Forums

Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby pugboy » June 23rd, 2022, 7:51 am

have the pizza places put out any statement yet ?
I am sure they will also be looking to increase
BUT flour is actually not a major cost in a pizza
cheese and toppings tend to be at least 70% of the material cost.

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » June 23rd, 2022, 8:15 am

hover11 wrote:All this talk about flour increase. I have to laugh because by next week the Avenue full of people liming, drinking and having a good time. There goes the talk about flour because trinis have 7 day memory. Carnival band launch still happening next month and costumes selling for 2023. Fetes will still sell out as usual so flour increase, decrease, government come government go trinis only talk and don't take anything seriously. Anyway, what's the latest with the divers? See what I mean :S
You all are disingenuous and it shows, the vulnerable ones are not in the avenue on weekends they are suffering to pay rent and food. Alluh not frequenting the places that those mose affected by these price wages are and casting judgment on them.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 23rd, 2022, 8:33 am

nemisis wrote:
hover11 wrote:All this talk about flour increase. I have to laugh because by next week the Avenue full of people liming, drinking and having a good time. There goes the talk about flour because trinis have 7 day memory. Carnival band launch still happening next month and costumes selling for 2023. Fetes will still sell out as usual so flour increase, decrease, government come government go trinis only talk and don't take anything seriously. Anyway, what's the latest with the divers? See what I mean :S
You all are disingenuous and it shows, the vulnerable ones are not in the avenue on weekends they are suffering to pay rent and food. Alluh not frequenting the places that those mose affected by these price wages are and casting judgment on them.

Correct! Real righteous ppl out here.

Then they wanna bring up healthier eating and lifestyle, pack of BS. People literally on survival mode out there with empty belly. Does feel to hit ppl some hard slap… The privileged kale salad is not worth more than a quarter Roti with fry aloo.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » June 23rd, 2022, 9:04 am

gastly369 wrote:For the regular doubles patrons seeing some men prices up to $10 already
Now for a 2 bite finger food it's costly but at the same time almost everything that's used to make it has almost tripled would u buy a doubles for $10 still?

I don't usually eat prob between last year and this year had a total of about 12 doubles.

I don’t buy doubles for more than $5 it’s not a boycott or a tote. More than $5 is just not value for money for me especially since I don’t even crave it.

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » June 23rd, 2022, 9:44 am

j.o.e wrote:
gastly369 wrote:For the regular doubles patrons seeing some men prices up to $10 already
Now for a 2 bite finger food it's costly but at the same time almost everything that's used to make it has almost tripled would u buy a doubles for $10 still?

I don't usually eat prob between last year and this year had a total of about 12 doubles.

I don’t buy doubles for more than $5 it’s not a boycott or a tote. More than $5 is just not value for money for me especially since I don’t even crave it.

What are the other options at $5, $6 or $7?

matr1x

Postby matr1x » June 23rd, 2022, 9:54 am

Flour is a staple of many poorer communities. And with harder economic times, expect more drastic steps. Expect alot more suicides by parents

j.o.e

Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby j.o.e » June 23rd, 2022, 10:09 am

dogg wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

What are the other options at $5, $6 or $7?

The way I see it, is that at $5 I may eat 3-4 doubles and that’s a deal portion wise.
Once 4 doubles getting to be $24 or more there are tastier and more filling options.
Also I don’t rely on doubles for regular breakfast/ lunch. More of a weekend treat. I could get a roti, pies, burger etc for that

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » June 23rd, 2022, 10:10 am

Trinidad sounds like Guyana 30years ago

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » June 23rd, 2022, 10:26 am

j.o.e wrote:
The way I see it, is that at $5 I may eat 3-4 doubles and that’s a deal portion wise.
Once 4 doubles getting to be $24 or more there are tastier and more filling options.
Also I don’t rely on doubles for regular breakfast/ lunch. More of a weekend treat. I could get a roti, pies, burger etc for that

wayzz... Nah bro. 3 or 4??
On the occasion I do partake, ONE doubles is my limit. OR a small cup of channa.
I have to be drunk or starving to eat more.
2 Doubles for breakfast and I not eating again til dinner.
I'm now starting to understand why folks complaining about doubles price increasing - they eat too much of it per sitting.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » June 23rd, 2022, 10:43 am

dogg wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

On the occasion I do partake, ONE doubles is my limit. OR a small cup of channa.
I'm now starting to understand why folks complaining about doubles price increasing - they eat too much of it per sitting.

