TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Best hybrid to buy now under TT$150k (tax free)?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Best hybrid to buy now under $150k (tax free)?

Postby Dave » May 25th, 2022, 7:07 pm

I'm quite disappointed where we have an automotive forum where automotive questions are asked and answers are known and not answered.

I am no where interested in a hybrid but it's a question I too would love to know the answer as well.
agent007 wrote:It could mean that you don't know the answer as well. Redman, it look like you genuinely want to know. If you serious, pm me, let's talk.
wing wrote:
redmanjp wrote:so my question is which hybrids would still work on the ICE engine alone if the battery stop working?
If you asking that, I'd suggest you stay away from a hybrid vehicle because it seems like you're not interested in doing proper research and the mango tree mechanic will be there for you. A simple google search for "hybrid technician Trinidad" is a good start to locate, call or visit these establishments to see what you are getting into.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 25th, 2022, 7:14 pm

Always some d1ck measuring contest

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 25th, 2022, 7:18 pm

I dunno how they can make an accurate statement on statistics of battery life across all manufacturers for a number of reasons

not all are using the same battery chemistry, eg nimh vs lithium and even in lithium there are different flavours.

the battery construction design varies as well
some like tesla use batteries with a large number of cells which carry a fuse so when a cell goes bad and starts shorting it blows its fuse to remove it from the entire pack to avoid pulling down the rest of the pack, aquas have simple cell arrangement so weak cells just bring down the overall pack voltage and stress the remaining cells.

there is no standard on the battery capacity used for these cars
one mfg may have a larger capacity battery than another so their battery will be under less stress and discharge/charge cycles
also the motors and their current sucking demands will not be the same depending on car size etc.

and well the climate matters as hot temps likely to shorten lifespans

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 25th, 2022, 7:36 pm

Dave wrote:I'm quite disappointed where we have an automotive forum where automotive questions are asked and answers are known and not answered.

I am no where interested in a hybrid but it's a question I too would love to know the answer as well.
agent007 wrote:It could mean that you don't know the answer as well. Redman, it look like you genuinely want to know. If you serious, pm me, let's talk.
wing wrote:
redmanjp wrote:so my question is which hybrids would still work on the ICE engine alone if the battery stop working?
If you asking that, I'd suggest you stay away from a hybrid vehicle because it seems like you're not interested in doing proper research and the mango tree mechanic will be there for you. A simple google search for "hybrid technician Trinidad" is a good start to locate, call or visit these establishments to see what you are getting into.

while i'm not speaking for all hybrids as there are different system, the AQUA and similar Toyota Synergy drive vehicles cannot start if the hybrid system is not working.
There is a special mode that allows the ICE to start to do maintenance, however, it is not recommended to drive at all in that mode as components can be damaged.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 25th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Dave perhaps you and I should have a chat too. I've noticed that everyone here are SME's and it have genuine lurkers who want that kind of info but the nonsensical replies people give for epips is just hard to understand.

Alluh have any idea who lurks on this forum especially the new car price thread? Twice...I don't know if Duane knows (I won't be surprised if he does though) but twice I get pull up for making certain statements which in retrospect they were right and I was wrong.

I here to learn too and most of us here on this high horse. I take my time to give my thoughts and actual experiences here and how much people actually do that?

The latest buzz now is this hybrid tax exemption, so people genuinely want to make an informed decision and I can tell them it's not a bed of roses. I will ruffle some feathers but I don't care. I speak the truth as I not here to make friends. If I have the knowledge I will impart same. If I don't know, nothing wrong with asking a question.

This forum has totally lost its touch as a means of knowledge sharing and moderators don't seem to attempt and try to put things back into perspective. A lot of the garbage here is perpetuated by mods. Everything is always an argument, name calling and an appendage length comparison test.

Recently someone was promoting a bunch of garbage where the initial tax exemption was concerned. I got some pm's and plenty calls from a group I'm a part of and I basically told everyone, don't go on a rampage against the Minister yet. Hold alluh hand and what happened? We got the amendment we wanted. It's not ambiguous at all. It may appear to be confusing for those who can't read and understand.

