Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby pugboy » October 13th, 2021, 4:06 pm

i doubt the instant coffee is made locally
that most likely imported bulk and packaged here.

the real coffee is imported green beans from brazil and roasted here

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 13th, 2021, 4:29 pm

bluefete wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
sam1978 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
sam1978 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
sam1978 wrote:I could understand eliteauto post because it's the same thing he does here. Throw out names and brands to impress.

#poserauto

samantha when last you had some starbucks

Starbucks is for nobodies like you who make profiles to big up themselves on social media. Same principle as posing with starbucks. I've never drank coffee. Think why you call yourself superior man. Making up for some shortfall i'm sure.

Samantha,

why you hadda behave like a jamet so.

starbucks too expensive for mutts like you or what?

Pantyboy, don't go there. You could impress little girls and boys, but you know to yourself the reality. Admit it, even if it's to yourself.

Samanta be careful you don't buss your files again eh.

The mods and admins watching you

Here are the different accounts mis spelling "edvendence" and proof of this.

Zoom Rader -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=700270&start=1200#p10142884
http://img.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vie ... #p10141604

One Eye -

http://trinituner.com/v4/forums//viewto ... #p10165898

Kickstart -

http://trinituner.com/v4/forums/viewtop ... start=1980

Bluefete -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=759135&start=30#p10120821

Sam1978 -

viewtopic.php?p=10177886#p10177886

Here is sam1978 getting make out and responding with the wrong account

viewtopic.php?p=10178046#p10178046

Now the term "edvendence" is not a common spelling mistake....in fact if you google it, it actually brings up trinituner as the second result with only TWELVE results in entire internet. So it is likely that it's one person using these accounts.

So this all begs two questions,

why would someone have all of these alt accounts and play both sides? His alter egos Zoom Rader and Kickstart continually makes inflammatory UNC posts while One Eye etc sides with PNM.

Also why would the mods allow this?
Is it secretly an admin/mod doing this to be as controversial as possible to get more views thus raking in more advertisers? or is it just to have fun? Maybe it's an incel weirdo who has enough time and this is form of pleasure? There is one mod who takes the side of these accounts.

Now you have to wonder how many accounts are actually the same person on here?

Why you bringing my name in allyuh bacchanal? If yuh want to play detective, play it properly nah and use deductive reasoning.

Is only mad people does ask themselves a question and give the answer back.

You get make out. Doh backtrack now.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » October 13th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Why inferior man getting on like a macomere man so. Stalking and tackling man, asking what kind of wife man looking for, like he thirsty for back door fun?

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 13th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Samantha you get make out. Stop behaving like you on your period. Let's get back to the topic at hand. Thanks.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 13th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Question , years ago growing up when I was attending school, I remember watching news and saw we hit double digit inflation, how is it that things are worse now and inflation is still single digit , confused the economics not sound at this moment

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 13th, 2021, 5:51 pm

eliteauto wrote:
88sins wrote:
sam1978 wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Trinis go crazy for that Starbucks.

Rel neverseecomesees

Maximus . That is something I don’t understand. What glamour or achievement is gained by buying a cup of coffee. I see people holding it up like a trophy , taking selfie’s with it , posting on Facebook and other social media platforms , when they purchase . I’ve even seen the cups refilled ( probably with Nescafé or Hong Wing) . The are similar coffee shops in other countries , but have never seen them used as a status symbol.

As I said on another thread
Trinis will try to turn literally ANYTHING into some sort of bu!!$#it status symbol. Gun, dog, house, car, bank statement, sneakers, jeans, kfc, coffee, etc. If you can think of something, some jackass already tried to show it off as a status symbol.
I surprised nobody eh wipe their arsehole and post a picture of the tp on fassbook to show off yet. And I feel that might happen just now if yuh look sharp.

Very stupid people, with so much pride and so little to be proud of, so they seek validation from the internet for even the most mundane and commonplace achievements, including having something to eat or drink.
Yuh feel Trinis kinda dotish in joke? They take their abilities to engage in stupidity extremely seriously.

