Using Windows 11?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Using Windows 11?

Postby FrankChag » November 26th, 2021, 7:32 am

Anyone using Win11? Anyone enjoying it?

I upgraded one of my daily driver laptops, and am regretting it constantly. My kids are i-told-you-so'ing me.
Except for the new notepad icon, and the calculator pin-to-top feature, not seeing any real benefit.
The graphical improvements are like a janky linux distro.

The most frustrating thing is with the right-click context menu.. a whole extra click to 'show more options' to unzip files.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Re: Using Windows 11?

Postby DMan7 » November 26th, 2021, 7:37 am

It's working well, faster than Windows 10 from my usage so far.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » November 26th, 2021, 7:48 am

I upgraded just because. I hardly use a pc now so no real difference... potato potato

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 26th, 2021, 4:13 pm

I got the free upgrade too and regretted it. We might have another ME, Vista and 8 on our hands here. 98, XP and 7 were the glory days and 10 to some extent.

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 27th, 2021, 10:43 am

Apart from the gimped start menu, I did a fresh install and it is very fast. It's basically windows 10 with a face-lift. I recommend a fresh install as the upgraded install I had before had a couple small issues.

For the right click menu and other useful mods check out winaero tweaker.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on November 27th, 2021, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » November 27th, 2021, 10:51 am

I regretted my install of it. My CPU shown a 5-8 degree increase along with bad CPU utilisation. And I'm running a ryzen 5800x so it's no slouch.. my 3070 idle temps are slightly increased as well...

Thank God I have a Windows 10 os on another drive

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » November 27th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Rocking my Windows 7 going strong.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 27th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Downloaded it on my hp , seems pointless to me not much of a difference, 2tb pc still moves fast with or without it

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » November 27th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Gonna wait till this OS matures some more it has alot of optimizations for the new Intel 12th gen chips ... also some issues being reported ... makes no sense running to install it on anything but the latest hardware as other posters says doesnt offer much more than win10.

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 27th, 2021, 1:11 pm

It's been tested to perform better than windows 10 in some games as well. Performance like butter on my system. 5800h, 3080, 1tb nvme and 16gb ram.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » November 27th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Move to a mac guys, Windows is just so inefficient in comparison.

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 27th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Move to a mac guys, Windows is just so inefficient in comparison.
Lol what a troll

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » November 27th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Troll or not, it's fact. Lol I only switched cuz my pockets be struggling last couple years

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 27th, 2021, 5:10 pm

I have to respect Microsoft for being able to support such a wide variety of hardware configs and still have great performance on most of them.

Apple has compete control of hardware and software pairing on a handful of different models so I'm much less impressed with them, especially since they haven't figured out how to properly support gaming

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » November 27th, 2021, 6:49 pm

^Have you tried a stable linux distro? Anyways, the apple m1's are definitely wicked.
Honestly looking fwd to the day I can cutover to linux cleanly. And IMO, some of them are nicer than macos.
All the kids can use Linux now, and they actually think it's cooler than windows.
So Windows days are numbered for me, especially with this experience.

This laptops's a Ryzen 9 5900HS with a 3070, and 24GB RAM.
I upgraded from Win10, and the desktop was crashing, so I panicked and did a clean Win11 install.

Honestly, it was butter before and it's butter now, which is good I guess. I was worried about some chatter about ryzen issues with Win11, but experienced none of that.. The heaviest game I have installed rn is Forza 4, and it runs normal on all ultra. Didnt see any particular spike in thermals either, but then I don't monitor that very closely.

On the productivity side though, which is what I use this machine most for (data analysis, large files, etc), the little UI crappiness annoys me the most.

And Linus just isn't helping...

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » November 28th, 2021, 10:33 am

FrankChag wrote:^Have you tried a stable linux distro? Anyways, the apple m1's are definitely wicked.
Honestly looking fwd to the day I can cutover to linux cleanly. And IMO, some of them are nicer than macos.
All the kids can use Linux now, and they actually think it's cooler than windows.

I upgraded from Win10, and the desktop was crashing, so I panicked and did a clean Win11 install.

Honestly, it was butter before and it's butter now, which is good I guess. I was worried about some chatter about ryzen issues with Win11, but experienced none of that.. The heaviest game I have installed rn is Forza 4, and it runs normal on all ultra. Didnt see any particular spike in thermals either, but then I don't monitor that very closely.

On the productivity side though, which is what I use this machine most for (data analysis, large files, etc), the little UI crappiness annoys me the most.

I use all 3 (well haven't upgraded to Win11 yet) OSes. MacOS for most of my work. Because I need CUDA, I have a workstation with an NVIDA GPU running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, that system is also dualboot with Win10 (use it for gaming mainly).

I've been a Windows user for decades, and only a MacOS user in the last 3 years, but I can tell you without a doubt MacOS is just so much more superior in terms of productivity. The trackpad gestures, switching desktops having far lass crashs and malware to deal with, it's just a God send.

This doesn't even start with how great some MacOS software is. My desktop has better specs, yet software like Keynote can open a 1000 slide presentation deck without missing a beat. Try that in powerpoint and it'll bring your system to a crawl.

Final Cut is another tool that is worth it's weight in gold for Mac users.

And if you're a developer Mac is even better, having a bash terminal and support for basically all developer libraries via brew and brew cask, it's no surprise the majority of Silicon valley is using Macs for coding.

I'm not hating on Windows, Windows has so much legacy sheit to support and can't change it's UI drastically as it would alienate so many non pro users. It's a hard position to be in.

But if you're a pro user (who doesn't need to game or use CUDA) Mac is a great alternative.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » November 28th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Very convincing, thanks
was looking fwd to a framework running manjaro kde, but will defn consider a mac pro, esp with these new M1 chips

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 28th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
FrankChag wrote:^Have you tried a stable linux distro? Anyways, the apple m1's are definitely wicked.

I use all 3 (well haven't upgraded to Win11 yet) OSes. MacOS for most of my work. Because I need CUDA, I have a workstation with an NVIDA GPU running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, that system is also dualboot with Win10 (use it for gaming mainly).

I've been a Windows user for decades, and only a MacOS user in the last 3 years, but I can tell you without a doubt MacOS is just so much more superior in terms of productivity. The trackpad gestures, switching desktops having far lass crashs and malware to deal with, it's just a God send.

This doesn't even start with how great some MacOS software is. My desktop has better specs, yet software like Keynote can open a 1000 slide presentation deck without missing a beat. Try that in powerpoint and it'll bring your system to a crawl.

And if you're a developer Mac is even better, having a bash terminal and support for basically all developer libraries via brew and brew cask, it's no surprise the majority of Silicon valley is using Macs for coding.

I'm not hating on Windows, Windows has so much legacy sheit to support and can't change it's UI drastically as it would alienate so many non pro users. It's a hard position to be in.

But if you're a pro user (who doesn't need to game or use CUDA) Mac is a great alternative.

i've always heard how productive Macs are over windows desktops. but to each their own. i just find Apple insults their customers with high prices with alright specs but i figure they think to themselves as a 'premium' product.

Windows 11 doesnt look that innovative but i do like that overlay that pops up with stuff on the screen when you move the mouse to one side.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » November 29th, 2021, 1:02 pm

st7 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

i've always heard how productive Macs are over windows desktops. but to each their own. i just find Apple insults their customers with high prices with alright specs but i figure they think to themselves as a 'premium' product.

Windows 11 doesnt look that innovative but i do like that overlay that pops up with stuff on the screen when you move the mouse to one side.
High prices sure, But longevity is unmatched... My 2013 mbp still runs like a beast! The battery is the only thing that needed replacing before I donated it. That's a 8 year old MacBook and it's living it's life strong as a dual boot machine to this day. Gen 1 iPad home here still liquid smooth too... Worth it I say

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » September 6th, 2022, 7:35 pm

upgraded the hardware on my computer and was able to install Windows 11 today. it took about 5 minutes to reboot and install.

after 10 minutes of using it, i rolled back to Windows 10. not a fan in the lack of customization i can do

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”