Yup that’s it. I might eat doubles once every two months. But most trinis eat at least 3 a sitting upwards of twice a week. Doubles just not that great for me to consider paying $6 for one. I understand the increases in raw materials so they must raise prices. I just prefer to eat better and more decadent junk than bread and channa when I take a cheat.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 23rd, 2022, 11:24 am

dogg wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

Wayzz u making me feel real greedy and fat hoss. I does stand up and eat 3 mega (a mega is basically 2 doubles ) when I feeling for it.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 23rd, 2022, 11:35 am

nick639v2 wrote:
nemisis wrote:

Correct! Real righteous ppl out here.

Then they wanna bring up healthier eating and lifestyle, pack of BS. People literally on survival mode out there with empty belly. Does feel to hit ppl some hard slap… The privileged kale salad is not worth more than a quarter Roti with fry aloo.

what else allyuh expect from the sufferers who have safe govt jobs? quick to maco ppl business as if dey minding them

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 23rd, 2022, 12:00 pm

what can citizens do about gas, flour increase or everything increasing but get shocked at 1st, mumble & then cope with it

& dont tell me sh1t bout protest cause these 2 parties always have d country racially divided & half of us will grumble while d next half staying quiet cause da party whichever 1 u supporting is we kinda ppl so cyar go against we own doh mind we suffering, we going down wrong\strong .... race , politics & partying b4 country ... :roll:

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » June 23rd, 2022, 12:11 pm

Rovin wrote:what can citizens do about gas, flour increase or everything increasing but get shocked at 1st, mumble & then cope with it

& dont tell me sh1t bout protest cause these 2 parties always have d country racially divided & half of us will grumble while d next half staying quiet cause da party whichever 1 u supporting is we kinda ppl so cyar go against we own doh mind we suffering, we going down wrong\strong .... race , politics & partying b4 country ... :roll:

Gas and wheat are commodities whose price is set out of our control so in theory there isn't much you can do there. Maybe support agriculture initiatives which can use cassava as a source for flour, but anyone who has used tapioca knows it's way different from wheat flour.

By everything else try to purchase local fruits, vegetables and meat. Eat more root vegetables like yam, cassava and cheap legumes like dhal, red bean, black eye, lentils etc.

Those prices have not been subject to heavy inflation as other items.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 23rd, 2022, 12:16 pm

Namdevco & others online says root crop flour, like cassava and sweet potato flour are available at their various farmers' markets but at 4-5 times d price of wheat flour is out of reach for most ppl ...

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 23rd, 2022, 12:53 pm

Rovin wrote:Namdevco & others online says root crop flour, like cassava and sweet potato flour are available at their various farmers' markets but at 4-5 times d price of wheat flour is out of reach for most ppl ...
Anything local is expensive

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 23rd, 2022, 1:18 pm

gas went up everyone beyotch an complain and yet people taking they family for pointless drive on a sunday. no ease up in traffic on any day or time so flour going up will be met with bump gum and business as usual next week. rum go up same thing, cigarette go up same thing, fast food go up and people will still buy. police sharing tickets and demerit points an people still drive like arse. so nothing changes in T&T except the weather.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » June 23rd, 2022, 1:25 pm

daring dragoon wrote:gas went up everyone beyotch an complain and yet people taking they family for pointless drive on a sunday. no ease up in traffic on any day or time so flour going up will be met with bump gum and business as usual next week. rum go up same thing, cigarette go up same thing, fast food go up and people will still buy. police sharing tickets and demerit points an people still drive like arse. so nothing changes in T&T except the weather.
As max and zoom say , trinis to happy

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 23rd, 2022, 1:39 pm

IMG_1828.JPG

A Very Stupid Trini Wheat Idea...