Oh please, those branded coffees are social media status symbols globally, don't try making that a Trini thing, and yes Trinis are facetious, not unlike so many people everywhere on social media, allyuh self-hate misplaced oui

You need to learn how to look up. Because the meaning behind my post sailed inches over your head, and you still missed it. :roll:
Run down yuh lil "social media status symbol", just remember this.

The people that actually make things happen in this world, the ones with power, authority, and influence,
they only care that you drinking some cheap swill that you think is premium coffee in a paper cup simply because you overpaid for it because you think it's "social media status symbols", for one reason.
They told you to see it as a "status symbol", and you happily obliged, and your oblivion makes them rich. And you never once paid enough attention to see that the fact is, irl, they would rather NOT indulge themselves in what YOU THINK is premium product that THEY KNOW is Grade A garbage.

Enjoy your "social media status symbol". Hopefully you get all the likes and whatever other digital validation you looking for and they make you feel important.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 13th, 2021, 5:53 pm

Feed de nation , prime creole beef. Some of de stock

20211013_164613.jpg

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » October 13th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Sat Maraj would not be pleased.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » October 13th, 2021, 5:59 pm

88sins wrote:
eliteauto wrote:
88sins wrote:
sam1978 wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Trinis go crazy for that Starbucks.

Rel neverseecomesees

Maximus . That is something I don’t understand. What glamour or achievement is gained by buying a cup of coffee. I see people holding it up like a trophy , taking selfie’s with it , posting on Facebook and other social media platforms , when they purchase . I’ve even seen the cups refilled ( probably with Nescafé or Hong Wing) . The are similar coffee shops in other countries , but have never seen them used as a status symbol.

As I said on another thread
Trinis will try to turn literally ANYTHING into some sort of bu!!$#it status symbol. Gun, dog, house, car, bank statement, sneakers, jeans, kfc, coffee, etc. If you can think of something, some jackass already tried to show it off as a status symbol.
I surprised nobody eh wipe their arsehole and post a picture of the tp on fassbook to show off yet. And I feel that might happen just now if yuh look sharp.

Very stupid people, with so much pride and so little to be proud of, so they seek validation from the internet for even the most mundane and commonplace achievements, including having something to eat or drink.
Yuh feel Trinis kinda dotish in joke? They take their abilities to engage in stupidity extremely seriously.

Oh please, those branded coffees are social media status symbols globally, don't try making that a Trini thing, and yes Trinis are facetious, not unlike so many people everywhere on social media, allyuh self-hate misplaced oui

You need to learn how to look up. Because the meaning behind my post sailed inches over your head, and you still missed it. :roll:
Run down yuh lil "social media status symbol", just remember this.

The people that actually make things happen in this world, the ones with power, authority, and influence,
they only care that you drinking some cheap swill that you think is premium coffee in a paper cup simply because you overpaid for it because you think it's "social media status symbols", for one reason.
They told you to see it as a "status symbol", and you happily obliged, and your oblivion makes them rich. And you never once paid enough attention to see that the fact is, irl, they would rather NOT indulge themselves in what YOU THINK is premium product that THEY KNOW is Grade A garbage.

Enjoy your "social media status symbol". Hopefully you get all the likes and whatever other digital validation you looking for and they make you feel important.

Even being a mod on some automotive forum is pips for some people.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 13th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:
Rovin wrote:$2 u say , wda , wa kinda piping is that

... ah not saying u lying but if 1 of u tuners cud go takes some pics\video for d rest of us to see\believe ...

dem alone know what kind of economics they doing , how is d size compared to others selling for $5 though ?

doh feel i is a greedy money man for saying this but d way i look at it is u under valuing ur self worth

if everybody else in d country is selling something that is custom hand made to customer liking ex slight chutney medium pepper etc NOT 1 constant thing from a press button machine churning out mass produced items like in china , then why under price & physically work much more harder for same amt of money ... to hand make @ $2 x 50 items = $100 , @ $5 x 20 = $100, or even @ $4 x 25 = $100

if they happy : well i happy for dem , me eh beatin up .... :|

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » October 13th, 2021, 6:17 pm

For real doh beat up

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 13th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Rovin wrote:
Blaze d Chalice wrote:
Rovin wrote:$2 u say , wda , wa kinda piping is that

... ah not saying u lying but if 1 of u tuners cud go takes some pics\video for d rest of us to see\believe ...

dem alone know what kind of economics they doing , how is d size compared to others selling for $5 though ?

doh feel i is a greedy money man for saying this but d way i look at it is u under valuing ur self worth

if everybody else in d country is selling something that is custom hand made to customer liking ex slight chutney medium pepper etc NOT 1 constant thing from a press button machine churning out mass produced items like in china , then why under price & physically work much more harder for same amt of money ... to hand make @ $2 x 50 items = $100 , @ $5 x 20 = $100, or even @ $4 x 25 = $100

if they happy : well i happy for dem , me eh beatin up .... :|

You are basing your assumption that things in Trinidad are priced based on economics. A $2 doubles may in fact be generating a handsome profit but obviously a $5 doubles would generate more. Walmart/Costco etc have food courts all over the world that sell fast food at a much cheaper price than the international brands and yet we don't assume that they are making a lost because of the lower price.

In fact I think costco food court is ranked top 10 in the USA as a pizza chain. Impressive if you consider that they only sell out of their locations. For us to understand their motives we may need to see the cost of their operations. They may very well be more profitable than those selling at $5 a doubles.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 13th, 2021, 6:35 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Redress10 wrote:Zoom

Those cows you have is for dairy or meat?
Meat and some dairy in small quantities.

How many litres a day you get from them on average?

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » October 13th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Allya leave the cows alone let they live their lives nah! Allya wicked boi!

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 13th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Redress10 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:
Redress10 wrote:Zoom

Those cows you have is for dairy or meat?
Meat and some dairy in small quantities.

How many litres a day you get from them on average?
It depends and timing after a calf is born. Normally half bucket to a full bucket.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 13th, 2021, 7:01 pm

zoom rader wrote:Feed de nation , prime creole beef. Some of de stock

20211013_164613.jpg

dem is some healthy looking animals boi zoomie, they looking well bred and properly tended.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 13th, 2021, 7:05 pm

88sins wrote:
zoom rader wrote:Feed de nation , prime creole beef. Some of de stock

20211013_164613.jpg

dem is some healthy looking animals boi zoomie, they looking well bred and properly tended.
Palo Seco Cows, big breed holstern

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 13th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Wraith King wrote:I see people upset about doubles prices. I'm upset as well because doubles should be $10. I don't know who assigned doubles as "the poor man" meal but I don't want that tag associated with it. Doubles is the premium street food.

Supermarket CEO says doubles should be $10

While some people are outraged that several vendors have increased the price of their doubles to $6, the CEO of Maharaj Westside Supermarket says it should be $10.

His comments come after Hassanali’s Green Shed in Debe increased the price of doubles from $5 to $6. A spokesman for Hassanali's refused to explain the price hike.

But citing the rising cost of raw material, Maharaj said the cost of chicken increased, but people were not complaining about the hike in the price of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Speaking on the Aakash Vani Morning Panchayat this morning, Maharaj explained that COVID-19 caused issues for international suppliers of channa, lambs, goats and other items. As a result, the cost of importing goods also went up, leading to increases at supermarkets and eateries.

Maharaj Westside Supermarket is the distributor of Cow Brand Gee in Trinidad and Tobago and usually, around this time, they would have about 20 containers of the product. But because of supply issues, they are without. He said internationally, suppliers, growers and manufacturers have slashed staff, in some cases, by 50 per cent.

Another issue, also reported globally, was the unavailability of shipping containers and cargo ships. It means an order for particular items can take between three to six months to arrived in T&T. Usually, importers would pay between US$2000-US$2500 for a container from Miami, but Maharaj said it is now a minimum of $12,000.

“So at the end of the day when you add up all of that, why are people complaining about a dollar. Doubles should be $10. When they have to get up 2 o’clock in the morning, these poor people and them to make a living. You know chicken gone up, nobody talks about Kentucky gone up,” Maharaj said.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/superma ... e34da4c446

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » October 15th, 2021, 4:51 am

look this morning pay $30 for king fish on the wharf an thats wholesale price. i normally pay from $22-$25 retail for king that i say it will be cheaper on the wharf. i come one day too late as man on the wharf say it gone up today so retail for king might be $40-$50 retail this weekend.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » October 29th, 2021, 2:46 am

Sky-rocketing freight rates will now add to the already high prices of goods initially triggered by global supply chain disruptions.

Freight costs went from US$4,000 for a 40-foot container to US$20,000 per container and without Government intervention, it is the consumer that will have to bear that cost.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley confirmed that Trinidad and Tobago will be impacted by the global supply chain disruptions and clogs and yesterday, members of the food distribution and business sector weighed in on the adverse impact of the bottlenecks, saying there could be higher prices and even difficulty for consumers to access goods.

The diverse group agreed that left unchecked, spiralling freight costs will only add to the already heavy financial burden being placed on the consumer.

Head of the Food Distribution Association, Gerard Conyers, said the Guyanese government waives the increased cost of freight and only collects revenue on the normal and uninflated cost to help ease trickle-down costs to the consumer.

That is not being done here.

Both the head of the T&T Chamber of Industry and Commerce Gabriel Faria and Downtown Owners and Merchants Association head Gregory Aboud, said that freight costs have gone up some 400 per cent in the last year and neither of them could say why.

Aboud added that although empty containers were being returned, the shipping cost was still high.

“The freight rate continued to escalate, there is no logical explanation and also there is no need for any shipping line to charge US$20,000 to bring a container from the Far East to Trinidad. That is an exorbitant rate which is irrational. It doesn’t make any sense,” Aboud said.

Aboud said it was cheaper to fly first-class to Japan than it was costing to bring a container on a boat.

“It just does not compute,” he said.

Aboud said one of the reasons for the high cost could be the slow rate of return because of the clogs at various ports around the world.

“There also seems to be congestion in trans-shipment points at Kingston and Panama, which is going to affect T&T in a more significant way than the congestion in Los Angeles,” he said.

“Another issue developing now that is worrisome for those of us that depend on Asia, which all of us do for supply line components.What use is there in having fabric to sell and no thread to sew it?”

He said there is also a new issue with the fuel supply in China. According to international reports, China has begun rationing diesel because of shortages.

“So first, there was no space on the boat to put your container unless you have US$20,000 in freight, now today what they are saying is there is also no truck to bring it from the factory to the boat because the trucks have no diesel,” he said.

“All of these issues affect the overall cost of operations and also disrupt the supply.”

But despite the overarching issues, Aboud is confident that T&T will be okay.

“By and large, the T&T business community is reasonably well-stocked, that is my opinion,” he said.

As a result of this, Aboud said there was no need for panic.

“I believe there is enough residual merchandise in the country, yes there may be some shortages and maybe there would be some items in scarce supply, but by and large I believe that T&T is reasonably well-stocked,” he said, adding the country should be okay for the next quarter.

Faria said supply chain disruptions are not new and affects everyone. He described the current situation as a “double whammy.”

“We are seeing the commodity themselves go up and we are seeing the freight go up. Freight has gone up, in some instances some 400 per cent,” Faria said.

“I have a hard time rationalising the justification for the increases.

“All the inputs that are moved have an increased cost.”

Faria said while there have been increases in the cost of goods locally, it was nowhere near a 400 per cent mark-up.

Conyers warned that while consumers will be able to access the usual Christmas goods, they must understand that the variety would not be available and the prices would be higher.

He said that COVID-19 had caused shutdowns in the customary supply countries and supply chains have dried up.

“A lot of our foodstuffs comes out of the US, our packaged foods and they themselves are suffering,” he said.

Conyers said that it is not just the Christmas goods affected but good across the board.

“You will get it but you will not get it in the quantities and it would definitely be more expensive and you would not get the range,” he added.

“For the next year, consumers should expect that things they usually buy every week in the supermarket, you might come one week and it wouldn’t be there but it would be there the next week.”

Conyers advised consumers to have patience and called on the Government to expand the list of essential items.

Chief Executive Officer of the American Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Nirad Tewarie, meanwhile said the country is already seeing the impact of those higher prices.

“While companies are taking individual measures to mitigate the impact, we all are already seeing the impact of the increase in prices, as cost for landed finished goods and inputs increase.

“If ever there were a time to pivot and take advantage of initiatives led by organisations such as the IDB and the stated strategy of the US government to encourage nearshoring, it’s now,” Tewarie said.

He added, “Our Government should work with the private sector to aggressively eliminate the barriers to attracting investment as companies bring production and jobs back to this hemisphere.

“Finally, the importance of continuing the reforms at Customs to reduce the time taken to clear goods cannot be underscored. We appreciate the work already being done by Customs and look forward to expanding the trusted trader or voluntary compliance programme underpinned by a fully electronic clearance system, as promised by the Minister of Finance in his budget presentation.”

Gas suppliers confirmed and secure

Meanwhile, Paria Fuel Trading Company chairman Newman George sought to dispel any concerns about a fuel shortage based on the supply chain bottlenecks.

George said he held a meeting yesterday with the suppliers to get the assurance that the local supply of fuel would not be affected.

“So far, we have not been affected and we do not foresee being affected based on assurances from our suppliers,” he said.

George said T&T’s fuel suppliers have the “ability and flexibility” to get fuel from various sources.

“I hasten to add that only today (yesterday) we met with our suppliers, who reconfirmed that our supplies are not expected to be affected,” George said.

And while that is welcome news, it may be the only bright spot.

TTMA: exporters can’t source shipping containers

Head of the T&T Manufacturers’ Association (TTMA) Tricia Coosal said while exports have not been significantly affected, some companies have experienced difficulty getting containers for exports.

“Since manufacturers require that their goods are exported in a timely manner and there is a shortage of containers, some manufacturers have experienced increased costs to ensure that the products are exported on time for fear of losing their customers,” Coosal said.

But that is not the only challenge for manufacturers.

“The increased costs per container (20 foot or 40 foot) require additional access to USD by the local manufacturers (since shipping lines are requiring that the charges are paid in USD).

“Furthermore, it requires manufacturers to review their inventory management processes, to ensure that enough raw materials are always available and that there is enough inventory for export to their customers.”

She added, “These reviews of their logistics is especially important now, since there tends to be an increase in the volume of imports (and exports) during November and December. These disruptions, coupled with the checks and balances by the various Government agencies (including Customs and Excise Division), can inadvertently increase costs (e.g. increased port rent and demurrage) to the manufacturer.”

Head of the T&T Shipping Association Hayden Alleyne yesterday told Guardian Media he was unavailable and would speak to the issue today.

Tagged in:

price increase coming for christmas goodies and shaft for 2022 with no vasaline cause price gone up. might have to use np 50 body.

everything imported from fruits to frozen foods to raw materials such as cloth and thread. vegetable seeds and chemicals also imported to spray cans and pumps. we gone tru yes.
went to the hardware yesterday to buy a sheet of sheet metal and they have none in stock and dont know when they will get cause the supplier out of stock. lord have mercy on TT.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 29th, 2021, 3:08 am

daring dragoon wrote:
Sky-rocketing freight rates will now add to the already high prices of goods initially triggered by global supply chain disruptions.

Freight costs went from US$4,000 for a 40-foot container to US$20,000 per container and without Government intervention, it is the consumer that will have to bear that cost.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley confirmed that Trinidad and Tobago will be impacted by the global supply chain disruptions and clogs and yesterday, members of the food distribution and business sector weighed in on the adverse impact of the bottlenecks, saying there could be higher prices and even difficulty for consumers to access goods.

The diverse group agreed that left unchecked, spiralling freight costs will only add to the already heavy financial burden being placed on the consumer.

Head of the Food Distribution Association, Gerard Conyers, said the Guyanese government waives the increased cost of freight and only collects revenue on the normal and uninflated cost to help ease trickle-down costs to the consumer.

That is not being done here.

Both the head of the T&T Chamber of Industry and Commerce Gabriel Faria and Downtown Owners and Merchants Association head Gregory Aboud, said that freight costs have gone up some 400 per cent in the last year and neither of them could say why.

Aboud added that although empty containers were being returned, the shipping cost was still high.

