Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Scrap iron dealers

Postby timelapse » August 29th, 2022, 7:48 pm

adnj wrote:
timelapse wrote:Not sure if real
IMG-20220829-WA0012.jpg
That story is years old. Talk about a time lapse.
Somebody now sent me it.I not on the social media, that's why I said not sure if it real

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 29th, 2022, 8:20 pm

timelapse wrote:
adnj wrote:
timelapse wrote:Not sure if real IMG-20220829-WA0012.jpg
Somebody now sent me it.I not on the social media, that's why I said not sure if it real

I was just joking with you - all apologies. That story was in the paper a long time ago.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 29th, 2022, 10:19 pm

adnj wrote:
timelapse wrote:Not sure if real IMG-20220829-WA0012.jpg

hahaha budum tss

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 29th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Lol!!
wing wrote:
hover11 wrote:They were willing to accept materials that were stolen. Oil flowlines from heritage, tstt cables, manhole covers, people fencing post, a 150 year old church bell. So it should be a permanent ban now.
HmmmScreenshot_2022-08-29-11-54-51-299_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

lollllll

hover is a parrot or a mockingbird?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » September 2nd, 2022, 5:34 pm

September 2nd, 2022
MEDIA RELEASE

Scrap Iron Dealer Held with Pistol, Ammunition, Jewellery and Cash during Exercise

A scrap iron dealer was arrested and a firearm and quantities of ammunition, gold jewellery and cash seized by officers of the Southern Division, during an anti-crime exercise conducted in the St. Margaret’s and Couva districts yesterday.

The exercise was conducted between 4 pm and 7 pm, on Thursday 1st September, 2022, during which officers conducted extensive searches for illegal firearms in the areas.

A search warrant executed at a Claxton Bay compound owned by a 36-year-old scrap iron dealer, resulted in officers finding one Tangfolio pistol loaded with a magazine containing 15 rounds of ammunition. A large quantity of gold jewellery and US and TT currencies were also found on the premises and seized.

The dealer was arrested in connection with the finds.

Investigations are ongoing.

The exercise was coordinated by Snr. Supt. Simon of Central Division and Snr. Supt. Smith of the Southern Division, spearheaded by ASP Jaikaran and Insp. Phillip and included officers of the Southern Division Task Force.

SEE ACCOMPANYING PHOTOGRAPHS

Corporate Communications Unit
September 2nd, 2022

END
FB_IMG_1662154404492.jpg
FB_IMG_1662154406518.jpg
FB_IMG_1662154409899.jpg

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Postby K_J_R » September 2nd, 2022, 6:12 pm

K74T wrote:September 2nd, 2022
MEDIA RELEASE

Scrap Iron Dealer Held with Pistol, Ammunition, Jewellery and Cash during Exercise

A scrap iron dealer was arrested and a firearm and quantities of ammunition, gold jewellery and cash seized by officers of the Southern Division, during an anti-crime exercise conducted in the St. Margaret’s and Couva districts yesterday.

The exercise was conducted between 4 pm and 7 pm, on Thursday 1st September, 2022, during which officers conducted extensive searches for illegal firearms in the areas.

A search warrant executed at a Claxton Bay compound owned by a 36-year-old scrap iron dealer, resulted in officers finding one Tangfolio pistol loaded with a magazine containing 15 rounds of ammunition. A large quantity of gold jewellery and US and TT currencies were also found on the premises and seized.

The dealer was arrested in connection with the finds.

Investigations are ongoing.

The exercise was coordinated by Snr. Supt. Simon of Central Division and Snr. Supt. Smith of the Southern Division, spearheaded by ASP Jaikaran and Insp. Phillip and included officers of the Southern Division Task Force.

