TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Best hybrid to buy now under TT$150k (tax free)?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Best hybrid to buy now under $150k (tax free)?

Postby Musical Doc » May 26th, 2022, 2:38 pm

daxt0r wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm quite disappointed where we have an automotive forum where automotive questions are asked and answers are known and not answered.

I am no where interested in a hybrid but it's a question I too would love to know the answer as well.
agent007 wrote:It could mean that you don't know the answer as well. Redman, it look like you genuinely want to know. If you serious, pm me, let's talk.
wing wrote:
redmanjp wrote:so my question is which hybrids would still work on the ICE engine alone if the battery stop working?
If you asking that, I'd suggest you stay away from a hybrid vehicle because it seems like you're not interested in doing proper research and the mango tree mechanic will be there for you. A simple google search for "hybrid technician Trinidad" is a good start to locate, call or visit these establishments to see what you are getting into.

while i'm not speaking for all hybrids as there are different system, the AQUA and similar Toyota Synergy drive vehicles cannot start if the hybrid system is not working.
There is a special mode that allows the ICE to start to do maintenance, however, it is not recommended to drive at all in that mode as components can be damaged.

I think we should confirm that because I know a few aqua owners battery is bad and they still driving their cars using ice power, because they can't afford to replace the battery.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 26th, 2022, 2:54 pm

The battery being bad doesn't mean it is isolated and/or disconnected or fully discharged/destroyed.
The warning comes up when a one or more battery cell perfornance has dropped too much and thus the car functions in limp mode.
The 12v battery AND the hybrid battery is required to start the vehicle, as the 12v energizes the relay that enables the hybrid system and this is what is used to start the vehicle even in limp mode.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 26th, 2022, 4:57 pm

It will keep driving for a while couple months and eventually it will just crawl at very low speed for a few days and then on one of those days the computer will say enough is enough and it will stop topping up the battery and it will stop completely and will not try to start the engine and will need to be towed.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Woe unto them fellas driving their Aqua with some form of hybrid failure. Dunno how some people manage to start and drive something that would be in safe mode but like I've mentioned numerous times before, the 1NZ-FXE engine is different to the 1NZ-FE we've grown accustomed to seeing in the E121 and E141 Corollas.

The FXE is the Atkinson cycle version to the regular Otto cycle version. By design it produces less hp and torque all in the name of fuel economy and its dependency on the electric motor for propulsion.

Pushing that engine without aid from the HSD system would destroy the P510 eCVT. So they (some owners) done find it financially hard to replace a battery pack in an aging used hybrid and now to add transmission issues to that bill would be even harder. Meanwhile the 5 year loan still active and the bank want their payments.

The argument can swing both sides but for now as in this very moment in T&T, all the persons who jumped into the roro hybrid thing since 2016/7 to now and got burnt would need some additional assurances if we were to jump right back in. Go and watch trinicarsforsale and pin.tt and see how much for sale.

Ask yourself, who will want to buy a used roro 2012 Aqua with double roll back mileage? (first instance from Japan and 2nd instance when local trini sells). How much you think that car will be worth? Them thing can't even fetch 40k and you can bet yuh bottom dollar, prepare to spend thousands on that car to bring it back up to speed.

Watch it closely folks....as all these roro Hybrids dumped into our market ages and develop more problems, who will want to buy it and how much resale would be left on one? Who will want to pump money into it if its not financially feasible to do so? What do you forecast then?

If anyone wants to convert an Aqua to a regular non hybrid petrol car then I would like to see such a build. Put in a nice 2NZ-FE or 1NZ-FE inside with 4AT ECTi transmission but what happens to the front axle, steering rack and instrument cluster? Can Yaris parts be swapped in? And can we get the instrument panel digital displays to work once again? An aftermarket tachometer can be wired up easily so I not beating up about that part.

Imagine you get a 1NZ-FE with a 5-speed manual to work and the vehicle is lighter cause the hybrid drivetrain get pelt out of there and you install some rear disc brakes. You gonna have an unofficial Aqua Sport.

assassin
Shifting into 6th

Postby assassin » May 26th, 2022, 5:28 pm

While maintenance costs will drop in the future, consider:

The majority of the aqua crowd bought it because it was "affordable". They are paying for it on installments and not able to pay an additional 15-20% of the vehicle value to do a battery replacement. And within 2-3 years of purchase.

So it is likely that many will run it into an unserviceable state or try to sell it off quick. Why is there is a proliferation of PDT/U/W aquas selling for $50k currently?

