Forums

Most Useless University Degrees in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Re: Most Useless University Degrees in Trinidad

Postby alfa » July 19th, 2022, 10:53 am

Les Bain wrote:When would it be too late to learn a trade? I've been fascinated by woodworking, landscaping and fabrication for over a decade now. Although my degree has been useful, the general feeling is that its rewards were not proportionate to the time spent obtaining it.

It's never too old to learn the trades unlike say medicine where your have a small window when you're young. Nesc and mic should be your best places to start for fabrication at least, good mix of theory and practical

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » July 19th, 2022, 10:54 am

adnj wrote:Many people change careers or retire to become skilled craftsmen. And vice versa - the average person changes careers 5 to 6 times in their lifetime.

Gone are the days when you can start an industrial apprenticeship at 15, work your way up the ladder and retire from said company as a superintendent

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » July 19th, 2022, 11:35 am

alfa wrote:
Les Bain wrote:When would it be too late to learn a trade? I've been fascinated by woodworking, landscaping and fabrication for over a decade now. Although my degree has been useful, the general feeling is that its rewards were not proportionate to the time spent obtaining it.

It's never too old to learn the trades unlike say medicine where your have a small window when you're young. Nesc and mic should be your best places to start for fabrication at least, good mix of theory and practical

Thanks! Will explore that avenue.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 19th, 2022, 1:26 pm

alfa wrote:

Maybe you're thinking about playing the piano or the violin? There are many medical schools in the US that have students that are over 40 years old. There are many nursing schools and law schools that have students over 50.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » July 19th, 2022, 2:54 pm

adnj wrote:
alfa wrote:

Maybe you're thinking about playing the piano or the violin? There are many medical schools in the US that have students that are over 40 years old. There are many nursing schools and law schools that have students over 50.

In T&T lots and lots Peeps are studying to improve knowledge .

Life is not always about curry and domestic violence.

And flood .

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 19th, 2022, 3:50 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
adnj wrote:
alfa wrote:

In T&T lots and lots Peeps are studying to improve knowledge .

Life is not always about curry and domestic violence.

And flood .
My life is completely about flood rn.fml.
Starting construction of the new place next year,God willing.

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 6th, 2023, 1:49 pm

Now its really my fault but i took the path of trade and doing electrical in NESC, bai pressure, Can anybody offer advice about this place, also how does it compare to UTT and MIC?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » February 6th, 2023, 2:09 pm

Bachelor's of theology, tell me why?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 6th, 2023, 2:23 pm

hover11 wrote:Bachelor's of theology, tell me why?
Joel Olsteen has a theology degree.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » February 6th, 2023, 2:25 pm

Richard Coer de Poulet wrote:Now its really my fault but i took the path of trade and doing electrical in NESC, bai pressure, Can anybody offer advice about this place, also how does it compare to UTT and MIC?

Mic and nesc and similar as they both equip you to become a competent trades person, in your case industrial electrician. Companies that are looking for such people to install and upgrade electrical systems and hard wire controls and switchgear will look for people like you.
Utt on the other hand produces technicians who will maintain said systems after an industrial electrician installs it. Utt grads are more into the electronic side of things as many newer plants are using plc controls as well as a lot of computerized systems and this is what they are trained for. I was an electrical lab assistant in utt as well as an electrical tech in the oil industry so I have a good idea of these things

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 6th, 2023, 3:21 pm

Thanks alfa, what gone on was I read tuner post before i signed up n i choose NESC over the rest, they took everybody n i was very happy but when i reach on campus (in September) it was different story, the class have bad tools and equipment, the workshop shoddy and the men in d class is a setta hooligans who cant even do basic maths, some of these men eh even have a subject. it starting to get 2 me cus my classmates in utt, while the maths looking hard and the equipment shoddy the place eh looking like a cattle pen.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 6th, 2023, 3:33 pm

adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:Bachelor's of theology, tell me why?
Joel Olsteen has a theology degree.

Survivorship bias. I sure it have many multi millionaires with gender studies degrees.

