Residential Generators

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Residential Generators

Postby Chimera » February 20th, 2022, 10:16 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:People who living in 2nd story and up apartments kind of screwed when it come to this eh.

Can't use generator
Have to tote water up stairs because tanks does be on the ground.
Can't even run inverter from their cars.

Inverter generators quiet but more expensive. Small footprint too.
Will be able to get some convenience, which is better than nothing
Must have some kind of balcony or outdoor area to out the generator though.

Generator fumes could kill yuh quick

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 20th, 2022, 11:11 pm

pugboy wrote:plenty ppl done forget this episode and ain’t able with spending the money for backup

supercharged turbo wrote:Now is the opportune time to make that money

That’s the mistake I made last time. Still looking at options but I’ll make the investment.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 21st, 2022, 1:56 am

IMG_5350.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG

Saw those online, dunno if it will appeal to anyone itt. To add to what PS mentioned, he is very correct.

When you purchase your generator, make sure the unit remains outside and that the exhaust faces away from the house or downwind, which would carry the fumes past the house and not to the house. The carbon monoxide can enter the house and kill you silently. Make sure you have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector installed just in case you have any ocd concerns.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2022, 5:36 am

that small one seems to be same as the pulsar 2stroke one

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 21st, 2022, 6:34 am

Very similar, but not identical.
I would not be surprised if they are both manufactured by the same company and a fee small variations made for the ingco brand.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 21st, 2022, 8:59 am

Really nice to see so many options available!

So far the price mart unit seems to be the best bang for buck @ 3400TTD

5.000 Starting Watts, 4.250 Running Watts, 223cc Manual Start Engine, Run Time: 9 hrs, AC Load: 120/240V.
Unless they have their models screwed up, this one also has AVR which is good for sensitive electronics (in case you need that)

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2022, 9:03 am

i prob will buy that one

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 21st, 2022, 9:04 am

agent007 wrote:IMG_5350.JPGIMG_5351.JPG
Saw those online, dunno if it will appeal to anyone itt. To add to what PS mentioned, he is very correct.

When you purchase your generator, make sure the unit remains outside and that the exhaust faces away from the house or downwind, which would carry the fumes past the house and not to the house. The carbon monoxide can enter the house and kill you silently. Make sure you have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector installed just in case you have any ocd concerns.

Excellent point. My intended location approx 20 feet from the nearest open door/window. Just outside my garage.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 21st, 2022, 9:11 am

Check out one or two repair shops and ask them for a suggestion for a brand or watch and see what brands are mostly there for a repair.

Those cheaper pricesmart generators by the dozen in repair shops all over.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 21st, 2022, 9:16 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Check out one or two repair shops and ask them for a suggestion for a brand or watch and see what brands are mostly there for a repair.

Those cheaper pricesmart generators by the dozen in repair shops all over.

oooh, good point
Anyone knows repair shops to get this info for the thread? I don't know anyone.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 21st, 2022, 9:18 am

Walk in any repair shop in your area and ask them....
Whatever brand you decide on....walk in the shop and tell them you buy one of that 6 months ago and it not starting and if they could repair it.
You will hear the list of complaints

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Residential Generators

Postby MaxPower » February 21st, 2022, 9:24 am

Kenjo wrote:So men can’t bathe with a bucket and pan ? In a national disaster men studying shower yes . Thank goodness COVID was a virus and we didn’t have to face an actual war

Trinis asses too blasted happy.

One lil power outage and the whole nation traumatized.

Trinis continue to waste water, waste electricity and have NO regard for the environment.

Oh dey business get affected and bla bla.
HOW many businesses and lives were affected by these same Trinis that crying who were NOT following the protocols resulting in restrictions that affected the entire economy?

Steups it good for allyuh yes.

When Trinis think they have it hard…..

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 21st, 2022, 9:30 am

A important thing is maintenence eh.
Generators usually packed down for a long time and you only bring it out when needed.

Make sure to empty out the old gas as it does degrade and sludge up.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » February 21st, 2022, 11:41 am

Might sound foolish, but an honest question related to those dual fuel generators, for which it was said LPG can be substituted for propane...

Can the small regulators typically used on the 20lb lpg tanks be used on a 100lb lpg tank?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2022, 11:55 am

dredman1 wrote:Might sound foolish, but an honest question related to those dual fuel generators, for which it was said LPG can be substituted for propane...

Can the small regulators typically used on the 20lb lpg tanks be used on a 100lb lpg tank?

LPG contains propane, butane and other gases. In countries that burn both, the gases are interchangeable - until cold weather arrives.

You CAN NOT use the push collar regulator from a 20 lb (small cooking gas) LPG tank on a 100 lb LPG tank. You also need a higher regulated pressure to run an engine than what you will get from the typical cook stove regulator.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » February 21st, 2022, 12:35 pm

adnj wrote:
dredman1 wrote:Might sound foolish, but an honest question related to those dual fuel generators, for which it was said LPG can be substituted for propane...

LPG contains propane, butane and other gases. In countries that burn both, the gases are interchangeable - until cold weather arrives.

You CAN NOT use the push collar regulator from a 20 lb (small cooking gas) LPG tank on a 100 lb LPG tank. You also need a higher regulated pressure to run an engine than what you will get from the typical cook stove regulator.

So what sort of regulator (if any) would be used to run these dual fuel generators with a 20lb lpg tank?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 21st, 2022, 12:38 pm

Aye PS friend 3 friends have those pulsar 1200w u got... All with a very minor problem that easy to sort but they work the hell out of them and ting strong.. Just change the spark plug(I'll get replacement ngk model for u later)

It comes with a Chinese crappy spark plug that fails early said they went ngk and been workhorse since

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » February 21st, 2022, 12:51 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:A important thing is maintenence eh.
Generators usually packed down for a long time and you only bring it out when needed.

Make sure to empty out the old gas as it does degrade and sludge up.
I now going to type this. Make sure to drain all fuel from the tank and run it till it run out of fuel or you go cry the next time you try to use it. Some people spray wd40 into the carb before putting it away to keep things lubricated until the next time

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2022, 1:09 pm

most of the better ones have a fuel lock off valve between tank and carb
so just lock that and let engine run dry
you can use additive stabil to keep gas good for a long time

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2022, 8:35 pm

dredman1 wrote:
adnj wrote:

So what sort of regulator (if any) would be used to run these dual fuel generators with a 20lb lpg tank?
You will need to find the required LPG inlet pressure for the carburetion system. Cooking appliance use 20 mbar (0.3 psi) inlet pressure. Engines use more. You can find the adjustable realtor that will give you up to 2 bar (29 psi).

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2022, 8:37 pm

amazon has adjustable regs in variety of pressures with gauge so you can have idea what to keep it at

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 21st, 2022, 9:57 pm

pugboy wrote:most of the better ones have a fuel lock off valve between tank and carb
so just lock that and let engine run dry
you can use additive stabil to keep gas good for a long time

even the cheap pulsar one i have has a fuel lock off

i don't know how other generators are but i really forgot how to start the pulsar and then i realize it has signs and stickers EVERYWHERE on the machine itself with step by step instructions on how to start

by the fuel tank it mark "50:1" gas mixture
by the fuel lock off valve it has a sticker showing which way is on and which way is off
by the power switch it have a sign saying which is off and on
and then a long sticker with full instructions on how to start it

where to position choke, fuel valve etc

good for dummies like me

i throw pure unleaded gas in it first and it was starting and cutting off..then i realize the big "50:1" sign lol

TK!
Riding on 18's

Postby TK! » February 22nd, 2022, 1:56 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:So splitting this discussion from any TTEC thread, simply because I think we're at a point where some of us need to consider having an emergency home generator for ANY unforeseen events.

(Isolated, not mains connected)

Island wide power failures
Localised power failures
Hurricanes
Earthquakes
etc

If 12 hours had us like fishes out of water, imagine in a natural disaster where it can be days?

Are there any helpful online tools that you can help choose a properly sized generator for your needs?
What are some cost effective brands?
What are issues to be aware of?
How often should it be serviced/run/maintained, and what does that entail?

I'm assuming most single-family houses locally would want to run about 6-8 lights, 2-3 fans, 1-2 fridges/freezer and possibly small appliances on demand.

Brands that I'm seeing available in hardwares/pricesamart/tool stores
Ingco
Total
A-ipower
Pulsar

Persons with experience, feel free to chime in. We can help each other find the right solution for our needs.

Buy a cheap ATS (TT$ 1000.00), cheap honda generator, and get an electrician to hook up. Devise a plan for when power goes on how you are going to use this small generator.

The largest loads in a home are either heating or cooling. You may not want to run your water heater but you should maintain power to your refrigerator. Water and lights are my next picks.

In times when we have power, enjoy our cheap state-subsidised rates. Renewables have an extremely long ROI in Trinidad and Tobago, making it unfeasible. The main cost being storage - batteries are expensive and do not last as long as the generation devices.

When power goes, follow your plan. Turn off your planned unsupported loads from your panel. Start generator (pull-start if u cheap, push button if you lazy). Initiate transfer via ATS when power output on gen is stabilised.

This is a practical, low cost approach at an emergency power supply for home. I've got an engineer on call who can perform an assessment and execute the works.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 22nd, 2022, 2:07 pm

are you implying hooking the ats to house main panel and using it to swap the whole breaker panel to the generator?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 22nd, 2022, 3:21 pm

Ok so how many of you all purchased generators and willing to share your purchase price and thoughts on its features etc cause plenty talk passing here and I'm sure there are lurkers who want some more ownership and buying experience feedback.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 22nd, 2022, 4:01 pm

TK! wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:So splitting this discussion from any TTEC thread, simply because I think we're at a point where some of us need to consider having an emergency home generator for ANY unforeseen events.

(Isolated, not mains connected)

Island wide power failures
Localised power failures
Hurricanes
Earthquakes
etc

If 12 hours had us like fishes out of water, imagine in a natural disaster where it can be days?

Are there any helpful online tools that you can help choose a properly sized generator for your needs?
What are some cost effective brands?
What are issues to be aware of?
How often should it be serviced/run/maintained, and what does that entail?

I'm assuming most single-family houses locally would want to run about 6-8 lights, 2-3 fans, 1-2 fridges/freezer and possibly small appliances on demand.

Brands that I'm seeing available in hardwares/pricesamart/tool stores
Ingco
Total
A-ipower
Pulsar

Persons with experience, feel free to chime in. We can help each other find the right solution for our needs.

Buy a cheap ATS (TT$ 1000.00), cheap honda generator, and get an electrician to hook up. Devise a plan for when power goes on how you are going to use this small generator.

The largest loads in a home are either heating or cooling. You may not want to run your water heater but you should maintain power to your refrigerator. Water and lights are my next picks.

In times when we have power, enjoy our cheap state-subsidised rates. Renewables have an extremely long ROI in Trinidad and Tobago, making it unfeasible. The main cost being storage - batteries are expensive and do not last as long as the generation devices.

When power goes, follow your plan. Turn off your planned unsupported loads from your panel. Start generator (pull-start if u cheap, push button if you lazy). Initiate transfer via ATS when power output on gen is stabilised.

This is a practical, low cost approach at an emergency power supply for home. I've got an engineer on call who can perform an assessment and execute the works.
pugboy wrote:are you implying hooking the ats to house main panel and using it to swap the whole breaker panel to the generator?
If so, at the least the installation isn't to code.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 22nd, 2022, 4:07 pm

that is what I was wondering

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 22nd, 2022, 7:16 pm

What you can do is draw line power from a dual pole breaker on your main panel and run that cable to a transfer switch with a matching dual pole breaker. The circuits that you want to power must be physically removed from the main panel and connected to the circuit breakers on the transfer switch's panel.

If you want whole house power, the electrical main supply cable must be moved to the transfer switch and connected through an appropriate main circuit breaker.

bamfo_dennis
Sweet on this forum

Postby bamfo_dennis » February 22nd, 2022, 7:20 pm

ah electrican go do dat? it go pass inspection of watever ting ttec require? ah mean....dat sounding rel dangerous so a wireman go have to do it rite?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 22nd, 2022, 7:27 pm

^^ Yes. It's not dangerous to make the changes if you know how to do it. A licensed wireman is required to apply for the inspection and to be present during the inspection.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”