TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Adding Ice Cubes softens the toughness of meat while it's cooking ? ...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Adding Ice Cubes softens the toughness of meat while it's cooking ? ...

Postby Rovin » September 18th, 2021, 6:44 pm

i see this on fb & wondering if yall know\heard of this ?

read d comments
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=20 ... 4191394154

i will post my opinion after as not to influence yall posts ... :|

0264891d-9eed-49dd-a29d-33df77b459b9.jpg
Last edited by Rovin on September 18th, 2021, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: Ice Cubes softens the toughness of meat while its cooking ? ...

Postby nick639v2 » September 18th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Ice drops the temperature in the pot, causing it to take longer to come back to a boil.. same reason u just add a little bit of water when the meat hard and it bubbling.. end result the meat gets cooked more..

I never use ice but I does add stock or even the usual water in the bowl u season the meat in

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 18th, 2021, 7:02 pm

tried this with some exlayers years ago when pot was on 2 hours and still tough, woft

meat structure toughness is due to the collagen proteins
breaking down collagen requires time and temperature, not ice or reducing temp with ice.
maybe the ice adds moisture to a drying pot but nothing else.

bamfo_dennis
Sweet on this forum

Postby bamfo_dennis » September 18th, 2021, 7:07 pm

somebody call Alain Ducasse and Gordon Ramsay and tell them about this new technique plz. Never use a pressure cooker again.

imagine marridin ah gyul dis s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶ genius nah.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » September 18th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Heard about using papaya leaf stuck to the cover, which has some credence in terms of papain content, not too sure about the application and have never tried it though..

bamfo_dennis
Sweet on this forum

Postby bamfo_dennis » September 18th, 2021, 7:18 pm

green pawpaw is a well known meat tenderizer like pineapple so the leaf go be similar. ppl use the dry power pawpaw leaf for hard fowl n beef shoulder.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 18th, 2021, 7:39 pm

pineapple too

the easiest to use is baking soda which is what chinese restaurants use to soften up the cheap local beef
however it kinda makes the beef tasteless and if too much is used has a slight bitterness.

meccalli wrote:Heard about using papaya leaf stuck to the cover, which has some credence in terms of papain content, not too sure about the application and have never tried it though..

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » September 18th, 2021, 7:42 pm

pugboy wrote:pineapple too

the easiest to use is baking soda which is what chinese restaurants use to soften up the cheap local beef
however it kinda makes the beef tasteless and if too much is used has a slight bitterness.

meccalli wrote:Heard about using papaya leaf stuck to the cover, which has some credence in terms of papain content, not too sure about the application and have never tried it though..

Yeahh, it's called velveting. Has a unique texture, but it does work well.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 18th, 2021, 7:51 pm

it doesnt break down the tough sinew fibers in beef very well though
so sometimes you get a soft spongy piece of beef with stringy bits inside when you bite into it.

meccalli wrote:
pugboy wrote:pineapple too

Yeahh, it's called velveting. Has a unique texture, but it does work well.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » September 18th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Freezing meat can probably loosen up meat tbh

Because the ice crystals basically stab the cells and make them burst.

But ice cubes in a hot pot aint doing one arse. Would just decrease the temperature temporarily to basically slow cook the meat.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 18th, 2021, 9:52 pm

see this is why i posted this here cause i know tuner has intelligent ppl on it, some ppl does see others doing something & follow without thinking logically

water whether in liquid or solid form doesnt contain any tenderizing agents in it so i agree with all of u , d ice is simply lowering d temp & when it melts is gradually adding in water to keep d meat from drying out while it cooks slow n low for longer ... d longer cooking process is what is really tenderizing d meat

DMan7
punchin NOS

Re: Adding Ice Cubes softens the toughness of meat while its cooking ? ...

Postby DMan7 » September 18th, 2021, 9:57 pm

You have to cook the meat with rocks in the pot, the rocks help tenderize the meat.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 18th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Rovin wrote:see this is why i posted this here cause i know tuner has intelligent ppl on it, some ppl does see others doing something & follow without thinking logically

water whether in liquid or solid form doesnt contain any tenderizing agents in it so i agree with all of u , d ice is simply lowering d temp & when it melts is gradually adding in water to keep d meat from drying out while it cooks slow n low for longer ... d longer cooking process is what is really tenderizing d meat
Not really lowering thr temp, cause the higher thr temp thr faster the fibwres break apart... Thr principle beind pressure cooking.

Thr lower temps of gradually melting ice would be insignificant, and when compared to the overall cooling effect of adding a big heap of cold water, then to wait. For it to get back up to boiling then to resume the cooking. The slower melting and gradual addition to thr pot will let the majority of thr water stay at thr hot temps longer.

Could get thr same effect as adding already boiling water to x off.

Me, and I just pelt it on thr pressure cooker and call that George.

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » September 18th, 2021, 11:33 pm

pressure cooker problem solved, would soften any tough wild/ meat

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 19th, 2021, 12:47 am

Baking powder...yea....kinda like the reason why yuh soak yuh channa over night in baking powder too

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » September 19th, 2021, 1:39 am

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 19th, 2021, 7:14 am

Coke used to be a staple in my barbeque.
Since I started brining meat,the whole game has changed.That brining tenderises the meat in a really good way.We add leftover pickle juice to the brine sometimes as well.
1tblsp of salt to a regular coffee cup of water is the ratio I use.Works wonders on poultry and lamb.Dont use on seafood because it will get too mushy.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 19th, 2021, 7:17 am

it is quite likely somebody was cooking some hard fowl or duck and was taking long so they added ice cubes to add more liquid and just about that timing is when the meat started to soften.
hence the linking of the ice cubes as magic method
aka anecdotal evidence

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 19th, 2021, 7:26 am

Best way to tenderize is low and slow
Pressure cooker adds a weird taste to curry imo

If i have to use it...first i pressure cook the meat for a little with some salt

Then curry it after after and let it cook till its tender

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 19th, 2021, 8:30 am

X_Factor wrote:Best way to tenderize is low and slow
Pressure cooker adds a weird taste to curry imo

If i have to use it...first i pressure cook the meat for a little with some salt

Then curry it after after and let it cook till its tender
That is right. Some different chemical reactions happen at thr higher temps than the lower temp. Low and slow will taste better.

But I can't cook so well, so I not missing out much by using the pressure cooker.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 19th, 2021, 10:45 am

Surprised nobody mentioned the old wives tale of dropping a rusty nail in d pot

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 19th, 2021, 11:19 am

88sins wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned the old wives tale of dropping a rusty nail in d pot

i think most of us know about nail in tree but i never hear dat 1 - do tell us ...

snatman
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snatman » September 19th, 2021, 11:25 am

For tough cuts of meat regular baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) could be your best friend or worst enemy.

This works for meat that cut into small pieces.

You add a teaspoon of baking soda to a cup of warm water, stir and add to 2lbs of meat.

Mix it in into the meat by hand for about 3-4 minutes.

You then dump the meat into a colander and fully rinse it to get rid of all remnants of the baking soda.

This softens the muscle protein, but not the fat.

Leave it too long and you could end up with a disaster.

Try it, post results.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » September 19th, 2021, 11:32 am

gonna tenderize my meat tonight

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » September 19th, 2021, 11:50 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:gonna tenderize my meat tonight
Try it with ice

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » September 19th, 2021, 11:50 am

Its RAWWWWWW!

bamfo_dennis
Sweet on this forum

Postby bamfo_dennis » September 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Rovin wrote:
88sins wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned the old wives tale of dropping a rusty nail in d pot

i think most of us know about nail in tree but i never hear dat 1 - do tell us ...

Nail Soup: A Swedish Folk Tale

There once was a traveler that came to small village carrying nothing but the ragged clothes on his back and bent rusty nail. The villagers tried to run him out of town saying that he was going to steal from them. “Oh no, I was coming to share some nail soup with you. All I need is a pot filled with water and I’ll make some soup to be enjoyed by all,” he said. One curious villager brought him a pot filled with water.

The traveler built a fire and got his rusty nail out of his pocket and dropped it in the pot. Soon the villagers started gathering around to see what nail soup was. After a while, the traveler tasted the soup and said, “If only I had some onions, that would really make the soup wonderful.” One of the villagers ran to grab a couple of onions. After adding the onions and cooking the soup for a while, he tasted it again and said, “If I only had a few carrots and maybe some peas, then the soup would be so much better.” Another villager ran to get a few carrots and another got some peas.

The stranger kept tasting the soup and each time he’d mention something else that would make the soup “just right” and each time a villager would run and get that item for the soup. After a while the pot was bubbling with the best smelling soup the villagers had ever smelled.

The traveler fished out his nail, wrapped it in a handkerchief and put it back in his pocket. Then he served up the stew to all the villagers, it was the most wonderful stew they had ever tasted. They were very impressed with the Nail Soup, although they could never replicate the recipe themselves.

You can realize that the nail is the same as the ice... it really does nothing but people ignore all the other things that went into the pot to make up the whole and final product. Just like how some people believe that the covid vaccine causes swollen balls, while ignoring everything else that was wrong before and other more likely causes. It's a very old folk tale for a reason.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 19th, 2021, 1:06 pm

from d instant i read where i highlighted d bold part i already knew what was going to happen

some old tales have certain truth & wisdom in it eh but some is taken as being magical by not very bright gullible ppl ...

bamfo_dennis wrote:
Rovin wrote:

Nail Soup: A Swedish Folk Tale

There once was a traveler that came to small village carrying nothing but the ragged clothes on his back and bent rusty nail. The villagers tried to run him out of town saying that he was going to steal from them. “Oh no, I was coming to share some nail soup with you. All I need is a pot filled with water and I’ll make some soup to be enjoyed by all,” he said. One curious villager brought him a pot filled with water.

The traveler built a fire and got his rusty nail out of his pocket and dropped it in the pot. Soon the villagers started gathering around to see what nail soup was. After a while, the traveler tasted the soup and said, “If only I had some onions, that would really make the soup wonderful.” One of the villagers ran to grab a couple of onions. After adding the onions and cooking the soup for a while, he tasted it again and said, “If I only had a few carrots and maybe some peas, then the soup would be so much better.” Another villager ran to get a few carrots and another got some peas.

The stranger kept tasting the soup and each time he’d mention something else that would make the soup “just right” and each time a villager would run and get that item for the soup. After a while the pot was bubbling with the best smelling soup the villagers had ever smelled.

The traveler fished out his nail, wrapped it in a handkerchief and put it back in his pocket. Then he served up the stew to all the villagers, it was the most wonderful stew they had ever tasted. They were very impressed with the Nail Soup, although they could never replicate the recipe themselves.

You can realize that the nail is the same as the ice... it really does nothing but people ignore all the other things that went into the pot to make up the whole and final product. Just like how some people believe that the covid vaccine causes swollen balls, while ignoring everything else that was wrong before and other more likely causes. It's a very old folk tale for a reason.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 20th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Found this online bit have to pay to get the full paper... I know there is a sceintific reason, but not too sure of the details.

Question:
Why do some cooks put ice in the pot to cook meat? Explain and prove also your answer by solution.

Flow of Heat Energy
Ice is the solid form of water that is formed when the water drops down the freezing point on the Celsius temperature scale. The ice can only change into the water when it gains some heat energy which would be equivalent to the latent heat of fusion (of water). The heat energy is to be provided externally in order to melt the ice.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”