Joel Osteen coulda tithe his way to millions without a high school diploma if he wanted to.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 6th, 2023, 3:34 pm

Richard Coer de Poulet wrote:Thanks alfa, what gone on was I read tuner post before i signed up n i choose NESC over the rest, they took everybody n i was very happy but when i reach on campus (in September) it was different story, the class have bad tools and equipment, the workshop shoddy and the men in d class is a setta hooligans who cant even do basic maths, some of these men eh even have a subject. it starting to get 2 me cus my classmates in utt, while the maths looking hard and the equipment shoddy the place eh looking like a cattle pen.

Sounds just like UWI to be honest

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 7th, 2023, 6:41 am

Richard Coer de Poulet wrote:Thanks alfa, what gone on was I read tuner post before i signed up n i choose NESC over the rest, they took everybody n i was very happy but when i reach on campus (in September) it was different story, the class have bad tools and equipment, the workshop shoddy and the men in d class is a setta hooligans who cant even do basic maths, some of these men eh even have a subject. it starting to get 2 me cus my classmates in utt, while the maths looking hard and the equipment shoddy the place eh looking like a cattle pen.
Because they lowered the bar for entry into institutions to make up headcount. Increased headcount = increased funding.

Even with it lowered, qualifications do not speak for etiquette. It seems to be something extinct in and outside the classroom. Make no mistake however, they know when to present themselves as proper. After that is back to the usual usual.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 7th, 2023, 8:10 am

you'd be surprised , UTT diploma programme has wastemen too. Some of them smart enough to get the CXC grades or did a pre-requisite course to do the programme. THe degree separates the wastemen from the smartmen

The equipment actually aight inno. John D kinda shakey, but Omera and Pt Lisas tops.

Engineering maths will always be hard, it supposed to be hard. but it not impossible.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 7th, 2023, 9:58 am

Any degree or qualification is worthless without use.

You can buy the most expensive drill in the world, but if you don't have use for a drill - it will be worthless.

Education should be considered an investment coupled with your longer term goals and career trajectory - whether that's self-employed or otherwise.

Of course, if you're entrenched in Babylon systems, you will need advanced degrees to move beyond certain gates/gatekeepers. If you're self employed, an MBA can help - but so to can EdX or YouTube.

Use the right tool for the right job at the right price and at the right time.

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 7th, 2023, 1:03 pm

@nervewrecker yes that is true, men in la brea say they didnt write no exam they just filled the campus, @ruffneck_12 yes that is true 2 cus my padna is one lol and he seeing rel pressa, now nesc point lisas is a rel good campus rel construction going on but bai everywhere else like in my campus the electrical lab like a jail plus we have one class for 50 men. i mean i understand money hard but oh gosh i swear the campus woulda be a lil better

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 7th, 2023, 1:05 pm

@VexXx Dogg yes that is sense, i wish i did pay more attention to maths class, it is really practical cus like to measure things and do up angles quick meh brain steaming but better late than never. i don print a setta thing on the ppl printer, i go teach myself and see so back to algebra

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 7th, 2023, 1:10 pm

anybody gone to NESC Saint Madeline from here? the instructors are former students and they say things was not so bad

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » February 7th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Richard Coer de Poulet wrote:@nervewrecker yes that is true, men in la brea say they didnt write no exam they just filled the campus, @ruffneck_12 yes that is true 2 cus my padna is one lol and he seeing rel pressa, now nesc point lisas is a rel good campus rel construction going on but bai everywhere else like in my campus the electrical lab like a jail plus we have one class for 50 men. i mean i understand money hard but oh gosh i swear the campus woulda be a lil better

The lack of facilities and equipment while bad for learning may not be a total waste experience. When you go into the industries especially the old ones you will find equipment decades old and literally falling apart and they will expect you to work miracles with limited tools. So this is actually a good experience as you will have to learn to improvise on a daily basis to get things done. Salvaging a scrap yard for a functional part is a daily occurrence out there to the point you'll feel like you're Sanford's son.
Forget the hooligans and who there to waste time, once you make the best effort and brush up on the maths you should be fine. You don't have to be the best tech initially but having the best attitude will get you places. Plenty skilled people out there are actually crack heads or smart man and employers want nothing to do with them

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » February 7th, 2023, 4:21 pm

Take it as a blessing instead of a curse.