SEE ACCOMPANYING PHOTOGRAPHS

Corporate Communications Unit
September 2nd, 2022

END
FB_IMG_1662154409899.jpgFB_IMG_1662154406518.jpgFB_IMG_1662154404492.jpg

dem poleece too damn wicked.

everybody strugglin.

gee dem a bligh nah.

leh dem tief in piece nah.

oh gosh nah. 'low dem nah. scrap iron to d worl.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 26th, 2022, 6:38 am

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 20th, 2022, 7:29 am

Scrap iron dealers want $10m loan from Govt

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/scrap-i ... 2ad1da4d98

LOL

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 20th, 2022, 8:58 am

ask them what they does do with all the usd they making

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 20th, 2022, 9:16 am

They don't make USD themselves. Scrap iron is set up by businesses that require USD and it stays with them. Those "dealers" are just a middle man in the grand scheme.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 20th, 2022, 12:02 pm

dem fer real , gee dem ah lil 10 mil loan jesso

he also said not in that story but i saw it on tv that : he want d govt to open back d industry & d association go police its own members & ensure that they do d right ting :shock: ... :roll:

if u checking pavement covers alone they stole which will take many millions of taxpayers money .to replace cause 4x8 half inch thick steel sheets very expensive + u hadda custom cut back literally thousands of them all over d country ... not checking how many ppl fell in , how ppl hadda watch their feet or cars gone in & get damaged

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 20th, 2022, 12:52 pm

Didn't know the industry was closed????
I always seeing trucks laden with ole iron and they full.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 20th, 2022, 8:38 pm

Dave wrote:Didn't know the industry was closed????

Not closed at all, most yards still operating with a closed gate system. Some of the bigger yards have contracts with state companies, private companies, so they’re still operational. The only yards I saw shut down was some ‘Indian from India’ operated yards.

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Postby K_J_R » November 18th, 2022, 8:41 am

scrap iron men passin in d area buying metal.

"nobody cyah stop we".

reports of theft restarted from houses of older ppl in the community.

Dave wrote:Didn't know the industry was closed????

all exports stopped d minister say.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 18th, 2022, 8:51 am

so did the ministry and dealers assoc put in all the checks and balances they talk about ?
or waiting until the 6months over and back to normal stealing start ?

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Postby K_J_R » November 18th, 2022, 6:27 pm

pugboy wrote:so did the ministry and dealers assoc put in all the checks and balances they talk about ?
or waiting until the 6months over and back to normal stealing start ?

well if scrap tief metal cudda leave the borders before the '6 months' start, we really feel any new laws goin and stop that? was already illegal before.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » November 21st, 2022, 1:39 pm

Have quite a bit of iron to get rid off. Any link to any yard still collecting?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » November 25th, 2022, 11:35 am

Screenshot_20221125-113000_Facebook.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 25th, 2022, 12:22 pm

97.1fm news at noon didnt say all dat , it said d AG drafted a new bill which he will be taking to parliament during next wk ...

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Postby K_J_R » November 25th, 2022, 12:25 pm

K74T wrote:Screenshot_20221125-113000_Facebook.jpg

instead of tiefin cable, dey goin an tief burglar proof and ppl fence an post now then?

okay.

ban all exports for the next year.

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Postby K_J_R » January 24th, 2023, 1:05 pm

scrap men wasnt name as a suspect. but i see d scrap men still passing, ting still tiefin. so may be there is a link?

allyuh could debate dat.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/north-s ... 5f895c8367

Otto Carrington wrote:
Work on the North Stand at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port-of-Spain, the home for Carnival 2023, has been halted after the startling discovery that steel beam components for the construction of the stand have gone missing.

Workers had to down tools and leave the site yesterday, as work could not continue due to the missing steel.

Guardian Media understands from sources that the steel components may have gone missing while the components were stored outside the Carnival season.

This comes just two weeks before the biggest show carded for the Queen’s Park Savannah, the National Panorama Semifinals, is scheduled to take place.

Pan Trinbago is hoping to attract a bumper crowd for the event in celebration of its 60th anniversary.

Guardian Media spoke to one of the workers at the site yesterday. The worker, who did not want to be identified, said work was halted due to the missing steel, since it means they cannot continue mounting up other critical sections of the stand due to the missing parts. He added that the authorities had been trying to keep the issue quiet but also noted the workers were facing other issues at the site.

“We are building this stand, however, we are facing risky and unfavourable conditions and the contractors as well are not treating us fairly. We are faced with many challenges but we are here despite it all because we know our role is important to the country for the season, but we are speaking out so that the country can see the challenges that we are currently facing at the Queen’s Park Savannah,” the worker claimed.

