TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2865
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » February 17th, 2023, 8:58 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Did you use a dash integration harness?

Or did you all cut and join?

The harness is really easy to prepare when out of the vehicle

As regards bass

Smallest foot print items i can think off will be a 6" or 8" sub behind the back seat
And a mini amp eg. a stetsom

20210917_162314.jpg
20210918_195023.jpg
I was sold an iso to Toyota wiring harness...I cut the iso end and soldered it to the deck harness; the one that comes in the box with your deck

Thanks for the suggestions

User avatar
*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11109
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: VIP SECTION

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 11th, 2023, 12:00 pm

hey guys,

I wanna change my transmission and power steering fluid in my toyota hilux 2103
Are both liquids the same to use - ATF type IV?
Also how many quarts will I need
Thanks !!

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9079
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » July 11th, 2023, 2:08 pm

*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:hey guys,

I wanna change my transmission and power steering fluid in my toyota hilux 2103
Are both liquids the same to use - ATF type IV?
Also how many quarts will I need
Thanks !!
Drain and refill on the tranny takes about 3.5quarts toyota type T4 fluid

And the power steering system takes about 2 quarts to flush

User avatar
*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11109
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: VIP SECTION

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 12th, 2023, 7:50 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:hey guys,

I wanna change my transmission and power steering fluid in my toyota hilux 2103
Are both liquids the same to use - ATF type IV?
Also how many quarts will I need
Thanks !!
Drain and refill on the tranny takes about 3.5quarts toyota type T4 fluid

And the power steering system takes about 2 quarts to flush


ok Great ! so about 6 quarts in total...
its the same type 4 for both right

what is the change intervals for these

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9079
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » July 12th, 2023, 8:06 am

*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:hey guys,

I wanna change my transmission and power steering fluid in my toyota hilux 2103
Are both liquids the same to use - ATF type IV?
Also how many quarts will I need
Thanks !!
Drain and refill on the tranny takes about 3.5quarts toyota type T4 fluid

And the power steering system takes about 2 quarts to flush


ok Great ! so about 6 quarts in total...
its the same type 4 for both right

what is the change intervals for these
You can use the fluid both ways, yes
But i use ATF for my tranny and STP power steering fluid

Change interval supposed to be 40,000kms.

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 18001
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Dave » July 12th, 2023, 11:25 am

Have a service on a gas Hilux to do and need to know what oil filter and number is popularly used as this seems to be a unicorn of a vehicle.

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 18001
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Dave » July 13th, 2023, 11:57 am

Got a Sankei Roki filter for it. 90915-YZZD2 size.

User avatar
matix
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2172
Joined: October 23rd, 2008, 12:38 pm
Location: trinidad
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby matix » July 13th, 2023, 12:55 pm

Dave wrote:Got a Sankei Roki filter for it. 90915-YZZD2 size.


Don’t know why I saw ‘roti filter’

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 18001
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Dave » July 13th, 2023, 1:00 pm

Lol. When I first typed it autocorrected and put Roku.
Sankei brand which is the 555 line. Feels quite heavy.
This is a take over service to learn the condition of the engine so will see how it works and maybe might use again if owner wants to use conventional oil from now on.

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2865
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » July 13th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Dave wrote:Have a service on a gas Hilux to do and need to know what oil filter and number is popularly used as this seems to be a unicorn of a vehicle.
It is supposed to be the same filter that works on the diesel Hilux... Probably not the longer aftermarket ones but the Purolator l10241 is supposed to fit up easily

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 18001
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Dave » July 13th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Thanks. I saw that as the filter for this as well.
I will get the Purolator next time.
kamakazi wrote:
Dave wrote:Have a service on a gas Hilux to do and need to know what oil filter and number is popularly used as this seems to be a unicorn of a vehicle.
It is supposed to be the same filter that works on the diesel Hilux... Probably not the longer aftermarket ones but the Purolator l10241 is supposed to fit up easily

User avatar
*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11109
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: VIP SECTION

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 13th, 2023, 6:05 pm

original toyota filter is always better in my POV and its not that expensive

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2865
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » July 13th, 2023, 7:31 pm

*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:original toyota filter is always better in my POV and its not that expensive
Yeah... But that was before they started cutting corners and using cheaper products.

Unless it's a made in Japan Denso oil filter. Couldn't be bothered

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 18001
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Dave » July 13th, 2023, 7:51 pm

Exactly this.