If you ask the typical person what BH1224, is they will not know. It is actually the strain of sugar cane that was planted on the majority of the cane fields in Trinidad and Tobago. It did not have the highest sucrose content, but it was extremely popular because it was one type that proved very resistant to pest and disease attacks...

The preceding paragraph is just a sequeway to explain that Trinidad and Tobago was once a place where significant plant and animal testing and modification occurred. We produced our own cane, cocoa, coffee and even animal hybrids and many of those decades long experiments were succesful in context. Children of the eighties will recall something called the Buffalypso...

More than that, it is a historical fact that cocoa plants modified and produced in Trinidad in the early twentieth century under what was then the Imperial College of Tropical Agriculture (UWI) were later transported and transplanted to West African countries like Nigeria and Ghana where they helped to boost the local cocoa industries, turning them into dominant world players in cocoa to this day...

Now all of this has been a long run up to promote a very stupid idea. We are addicted to wheat; we love it. Asking Trinbagonians to convert to channa or dasheen or cassava flour overnight is both costly and impractical. What I would be doing is using some of that aweet UWI MONEY we spend every year to do something practical like modifying a strain of wheat to grow in the hot sun. Do we have scientists here? Hello....

On the surface this is a very simple and ridiculous idea but think about it. Every single food that we eat today, either plant or animal based, is the end result of millennia of man made or artificial selection. Conversely wheat is a grass like cane and we have had a long history interfering with that. And in a world where food scarcity might become more normal than we might hope or wish, what does it hurt to try? Really...

Trinbagonians even in the midst of all of that colonial brainwashing used to be a people capable of BIG IDEAS and solutions. Now we pitch so low, we trip and fall on cut grass. It is time for us to think big again...

And I done...

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 23rd, 2022, 1:47 pm

i read in newpaper and social media people panic buying flour and even the grocery in my area have no 10kg flour. newsday have a pic of a man buying 4 10kg flour at $70 oer sack and 45kg is $280. these people cant do maths? from NFM article a 10kg will be increase by about $25. so in order to save $20 people buy 4x10kg for $280 in flour that is probably 4 months of flour and it will spoil from weevil etc. even if a 45kg increase to $360 or so an if you able to store it just buy a 45kg which will mean $8 per kg vs $10 per kg if the $100 for a 10kg that is being advertised is correct.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 23rd, 2022, 1:53 pm

Even if we did find a strain of tropical wheat what makes him think we would grow it at a competitive price? We can grow sugar cane here but yet imported US$32m in cane or beet sugar in 2021. Our sugar came from countries a much low cost of production - Colombia, Guatemala and Belize and more than likely any tropical wheat strain ever developed will be able to be grown at much lower costs in countries like those as well.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 23rd, 2022, 1:55 pm

that’s the thing
who exactly is the “we” in saying we can grow this and that
besides the govt not concerned with giving farm land leases

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » June 23rd, 2022, 2:47 pm

The escalation of food prices were predicted in mid 2020 and even if we new the impact was going to be significant, the levels of increases we are seeing are absolutely frightening.
With the trajectory of increases all sectors are going to suffer tremendously and as price points for things which can be considered non essentials reach the point where demand falls, retailers are certainly going to experience contraction of profitability/margins.
Given the short time frame the inflationary shock is taking place the responses from individual uncoordinated sectors or groups won't be able to yield any positive results within the required periods.
At this time the state must construct a matrix of initiatives to respond to our circumstances, being mindful that fostering and supporting continuity in our investment climate would be fundamental to our survival.
Certainly increases in taxes and removal of subsidies are no longer the the only direction to take and strategic mobilisation of resources and capital support for productive outcomes is imperative.
I must admit a lack of confidence in our present MOF to get the job done simply because this isn't where his strengths are.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 23rd, 2022, 2:54 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Even if we did find a strain of tropical wheat what makes him think we would grow it at a competitive price? We can grow sugar cane here but yet imported US$32m in cane or beet sugar in 2021. Our sugar came from countries a much low cost of production - Colombia, Guatemala and Belize and more than likely any tropical wheat strain ever developed will be able to be grown at much lower costs in countries like those as well.
Nobody planting anything here

