Forums

Multi Billion dollar development at Invaders Bay

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 26th, 2022, 8:19 am

Construction has finally started on what is expected to be a multi-billion dollar project that will transform 70 acres of Invaders Bay and the western part of Port-of-Spain.

The project that has often been marred by controversy is expected to see significant development on the waterfront and link MovieTowne to Cocorite via a boardwalk. There is also expected to be a major hotel, high value housing, businesses and shops and entertainment.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 8.19.27 AM.jpg

Describing the move as positive for the economy, Udecott’s chairman Noel Garcia told the Business Guardian that works began about a month ago, adding that Namalco Construction Services Ltd was awarded a $70 million contract for building out the infrastructure, including roads, electricity, telephone, ICT and natural gas among other things.

“We went out to tender sometime in 2020 and we got proponents who had expressed an interest in using the land. So we had two proponents who expressed interest, we have another three who have also expressed interest and we hope that when we finally develop the entire site we would go out for an Expression of Interest to the remainder,” Garcia further explained, noting that infrastructure is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.

https://www.cnc3.co.tt/multi-billion-do ... ets-going/

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Multi Billion dollar development at Invaders Bay

Postby worksux101 » May 26th, 2022, 8:50 am

Is this not the area Chin wanted for the countries of the world project?
Instead, a gov't institution has taken over...lol

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 26th, 2022, 8:55 am

That area was always State owned, and these plans have been floated for years. Not sure if Derek Chin's plans will be incorporated in this project, if not I wonder if he'll be compensated for the backfilling he already did behind a line of mangrove trees?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 26th, 2022, 9:11 am

This explains why I have been seeing so much Namalco trucks on Wrightson Road over the past few days.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 26th, 2022, 10:09 am

Is this really a good idea, isn't that reclaimed land, when the sea ready for it those billions will be lost

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 10:47 am

That masterplan attached above does not incorporate the boardwalk from MT all the way to Cocorite. This boardwalk link will have to cross over the Maraval River, pass through the mangrove all the way to the foreshore lookout and head to the fishing depot by peakes. I'm assuming it is stopping at that point.

Linking Cocorite into the boardwalk will bring a host of other issues. Goodluck on that one. I say keep the boardwalk but end it just before the maraval river like we see in the plan above. Leave the mangrove north of the development project untouched.

If they want to build something really nice, the start a boardwalk from the foreshore lookout and end it just by the traffic lights by the fishing depot. That is an excellent area to see some sunsets with some concrete park benches. It doesn't have to be as complex as the chaguaramas boardwalk since the water from Invaders Bay all the way to peakes is not bathable.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 26th, 2022, 10:57 am

^ yes I think the proposed boardwalk is from MovieTowne to Peakes

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 26th, 2022, 12:45 pm

Looks interesting, but what of the environmental impact? I never forgot the reaction to Movietowne's announcement and how effortlessly those objections were dismissed.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 26th, 2022, 2:28 pm

Yet if they pay public servants, they'll have to borrow ent! Logic

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 26th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Les Bain wrote:Looks interesting, but what of the environmental impact? I never forgot the reaction to Movietowne's announcement and how effortlessly those objections were dismissed.

Environment? Who gives a frug about that?

They are going to destroy all the remaining mangrove along the Foreshore. ALL!

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 26th, 2022, 3:01 pm

bluefete wrote:
Les Bain wrote:Looks interesting, but what of the environmental impact? I never forgot the reaction to Movietowne's announcement and how effortlessly those objections were dismissed.

Environment? Who gives a frug about that?

They are going to destroy all the remaining mangrove along the Foreshore. ALL!
"As long as there is oil and gas, the environment could eff itself "
-Patrick Manning

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 4:50 pm

Yes I do recall the pro environmental protests some 22 years ago. They pitched tents on the green center median opposite spectrum (if yuh know yuh know), and protested there.

We are forgetting one really funny fact, the foreshore itself is reclaimed land that obliterated the original mangrove many years ago. West of mucurapo rd was basically sea and mangrove. The original route to head west was via WMR passing right in front of what is Silver Star today. The foreshore lights was once water so I suppose taking a small additional portion of mangrove to facilitate a boardwalk is small ting to the city planners.

I think it's a security mistake to link the boardwalk to cocorite. It come like the govt says they building an extension to the boardwalk by Hyatt and sending it straight to sea lots. But iirc that was part of the original plan. The port is relocated to sea lots and from the light house all the way to Invaders Bay would be our version of Clifton Hill, Toronto or Las Vegas strip, Nevada.

Admittedly I would love to see this mega project come into fruition in my lifetime. It can boost our overall tourism product and perhaps justify the vision for Aeropark at Piarco and an upgrade to the main terminal building.

Where we getting that money from or the investors to pour that money in this terrible economy of ours is another argument. Maybe China?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 26th, 2022, 4:53 pm

so how they picking and choosing who getting to lease the land there ?

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » May 26th, 2022, 5:10 pm

where kublalsingh?

oh wait, wrong party in power

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 26th, 2022, 5:59 pm

Udecott would do the necessaries...but first and foremost the public deserves answers as to what came out of the Uff Commission report. Udecott has to regain public trust after the fiasco of over a decade ago before they start to enter into another mega project.
pugboy wrote:so how they picking and choosing who getting to lease the land there ?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 26th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Derek chain had said that the government stole his plans

https://newsday.co.tt/2018/08/01/chin-j ... heme-park/

2018 article

BUSINESSMAN Derek Chin feels former Joint Consultative Council (JCC) president Afra Raymond may have had a hand in preventing development of his Streets of the World project. Chin said he put in his tenders and proposal for the project which would have been at Invaders’ Bay.

The Urban Development Corporation (Udecott) last week placed an advertisement for current tender requests for expressions of interest for development of lands at Invaders’ Bay, which Chin said came as a surprise to him.

“I was taken aback after having discussions with Mr (Noel) Garcia because he asked me if I was still interested about a month and a half ago and then I see this ad inviting people who may have an interest to tender. It was a kind of surprise and shock to me and Mr Joseph who is the other person to see that.

“My proposal was already approved and we went through the whole process and it was only a matter to get the land allocated so we could go ahead and do the job. We are having a chat with our legal representatives. The projects were all within the scope of what we wanted.

“I was going to do a fantastic job for Trinidad. They didn’t even call me or try to find out if I still have an interest. How could I want to tender again when my vision Streets of the World is in the public domain? What is to prevent another person coming in, putting it back in square one and giving everybody my plan and my vision? All they have to do is change the name and make a couple of modifications and you basically have stolen my idea,” Chin said.

He said $400 million was set aside for the project. “I don’t know if they have somebody to do this and use my exact plans already to tender. My drawings and my plans are already tendered, you can’t be more bold-faced than that. Mr Raymond came out years ago and threw a cloud over the project. I thought he had some kind of agenda, paid by somebody to block the way.”

In response Chin’s claims, Raymond said during his term as JCC president they were not working against any particular developer in that request for proposal situation at Invaders’ Bay under the PP government.

“Our efforts at that time were to seek for the large-scale development of our country to take place in accordance with proper procedure, hence our successful legal challenge against the then Minister of Planning & Sustainable Development.

“I resigned from JCC in November 2015 so I cannot say what is the position of that organisation, but I maintain that development in our country must take place in accordance with proper procedure. I will be able to say more once I have seen the Conceptual Development Plan mentioned in the UDECOTT advert,” he said.

He said the reported suggestions that he could somehow influence state property allocations were comical, but entirely untrue.

“My actual influence is very small, irrespective of which party is in power,” Raymond said. JCC president Dr James Armstrong said he did not think the JCC was trying to block anything.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 28th, 2022, 9:13 am

Dotish JUHN Scarfy said of Sandals he eh business if some hairy foot crab lorse dey habitat, so you get an idea of their stance. Plus the food to be eaten will outweigh any environmental considerations, because the EMA full of sheittly LFD RFD PNM hacks

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » May 28th, 2022, 10:24 am

When is the etc for this project ?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 28th, 2022, 11:02 am

This project is not worth it to anybody other than those controlling the waterfront to bring in their contraband.Yeah ,I said it.....

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » May 28th, 2022, 11:07 am

Cantmis wrote:When is the etc for this project ?

10 years and 240 months.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 29th, 2022, 9:38 am

DMan7 wrote:
Cantmis wrote:When is the etc for this project ?

10 years and 240 months.

Nah iz private food eating, so by next year

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 29th, 2022, 1:07 pm

De Dragon wrote:

Dotish JUHN Scarfy said of Sandals he eh business if some hairy foot crab lorse dey habitat, so you get an idea of their stance. Plus the food to be eaten will outweigh any environmental considerations, because the EMA full of sheittly LFD RFD PNM hacks

The EMA at this point reminds me of that sign from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The one that says "Beware of the Leopard".

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 29th, 2022, 1:26 pm

Les Bain wrote:The one that says "Beware of the Leopard".

LMAO :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”