Toyota, Nissan or any other car manufacturer does not makes parts. It goes out to a bidder which isn't necessarily always the best.

I almost never buy original parts but the best aftermarket money can buy.


kamakazi wrote:
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:original toyota filter is always better in my POV and its not that expensive
Yeah... But that was before they started cutting corners and using cheaper products.

Unless it's a made in Japan Denso oil filter. Couldn't be bothered

User avatar
tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter
Posts: 10958
Joined: October 23rd, 2006, 1:02 pm
Location: Is ah ranking ting
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby tr1ad » March 24th, 2024, 9:17 pm

Does the 2.5 (Vigo Champ) local from TTTL come with an EGR?

After 4 years (mileage at 134,000km) seems sluggish sometimes and fuel economy real dropped off - sometimes a 1/4 tank to PoS from South, but it’s now and then.
Van feels like something is holding it back at times or just heavy and lazy.

So considering what could it be - EGR, maybe IAT sensor
Cleaned the IAT by the filter box, no MAF on this model and it has the van feeling real light and zippy, but then after a couple days it feels heavy again, maybe it’s the IAT I’m not sure.

No engine check light, I know with two days up the highway (no traffic 4am and back down by 1), and three days short runs in south (less than 20km each day) I’m getting about 350 km and the gauge shows almost to 1/4

kamakazi
punchin NOS
Posts: 2865
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » March 27th, 2024, 2:48 pm

No EGR

My mileage calculation shows reduced mileage(like 8.5km/l)but I am running a larger tyre and wheel than the stock 15s (265/70r17) and I let my van idle more than usual.

I haven't cleaned a thing... Except injector cleaner/diesel additives over the course of 141000kms
Everything else regularly maintained
Last edited by kamakazi on March 27th, 2024, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter
Posts: 10958
Joined: October 23rd, 2006, 1:02 pm
Location: Is ah ranking ting
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby tr1ad » March 27th, 2024, 3:22 pm

kamakazi wrote:No EGR

My mileage calculation shows reduced mileage(like 8.5km/l)but I am running a larger tyre and wheel than the stock 15s and I let my van idle more than usual.

I haven't cleaned a thing... Except injector cleaner/diesel additives over the course of 141000kms
Everything else regularly maintained

Thanks, I’ve also up on 17” will probably run an injector purge

User avatar
PariaMan
punchin NOS
Posts: 3185
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 10:38 am

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby PariaMan » March 27th, 2024, 4:08 pm

Same here reduced milage but bigger tyres

Regular additives as well

Van pulls real good like new but milage less than what I here other people getting

User avatar
tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter
Posts: 10958
Joined: October 23rd, 2006, 1:02 pm
Location: Is ah ranking ting
Contact:

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby tr1ad » March 28th, 2024, 9:26 am

PariaMan wrote:Same here reduced milage but bigger tyres

Regular additives as well

Van pulls real good like new but milage less than what I here other people getting


Normal with age ? Or driving style and add ons?

I’ve tried Amsoil additives and Redline in the past, have had the occasional diesel kleen and gumout within recent times, probably not often enough

pugboy
TunerGod
Posts: 25452
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby pugboy » April 4th, 2024, 6:03 am

which gas station you buy from ?
maybe you got a dirty batch from a station with dirty tanks.

I get 9km/l sometime 10 with my 2.5, running falken wildpeak which I think a slightly taller tires than stock
previously had slightly smaller tires and would get 10.5

I would suggest getting injectors flushed and recalibrated, you need to go by somebody who has computer to do it.
I go by Saleem in princestown, he tweaked the ecu the last time I did it and it noticeable better now with that tweak compared to other times when he just did the flush and recalibration.

tr1ad wrote:
PariaMan wrote:Same here reduced milage but bigger tyres

Regular additives as well

Van pulls real good like new but milage less than what I here other people getting


Normal with age ? Or driving style and add ons?

I’ve tried Amsoil additives and Redline in the past, have had the occasional diesel kleen and gumout within recent times, probably not often enough

User avatar
PariaMan
punchin NOS
Posts: 3185
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 10:38 am

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby PariaMan » April 5th, 2024, 7:23 am

I think is the bigger tyres and the leveling kit Van pulls like brand new otherwise.

pugboy
TunerGod
Posts: 25452
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby pugboy » April 5th, 2024, 7:35 am

yeah, check how much diff the diameter increased

PariaMan wrote:I think is the bigger tyres and the leveling kit Van pulls like brand new otherwise.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron