TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
User avatar
Animal Pak
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 237
Joined: September 13th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Animal Pak » September 3rd, 2022, 4:10 pm

kamakazi wrote:That feeling you get that your AC feels like its choking you or you want to sneeze... Yeah it is time to change your cabin filter. Mine was properly dirty after the last 30000kms, however in terms of time, the "19" meant that some years had passed before it was changed. My bad for tracking by mileage and not by time.

I was using a Fram fresh breeze filter with activated charcoal, which was purchased online. Recently installed a brand called Denkermann which isn't as dense and allows the blower to pull more air through it at the same settings which translates to more air blown into the cabin.



Link to this?

Mine is due for change and more air in cabin is what I want

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » September 3rd, 2022, 7:20 pm

I runnin a k&n now
No issues since
I find cabin filter just rel overpriced

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2783
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » September 4th, 2022, 8:24 am

Animal Pak wrote:
kamakazi wrote:That feeling you get that your AC feels like its choking you or you want to sneeze... Yeah it is time to change your cabin filter. Mine was properly dirty after the last 30000kms, however in terms of time, the "19" meant that some years had passed before it was changed. My bad for tracking by mileage and not by time.

I was using a Fram fresh breeze filter with activated charcoal, which was purchased online. Recently installed a brand called Denkermann which isn't as dense and allows the blower to pull more air through it at the same settings which translates to more air blown into the cabin.



Link to this?

Mine is due for change and more air in cabin is what I want

It was sold by TK auto in San Fernando for $95



Didn't know K & N made cabin filters

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » September 4th, 2022, 11:23 am

kamakazi wrote:
Animal Pak wrote:
kamakazi wrote:That feeling you get that your AC feels like its choking you or you want to sneeze... Yeah it is time to change your cabin filter. Mine was properly dirty after the last 30000kms, however in terms of time, the "19" meant that some years had passed before it was changed. My bad for tracking by mileage and not by time.

I was using a Fram fresh breeze filter with activated charcoal, which was purchased online. Recently installed a brand called Denkermann which isn't as dense and allows the blower to pull more air through it at the same settings which translates to more air blown into the cabin.



Link to this?

Mine is due for change and more air in cabin is what I want

It was sold by TK auto in San Fernando for $95



Didn't know K & N made cabin filters
Yea
They do now
And the good part its, its multi vehicle
So that particular filter fits the vigo and revo hilux, almera/b15, suzuki vitara
And a lot of ppl think its oil based like the engine filter, its not, the filter refresher is a waterbased electrostatic enhancer.
So you can wash and refresh and install without completely drying the filter media.

User avatar
Animal Pak
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 237
Joined: September 13th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Animal Pak » September 4th, 2022, 12:05 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
Animal Pak wrote:
kamakazi wrote:That feeling you get that your AC feels like its choking you or you want to sneeze... Yeah it is time to change your cabin filter. Mine was properly dirty after the last 30000kms, however in terms of time, the "19" meant that some years had passed before it was changed. My bad for tracking by mileage and not by time.

I was using a Fram fresh breeze filter with activated charcoal, which was purchased online. Recently installed a brand called Denkermann which isn't as dense and allows the blower to pull more air through it at the same settings which translates to more air blown into the cabin.



Link to this?

Mine is due for change and more air in cabin is what I want

It was sold by TK auto in San Fernando for $95



Didn't know K & N made cabin filters
Yea
They do now
And the good part its, its multi vehicle
So that particular filter fits the vigo and revo hilux, almera/b15, suzuki vitara
And a lot of ppl think its oil based like the engine filter, its not, the filter refresher is a waterbased electrostatic enhancer.
So you can wash and refresh and install without completely drying the filter media.



You have a part number for this?

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2783
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » September 4th, 2022, 2:36 pm

I'm guessing vf2000 based on my cross reference search

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » September 4th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Animal Pak wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
Animal Pak wrote:
kamakazi wrote:That feeling you get that your AC feels like its choking you or you want to sneeze... Yeah it is time to change your cabin filter. Mine was properly dirty after the last 30000kms, however in terms of time, the "19" meant that some years had passed before it was changed. My bad for tracking by mileage and not by time.

I was using a Fram fresh breeze filter with activated charcoal, which was purchased online. Recently installed a brand called Denkermann which isn't as dense and allows the blower to pull more air through it at the same settings which translates to more air blown into the cabin.



Link to this?

Mine is due for change and more air in cabin is what I want

It was sold by TK auto in San Fernando for $95



Didn't know K & N made cabin filters
Yea
They do now
And the good part its, its multi vehicle
So that particular filter fits the vigo and revo hilux, almera/b15, suzuki vitara
And a lot of ppl think its oil based like the engine filter, its not, the filter refresher is a waterbased electrostatic enhancer.
So you can wash and refresh and install without completely drying the filter media.



