Forums

Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

death365
Riding on 18's

Re: Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby death365 » May 10th, 2023, 3:20 am

Wha kinda blasphemy yuh talking bout seasoning is needed in everything.

Fry egg
Soup/fish broth
When yuh stewing and baking
In beans/dhal
All kinda choka

In everything!

screwbash wrote:
88sins wrote:
Rovin wrote:i think most of us wud know golden ray & others like it not healthy which is why i use very little of it but what allyuh does use as a substitute to give that rich creole flavor ? ...

Bro, when u use proper fresh seasoning, in the correct amounts, yuh does get to realize how dem ting really unnecessary. Notice I eh say over seasoning eh. don't hadda overdo it.
For a little extra fat, since fat adds flavor, actual butter is one way to go. Then there's animal fats (beef tallow, duck fat, chicken grease, etc), all easy to make and store, some you can buy.

trinis dont know how to cook. everything is too much green seasoning. trinis feel chive, bandania, fine leaf thyme, big leaf thyme, celery, pimento, garlic all blended and the meat soak in that with salt is best seasoning. no where else in the flipping world does that. the meat absorb the seasoning flavor, so better you just curry the seasoning and eat that yes and call it best curry.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 10th, 2023, 7:23 am

pugboy wrote:for those you into yoghurt
the locally made guiltless one is real good and way cheaper than the imported ones

Co-signed. Nice flavour and thickness too

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 10th, 2023, 9:16 am

I like the local buttermilk- I forget the name- was a 500ml bottle with a red cap about $30 last time I buy a few months ago. It was actually fermented with certain probiotic bacteria, not soured curdled milk with lime juice. Will always support local like that when the product is quality.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » May 10th, 2023, 10:47 am

j.o.e wrote:
pugboy wrote:for those you into yoghurt
the locally made guiltless one is real good and way cheaper than the imported ones

Co-signed. Nice flavour and thickness too

There's one make by the monks up in St Benedict. Failure thing

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » May 10th, 2023, 11:02 am

I actually like the almond flavored monk one

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 10th, 2023, 11:17 am

you use the right word, flavoured

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 10th, 2023, 11:54 am

pugboy wrote:you use the right word, flavoured

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But yeah,,, in the world of local yogurts, the best I ever had was marlissa farms

Meeno if dey close down or wa. But packaging and everything was top notch

Used to come with a lil spoony spoon too

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » May 10th, 2023, 1:28 pm

It have seasoning to enhance d food such as salt. Herbs such as bandania overpower d food an u not tasting d meat all u taste is curry seasoning. After a duck, goat ,chicken an fish is seasoned the same way it all taste the same only texture is different.

death365 wrote:Wha kinda blasphemy yuh talking bout seasoning is needed in everything.

Fry egg
Soup/fish broth
In beans/dhal
All kinda choka

In everything!

screwbash wrote:
88sins wrote:
Rovin wrote:i think most of us wud know golden ray & others like it not healthy which is why i use very little of it but what allyuh does use as a substitute to give that rich creole flavor ? ...

Bro, when u use proper fresh seasoning, in the correct amounts, yuh does get to realize how dem ting really unnecessary. Notice I eh say over seasoning eh. don't hadda overdo it.
For a little extra fat, since fat adds flavor, actual butter is one way to go. Then there's animal fats (beef tallow, duck fat, chicken grease, etc), all easy to make and store, some you can buy.

trinis dont know how to cook. everything is too much green seasoning. trinis feel chive, bandania, fine leaf thyme, big leaf thyme, celery, pimento, garlic all blended and the meat soak in that with salt is best seasoning. no where else in the flipping world does that. the meat absorb the seasoning flavor, so better you just curry the seasoning and eat that yes and call it best curry.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 10th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Lack of seasoning is probably why food from authentic Indian restaurants taste so terribly bad.

screwbash wrote:It have seasoning to enhance d food such as salt. Herbs such as bandania overpower d food an u not tasting d meat all u taste is curry seasoning. After a duck, goat ,chicken an fish is seasoned the same way it all taste the same only texture is different.

death365 wrote:Wha kinda blasphemy yuh talking bout seasoning is needed in everything.