Aqua is not a longevity car. How often now do you see a VW Amarok on the road now when they were prevalent at one time?

Is it that the build quality of the Vezel is better? They seem to be holding out with less battery issues.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 5:45 pm

The Vezel does have some issues but the DCT is its main concern. Fortunately for Vezel, Accord, Civic, Grace and Fit hybrid owners, ANSA opened up a hybrid service center and is willing to entertain those vehicles to service and repair at a cost.

All roro Toyotas can also be checked into TTTL for service and repairs at an obvious cost.

Ioniq and Niro owners can fall back easily on Massy and SS for service, repair, warranty intervention and even goodwill.

Question is, would Massy implement something similar for the Serena S-Hybrid, Note ePower, Xtrail Hybrid and Leaf owners?

Would Lafast help out the i8, i3, X5 40e, 530e and 330e owners who need intervention?

Would Sterling give a bligh to the C350e and E350e owners who would need parts and software updates etc?

Questions with much needed answers.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 26th, 2022, 6:18 pm

Have been hearing issues with fans on the vezels.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 26th, 2022, 8:09 pm

I feel wa does catch ppl offguard, unless ur a subie owner, is the that this automatic also uses clutch oil for the actuator that an it also has an extremely short change interval of 20k in our conditions and even driving habits here.
Men barely does want to change they tranny oil in dey almera, some even think them CVT thing is lifetime non-maintenance parts, probably in cold japan not here, cvt belt singing so the fluid over get thin and folks believe daiz d fyazzzzz kickin in.. :D

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 27th, 2022, 7:59 am

Seeing a roro dealer advising potential customers to wait until September or so before making purchases. He is stating that there could be a 20k drop in prices of hybrids. Shrugs shoulders

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 27th, 2022, 8:25 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Seeing a roro dealer advising potential customers to wait until September or so before making purchases. He is stating that there could be a 20k drop in prices of hybrids. Shrugs shoulders
Businessman in trinidad dropping prices ? That's hilarious

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 27th, 2022, 8:40 am

hover11 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Seeing a roro dealer advising potential customers to wait until September or so before making purchases. He is stating that there could be a 20k drop in prices of hybrids. Shrugs shoulders
To get more sales? Duh

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 27th, 2022, 8:53 am

might end up increasing current demand

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 27th, 2022, 8:57 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:
hover11 wrote:
To get more sales? Duh
Doesn't happen sir but nice try... this happened before cellphone Tax was removed did you drop your prices if so did you see the other dealers drop theirs

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 27th, 2022, 9:05 am

Lol most dealers locally and wholesalers locally were never paying tax.

The government gives with one hand and then they take away with the other hand.
When I could have used 140k usd a month 2 years ago....to 70k usd a month last year..

Now down to 20k usd a month.....
No longer could bring items for small profit

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 27th, 2022, 9:09 am

you mean paying regular taxes

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 27th, 2022, 9:21 am

shipping costs high, so don't wait to buy nah

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » May 27th, 2022, 9:22 am

agent007 wrote:Woe unto them fellas driving their Aqua with some form of hybrid failure. Dunno how some people manage to start and drive something that would be in safe mode but like I've mentioned numerous times before, the 1NZ-FXE engine is different to the 1NZ-FE we've grown accustomed to seeing in the E121 and E141 Corollas.

The FXE is the Atkinson cycle version to the regular Otto cycle version. By design it produces less hp and torque all in the name of fuel economy and its dependency on the electric motor for propulsion.

Pushing that engine without aid from the HSD system would destroy the P510 eCVT. So they (some owners) done find it financially hard to replace a battery pack in an aging used hybrid and now to add transmission issues to that bill would be even harder. Meanwhile the 5 year loan still active and the bank want their payments.

The argument can swing both sides but for now as in this very moment in T&T, all the persons who jumped into the roro hybrid thing since 2016/7 to now and got burnt would need some additional assurances if we were to jump right back in. Go and watch trinicarsforsale and pin.tt and see how much for sale.

Ask yourself, who will want to buy a used roro 2012 Aqua with double roll back mileage? (first instance from Japan and 2nd instance when local trini sells). How much you think that car will be worth? Them thing can't even fetch 40k and you can bet yuh bottom dollar, prepare to spend thousands on that car to bring it back up to speed.

Watch it closely folks....as all these roro Hybrids dumped into our market ages and develop more problems, who will want to buy it and how much resale would be left on one? Who will want to pump money into it if its not financially feasible to do so? What do you forecast then?

