Forums

RBL Visa Debit uses??

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

RBL Visa Debit uses??

Postby Chris00007 » September 3rd, 2022, 12:47 am

So I recently figure out that I could use my Visa Debit card from republic bank for payments locally. This is the linx card with the chip in it (and visa logo). But I want to know if this card could be used online too. Maybe to fund a PayPal account or make Google payments etc.

Anybody ever use this card for any payments outside of T&T?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: RBL Visa Debit uses??

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2022, 1:38 am

See this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=760506

Most of the local banks switched their LINX cards to Visa Debit cards, however they removed or limited many of the features. You can use it at a foreign ATM but not at a store, you can’t use it for online payments either and you are limited to the daily amount you can withdraw from a foreign ATM (around US$100/day). And yes it uses your TT$ in your local T&T bank account at the bank conversion rate at the time of withdrawal plus fees.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » September 3rd, 2022, 1:59 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:See this thread
https://trinituner.com/v4/forums/viewto ... 4&t=760506

Most of the local banks switched their LINX cards to Visa Debit cards, however they removed or limited many of the features. You can use it at a foreign ATM but not at a store, you can’t use it for online payments either and you are limited to the daily amount you can withdraw from a foreign ATM (around US$100/day). And yes it uses your TT$ in your local T&T bank account at the bank conversion rate at the time of withdrawal plus fees.

Well thats a shame. Why give us access to new technology if they just gonna put so much restrictions on it. SMH

Anyways, is there any way to get some money into a PayPal account without a credit card locally?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 3rd, 2022, 12:12 pm

Their VTM card could have done that but they not renewing it :x .

I did get the new link visa debit card and i am able to do local online transactions like paying TTEC WASA and Digicel bills but can't do foreign transactions like shopping on Amazon. I tried to top up my phone but like the site uses a foreign payment processor so it didn't work whereas it used to work with my VTM card.

Perhaps try to see if any other bank have visa debit cards that can do international transactions.

By the way anyone notice strange alerts related to places where u used the RBL visa debit card? I get about 4 alerts recently for each utility bill I paid with it saying a declined transaction occurred. But this happened days after I paid the bill which went through successfully.

And this wasn't the first time it happened a couple times before and not around the time I actually paid the bill.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2022, 12:45 pm

Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 12.39.20 PM.jpg

I have a RBL VTM Visa Debit card added to PayPal, that works.
However the "Linx" Visa Debit cards don't work on PayPal. I tried adding mine (See image above)
I put Linx in quotation marks cause it's not a Linx card per see, the banks replaced Linx cards with Visa Debit cards as they have chip and pin and tap to pay features etc.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 3rd, 2022, 1:23 pm

He needs to get a credit card.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2022, 1:26 pm

bluefete wrote:

He needs to get a credit card.

Or a Visa Debit card from a bank that allows online purchases.
Keep in mind with a T&T PayPal account you can use both Visa and MasterCard to pay for items, but only a Visa card can be used to withdraw funds from your PayPal account.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 3rd, 2022, 1:48 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 12.39.20 PM.jpg

However the "Linx" Visa Debit cards don't work on PayPal. I tried adding mine (See image above)
I put Linx in quotation marks cause it's not a Linx card per see, the banks replaced Linx cards with Visa Debit cards as they have chip and pin and tap to pay features etc.

How your RBL vtm card still working? They not renewing those.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 3rd, 2022, 3:08 pm

redmanjp wrote:

I wondering the same

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 3rd, 2022, 3:24 pm

So Scotia and RBC visa debit can make local online payments, but Republic one can't? that's nice.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » September 3rd, 2022, 3:47 pm

Chris00007 , let me tell you about the order of things.

back when this country gained independence in 1962, the country was set up under what we call today as a protectionist economy. foreign goods and services were highly regulated and inaccessible to the average man, except through the government or private companies tightly controlled by the government. apples and grapes were a rarity on the island. most islanders did not get to eat them or even see them.

over the decades, that stance shifted and most islanders came to demand what we now consider a globalized economy. apple and grapes everywhere. island youths do not remember a time before apple and grapes. the shift happened relatively recently in our history- the NAR and the IMF got the ball rolling in the early 90's and it really got steam when the PM himself-- the late great Patrick Augustus Mervin Manning-- brought the dream of a small, open economy into the national roadmap with his Vision 2020 policies.

