, budgeting your money on an Excel sheet in red and black with expenditure and savings foresight is still a big people concept?

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 5th, 2022, 5:25 pm

re pricesmart: babylon system

imagine i would have to give them all my personal info and id card to buy from them. what happen to i just give money and i get the tuna. why they need to know my personal info

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 5th, 2022, 5:27 pm

you going backward and off topic. this was discussed already and the next morning you made a panic post how the government stealing your data. I does want to give sum allyuh the benefit of the doubt on this forum that allyuh trolling rather than Hanlon's Razor.
Last edited by maj. tom on October 5th, 2022, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 5th, 2022, 5:29 pm

every week massy asks me if i have a massy card

and every week i tell them no

i am a free man. it gives me happiness in life. idk why that upsetting you

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 5th, 2022, 5:33 pm

K74T wrote:Is how people does buy the item then complain after.

Nobody forced you to buy it in the first place.

X3000.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 5th, 2022, 5:45 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
Skanky wrote:I can’t believe people actually think buying in bulk is a good idea. Buy what you need and keep the money saved for other daily uses…. gas liming bills etc. When grocery items run out buy again.

How does it benefit you when you have thousands of dollars in groceries in your pantry and still have to come up with money for everyday life? There is opportunity cost for that money in your pantry that you now can’t use for other aspects of your life.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. How exactly does food go to waste??? But you wasting $$$ on liming? This alone shows where your priorities are and you probably one of those who run to the parlour every other day to buy 2 eggs and a piece of butter.

i understan where skanky coming from. when i was now in uni i used to run go parlour/grocery for bread and a can of tuna and some grapes or whatever i needed for the next day or two. was a very happy time in my life, felt like being free

It all depends on your finances.

People with money have the ability to save more.

Buying in bulk does not work for the really poor man.

If your salary is $3000/mth….you cannot buy $1000 in bulk items, because as Skanks said, you need money for gas etc…..but liming and unnecessary shopping is a no. Many people can buy in bulk and save long term, but as shakes said, the priorities wrong.

Let’s try not to over think. Buying bulk works only with finances permitting and a wise budget.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 5th, 2022, 6:43 pm

You pay ppl less, there is less ability to save after paying bills

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 5th, 2022, 7:03 pm

yuh ever wonder how come it have ppl with very high monthly income/salary yet never have money and at the same time it have ppl with modest salaries but have a lot more assets ?

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 5th, 2022, 7:19 pm

like a gas tank hit yuh on yuh head. Wtf kinda logic is this?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 5th, 2022, 7:49 pm

matr1x wrote:You pay ppl less, there is less ability to save after paying bills

Some people get paid less based on their job description.

So yes, with a small salary, you save less.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 5th, 2022, 7:51 pm

pugboy wrote:yuh ever wonder how come it have ppl with very high monthly income/salary yet never have money and at the same time it have ppl with modest salaries but have a lot more assets ?

Thread by itself

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » October 5th, 2022, 8:04 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What is another butter brand that tastes just as good as the kerrygold?

Sometimes for days all we had growing up was homemade bread and butter, it rel grow on meh even as big man and boy ah cud say handsdown the best butter available locally is Elle & Vire Gourmet salted butter. Milkana was good in its days, but never understood fascination wid d Anchor or Kerrigold butters best i just eat like a land-o-lakes or smth.
But trust me once you start eating that butter all else taste like rel crap, wa day i buy an emerald which i was rel accutom to before i discovered this brand an i couldn't even stomach it, and for a man who for d day sometime does jus eat ah 1 or 2 bnb daiz sayin plenty lol.

Also for pmart if ur RA patient or suffer from any similar symptoms when consuming the locally available rat cheese the pmart card will quickly repay itself as the mozzarella, meunster, swiss, cream cheese they carry so much cheaper.
for example: is like $32 for 1 8oz Philadelphia cream cheese, whereas in d Pmart is 6 8oz for $100

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » October 5th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Where I living is only massy or small parlors in the ghetto, so massy is our only choice. Besides those small parlors don't have any fancy products. I don't spend any setta time thinking about how much things cost, time is money.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 5th, 2022, 8:18 pm

daxt0r wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:What is another butter brand that tastes just as good as the kerrygold?

Sometimes for days all we had growing up was homemade bread and butter, it rel grow on meh even as big man and boy ah cud say handsdown the best butter available locally is Elle & Vire Gourmet salted butter. Milkana was good in its days, but never understood fascination wid d Anchor or Kerrigold butters best i just eat like a land-o-lakes or smth.
But trust me once you start eating that butter all else taste like rel crap, wa day i buy an emerald which i was rel accutom to before i discovered this brand an i couldn't even stomach it, and for a man who for d day sometime does jus eat ah 1 or 2 bnb daiz sayin plenty lol.

Also for pmart if ur RA patient or suffer from any similar symptoms when consuming the locally available rat cheese the pmart card will quickly repay itself as the mozzarella, meunster, swiss, cream cheese they carry so much cheaper.
for example: is like $32 for 1 8oz Philadelphia cream cheese, whereas in d Pmart is 6 8oz for $100

Rat cheese has the most flavor.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » October 5th, 2022, 8:22 pm

i agree but it acts up d family dem RA, so while i like it yuh know how d tings go, nuff ah years ah eat sunflower an countryhouse an eh like it growing up so dis jus ah nex stage :D

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 5th, 2022, 8:23 pm

It all comes down to Financial management
pugboy wrote:yuh ever wonder how come it have ppl with very high monthly income/salary yet never have money and at the same time it have ppl with modest salaries but have a lot more assets ?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 5th, 2022, 9:18 pm

Forget butter.Eat balisier bread with balisier jam

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 5th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Mmoney607 wrote:Where I living is only massy or small parlors in the ghetto, so massy is our only choice. Besides those small parlors don't have any fancy products. I don't spend any setta time thinking about how much things cost, time is money.

And safety as well.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 6th, 2022, 4:21 am

We are the feogs....and we are getting very comfortable in the boiling water.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » October 6th, 2022, 5:36 am

Pearls before swine.

What I'm saying is very simple....buy what you need and will use for a specific time period.

For instance we buy what we need and will use for a week to two week period.I go to a grocery where I buy both groceries and especially market items. Here's a tip..the plastic wrapped foodstuff lasts a lot longer that just buying them and putting them in a bag as you would do in the market or veggie stall but I digress.
The actual money saved from planning and buying exactly what we will use is reallocated to other areas of our lives during that two week period for eg bills and entertainment such as internet bill,electricity bill,a bottle of wine,a homecooked steak dinner, delivery sushi,riding lessons or saving for a vacation.

If I bought foodstuff for a month, how praytell do I pay my internet bill with a big block of cheese in my freezer or five packs of macaroni in my pantry? How do I fill up my cars with a gallon of cooking oil from my pantry or six packs of soap. The money has to come from somewhere so I will have to dip into my pocket to pay for these things on a daily basis while I have thousands tied up doing nothing for me in my pantry.

Buying in bulk for me is not worth it and you can't actually prove mathematically that you recoup the $250 you pay on a yearly basis for membership.I will never pay $250 or any amount for the 'privilege' of shopping in any establishment.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 6th, 2022, 5:48 am

For free delivery and the ability to make an online purchase, I would gladly pay more than $250 per year.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”