While Guardian Media was visiting the North Stand site, there were no workers on-site and only a few officials.

Contacted on the issue, National Carnival Commission chairman Winston “Gyspy” Peters confirmed that the steel beams were, in fact, missing.

“I could not tell you the amount of steel that is missing or from where on the North Stand it came. At this moment, I am awaiting a report as to all that occurred in this matter so I cannot say more at this time on the matter,” Peters said.

He added, “The missing steel might delay the construction of North Stand somewhat, because it is something that we have to get done, but I am sure with the resilience that we have in this country and we will get it done.”

The NCC chairman noted that this issue was not unique to this year, as steel for the North Stand has been missing in the past with other versions of the North Stand design.

Guardian Media understands that Sheron Sampath Construction Limited was awarded the contract to construct the North Stand and the company is currently sourcing replacement steel components to replace the missing components for the completion of the North Stand.

The North Stand has not been in use since 2019, when the NCC opted not to construct it for festivities then citing financial costs.

Back then, Peters said the stand serves no useful purpose and is not an economically viable option for Carnival festivities because it “is basically used for just one event, and that is the Panorama—and after that, nothing happens. That stand costs too much to put up and take down.”

The North Stand is usually constructed for the Carnival period and then disassembled after it is concluded.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 24th, 2023, 1:22 pm

For a few years while in UWI and there after I worked for the contractor that always won the tender to construct the North Stand and Stage. The people that you had to "hire" just to maintain some semblance of peace on the site was a veritable who's who of "community leaders".

There were losses but never entire steel beams.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 24th, 2023, 1:34 pm

remember culture ministry was controlled by yuille williams, personal fren of bakr
and pos south is marlene, personal fren of sealots

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 24th, 2023, 1:37 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:For a few years while in UWI and there after I worked for the contractor that always won the tender to construct the North Stand and Stage. The people that you had to "hire" just to maintain some semblance of peace on the site was a veritable who's who of "community leaders".

I forgot what's the name for this.

In tendering you have to put aside an expense for vex money and you have to hire some people from around the area so they won't jump up and say work sharing in the community and no work for community people. If these community people can't get work you have to dig into your vex money expenses because operation costs are about to increase.

In any operation people from the surrounding environs have to get a lil ting.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 24th, 2023, 1:42 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:For a few years while in UWI and there after I worked for the contractor that always won the tender to construct the North Stand and Stage. The people that you had to "hire" just to maintain some semblance of peace on the site was a veritable who's who of "community leaders".

In tendering you have to put aside an expense for vex money and you have to hire some people from around the area so they won't jump up and say work sharing in the community and no work for community people. If these community people can't get work you have to dig into your vex money expenses because operation costs are about to increase.

MOWT who back then handled the North Stand and Stage construction on behalf of NCC knew that a contingency % had to be budgeted for community leaders.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » January 24th, 2023, 1:46 pm

nervewrecker wrote:

Not sure of the exact term but it's akin to protection money because you sometimes have to hire these same characters as security to prevent they themselves from stealing material. That's why certain communities will never go beyond where they are and it's sad that contractors have to set aside a budget for this nonsense instead of the army being called out to run actual security. This sort of thing legitimizes the racket when it is now seen as a normal part of a tender

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 24th, 2023, 2:52 pm

^^ that's called extortion.

Any recommendations for a place that I can sell a barrel full of old car parts near Grand Bazaar? I just want to pull in there and tip the barrel over.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 24th, 2023, 3:31 pm

adnj wrote:^^ that's called extortion.

Any recommendations for a place that I can sell a barrel full of old car parts near Grand Bazaar? I just want to pull in there and tip the barrel over.

WWGD??
Governments here embraced instead of vilifying the "community leaders".

However on the flipside, between that first company I worked for and then another well known local contractor I have seen tens of sub contractors names who I would have dealt with directly or indirectly in the papers - either they were murdered or are in jail for murder. The garbage sometimes deals with itself.

Can't say I know any scrap car parts dealer nah.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 24th, 2023, 4:16 pm

Place by the airport still operating?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 24th, 2023, 4:40 pm

isnt that the owned by the same association head ?

timelapse wrote:

Place by the airport still operating?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”