Forums

Residential Generators

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: Residential Generators

Postby nick639v2 » February 18th, 2022, 6:58 pm

hindian wrote:Fellas what are your thoughts on a full 12v mobile system? Much like the type the aussies use when going deep into the bush for days on end? I'm looking at trying my hand at building a 12v fridge from a Coleman or igloo cooler as there are lots of diy youtube videos. I used inverter power on a 13 plate diesel battery during the blackout to run a lightbulb,charge phones, run a lasko with headroom to spare. Every 1 1/2 hours I started the car and let it run for 15 mins and it worked out well for a family of 3.

They’re pretty cool, 100ah battery, dc-dc charger to charge the battery more efficiently and a solar panel on top their rigs pretty much keeps them topped off and running comfortable. They don’t even need to restart in the nights.

This is one of the more popular ones,

https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/75l-b ... 3q0BQ7x854

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 18th, 2022, 7:06 pm

how often u guys expecting to be with no current, and for how long at a time? to me it would only be once or twice a year, and any where under 12 hrs. to retrofit ur house electrical just of those brief infrequent times, seems too much technical hassle.
imo, just run extensions for few tings u need

we have a camp/house in the bush, no ttec or wasa. not fully decked out like a regular house, but has deep freeze, lights, microwave, tv, securty cameras. run off of solar panels and cell tower batteries. batteries going on 10ys now so not holding voltage, could do with replacing, but only use them for lights in the night, so they could go some more years.

the biggest issues is the freezers and water. during rainy days, we use the small 1200w generator to cool them down. and is every other day i put them to freeze. they stay cold enough for a day. i use like one liter of gasoline, runs for 2 to 3 hrs, and thats good enough to keep them cold for the next two days. and that 1 liter is like $5 plus two stroke oil to suit.
the lights are all 12v run directly off of the battery bank. so to are the cameras and recorder.

to build the house, there was a big 7000w honda generator from pricemart. only use that to do minor welding. but would need like 10kw generator to weld safely.

the 1000w inverter got inefficient and not working the the dead battery bank last year, so i upgraded to a 8kw inverter. it pulling strong even at 11v. that not good cause u could drag down the battery bank.

the water,,, the best option is to put the storage on a height for gravity feed. the tanks are 4ft from the ground, but as said before, they need to be higher than that to be able to send water properly. i would say at least 8ft higher than where u want to use it. i couldnt put ours higher cuase it gets filled from the guttering. but i made a stand for some barrels that are 7ft off the ground, so would just refill those every so often.

what i plan on doing is putting a high current music alternator in the van. that cause i want to run some music, but also have a big winch to feed. when that is installed, woudl use that to recharge the battery bank for the solar system, and use the inverter from that to power every ting else as it is set up. so, when no solar charging, use the alternater to substitute

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 18th, 2022, 8:07 pm

This is Smash's calling in life The most offgridiest individual I know.He could teach you guys some stuff about that lifestyle.

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » February 18th, 2022, 8:36 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
abbow wrote:
demented wrote:PROCOM in Point Lisas has complete residential systems with ATS (Automatic Transfer Switches) which will be required by T&TEC.
https://www.procomtt.com/products/power-generation

Thanks for the mention bro...

Any regular/non-ats solutions for us that you can share info on?

I know the pro-com name good, so I assume after sales support/service would be top tier.

https://www.procomtt.com/products/power-generation/

Anyone interested in solutions beyond what is listed here can call 636-7776 and ask for Glenn, Vincent, Dain from the M & E Department. They will provide further guidance.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 18th, 2022, 10:16 pm

abbow wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:
abbow wrote:
demented wrote:PROCOM in Point Lisas has complete residential systems with ATS (Automatic Transfer Switches) which will be required by T&TEC.
https://www.procomtt.com/products/power-generation

Thanks for the mention bro...

Any regular/non-ats solutions for us that you can share info on?

I know the pro-com name good, so I assume after sales support/service would be top tier.

https://www.procomtt.com/products/power-generation/

Anyone interested in solutions beyond what is listed here can call 636-7776 and ask for Glenn, Vincent, Dain from the M & E Department. They will provide further guidance.

spoke to a couple guys today. Christian and Dain I think.

The smallest portable available atm is a 6000w unit at $22K ttd. Prob better for businesses.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 18th, 2022, 11:56 pm

I just have enough power to run the essential stuff... Charge phone, lighting inside and out, a few fans, fridge etc
Didn't bother spend much as we prob get a issue like recently for what once a year if so long?
My setup was done about 6 year ago or so and longest run was prob Wednesday gone from lunchtime straight to midnight nonstop

I mean if money not a problem go with the full blown residential gen setup.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 19th, 2022, 12:19 am

gastly369 wrote:I just have enough power to run the essential stuff... Charge phone, lighting inside and out, a few fans, fridge etc
Didn't bother spend much as we prob get a issue like recently for what once a year if so long?
My setup was done about 6 year ago or so and longest run was prob Wednesday gone from lunchtime straight to midnight nonstop

Nah, the genesis of this is for an affordable solution for the broadest section of people.
I was thinking about 3K generator and a couple hundred in high quality extension cords.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 19th, 2022, 6:04 am

yeah a good budget setup is 3-4k genny
relatively cheap, runs for a very long time on a few gals and will power couple fridges and plenty lights

going bigger gonna be much louder
harder to start and less portable

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 19th, 2022, 10:30 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
gastly369 wrote:I just have enough power to run the essential stuff... Charge phone, lighting inside and out, a few fans, fridge etc

Nah, the genesis of this is for an affordable solution for the broadest section of people.
I was thinking about 3K generator and a couple hundred in high quality extension cords.

Thinking the same. Came across any brands yet? With the required ratings

agent007
punchin NOS

Residential Generators

Postby agent007 » February 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm

IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG

The powerboss is $3,500. The B&S is $6,500.

I got over 5 hrs (owners manual says it can go 10hrs on a full tank which is very believable) on just under half tank of gas powering a large side by side fridge, 2 fans, a light and 3 mobile devices. The box comes with the oil and all you need to do is buy 4 100ft ext. cords which is like another 1k there so your total is $4,500. If you add the dolly wheels then that’s extra and will push the price to around $5k minimum.

It noisy but it easy to setup, it’s drama free and the thing works! It small enough to be placed in a trunk of a car or a hatchback. It weighs about 100lbs and it uses super gas. The Briggs & Stratton engine is very simple and easy to work on and any small engine mechanic can conduct repairs and maintenance very easily with an abundance of parts available.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 19th, 2022, 2:44 pm

agent007 wrote:
IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG

The powerboss is $3,500. The B&S is $6,500.

I got over 5 hrs (owners manual says it can go 10hrs on a full tank which is very believable) on just under half tank of gas powering a large side by side fridge, 2 fans, a light and 3 mobile devices. The box comes with the oil and all you need to do is buy 4 100ft ext. cords which is like another 1k there so your total is $4,500. If you add the dolly wheels then that’s extra and will push the price to around $5k minimum.

It noisy but it easy to setup, it’s drama free and the thing works! It small enough to be placed in a trunk of a car or a hatchback. It weighs about 100lbs and it uses super gas. The Briggs & Stratton engine is very simple and easy to work on and any small engine mechanic can conduct repairs and maintenance very easily with an abundance of parts available.

220v also ?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 19th, 2022, 9:08 pm

Not on the one for $3,500. but the bigger ones yes.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 19th, 2022, 9:13 pm

you likely only get 220 on 6000 and up
to run a welder you need 7000+

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 20th, 2022, 12:15 am

Side note-There are alot of people who live on main roads with remote controlled gates and some without a pedestrian gate incorporated either into the main gate or at the side.

What are the chances these people walking with the emergency unlock key on them at all times out of the house?