Fry egg
Soup/fish broth
In beans/dhal
All kinda choka

In everything!

screwbash wrote:
88sins wrote:

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 10th, 2023, 1:35 pm

screwbash wrote:It have seasoning to enhance d food such as salt. Herbs such as bandania overpower d food an u not tasting d meat all u taste is curry seasoning. After a duck, goat ,chicken an fish is seasoned the same way it all taste the same only texture is different.

Fry egg
Soup/fish broth
In beans/dhal
All kinda choka

In everything!

screwbash wrote:
88sins wrote:

Seasoning in fry egg dawg? :lol:

If you using fresh/natural ingredients like good butter/salt and good quality bread, you er need seasoning for that.

If you frying it in margarine and eating it with Kiss bread, then yeah you'll need something to make it taste good :lol:

D man correk, some of yall does really over do it with seasoning and cook dong ting dry dry too.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 10th, 2023, 1:41 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:Seasoning in fry egg dawg?

If you using fresh/natural ingredients like good butter/salt and good quality bread, you er need seasoning for that.

If you frying it in margarine and eating it with Kiss bread, then yeah you'll need something to make it taste good

D man correk, some of yall does really over do it with seasoning and cook dong ting dry dry too.

Salt is a seasoning.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 10th, 2023, 1:47 pm

Yeah our type of seasoning is too much that's why everybody everywhere else in the world just love love Trini/Jamaican/Mexican food and always lining up everywhere for it in large cities and can't get enough of the flavour. Everybody actually just love the true flavour of salt and black pepper and pickles for real.

/s
Last edited by maj. tom on May 10th, 2023, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 10th, 2023, 1:47 pm

adnj wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:Seasoning in fry egg dawg?

If you frying it in margarine and eating it with Kiss bread, then yeah you'll need something to make it taste good

Salt is a seasoning.

This is you here dawg

Raichu Raichu

Thank you for correcting a minor mistake in my post g, hope u feel good now.

Salt is just essential for survival just like water, many people don't consider that seasoning

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 10th, 2023, 2:19 pm

A A,

Man like Slim sketch out

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 10th, 2023, 2:24 pm

i get that u dont need to put a heavy heap of all d available local green season - i agree with that & sometimes when i see some ppl bigging up bandania as a must have in local trini dishes i does wonder, sometimes ppl does get hyped up on some of these food videos & dont think b4 they talk

i have actually put fresh finely ground green seasoning in my fry egg b4 u fry it obviously - u dont need much of it, i find it taste good, doh knock it if u never tried it, different from jes plain ol salt & black pepper ...

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 10th, 2023, 2:37 pm

yep me too, I grow up eating fried egg that had a tiny touch of green seasoning, fried onion and hot pepper from how my grandmother cooked it. Zaboca she always used to mash it with a fork and season it with some salt, stiny amount of hot pepper and fine chopped onion and lemon juice... is only much later I find out that was really a guacamole recipe.

Many people don't realize that Culantro/Chadon Beni is an Amerindian seasoning herb. That is why it is so huge in Trini culture, but all over the meso-America and Peru/Amazon regions too. It was native to the New World, just like pepper and tomatoes.
Last edited by maj. tom on May 10th, 2023, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 10th, 2023, 2:37 pm

Yeah who don't love an omlette du fromage every now and then, or even a heavy curry.

But it honestly have some people out here who can't even drink water because it "don't taste like nothing"

Plenty Trini tastebuds honestly fried (pun intended)

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » May 10th, 2023, 2:38 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:

But yeah,,, in the world of local yogurts, the best I ever had was marlissa farms

Dahi is lash to with a lil brown sugar. Grocery by me does have, I find it's a nice variation to traditional yoghurt

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 10th, 2023, 4:15 pm

alfa wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

Dahi is lash to with a lil brown sugar. Grocery by me does have, I find it's a nice variation to traditional yoghurt

aye Isse do that, and a lil touch of cinnamon and cocoa bitters.

And a lillll milk to stretch it :lol:

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 10th, 2023, 4:20 pm

maj. tom wrote:Yeah our type of seasoning is too much that's why everybody everywhere else in the world just love love Trini/Jamaican/Mexican food and always lining up everywhere for it in large cities and can't get enough of the flavour. Everybody actually just love the true flavour of salt and black pepper and pickles for real.

/s

This. The flip side to that too much seasoning complaint is that everyone's cuisine is different, that's what makes different places' culinary offerings unique. There are places that use lots of spices, their indigenous seasonings ( or lack thereof) etc.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 10th, 2023, 4:21 pm

Lol allyuh fawkers watching too much YouTube and feel just salt and black pepper is seasoning.

The only place I ever get food that taste better than trinidad is in Suriname. And it was very much like our food.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 10th, 2023, 4:24 pm

maj. tom wrote:Yeah our type of seasoning is too much that's why everybody everywhere else in the world just love love Trini/Jamaican/Mexican food and always lining up everywhere for it in large cities and can't get enough of the flavour. Everybody actually just love the true flavour of salt and black pepper and pickles for real.

/s

Guy's watching too many murikan cooking shows musbe.

Omelette: egg, salt. sprinkle some black pepper. WOW, amazing! lulz.

Amazing pasta- half tsp lime, salt black paper. wow, epicurean!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 10th, 2023, 5:36 pm

and everything “pan seared”

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 10th, 2023, 5:42 pm

wrt green seasoning in egg, less is more.
For something a little different
Make an omelet, but add a little shredded/grated cheese, a little bit of chives, some very finely chopped onions and garlic, little bit of bell pepper, a hint of celery, and a very tiny dusting of salt and black pepper. Mix the ingredients except the chives and cheese in the egg. Frying in a mix of a little butter and virgn olive oil on low heat, with a few grain of geera seeds fried in the oil before adding the egg. After you add the egg, add the cheese, and when that melt, fold it over to close everything up, and a little chives on top for garnish.

If yuh do it right, yuh will put teeth to that frying pan eh :lol:

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » May 10th, 2023, 5:43 pm

pugboy wrote:and everything “pan seared”
Because "pan seared plantain" sounds better than "fry plantain".

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 10th, 2023, 5:43 pm

i agree most north americans food is under seasoned
however i think locally ppl overdo it
for example duck
how many ppl actually what duck meat tastes like?
apart from heavily curried with plenty pepper?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 10th, 2023, 5:55 pm

All in all, understand this.
Proper seasoning should accentuate your food, and add very mild notes and flavors to your meal, not overpower it. Some herbs and spices are very potent, so you use them very sparingly, whereas others are somewhat mild, so can be used a little more generously. Is a balancing act. Even with salt, you don't need a whole lot to enhance the flavor. A good example is fish. Fish absorbs seasoning very easily, so a little bit does go far. Chicken as well. Goat on the other hand, will require a bit more seasoning than chicken.

Always remember, with seasoning, a little goes a long way.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 10th, 2023, 5:58 pm

pugboy wrote:i agree most north americans food is under seasoned
however i think locally ppl overdo it
for example duck
how many ppl actually what duck meat tastes like?
apart from heavily curried with plenty pepper?

A nice simple crispy roast duck skin could cause a argument.
Worse yet if yuh season and baste with orange. Now self is fight :lol:

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 10th, 2023, 5:59 pm

88sins wrote:wrt green seasoning in egg, less is more.
For something a little different
Make an omelet, but add a little shredded/grated cheese, a little bit of chives, some very finely chopped onions and garlic, little bit of bell pepper, a hint of celery, and a very tiny dusting of salt and black pepper. Mix the ingredients except the chives and cheese in the egg. Frying in a mix of a little butter and virgn olive oil on low heat, with a few grain of geera seeds fried in the oil before adding the egg. After you add the egg, add the cheese, and when that melt, fold it over to close everything up, and a little chives on top for garnish.

If yuh do it right, yuh will put teeth to that frying pan eh :lol:

I do everything there but the geera, watch how I trying that in the morning

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 10th, 2023, 6:14 pm

geera is one of those things which can amp up things tremendously but just a hint
less is more

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”