Working on woft equipment and classrooms WILL make you better in your field than everybody else who had the luxury of new stuff and pretty classroom training.

Some of the most brilliant technicians I have ever worked with went junior sec and old tech after.

They ran circles around expats who came from first world systems.

ALL of them are well respected not only in the company but on a worldwide scale.

Plenty of them eventually jump out and made it big outside.

School is just a piece of paper, the application of your knowledge is all that really matters when time comes to execute the job.

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » February 9th, 2023, 12:34 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Any degree or qualification is worthless without use.

You can buy the most expensive drill in the world, but if you don't have use for a drill - it will be worthless.

Education should be considered an investment coupled with your longer term goals and career trajectory - whether that's self-employed or otherwise.

Of course, if you're entrenched in Babylon systems, you will need advanced degrees to move beyond certain gates/gatekeepers. If you're self employed, an MBA can help - but so to can EdX or YouTube.

Use the right tool for the right job at the right price and at the right time.

This is the best advice in this thread.

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 10th, 2023, 8:01 am

I completely understand what u all was saying, take my own responsibility and be proactive as @alfa say "Salvaging a scrap yard for a functional part is a daily occurrence out there to the point you'll feel like you're Sanford's son" i getting rel plenty experience with that lmao. thank you for the words fellas i hope to be like you all one day. i might even log the journey here ha ha I have to pay my dues.

Jared Mohammed
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Jared Mohammed » February 10th, 2023, 8:43 am

I'd recommend going to University for any degree, the knowledge and experience you obtain through there and the social connections you make are priceless. It doesn't matter if you do not use your degree in the field of work, just by having a degree will show employers that you are willing to make sacrifices and adhere to goals.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » February 10th, 2023, 10:54 am

Jared Mohammed wrote:I'd recommend going to University for any degree, the knowledge and experience you obtain through there and the social connections you make are priceless. It doesn't matter if you do not use your degree in the field of work, just by having a degree will show employers that you are willing to make sacrifices and adhere to goals.

have you ever had a job? you speak quite carelessly assuming employers are looking for something specific when they are not. unless you have experience then you should not 'recommend' things to people. if people listen to you, state to them that what your are saying is of your opinion and does not reflect the reality because you dont have much experience or exposure.

there are many people holding certain degrees that do not have a job, or have a job that isnt in their field of study (more commonly administration jobs).

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 10th, 2023, 11:10 am

Jared Mohammed wrote:I'd recommend going to University for any degree, the knowledge and experience you obtain through there and the social connections you make are priceless. It doesn't matter if you do not use your degree in the field of work, just by having a degree will show employers that you are willing to make sacrifices and adhere to goals.

Wrong...

As the topic says, many university degrees are useless. Also, many degrees have been watered down to lower costs and churn out students every year so that the said school can look good to the public and make bank. This was especially true during the first decade of GATE.

Yes you do gain knowledge and social connections at the university level, but REAL knowledge and social connections are when you are actually out in the workplace, jobsite, field, etc.

Showing your employer that "you are willing to make sacrifices and adhere to goals" was true over three maybe two decades ago but today doesn't cut it. You must have an edge to differentiate yourself. You know how many persons out there have book sense or have degrees some even cum laude graduates but jobless? A recession like what we in right now usually exposes all of this.

Remember this is Trinidad, we operate on nepotism and "who know who to get thru".

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 10th, 2023, 11:13 am

There's some merit to what he saying tho

Companies looking for accreditation AND experience in the field.

Basic accreditation + experience would get you far in this world.
Just like how an expert on volcanoes running a country that has no volcanoes :)

Throw in Links, work ethic and networking skills into the mix and you will be unstoppable.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » February 10th, 2023, 11:45 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:There's some merit to what he saying tho

Companies looking for accreditation AND experience in the field.

Basic accreditation + experience would get you far in this world.
Just like how an expert on volcanoes running a country that has no volcanoes :)

Throw in Links, work ethic and networking skills into the mix and you will be unstoppable.
Companies want ready made workers they not willing to train people but expect you to have training

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 10th, 2023, 11:47 am

Hadda come out university with 20 years experience at 21 years old an ting

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » February 10th, 2023, 11:59 am

Why do ppl have Bsc in agriculture in Trinidad ?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”