There's more examples eh but I'll hold off for now. Where the question is concerned now, can a hybrid vehicle operate normally with its ICE if the battery pack and or hybrid system including the electric motor or inverter fails) and the answer to that question is not a simple yes or no. We need to understand the relationship between electric motor and the ICE first and foremost to derive a response.

Some Hybrids require that the ICE and electric motor must be working to propel the transmission which in turn would power the wheels. Some Hybrids are able to have the ICE still power the transmission to propel the vehicle. It may be in a limp mode. Then we can't be fooled and feel that because the wheels are turning whilst the gear selector is on D and feel well we could drive the vehicle normally like any regular non hybrid vehicle.

It doesn't work this way. You can cause damage to the hybrid system and transmission. Then there are some Hybrids that would go totally in safe mode. Once the battery pack fails or inverter or motor, you not going anywhere until one or more component is fixed.

Why is this data so hard to come by? This info should be readily available from the Aqua/Sienta/Axio/Fielder group as well as the Vezel, Xtrail Hybrid and Ioniq/Niro groups. Those 4 groups represent a huge chunk of the Hybrids on our market. More than 95% I reckon and once we understand how each core system behaves, we will be better informed.

I don't care who vex but I want to say this, I am not against hybrid and electrification....how much times must I lament that I'm interested in a Leaf? My only beaf with that car is that via roro, I cannot change the display menus into English and that simply doesn't cut for me.

Anyway, once you buy a used roro hybrid, 99% of the time the car will have a tampered odometer. You are buying a vehicle that is:

1. Out of manufacturer's warranty
2. Chances are it will never get proper software updates or the opportunity to sort out TSB's
3..They already 3-4 years old and most people buy these vehicles on loans for up to 5 years.
4. By the time the vehicle is paid off for, chances are the age is 9 years and that can be endless trouble maintenance wise. Basically, it would be difficult to resell those cars as they would be basically a pile of junk. A depreciated hybrid with issues? How much you think it will be worth? More than a used Renault Clio? Well lets wait and see..

To come on this forum and paint some lovely pretty picture that life gonna be so nice with a hybrid, tell yourself you in for a ride of your life.

Gone are those days like how we talk about which Royal Saloon, Cressida or Laurel we used to admire back in the day. Them days long gone. Hybridization and Electrification are disposable in comparison.

These vehicles have a shelf life and unlike my friend above who quoting nonsense to give people the feeling that they could jump in and see up to 17 years of trouble free motoring is simply stupendous to believe and then on the other hand start to throw out oh how he know people with Hybrids doing 100,000 miles which is 160,000kms with 0 intervention. I call massive BS on that.

If anyone want to talk, pm me and we can share numbers like what I do countless times on this forum. I've been sharing my number for the past 13 years and I get calls from all kinda people now. The kind of horror stories it have out there will blow your mind.

Not everyone will come on this forum and admit they made a wrong decision. If you don't believe me, try and be approachable and talk to actual owners whilst filling up at the gas station or while you servicing your car. Talk to people and see what they have to say rather than try to paint a general picture from a small dataset on this forum.

For now, I'm glad I'm out of this hybrid thing. A lot of people in my circle alone cut out clean within the past 12 months and won't go back unless we have proper dealership support.

Lastly, be careful what info you get from them Vezel and Aqua groups. People have agendas and trying to tief up the head of the gullible.

I done for now.
Last edited by agent007 on May 25th, 2022, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 25th, 2022, 7:53 pm

^^ tru stuff
Just to further dispel that myth that hybrid batteries are that good, TOYOTA the hybrid master, only has 100,000km/5 year warranty on their batteries, so say you get a 150,000km from it with good maintenance great for you but they aren't rated for that by the manufacturer themself which says much more than ole talk or what a google search returns.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 25th, 2022, 8:04 pm

the battery reconditioning them ppl speak about ain’t all that either, they make it sound like you getting back a battery like new

