Forums

Connecting flights with short layover

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nightcrawler
Sweet on this forum

Connecting flights with short layover

Postby nightcrawler » March 29th, 2023, 1:31 pm

This is my first time taking a connecting flight so need some info. Las vegas to Houston airport then Houston to piarco. Is 1hr 35 mins enough time for me to catch my flight to Trinidad?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Connecting flights with short layover

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 29th, 2023, 1:38 pm

Internal flight you safe with 1-2 hours barring any delays. Even under an hour.

If your connecting flight is first port of entry to another city (like POS to Houston then to Wes coast) - take 3-4 hours layover because of the CBP processing

trinigamer
Trinituner Peong

Postby trinigamer » March 29th, 2023, 1:40 pm

It should be, you would normally just move from one gate to another inside the terminal, no need to go through security again.

If you were going in the other direction, it would be a different story - exit plane go through CBP and then find gate.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 29th, 2023, 2:25 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Internal flight you safe with 1-2 hours barring any delays. Even under an hour.

If your connecting flight is first port of entry to another city (like POS to Houston then to Wes coast) - take 3-4 hours layover because of the CBP processing

Good advice, always allow for delays in baggage claim, CBP, etc.
Off but on topic, what is the best way to pay for 4 tickets exceeding $3000 USD (Scotia Aero limit) mindful of the criminal banks and incompetent government USD restrictions?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » March 29th, 2023, 2:30 pm

35mins to catch an international flight.
Not impossible, hope your internal flight has no delays.
I normally do an overnight for that return leg, has come in handy on at least three occasions

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 29th, 2023, 2:58 pm

De Dragon wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:Internal flight you safe with 1-2 hours barring any delays. Even under an hour.

Off but on topic, what is the best way to pay for 4 tickets exceeding $3000 USD (Scotia Aero limit) mindful of the criminal banks and incompetent government USD restrictions?
Use a friend's card who have more than that limit. Or go a travel agency and pay tt

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » March 29th, 2023, 3:43 pm

nightcrawler wrote:This is my first time taking a connecting flight so need some info. Las vegas to Houston airport then Houston to piarco. Is 1hr 35 mins enough time for me to catch my flight to Trinidad?

if it's all one flight you're on from Las Vegas to Trinidad, then you'll be fine since your luggage will be diverted to the next plane without you having to get it.

additionally, you shouldn't have to go thru security at Houston but since it's the port of exit, will hadda get your passport stamp out. so more than likely you'll be guided to immigration within the terminal.

however if you booked it as 2 separate flights --- good luck.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 29th, 2023, 3:47 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Use a friend's card who have more than that limit. Or go a travel agency and pay tt

That's depressing if those are the options, but thanks anyway.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » March 29th, 2023, 4:06 pm

De Dragon wrote:

Buy those that you can get the day before the US limit resets. Then buy the other ones. Some sites allow you to pay a nominal fee to lock in a price for 48-72 hours.

Ideally you want to allow 3-4 hours of layover time for international flights and 1-2 hours for domestic connections. Personally I like longer layovers so I can explore the delights of foreign airports.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 29th, 2023, 5:07 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Buy those that you can get the day before the US limit resets. Then buy the other ones. Some sites allow you to pay a nominal fee to lock in a price for 48-72 hours.

Ideally you want to allow 3-4 hours of layover time for international flights and 1-2 hours for domestic connections. Personally I like longer layovers so I can explore the delights of foreign airports.

Not bad but you'd need time, because now you're negatively affecting your balance for when you are abroad if you do it that way.

*Єʋρнoяιa*
Ricer

Postby *Єʋρнoяιa* » March 29th, 2023, 8:07 pm

De Dragon wrote:

You can request a temporary limit increase from your bank (provide supporting documents ex. sample itinerary).
Alternatively some travel sites allow you to pay in installments i.e. the CC you pay the down payment remains on file and they charge the balance in month's time (depending how far in advance you book your trip).

On another note, short layovers are risky, as you can never tell if there can be possible delays with any leg of your trip. In my opinion always be safe than sorry.

Tezzadude
Ricer

Postby Tezzadude » March 30th, 2023, 9:54 am

nightcrawler wrote:This is my first time taking a connecting flight so need some info. Las vegas to Houston airport then Houston to piarco. Is 1hr 35 mins enough time for me to catch my flight to Trinidad?
It depends. Is the connection the same airline? Sometimes a connecting flight can be at a different concourse if the final flight is with another airline, which can require that you pass through TSA again.

If your connecting flight is the same airline then it would be the same gate area.

Since you're coming to POS from IAH then you are obviously traveling with United. So if your LAS to IAH flight is also United, there is also a slight probability that your IAH to POS flight could be the very same gate and plane.

I flew in from a west coast city into IAH and when I gathered myself after leaving the aircraft to go look for my connection gate, I turned around and saw C15, next flight POS. In other words my arrival gate was also my departure gate.

A quick check on your United app can confirm where your plane is coming from. You get its flight history for a few days and I confirmed it was the very same plane.

So anywhere between an hr and above to allow your connection transition is safe. It allows you to use the restroom and probably get something to eat and settle yourself for the next flight. Health wise it's good to get some stretch time in-between flights as long sitting hours can cause blood clots and we don't want that.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 30th, 2023, 10:42 am

Usually it's fine within the same airline. I once had a 2 hour connection with Copa through Panama but the flight leaving was late.

A few of us trinis missed the flight back to Trinidad, but Copa booked us on the next available flight and paid for our accommodation for the night.

It's fine once it's within the same airline.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » March 30th, 2023, 5:30 pm

It is enough time once your flight is with same carrier or codeshare so that your bags can be sent directly to Trinidad.

P.s. ensure you book the flight as one ticket from same carrier / codeshare because if you miss your connecting flight due to delay of 1st flight it is responsibility of airline to resolve issue ( I.e. rebooking of tickets, accommodation, meals, etc.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 30th, 2023, 6:19 pm

I almost missed a flight coming from jetblue montreal to toronto(domestic) and cal to piarco(international) with similar time frame

the jetblue was 20mins late landing in flight and by the time passengers disembark etc it is easily another 15-20mins and then to physically get to where the next flight was and out of domestic into international side/xray etc was cutting it very close.

we were lucky in that we passed the cal counter but on the outer domestic side and told them to wait and they held on whilst we got to the security checkin with everybody else in that terminal which is another source of delays.
if the terminal was designed where we could not speak to them they may have left us.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 30th, 2023, 6:21 pm

get a next credit card
scotia has another plain blue visa card with minimal annual fee once you use $1100tt a month or something

De Dragon wrote:

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 30th, 2023, 9:08 pm

Got through. Moved the date up a few days and the cheaper tickets were within the allowable USD balance.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 30th, 2023, 9:32 pm

your other option might be via a travel agent
its a problem we will all face, at least those with limited credit card forex

De Dragon wrote:Got through. Moved the date up a few days and the cheaper tickets were within the allowable USD balance.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 30th, 2023, 9:41 pm

pugboy wrote:your other option might be via a travel agent
its a problem we will all face, at least those with limited credit card forex

De Dragon wrote:Got through. Moved the date up a few days and the cheaper tickets were within the allowable USD balance.

Yeah it sucks, because in addition to the CC limits, you're also limited in how much cash the bank is willing to give you. Good thing I've got some that I've been gathering for a while :?

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » February 1st, 2024, 11:25 pm

Ok I have 2 questions concerning booking a flight

1. The final cost (for 6 tickets) is about US$4500.00. Can I discuss with scotiabank to increase that US$3000.00 limit to pay for the tickets?

2. I entered everyone's name as it appears on their passport i.e. middle name as well, but I noticed that the final first name is concatenated. Would this cause an issue on boarding? e.g John Ryan Doe was combined as "Johnryan Doe"
I don't think I ever noticed that before.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » February 1st, 2024, 11:26 pm

Would it be easier just to leave out middle names?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 1st, 2024, 11:52 pm

Passport name must match boarding pass name. You can correct it with the airline booking either online or calling them.

I read of two recent cases and it's quite serious apparently.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/air-transat-porter-ticket-name-error-1.7031098

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/11/29/speakers-corner-family-booted-off-air-canada-flight-calling-for-changes/

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » February 2nd, 2024, 4:11 am

goalpost wrote:Ok I have 2 questions concerning booking a flight

1. The final cost (for 6 tickets) is about US$4500.00. Can I discuss with scotiabank to increase that US$3000.00 limit to pay for the tickets?

2. I entered everyone's name as it appears on their passport i.e. middle name as well, but I noticed that the final first name is concatenated. Would this cause an issue on boarding? e.g John Ryan Doe was combined as "Johnryan Doe"
I don't think I ever noticed that before.

That's how it usually is, with the first and middle name appended to each other.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 2nd, 2024, 5:26 am

good luck with the bank bumping your limit up

i booked an american airlines flight recently without my middle name even though passport has middle name

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”