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » June 23rd, 2022, 3:13 pm

Kickstart wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:gas went up everyone beyotch an complain and yet people taking they family for pointless drive on a sunday. no ease up in traffic on any day or time so flour going up will be met with bump gum and business as usual next week. rum go up same thing, cigarette go up same thing, fast food go up and people will still buy. police sharing tickets and demerit points an people still drive like arse. so nothing changes in T&T except the weather.
As max and zoom say , trinis to happy

All now pitiful maxpower taking selfies in Massy stores holding flour to send to his relatives in Guyana.
Poor guy needs an intervention.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 23rd, 2022, 3:29 pm

nick639v2 wrote:IMG_1828.JPG

A Very Stupid Trini Wheat Idea...

If you ask the typical person what BH1224, is they will not know. It is actually the strain of sugar cane that was planted on the majority of the cane fields in Trinidad and Tobago. It did not have the highest sucrose content, but it was extremely popular because it was one type that proved very resistant to pest and disease attacks...

The preceding paragraph is just a sequeway to explain that Trinidad and Tobago was once a place where significant plant and animal testing and modification occurred. We produced our own cane, cocoa, coffee and even animal hybrids and many of those decades long experiments were succesful in context. Children of the eighties will recall something called the Buffalypso...

More than that, it is a historical fact that cocoa plants modified and produced in Trinidad in the early twentieth century under what was then the Imperial College of Tropical Agriculture (UWI) were later transported and transplanted to West African countries like Nigeria and Ghana where they helped to boost the local cocoa industries, turning them into dominant world players in cocoa to this day...

Now all of this has been a long run up to promote a very stupid idea. We are addicted to wheat; we love it. Asking Trinbagonians to convert to channa or dasheen or cassava flour overnight is both costly and impractical. What I would be doing is using some of that aweet UWI MONEY we spend every year to do something practical like modifying a strain of wheat to grow in the hot sun. Do we have scientists here? Hello....

On the surface this is a very simple and ridiculous idea but think about it. Every single food that we eat today, either plant or animal based, is the end result of millennia of man made or artificial selection. Conversely wheat is a grass like cane and we have had a long history interfering with that. And in a world where food scarcity might become more normal than we might hope or wish, what does it hurt to try? Really...

Trinbagonians even in the midst of all of that colonial brainwashing used to be a people capable of BIG IDEAS and solutions. Now we pitch so low, we trip and fall on cut grass. It is time for us to think big again...

And I done...

Dr. Lovell Francis was not a part of the gov't? Why he doh hush? What did he do when we was in gov't to advance the cause?

Steups.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 23rd, 2022, 3:59 pm

I waiting on kiss to bring back the shop loaf it had in the early 90's. Smaller bread smaller money. I looking forward to eating chicken on a sunday only an kfc/chinese food/any fast food probably once a year together with soda only at christmas time. I looking forward to all them tanty in the village coming together to cook for hindu prayers over the cathering nonsense that goes on now. I just looking for life to return to the 80's where cars have to be ordered and months before delivery, less cars on the road,

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 23rd, 2022, 4:20 pm

Kiss to increase price of its bread products by an average of 11% from July 1st 2022.

FB_IMG_1656015559685.jpg

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 23rd, 2022, 5:16 pm

K74T wrote:Kiss to increase price of its bread products by an average of 11% from July 1st 2022.

FB_IMG_1656015559685.jpg

So Kiss can't source and import it's own flour?

Why is the country reliant on NFM as the sole importer of flour in the country?

Not sure about Nutrimix etc.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » June 23rd, 2022, 5:19 pm

daring dragoon wrote:I waiting on kiss to bring back the shop loaf it had in the early 90's. Smaller bread smaller money. I looking forward to eating chicken on a sunday only an kfc/chinese food/any fast food probably once a year together with soda only at christmas time. I looking forward to all them tanty in the village coming together to cook for hindu prayers over the cathering nonsense that goes on now. I just looking for life to return to the 80's where cars have to be ordered and months before delivery, less cars on the road,

yessssss

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”