But God did not will it to happen. Manning lost, Kamla won, and Keith does not see the point -- so the vision of a small, open economy was left 'half way done.' What we have now is the facade of globalization policy undermined by an administration deeply rooted in protectionism.

and that, dear Chris00007 is the order of things and why the men of the realm would rather put the realm to the torch than see a woman on the throne.

edit: and also why you can't get usd from your linx card

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2022, 4:50 pm

redmanjp wrote:

Mine expires in 2023. They won’t renew it after that.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 3rd, 2022, 4:52 pm

paid_influencer wrote:Chris00007 , let me tell you about the order of things.

back when this country gained independence in 1962, the country was set up under what we call today as a protectionist economy. foreign goods and services were highly regulated and inaccessible to the average man, except through the government or private companies tightly controlled by the government. apples and grapes were a rarity on the island. most islanders did not get to eat them or even see them.

over the decades, that stance shifted and most islanders came to demand what we now consider a globalized economy. apple and grapes everywhere. island youths do not remember a time before apple and grapes. the shift happened relatively recently in our history- the NAR and the IMF got the ball rolling in the early 90's and it really got steam when the PM himself-- the late great Patrick Augustus Mervin Manning-- brought the dream of a small, open economy into the national roadmap with his Vision 2020 policies.

But God did not will it to happen. Manning lost, Kamla won, and Keith does not see the point -- so the vision of a small, open economy was left 'half way done.' What we have now is the facade of globalization policy undermined by an administration deeply rooted in protectionism.

and that, dear Chris00007 is the order of things and why the men of the realm would rather put the realm to the torch than see a woman on the throne.

edit: and also why you can't get usd from your linx card
Not quite. Blame the compliance requirements for participation in sending funds of any denomination transnationally when a US financial institution is involved.

Here's the relevant passage:

U.S. financial regulators oversee and monitor compliance with anti-money laundering (AML) requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) to prevent, detect, and deter the laundering of proceeds from narcotics trafficking and other illicit activities using a risk-based examination approach. The Department of the Treasury's (Treasury) Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) administers the BSA and related AML regulations, which provides the legal framework for combating money laundering. The BSA includes requirements for financial institutions to retain various records of customer transactions, verify customers' identity, maintain effective AML programs, and report suspicious transactions. FinCEN relies on a variety of U.S. financial regulators and agencies to help FinCEN oversee and monitor financial institutions' compliance with the BSA. U.S. financial regulators and FinCEN also collaborate directly with counterparts in other Western Hemisphere countries and through international working groups to identify and reduce risks to the financial sector by sharing information and analysis on financial crimes.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-17-684

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2022, 5:52 pm

^ yup the bigger global banks have been de-risking Caribbean banks and that means limiting what transactions can take place or making it more difficult to carry out.
https://internationalbanker.com/banking ... n-banking/

In other words and grossly simplified, US banks find it's too risky to allow Caribbean bank customers to just whip out their savings account card (Linx) and use it to buy stuff on Amazon or receive funds via PayPal because of rampant smart men in the region.
We make it worse for our own selves.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » September 3rd, 2022, 6:09 pm

nah, not that. we could send US$ via wire transfer, no problem, if we could get funds at the bank.

problem is it have no US$ funds.

because we have a subsidized below-market-rate exchange rate available for the few (not you)

because we have an economy that is defacto protectionist and uses soft-forex-controls to prevent the movement of capital by individual islanders

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 3rd, 2022, 7:34 pm

paid_influencer wrote:nah, not that. we could send US$ via wire transfer, no problem, if we could get funds at the bank.

problem is it have no US$ funds.

because we have a subsidized below-market-rate exchange rate available for the few (not you)

because we have an economy that is defacto protectionist and uses soft-forex-controls to prevent the movement of capital by individual islanders

Log onto Amazon.com and pay your bill with TT dollars - no need to get any foreign exchange. Amazon is giving 6.95TT to 1US. Everyone with a credit card qualifies.