You have a part number for this?
kamakazi wrote:I'm guessing vf2000 based on my cross reference search
Yes
That same one vf2000

User avatar
nick639v2
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2380
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby nick639v2 » September 12th, 2022, 12:34 pm

PDA fortuner soon to be joining the house. It has less than 100,000kms on the clock (86000 I think). TTTL model diesel

Help me out a bit:
Is it a 1kd?
Any problems lurking in these?
Maintenance preferences?
Keep it or flip it for fast cash?

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » September 12th, 2022, 12:56 pm

nick639v2 wrote:PDA fortuner soon to be joining the house. It has less than 100,000kms on the clock (86000 I think). TTTL model diesel

Help me out a bit:
Is it a 1kd?
Any problems lurking in these?
Maintenance preferences?
Keep it or flip it for fast cash?


Yes
If its a local, it will be a 1kd-FTV

Problems: usual hilux type problems: warped rotors, fuel gauge, iffy brake lights, alternator pulley, a/c compressor, sweating on tappet cover gasket, EGR build up (if equipped)
But at that mileage/age, you wont have much issues

Maintenance: 15w40 oil of your choice, stick to original filters. In fact, use as much original parts as possible....

Keep or flip? : thats up to you, next ting yuh start driving it and like it...

User avatar
nick639v2
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2380
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby nick639v2 » September 12th, 2022, 3:59 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:PDA fortuner soon to be joining the house. It has less than 100,000kms on the clock (86000 I think). TTTL model diesel

Help me out a bit:
Is it a 1kd?
Any problems lurking in these?
Maintenance preferences?
Keep it or flip it for fast cash?


Yes
If its a local, it will be a 1kd-FTV

Problems: usual hilux type problems: warped rotors, fuel gauge, iffy brake lights, alternator pulley, a/c compressor, sweating on tappet cover gasket, EGR build up (if equipped)
But at that mileage/age, you wont have much issues

Maintenance: 15w40 oil of your choice, stick to original filters. In fact, use as much original parts as possible....

Keep or flip? : thats up to you, next ting yuh start driving it and like it...


No dpf.

Yea that van only see highway and running for minutes on the daily so its in pretty good condition mechanically. Facelifted model as well so it’ll be the replacement for the wifey vitara. Cheers, Thanks

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2783
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » September 12th, 2022, 7:09 pm

Possible sticking VN turbo vanes due to soot.

User avatar
nick639v2
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2380
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby nick639v2 » September 19th, 2022, 1:44 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Keep or flip? : thats up to you, next ting yuh start driving it and like it...


I driving it round but I find this riding real harsh boy, I can’t daily this over the np300 na.

Tyres and rims are oem spec with 30psi, all suspension components original.

Any advice?

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » September 19th, 2022, 3:21 pm

nick639v2 wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Keep or flip? : thats up to you, next ting yuh start driving it and like it...


I driving it round but I find this riding real harsh boy, I can’t daily this over the np300 na.

Tyres and rims are oem spec with 30psi, all suspension components original.

Any advice?
What brand of tires?
Some cheaper tirss does be iffy with the pressures

Also
Take it for a suspension check

Sometimes little things like bad swaybar bushing and/or linkages does have it riding bad.

Or could be shocks on their way out...


Side note: if yuh doh like the van, drop it by me, i go take good care of it....

User avatar
nick639v2
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2380
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby nick639v2 » September 19th, 2022, 3:43 pm

Bridgestone dueler ht on it. Suspension get check out already from Toyota, but I feel I’ll give mileage Mack a shout when I in that area for a second opinion.

Gonna start digging in it just now. Lil deck upgrade and k&n next service for it.

Thanks

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » September 19th, 2022, 6:34 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Bridgestone dueler ht on it. Suspension get check out already from Toyota, but I feel I’ll give mileage Mack a shout when I in that area for a second opinion.

Gonna start digging in it just now. Lil deck upgrade and k&n next service for it.

Thanks


Well thats good tires dey

Yea, get a 2nd opinion

K&N is a nice investment IMO, plenty ppl does get issues, but most times its due to misuse (over-oiling)

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2783
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » September 19th, 2022, 7:03 pm

nick639v2 wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Keep or flip? : thats up to you, next ting yuh start driving it and like it...


I driving it round but I find this riding real harsh boy, I can’t daily this over the np300 na.

Tyres and rims are oem spec with 30psi, all suspension components original.

Any advice?
Isn't it 29 psi... Not sure how much difference 1 psi can make though

Unsure if Michelin still makes the cross terrain SUV ht tyres... They were the most comfortable tyre I've ever come across.
The maxxis ht 750 or 770 are a close second.

I wouldn't recommend k&n engine air filters... But it is your van and your money. Just hold any k&n filter up to the light and you will see the problem.