“The freight rate continued to escalate, there is no logical explanation and also there is no need for any shipping line to charge US$20,000 to bring a container from the Far East to Trinidad. That is an exorbitant rate which is irrational. It doesn’t make any sense,” Aboud said.

Aboud said it was cheaper to fly first-class to Japan than it was costing to bring a container on a boat.

“It just does not compute,” he said.

Aboud said one of the reasons for the high cost could be the slow rate of return because of the clogs at various ports around the world.

“There also seems to be congestion in trans-shipment points at Kingston and Panama, which is going to affect T&T in a more significant way than the congestion in Los Angeles,” he said.

“Another issue developing now that is worrisome for those of us that depend on Asia, which all of us do for supply line components.What use is there in having fabric to sell and no thread to sew it?”

He said there is also a new issue with the fuel supply in China. According to international reports, China has begun rationing diesel because of shortages.

“So first, there was no space on the boat to put your container unless you have US$20,000 in freight, now today what they are saying is there is also no truck to bring it from the factory to the boat because the trucks have no diesel,” he said.

“All of these issues affect the overall cost of operations and also disrupt the supply.”

But despite the overarching issues, Aboud is confident that T&T will be okay.

“By and large, the T&T business community is reasonably well-stocked, that is my opinion,” he said.

As a result of this, Aboud said there was no need for panic.

“I believe there is enough residual merchandise in the country, yes there may be some shortages and maybe there would be some items in scarce supply, but by and large I believe that T&T is reasonably well-stocked,” he said, adding the country should be okay for the next quarter.

Faria said supply chain disruptions are not new and affects everyone. He described the current situation as a “double whammy.”

“We are seeing the commodity themselves go up and we are seeing the freight go up. Freight has gone up, in some instances some 400 per cent,” Faria said.

“I have a hard time rationalising the justification for the increases.

“All the inputs that are moved have an increased cost.”

Faria said while there have been increases in the cost of goods locally, it was nowhere near a 400 per cent mark-up.

Conyers warned that while consumers will be able to access the usual Christmas goods, they must understand that the variety would not be available and the prices would be higher.

He said that COVID-19 had caused shutdowns in the customary supply countries and supply chains have dried up.

“A lot of our foodstuffs comes out of the US, our packaged foods and they themselves are suffering,” he said.

Conyers said that it is not just the Christmas goods affected but good across the board.

“You will get it but you will not get it in the quantities and it would definitely be more expensive and you would not get the range,” he added.

“For the next year, consumers should expect that things they usually buy every week in the supermarket, you might come one week and it wouldn’t be there but it would be there the next week.”

Conyers advised consumers to have patience and called on the Government to expand the list of essential items.

Chief Executive Officer of the American Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Nirad Tewarie, meanwhile said the country is already seeing the impact of those higher prices.

“While companies are taking individual measures to mitigate the impact, we all are already seeing the impact of the increase in prices, as cost for landed finished goods and inputs increase.

“If ever there were a time to pivot and take advantage of initiatives led by organisations such as the IDB and the stated strategy of the US government to encourage nearshoring, it’s now,” Tewarie said.

He added, “Our Government should work with the private sector to aggressively eliminate the barriers to attracting investment as companies bring production and jobs back to this hemisphere.

“Finally, the importance of continuing the reforms at Customs to reduce the time taken to clear goods cannot be underscored. We appreciate the work already being done by Customs and look forward to expanding the trusted trader or voluntary compliance programme underpinned by a fully electronic clearance system, as promised by the Minister of Finance in his budget presentation.”

Gas suppliers confirmed and secure

Meanwhile, Paria Fuel Trading Company chairman Newman George sought to dispel any concerns about a fuel shortage based on the supply chain bottlenecks.

George said he held a meeting yesterday with the suppliers to get the assurance that the local supply of fuel would not be affected.

“So far, we have not been affected and we do not foresee being affected based on assurances from our suppliers,” he said.

George said T&T’s fuel suppliers have the “ability and flexibility” to get fuel from various sources.

“I hasten to add that only today (yesterday) we met with our suppliers, who reconfirmed that our supplies are not expected to be affected,” George said.

And while that is welcome news, it may be the only bright spot.

TTMA: exporters can’t source shipping containers

Head of the T&T Manufacturers’ Association (TTMA) Tricia Coosal said while exports have not been significantly affected, some companies have experienced difficulty getting containers for exports.

“Since manufacturers require that their goods are exported in a timely manner and there is a shortage of containers, some manufacturers have experienced increased costs to ensure that the products are exported on time for fear of losing their customers,” Coosal said.

But that is not the only challenge for manufacturers.

“The increased costs per container (20 foot or 40 foot) require additional access to USD by the local manufacturers (since shipping lines are requiring that the charges are paid in USD).

“Furthermore, it requires manufacturers to review their inventory management processes, to ensure that enough raw materials are always available and that there is enough inventory for export to their customers.”

She added, “These reviews of their logistics is especially important now, since there tends to be an increase in the volume of imports (and exports) during November and December. These disruptions, coupled with the checks and balances by the various Government agencies (including Customs and Excise Division), can inadvertently increase costs (e.g. increased port rent and demurrage) to the manufacturer.”

Head of the T&T Shipping Association Hayden Alleyne yesterday told Guardian Media he was unavailable and would speak to the issue today.

Tagged in:

price increase coming for christmas goodies and shaft for 2022 with no vasaline cause price gone up. might have to use np 50 body.

everything imported from fruits to frozen foods to raw materials such as cloth and thread. vegetable seeds and chemicals also imported to spray cans and pumps. we gone tru yes.
went to the hardware yesterday to buy a sheet of sheet metal and they have none in stock and dont know when they will get cause the supplier out of stock. lord have mercy on TT.
Happening globally bro, trinis will buy like normal similar to the cement issue when the price tripled,l due to shortages.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » October 29th, 2021, 3:23 am

true but poor management have we under more pressure with example of lack of USD will make prices higher. lack of vision will keep we barefoot and pregnant. guyana markets looks like TT in 90;s with foreign fruits laid out looking all pretty. groceries full and foreign used cars booming. that is proper management.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 29th, 2021, 5:18 am

Prices gonna be banging this weekend and early next week

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 29th, 2021, 6:08 am

Friends,

This too shall pass, God is a trini always remember that

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » October 29th, 2021, 6:18 am

daring dragoon wrote:true but poor management have we under more pressure with example of lack of USD will make prices higher. lack of vision will keep we barefoot and pregnant. guyana markets looks like TT in 90;s with foreign fruits laid out looking all pretty. groceries full and foreign used cars booming. that is proper management.

It’s just a cycle. It’s only proper management if Guyana diversifies. They really just experiencing what we had at a later stage. Bets are they will make the same mistakes.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 29th, 2021, 6:24 am

j.o.e wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:true but poor management have we under more pressure with example of lack of USD will make prices higher. lack of vision will keep we barefoot and pregnant. guyana markets looks like TT in 90;s with foreign fruits laid out looking all pretty. groceries full and foreign used cars booming. that is proper management.

It’s just a cycle. It’s only proper management if Guyana diversifies. They really just experiencing what we had at a later stage. Bets are they will make the same mistakes.
Highly doubt it, nobody have corrupt public officials like us, they're a natural over here and a different breed from the rest

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » October 29th, 2021, 7:24 am

hover11 wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

Highly doubt it, nobody have corrupt public officials like us, they're a natural over here and a different breed from the rest

Clearly you’ve never been to Guyana or done business there. Trinis still hide to bribe. Bribing is even more of Guyanese culture.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 29th, 2021, 7:46 am

meats in north america have already gone up, but not here yet
surely new stocks this month for xmas will see higher prices for those with fancy meat tastes

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 29th, 2021, 9:43 am

pugboy wrote:meats in north america have already gone up, but not here yet
surely new stocks this month for xmas will see higher prices for those with fancy meat tastes

Why would you buy meats from america with everything we know about their use of anti biotics and enhanced growth hormones etc.

Meats from america aren't even sold in the EU/UK. Stop importing and comsuming garbage.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 29th, 2021, 10:52 am

pugboy wrote:meats in north america have already gone up, but not here yet

Wild meat local :drinking:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”