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 25th, 2022, 8:22 pm

Doh let me start on that. If them Aqua/Axio/Fielder/Sienta (herinafter referred to as the AAFS group) want a fully certified replacement battery pack, pm me and have at least $25k ready.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 25th, 2022, 9:41 pm

agent007 wrote:Doh let me start on that. If them Aqua/Axio/Fielder/Sienta (herinafter referred to as the AAFS group) want a fully certified replacement battery pack, pm me and have at least $25k ready.
Lastly, be careful what info you get from them Vezel and Aqua groups. People have agendas and trying to tief up the head of the gullible.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 25th, 2022, 10:39 pm

Exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post above. But yes I agree. I don't trust most of them so called experts.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 26th, 2022, 2:47 am

daxt0r wrote:^^ tru stuff
Just to further dispel that myth that hybrid batteries are that good, TOYOTA the hybrid master, only has 100,000km/5 year warranty on their batteries, so say you get a 150,000km from it with good maintenance great for you but they aren't rated for that by the manufacturer themself which says much more than ole talk or what a google search returns.
That really depends in the country that you are in. Toyota's hybrid battery warranty for US HEVs is 10 years/150,000 miles (240,000 km).

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 26th, 2022, 5:18 am

What's the warranty on the regular model with gasoline engine only?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 26th, 2022, 5:24 am

what is it for Japan ?

adnj wrote:
That really depends in the country that you are in. Toyota's hybrid battery warranty for US HEVs is 10 years/150,000 miles (240,000 km).

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 26th, 2022, 6:07 am

agent007 wrote:Doh let me start on that. If them Aqua/Axio/Fielder/Sienta (herinafter referred to as the AAFS group) want a fully certified replacement battery pack, pm me and have at least $25k ready.

I can get them for at least $8k

Can also get replacement batteries packs for any other car from any brand maker that’s sold on the local market.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 26th, 2022, 7:39 am

i like how them aqua dealers does send car for their warranty wuk by a tech to swap out weak cells with cells from a next battery that scrap down

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 26th, 2022, 8:43 am

pugboy wrote:i like how them aqua dealers does send car for their warranty wuk by a tech to swap out weak cells with cells from a next battery that scrap down

Best to get a complete certified and balanced pack.

For some of the older Toyota hybrid cars I can get direct swap lithium battery pack upgrade

It will more than Double electric storage capacity at half the weight of the original unit. It will significantly increase your current MPG so you can drive a lot longer in traffic with your AC running without the ICE kicking in to recharge the pack.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 26th, 2022, 9:39 am

nick639v2 wrote:
MG Man wrote:when I win the lotto, I gonna buy a GR Yaris and swap everything over to an Aqua

You need a new friend? I like your thoughts.

look out for PM after I win lotto saturday :lol:

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 26th, 2022, 9:59 am

MG Man wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:
MG Man wrote:when I win the lotto, I gonna buy a GR Yaris and swap everything over to an Aqua

Might as well buy a Tesla and swap everything into a B14 just for the heck of it
Last edited by The Bamboo Online on May 26th, 2022, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » May 26th, 2022, 10:00 am

The Bamboo Online wrote:
MG Man wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:

Might as well buy a Tesla and swap everything into a B14 for heck of it

nah meem fallin for that EV nonsense

Radix
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Radix » May 26th, 2022, 10:09 am

A172 wrote:if u have cash i'll bring a 2019 vezel hybrid for u for $155k, Aqua $87k, Axio/Fielder hybrid $104k

if you taking loan i'll have Aquas in stock by August, avg $100 - $105k

http://www.facebook.com/rvitrinidad

agent007 wrote:Anyway, once you buy a used roro hybrid, 99% of the time the car will have a tampered odometer.

are u that 1%?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 10:21 am

The Bamboo Online wrote:

Can also get replacement batteries packs for any other car from any brand maker that’s sold on the local market.
I've seen those $8-9k "certified" refurbished battery packs all the time in my group. Owners encounter problems all the time from as early as the same day it was installed. That is garbage next to what I can provide for $25k. My alternative is basically a brand new battery pack that will last years trouble free and is shipped into the country via ocean freight.

As for the old units? I can always put them up for sale so the local con artists can lap them up for their dirty trade.