User avatar
nick639v2
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2380
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby nick639v2 » October 10th, 2022, 4:25 pm

Gave the fortuner some running. Still not comfortable like the other vehicles to me but it here to stay. I rechecked all suspension and it’s up to mark, the guys at MM said tyres do have to change soon as they’re pretty hard and are about to develop cracks (5 year old according to manufactured date).

User avatar
carluva
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 1983
Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 2:03 pm
Location: Down in the homeland

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby carluva » October 11th, 2022, 10:33 am

nick639v2 wrote:PDA fortuner soon to be joining the house. It has less than 100,000kms on the clock (86000 I think). TTTL model diesel

Help me out a bit:
Is it a 1kd?
Any problems lurking in these?
Maintenance preferences?
Keep it or flip it for fast cash?


Nick. You've made a good purchase. Let me share my personal experiences with this same model vehicle.

You would have the KUN-51 model Fortuner which comes with the 3.0 D4D 1KD-FTV engine. As it's a TTTL model, there is a >99% chance it did not come outfitted with a EGR system (i.e. EGR blanked off from the factory). This is good news for this vehicle as our low quality diesel does not augur well for a EGR system.

The 1KD-FTV engine is undeniably one of the best diesel engines ever produced by Toyota. It is a tank - built to last and built for harsh conditions. This same engine has been proven to exceed >500,000 km in harsh Australian outback conditions.

As with everything else, maintenance is key to proper performance. Follow the guidelines in your owner's manual. At the end of the manual is a very extensive breakdown of the maintenance requirements at the different intervals. Treat this as the minimum requirements. If anything - change your oil every 5,000 km. I use a 10W40 synthetic oil and still change every 5,000 km (Although sometimes I will push to a 6,000 km simply because it's synthetic). If using a non-synthetic - stick to every 5,000 km. Diesel and injector flush, transmission oil replacement, transfer case oil replacement, differential oil replacement every 40,000 km. At 86,000km on your odometer, if not already done, plan to do the latter. PM me for a fantastic Master Service Technician in South Trinidad if you are interested.

As kronik said, use original components right through. The only exception are those I have noted below which is strictly up to you.

The common problem I see is with the high mounted rear stop lamp. There are 6-7 LEDs in there and sometimes one of them randomly goes off. I thought I could replace a single bulb, but the lamp is a whole single assembly. So, I just leave it.

Another common problem is with the 319mm front rotors. With this model Fortuner and Hilux, there is a known manufacturer defect with the rotor and as such the rotor warps fairly quickly. I had the original rotor replaced with a Toyota original (under warranty) at 56,000 km. Thereafter, I replaced the original at about 80,000 km with an aftermarket rotor and pads (DBA slotted rotor and Hawk pads). I only have put 20,000 km or so on them but the vehicle is drive quite hard and it seems as though the components are holding up quite favourably.

The only upgrades I did to our Fortuner were: addition of a diff breather kit; replacement of the stock 17" wheels to the 18" wheels from the TDL~ series Hilux; replacement/upgrade of the suspension; and upgrade of the factory head unit/speakers and small amplifier (SQ system).

On to the ride quality. You have to temper your expectations. This Fortuner is a 15+ year old vehicle. While there have been several facelifts, everything under the vehicle body remains largely the same - engine, chassis (which it shares with the Hilux), suspension, etc. Compared to vehicles of this age class, the Fortuner ride is pretty decent (i.e. comparing apples with apples). Comparing to a vehicle such as Vitara which is in a completely different class is not a fair matchup. Comparing to your newer NP300 is also an unfair comparison. The rides of the Vitara and the NP300 will be vastly different to that of the Fortuner. The ride quality of our Hilux is far superior to the Fortuner, simply because of advancements in the suspension components.

I will say that perhaps your shock absorbers are on their way out. I found the ride quality was ok on ours. Until I replaced the front shocks and springs and the rear struts and the ride quality drastically improved. All my four shocks were dead - no (or slow) rebound so poor damping. Despite this however the ride was not as bad as one would imagine. It has to be with the way these shocks are engineered but even though they were dead(ish) the vehicle ride was still ok. Now however (with stiffer Bilstein coils in front wrapped around the 60 mm, 6112 absorbers and original coils at the rear with ARB OME struts), the ride quality is far superior and beautiful. I do not go off road with this vehicle but the suspension components are engineered for off road. But with our road conditions, this vehicle is king on some bad roads where it'll just effortlessly go through. FYI - the Bilstein 6112 coil overs have a circlip which is adjustable to change ride height to give more lift anywhere between 0.6" to 2.5". I have mines at the lowest setting simply because I do not want any lift. At 0.6" the vehicle rake had reduced from factory setting. Before, I would have had about a 1.5" rake between rear and front. But with the new components, rake is reduced to about 0.5" between rear and front. Still looks ok though. But most importantly, the ride is far superior.