I think we need to expand the discussion to what we can also change in our current household setup to prevent being locked in/locked out,in case of a general disaster..just my $0.02.You would think the gravity flow idea or taps at the outlet of your watertanks is common knowledge but I'm sure we all know atleast one person who built a one brick height concrete tank stand because they didn't think about what if electricity gone.

For the men asking how often and for how long this would happen,I could only see this becoming a more common occurence eventually.This is like the preppers thread for me.Also,a bicycle is real handy to keep if fuel becomes an issue.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 20th, 2022, 7:37 am

People who living in 2nd story and up apartments kind of screwed when it come to this eh.

Can't use generator
Have to tote water up stairs because tanks does be on the ground.
Can't even run inverter from their cars.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » February 20th, 2022, 7:41 am

Generator.jpg

Picked this up at Pricesmart just before the Christmas for under 4K.

Using it for a project, have a Razor 170 welding unit working on it.

Had to pull is out Wednesday and bring it back home to supply an air pump for my fishes and a pump for my hydroponics system.

That was 4K well spent and the generator have loads of power, 9000w continuous, a 220 30A and 220 50A as well as 120 supply.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 20th, 2022, 8:26 am

that’s a real good price for 11.5k

does it have pull start in case starter battery dead?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 20th, 2022, 8:27 am

i know ppl who had to bathe in a downstairs unit as a result last week

Phone Surgeon wrote:People who living in 2nd story and up apartments kind of screwed when it come to this eh.

Can't use generator

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 20th, 2022, 8:45 am

pugboy wrote:i know ppl who had to bathe in a downstairs unit as a result last week

Phone Surgeon wrote:People who living in 2nd story and up apartments kind of screwed when it come to this eh.

Can't use generator

Oh what a disaster

bgh
Trinituner Peong

Postby bgh » February 20th, 2022, 9:08 am

Just a few days before the "event," I saw this at agri world in arima (formally FT Faffan).

Option for those with 240v generator to wire essential circuits and eliminate the multiple extention cords.

Less expensive than a full ATS system, with the youtube academy providing some HUC knowledge.
20220212_104613.jpg
20220212_104542.jpg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 20th, 2022, 9:11 am

yeah, always a good idea to have a garden tap off the tank directly to be able to fill buckets close to the tank and bathe there if necessary

Kenjo wrote:
pugboy wrote:i know ppl who had to bathe in a downstairs unit as a result last week

Can't use generator

Oh what a disaster

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 20th, 2022, 10:13 am

Can't use generator
I was offended by this and have not bathed since

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 20th, 2022, 10:44 am

Can't use generator

Inverter generators quiet but more expensive. Small footprint too.
Will be able to get some convenience, which is better than nothing

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 20th, 2022, 11:28 am

I getting one of them 110v Leo chinese pumps with smarthead , small and easy to fit in
splicing into tank supply and house, to run off generator.
Leaving the main goulds as is.

the 1/2hp will work for single storey house but not sure it can push up for a 2 storey.
although I know they are quite popular on the low end budget.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » February 20th, 2022, 11:38 am

pugboy wrote:that’s a real good price for 11.5k

does it have pull start in case starter battery dead?

Yep, it have both.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 20th, 2022, 8:22 pm

Saw this on FB
FB_IMG_1645402897564.jpg
FB_IMG_1645402895239.jpg

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 20th, 2022, 8:36 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Saw this on FB
FB_IMG_1645402895239.jpg
FB_IMG_1645402897564.jpg

Lol yup all those companies sponsoring ads on fb

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm

Now is the opportune time to make that money

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 20th, 2022, 9:23 pm

plenty ppl done forget this episode and ain’t able with spending the money for backup

supercharged turbo wrote:Now is the opportune time to make that money

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 20th, 2022, 10:06 pm

The generac inverter is a decent option to get if the 2000w(peek) well 1600w(run) is sufficient for your needs

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”