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 26th, 2022, 10:44 am

agent007 wrote:
The Bamboo Online wrote:

I've seen those $8-9k "certified" refurbished battery packs all the time in my group. Owners encounter problems all the time from as early as the same day it was installed. That is garbage next to what I can provide for $25k. My alternative is basically a brand new battery pack that will last years trouble free and is shipped into the country via ocean freight.

As for the old units? I can always put them up for sale so the local con artists can lap them up for their dirty trade.

Sorry bud but This is what I do as a side gig in NY. I get batteries out of low mileage and new wreckage. Have equipment to charge and test capacity. 80% and over gets refreshed back to even higher capacity and all the rest I break up and sell it’s parts on eBay. All the low cells i find I combine and sell as solar energy storage.

Radix
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Radix » May 26th, 2022, 10:50 am

agent007, the most common mechanical issue i've seen with the aqua is wheel bearing, another is water pump. u spoke about brake accumalator issues which i've never seen complaints about. there may be a few more.

every vehicle on the market has its weakness(es). choose any mass produced vehicle with enough years on t&t roads and there will be common issues amongst buyers.

all of your complaints seem to really be COST complaints and not so much that the vehicle is a massively faulty one as u seem to be alluding to. These high costs are due to current expensive technology (e.g. battery pack) and technical servicing (e.g. as u said "Simple things like changing brakes").

many vehicles that brought new technology to our shores once experienced high maintenance cost and are now very cheap to own due to the high availabilty and low cost of parts and servicing.

the aqua isn't a problematic vehicle in an of itself as u may be painting it to be. when people like yourself complain, listen to what the complaint really is about... high maintenance COSTS. i've owned 3 and sold all early based on the fears of high future cost, especially the battery pack.

now lets say due to a high availabilty of technicians and parts, costs were to drop comparable to that of the common nissan vehicles such that a battery pack might cost about $2k.... brake accumalator issue that u said is $1,500 labour and $5,000 parts were to be about $500 labour and $1,000 parts.... would u still paint the aqua as a bad investment.

the aqua is the new tiida/nissan. trust me, this is a common pattern seen in past years with all new technology. soon parts and servicing will be dog cheap for the common hybrids especially the toyota synergy drive types ESPECIALLY with the recent government incentives that would flood the market with hybrid vehicle.

hybrid isnt the future, its already the present. those "high costs" are already dropping due to competition as we speak. check back this thread next year or two and u will see some of the costs quoted here would be about half its once was.

Radix
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Radix » May 26th, 2022, 10:59 am

The Bamboo Online wrote:
agent007 wrote:
The Bamboo Online wrote:

Sorry bud but This is what I do as a side gig in NY. I get batteries out of low mileage and new wreckage. Have equipment to charge and test capacity. 80% and over gets refreshed back to even higher capacity and all the rest I break up and sell it’s parts on eBay. All the low cells i find I combine and sell as solar energy storage.

u are one of the pioneers in what is soon to become a saturated industry here in trinidad. soon the price of a PROPERLY WORKING battery pack will be dog cheap and easily available as long as guys like yourself keep the competition going. agent007 seems to have an agenda himself - probably his 25k battery pack. a typical mango tree mechanic can service the powersteering pump of a nissan b13/14/15/almera/tiida. that was once new technology and expensive to maintain/service. back then, fear mongerers like agent007 would dissuade buyers from purchasing a vehicle with powersteering capabilities although it was quite obvious that its the future and here to stay.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 11:14 am

BO noted.

Radix, double check some of your claims there. I never said the Aqua is a problematic car and cited accumulator in my posts above. We or I am talking about the battery pack in particular in relation to the age of the car.

As the car depreciates, it will be financially unfeasible to pump money into the car whether it's the battery or the motor or inverter or even the engine. Eventually it just won't make sense and those cars will become scrap iron. Then the argument of simply running the vehicle with the ICE alone is still not possible.

This is the new future of where we are heading hence I mentioned, gone are those days where we reminisce on the past about certain cars like Royal Saloon etc. cause in the future, there won't be 30-40 year old NHP10s left for us to remember apart from an example being in a museum.

How much of us have Compaq Presario and IBM ThinkPad laptops from the year 2000? Them thing throw away long before most of us join this forum. Why? It's disposable.

We still see old cars on the road because its level of complexity is not like these modern cars. I cannot dissuade anyone cause sooner or later our personal vehicles will reach its limits and upgrade would be the conversation.

Just don't forget to understand a major point that I continue to underscore. When buying a roro hybrid, you are investing in a vehicle that already has diminished shelf life. It's like me trying to sell a 4 year old HP Pavilion laptop on a 5 year term. Yes the laptop can survive 9 years but at what cost? Then when it is paid off for what next? It's done for. Time to get another laptop.

**edit**

Of course I have an agenda. I'll expose all the lies and give people the power to make an informed decision. I knew feathers will get ruffled cause people eating ah food by taking advantage of the gullible. You better start getting used to it and keep yuh browser refreshed cause I've only just started. Ain't get warmed up yet. Alluh will start to get so frustrated that the usual name calling banter will be your last resort.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 11:35 am

Bamboo, I have a question for you. For me to understand it properly, I take it you are based in NY and this side gig of yours translates into a local here in T&T can get a certified refurbished battery pack from you for $8k TTD?

Radix
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Radix » May 26th, 2022, 11:49 am

agent007 wrote:We still see old cars on the road because its level of complexity is not like these modern cars.

all those older vehicles u speak about were once complex and complicated relative to the technology of that time. all those older vehicles u speak about were once expensive and tedious to maintain and difficult to find competent techs. all older vehicles u see on the road once had its critics like yourself. are you learning anything from history? vehicles have existed long enough that certain patterns have repeated over and over again. the pattern that is about to play out is obvious and undeniable.

the market is already flooded with aquas/hybrids. now the government has given even MORE incentive that is surely going to cause the numbers to outdo ICE only vehicles. last we heard it was second to the tiida in thefts. take a look at a malls parking lot. aquas are now #1 in number. every tech and part supplier will NEED to tap into the hybrid market to survive.

there are COMPETENT technicians popping up daily to fulfill the needs of the new hybrid market. part prices and servicing are being driven down due to competition. just now the bamboo will be flooded with hybrid related parts such a battery pack, high voltage lines, inverter/converter... what i paid 1600 to service on my first aqua there are numerous competent guys doing it for 400.

many aquas/hybrids on the road today WILL be on the road 20 years to come. We heard the same things about b12/b13 and all the other "complicated" vehicles of the 90's/2000's and how they wont go past 10 years because of their "weak" body panels, "complex" technology and costs.

im sure you're old enough to have witnessed these patterns and make better deductions. investing in a typical ice may be a step in the wrong direction. I predict that resale for a straight ice in the next 10yrs are gonna be worthless. those are the vehicles that gonna be scrap metal. c'mon dude, look at what first world countries and manufacturers are leaning too....

i get your point on buying foreign used and its absolutely true but it has always been that way. this is only a repeat of a common pattern.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 12:49 pm

Now this is what I like. Well put and accepted. I yield to your further insight.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 26th, 2022, 12:56 pm

i had listen to the RORO dealers complaint that they only allowing cars up to 3 years old

and how the poor man could benefit much better if they allow cars up to 5 years old

i not sure how to feel about that because on one hand i agree, the poorer man could more easily get a car if they allowed 5 year old RORO vehicles

but then reading this thread and from experiences of padnas, the other part is the poor man will end up getting screwed when its time to service or if any major repairs are needed

i think a 3 year old hybrid would give much more usage and need less big repairs than a 5 year old hybrid but again.....people can only buy what they can afford

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » May 26th, 2022, 2:35 pm

daxt0r wrote:^^
wait till they see the price ah dem denso iridium the aqua an the like uses, the newer one has ah even harder to find and more expensive plug. In d earlies when i got mine i brought it down from rakuten jp lol.

Hear nah... I was shocked to know in trinidad genuine toyota plugs for the aqua selling at $1250tt per set.... I say nahhhh daz madness.... I went to florida last month on vacation and went to a toyota dealership there and bought a set for $64usd.... I understand shipping and then a markup for local seller to make a profit.... but that gap between 64usd and 1250tt was eye opening

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”