If anyone wants to convert an Aqua to a regular non hybrid petrol car then I would like to see such a build. Put in a nice 2NZ-FE or 1NZ-FE inside with 4AT ECTi transmission but what happens to the front axle, steering rack and instrument cluster? Can Yaris parts be swapped in? And can we get the instrument panel digital displays to work once again? An aftermarket tachometer can be wired up easily so I not beating up about that part.

Imagine you get a 1NZ-FE with a 5-speed manual to work and the vehicle is lighter cause the hybrid drivetrain get pelt out of there and you install some rear disc brakes. You gonna have an unofficial Aqua Sport.

Just make sure you put a roll cage in there.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 27th, 2022, 9:30 am

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 27th, 2022, 9:53 am

Lol entertaining at least.
What is the consensus on the full electric? Would those prices be adjusted?

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » May 27th, 2022, 10:00 am

Dealers have already started dropping their prices for Hybrid vehicles.

Czar Distributors and RoRo Importers .
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 7.01.06 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 7.01.06 AM (1).jpeg

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 27th, 2022, 10:42 am

Them new shape Vezels tempting!!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 27th, 2022, 10:58 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Them new shape Vezels tempting!!
Parts though

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 27th, 2022, 11:00 am

I see a man complaining on hsm page about a voxy he buy from them and 2 months now they not returning his calls and he can't find parts

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 27th, 2022, 11:06 am

Dave wrote:Lol entertaining at least.

Wait for ttec to adjust their prices first :x

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » May 27th, 2022, 11:24 am

Currently I will stay with ICE vehicles at least 5-7 years,
the market is too new and the skilled technicians are nil to scarce as well as consumable parts are not readily available locally.

if i had a spare vehicle would have taken the chance. not the case currently.

also is i were going full electric i would install solar panel kit with battery to charge the Electric car.

For now ICE vehicles is the more logical choice for me.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 27th, 2022, 11:28 am

At the moment it feels as if a lot of smartman retailers are taking advantage of the emerging market for hybrids and electrics.
I rather rejuvenate and hold on to my current vehicle in the hopes this country straightens their crap out.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 27th, 2022, 11:35 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
Dave wrote:Lol entertaining at least.

Wait for ttec to adjust their prices first :x
Lol exactly that. A storm is coming....
mitch1980 wrote:Currently I will stay with ICE vehicles at least 5-7 years,
the market is too new and the skilled technicians are nil to scarce as well as consumable parts are not readily available locally.

if i had a spare vehicle would have taken the chance. not the case currently.

also is i were going full electric i would install solar panel kit with battery to charge the Electric car.

For now ICE vehicles is the more logical choice for me.
I am mostly with you but I have learnt to adapt for my own self. Having dabbled in carburators and scrapping and rebuilding and then the fuel injected and these cars allegedly going to shut down with the turn of the century we survived so far.

As with a good ICE mechanic that apparently is still hard to find and some still out there outsmarting ppl there are a few good ones and I expect with these electrically run vehicles that too will change soon but I am self subsistent so I will grasp it when I do pull the plug......

I believe the general consensus is personal import or brand new maybe the current way to go if looking to make the change.

I want to change but I am at two totally opposite ends of the scale with something absolutely practical and electric or something totally against saving the earth. We shall see as I do know gas won't ever go down and that plug would have to be pulled soon.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » May 27th, 2022, 12:02 pm

Dave wrote:totally against saving the earth.

https://www.somo.nl/the-battery-paradox/

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 27th, 2022, 12:09 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
MG Man wrote:cheaper to buy a 100k gas engine car than finance a 150k hybrid to 'save money on gas'
Do the math on fuel savings per year vs purchase price and financing on a hybrid and you'll see the maths not mathsing

I'm actually in full agreement on this. Currently considering selling my wife's aqua and buying a gas vehicle. If you go through the fb aqua group, the amount of problems coming up with these cars and the cost of fix, it is not worth it. Imagine you buy an aqua and a year later you have to buy a hybrid battery for 14000. I have my tiida 10 yrs now and never spend that amount of money in one repair. The money u saving in gas doesn't begin to offset the cost you are going to experience within 1 or 2 years of owning an aqua
And ppl does rel under estimate the performance of a PROPER working HR15 too

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 27th, 2022, 12:10 pm

pugboy wrote:ppl buying a used car whose battery is on the lifespan downslope
Well RORO is 90k
New is 180k

Some ppl does do maths differently

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”