Trying to run a delivery-only retail business from your granny's back room with no employees, a Facebook web page, a prepaid SIM number, and a bunch of bullshitt that anyone else could buy from AliExpress or IndiaMart for less money? Different answer.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 4th, 2022, 11:52 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

when did u get it? cuz i swear is years now u couldnt get a new one even when they were still renewing existing ones.

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » September 6th, 2022, 11:55 pm

Used my RBC visa debit recently in the states. Had no issues other than the hefty $50 charge per transaction.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 7th, 2022, 12:59 am

thelem-again wrote:Used my RBC visa debit recently in the states. Had no issues other than the hefty $50 charge per transaction.

the one that replaced the link card or a normal international visa debit?

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » September 9th, 2022, 9:57 am

redmanjp wrote:
thelem-again wrote:Used my RBC visa debit recently in the states. Had no issues other than the hefty $50 charge per transaction.

the one that replaced the link card or a normal international visa debit?

The one that replaced the linx card.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 10th, 2022, 9:58 am

redmanjp wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

when did u get it? cuz i swear is years now u couldnt get a new one even when they were still renewing existing ones.

Wow probably over 10 years now. Renewed twice already and the last time I went to renew they said they not renewing any more.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 10th, 2022, 10:00 am

TT$50?
And did you use it at an ATM or in a store (point of sale)?

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » September 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

TT$50?
And did you use it at an ATM or in a store (point of sale)?

I used it at numerous point of sales. From Panda Express to Mc Donald’s to Burlington to Target. No issues.

Just each transaction once settled had a $50 charge added to it once converted.

So if a sandwich was $6USD I was charged $41.22TTD + $50TTD. And if I spent $100USD in target that same day it was $687TTD + $50TTD.

I don’t expect ATM’s to be an issue because even before chip cards, I was able to use the RBC cards at ATM’s like Chase or those bodegas ATM’s. Cost was similar. Around $40TTD per transaction.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » September 12th, 2022, 5:15 pm

checking the RBC website, apparently they offer a few different Visa Debit cards. One if the Visa Debit Classic which can be used abroad.

More virtual purchasing power

Your RBC Royal Bank Visa Debit Card is welcomed online, by telephone or by mail order at most merchants in North America and around the world. Shop online, book a hotel or car rental, pay for music, order online games, make recurring payments and so much more.

but they also have a Visa Debit Domestic, which is local-only.

I've been checking Scotiabank website and it apparently their Visa debit card works overseas as well, but with US$ 3.5 fee + 2% of the transaction total.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » September 13th, 2022, 7:58 am

JMMB's is only 4.50 TTD per International PoS transaction, but there are no international withdrawals and you have a 250 USD limit per month. Not that bad for small day to day purchases.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » April 1st, 2023, 3:42 pm

First time I decide to make a payment online with debit card, just got a few things on P'Mart app... feeling nice and ting I gonna use my rbl visa debit and BAM dis chupid notification shoot out.

Way really going on? Anybody else use their debit card online in pricesmart before? (Yes the card have money )
Screenshot_20230401_153650.jpg

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 1st, 2023, 3:45 pm

Nah don't add a debit card to anything. Only credit card. Also remember is only local online transactions. PriceSmart probably processes it through whatever company Costco uses.

You can call the bank credit card center and see what they say, maybe they have to authorize something.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » April 1st, 2023, 4:10 pm

maj. tom wrote:Nah don't add a debit card to anything. Only credit card. Also remember is only local online transactions. PriceSmart probably processes it through whatever company Costco uses.

You can call the bank credit card center and see what they say, maybe they have to authorize something.
Okay thanks I was thinking something like that, always use cc but this time I say lemme try out the Visa logo capabilities with rbl. Disappointed.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 1st, 2023, 4:40 pm

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » June 7th, 2023, 6:11 pm

went in to RBL to get a manager's cheque. while preparing it the woman say you can now swipe your linx to pay up to $50,000 point of sale!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”