So, I would suggest that you replace your suspension components now or close to 100,000 km (which is typically a good go-by for suspension replacement, subject to driving conditions). Oh yes - for highways use, the upgraded suspension is marvellous and smooth. Mileage Mack and TTTL will only check suspension components such as mounts etc. for wear and tear. They will also inspect shock absorbers for wear. But the only way to know if your shocks are dying is to remove from the vehicle, remove spring (for front) and check the rebound. Otherwise, you will never know. And if you are going through all that trouble, may as well replace. And if you are replacing, go good after market as performance and cost is much better than the original.

Tyres... me personally, Bridgestone... blech! I have found Bridgestone tyres are hard (as in large treadwear value) and rough. Kumho as well. Your ride harshness could also be due to a hard (or high treadwear value) on the tyre, coupled with a worn, old tyre. I got the Michelin HT tyres with my 18" wheels and those tyres are a dream. My advice on tyres for mostly highway use would be a softer HT tyre or AT tyre (with 80% Highway/20% mild off road per manufacturer design specs). Going to a 50/50 AT will compromise ride quality on highway but give you some assurance on slightly worse off road tracks. I have heard good things about the Toyo Open Country but personally have not felt the tyre ride to be able to judge same.

Whether you flip for cash or not is entirely up to you. The vehicle holds value and believe it or not, there are persons out there who would buy second, third or even fourth hand. As a reliable family vehicle, this Fortuner is excellent and would serve as keeper for sure.

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2783
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » November 6th, 2022, 3:54 pm

Bosch new formulation brake pads are a disappointment. They switched to this semi metallic like material that leaves a rust colored dust on your rims, on the surface and embedded in the rim in line with the brake disc.
They also don't have much life in them after 35000kms; for comparison my original set lasted 95000kms.

I purchased a set of HI-Q Severe Duty brake pads to try, and initial impressions are very good. They stop similar to OE pads and when pushed hard, don't have a lot of detectable scents and maintains a similar level of stopping power as the temps climb (within reason for the road).

I was a bit hesitant about the brand seeing as I've experienced the HI-Q standard pads on a vehicle at work which feels like it doesn't want to stop until the very last second (the brakes don't feel like they have been applied until after 1-2 seconds of application which isn't confidence inspiring). It could be air in the system but I can't say for sure.

I have to admit though that the backing shims that come on the HI-Q pads are just way too small. Ended up reusing the OE shims with some brake grease to help dampen any noise due to vibration. Something I'm keeping my eye on is that the swept area by the pad appears slightly smaller than the Bosch pads that t these replaced

Just have to see how long they last.

Other things to note. The front brake system was bled during installation. I am using DOT 4 brake fluid at the time being.

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » November 7th, 2022, 11:09 am

Aye fellaz

I have a 5/6 switch panel with the cig lighter ports for the grey interior vigo/champs

Great for adding accessories and OE fit switches

Asking $400

I have the lighter ports, they just need to be reinstalled

And a brand new pair of vigo tweeter covers
Great upgrade for the 2.5 models
New in sealed package
$600

Pm if interested
20220704_194300.jpg
20221025_084245.jpg

User avatar
nick639v2
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2380
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby nick639v2 » November 16th, 2022, 1:02 pm

Checkin in,

Tyres change on the Tuna.
Went ballsy with the Toyo AT3. The ride changed 10 fold to the better. When the guy took off the Bridgestone it was clear as day how hard and cracked the tyres were.

Decided to try the AT3 and let the tuna be test dummy first because either way the same size tyres was going on my np300 so if the wife didn’t like it or it’s too noisy it was just transferring over. But they’ll stay, very quiet, comfortable and didn’t take away steering responsiveness . 10/10 would recommend.

Anyone knows where I could get door visors for this model btw? Seems to be a rare find

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8616
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » November 16th, 2022, 3:07 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Checkin in,

Tyres change on the Tuna.
Went ballsy with the Toyo AT3. The ride changed 10 fold to the better. When the guy took off the Bridgestone it was clear as day how hard and cracked the tyres were.

Decided to try the AT3 and let the tuna be test dummy first because either way the same size tyres was going on my np300 so if the wife didn’t like it or it’s too noisy it was just transferring over. But they’ll stay, very quiet, comfortable and didn’t take away steering responsiveness . 10/10 would recommend.

Anyone knows where I could get door visors for this model btw? Seems to be a rare find


Could never go wrong with them toyos
I runnin the AT2 and i cant fault them except for their weight and they clog with mud really quick (not that it matters for a daily driver)

After 3 years, 40k kms, they are still over ½ life and never repaired a single one, they always balance with no issues, run mostly quiet for an AT (when compared to all them cheaper brands other vehicles in the family are using) and no loss of performance in wet conditions


Overall, i rate them highly

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests