TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Is your rubber any good..?? A tyre guide for your 4x4...

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Slack
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Is your rubber any good..?? A tyre guide for your 4x4...

Postby Slack » March 19th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Good choice Leo..... Have those on the Ranger since last year.... excellent tread wear and works beautifully....

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 20th, 2014, 2:07 am

Their is a lot of "meat" on those wheels.
Might I inquire as to how they grip on paved surfaces.
Would also like to know if and how bad this tyre "chunks"

Respect nod for the mean look

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 28th, 2014, 10:13 pm

so far I've put about 1100km on them on highway, main roads, b-type roads and went offroading with them on a grade 2+ trail this past weekend.

Basic rundown - they rock!!

On pavement, they are surprisingly quiet, you'd be shocked at how quiet they really are... I'll try to post an audio recording of the in-cabin noise levels at 100km/h I did earleir this week. Only at 100+ km/h speeds you'll notice a mild hum.... it's like when you stand near to a TTEC power-line transfomer that's going bad and is making a humming noise.

Dry grip - very good... holds very well on cornering and under emergency braking. No complaints whatsoever, considering both the tires and the truck are heavier than most compact/midsized trucks available in trinidad.

Wet grip - we in dry season... gimme a couple weeks and I'll update ya.

Trail/offroad - was in a muddy/sapatay trail on the North Coast this past weekend. Suffice it to say, I was able to put the truck in 4Lo, and was basically letting it crawl up the trails by itself, I took my both feet off the accelerator/clutch and the things just walked up the trail. At one point the trail went upwards and was off-camber so the truck was sliding into a high bank to the left.... and the side-biters literally gripped onto that clay wall of the bank and just continued up in 4Lo / 2nd gear... didnt' even need to modulate my throttle.
Only thing that stopped the truck on the Nitto's was flex and ground clearance.... need to get 35" tires now!!!!

(and the wife loves the super-aggressive look and loves how mean the truck looks now, so I got that going too... which is nice...)

@ slack - thanks buddy, I've been looking at these tires over a year now and I intend to stretch them to their limits (esp. with regards to wear and treadlife).

Only complaint - they heavy!! My suspension setup currently has adjustable dampening shocks, and I had to set them to medium/high dampening to get a nice smooth ride. WHen set to low dampening, those heavy tires get pelted around like big bags of wet eddoes.

Basically... i frigging love these tires, and would buy them again in a heartbeat. I feel like they were made for my truck....

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 4th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Anyone have personal experience with the Kumho KL 78 that Mileage Mack sells?

sandbank
Riding on 13's

Postby sandbank » April 8th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Hammer. Where did you purchase your Nitto?
Looking for some 305/70/16

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » June 21st, 2014, 10:23 pm

in the market for some tires the Kumho served me well for the past two and a half Years. Wne to Mileage Mack this morning for pricing

did not really get a chance to talk with the guys there but the TOYO and Kumho were the same price at $1,100.00 before VAT but did not get the specs of the tire
Will be looking again next weekend

another place that opened up recently had hi-five or what ever the hell it's called for $900.00 before VAT

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 22nd, 2014, 12:52 pm

ronsin1 wrote:in the market for some tires the Kumho served me well for the past two and a half Years. Wne to Mileage Mack this morning for pricing

did not really get a chance to talk with the guys there but the TOYO and Kumho were the same price at $1,100.00 before VAT but did not get the specs of the tire
Will be looking again next weekend

another place that opened up recently had hi-five or what ever the hell it's called for $900.00 before VAT

I was looking into the Kumho's as well but after some more research I ended up with the Firestone Destination A/T's and they are excellent! Good grip in dry/wet and bead fuh days :lol:
I bought my set at M Ramrattan in Marabella couple months ago, the place just after Monroe Road flyover when heading south on the highway had also, Wheels Plus I think is the name.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » June 22nd, 2014, 1:03 pm

I will check with M Ramrattan next week it already on my list

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » June 27th, 2014, 7:53 pm

what size are you looking at ronsin1? I had the toyos on our pickup and those seemed to have lasted around 45,000km (but that was pushing it) on mostly highway runs, with the occasional mild off/ poorly paved road treks. recently put on the firestones, think it came up to around $1250 VI/ tire

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » June 27th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Anyone got any stock new bridgestone duelers 2657015. Like those off the 2.5 4x4 lux? Need two

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 27th, 2014, 8:03 pm

↑↑ I think M Ramrattan sells those and might have them in Stock. .. Give them a call

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » June 29th, 2014, 10:23 am

I bought the Firestone Destination Yesterday from M. Ramrattan. $1250.00 per tire

VERY GOOD SERVICE

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 29th, 2014, 11:16 am

ronsin1 wrote:I bought the Firestone Destination Yesterday from M. Ramrattan. $1250.00 per tire

VERY GOOD SERVICE

Yes, their service is excellent. You can see when people are interested in customer satisfaction.

Corn Bird
Sweet on this forum

Re:

Postby Corn Bird » July 6th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Cooper wrote:The Dueler 693's I got from the factory with my van are starting to display some dangerous behavior.

... felt the back stepping out on the first turn but it still held on to the road. One the second turn it got serious, I skidded into oncoming traffic and almost got broadsided. Had similar behavior with the little rain in central over the weekend. Back was stepping out while I was driving through corners in Lange Park...and this is at a really slow speed.

got the same problem with the duelers that came stock with the hilux. after about 30,000 km the back started sliding out in a little rain. changed them for michelin cross terrains; no problems since

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Re:

Postby mitch1980 » July 9th, 2014, 11:21 am

Corn Bird wrote:
Cooper wrote:The Dueler 693's I got from the factory with my van are starting to display some dangerous behavior.

... felt the back stepping out on the first turn but it still held on to the road. One the second turn it got serious, I skidded into oncoming traffic and almost got broadsided. Had similar behavior with the little rain in central over the weekend. Back was stepping out while I was driving through corners in Lange Park...and this is at a really slow speed.

got the same problem with the duelers that came stock with the hilux. after about 30,000 km the back started sliding out in a little rain. changed them for michelin cross terrains; no problems since

I think this is the common problem with the Lowend Bridgestone Duellers (600 series- 684II etc) the vehicle comes with

My hilux fishtailed on 30km/hr wet road....wife driving ...tyres were 45,000 km old at the time

i switched immediately ...got the Kumho KL 51 Road venture- Highway tires
Excellent improvement and extremely good treadware....one year old ...35,000km and more than half the treadware available.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 10th, 2014, 8:25 pm

The Bridgestone dueler 840H/T is in that same category of scary and comes factory fitted on
2.5 hilux
Isuzu d-max
Chervolet Colorado
Mitsu l200 (I believe)

rolling
Riding on 13's

Postby rolling » July 13th, 2014, 7:00 am

where can i get the dunlop tyres?

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » July 24th, 2014, 9:54 am

kamakazi wrote:The Bridgestone dueler 840H/T is in that same category of scary and comes factory fitted on
2.5 hilux
Isuzu d-max
Chervolet Colorado
Mitsu l200 (I believe)

Also
Suzuki Vitara...

these are "banana peel" tyres...good on dry and "SCARY" on wet

Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Postby Esharcangel » August 14th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Good Day Tuners,

Need some advice. I bought a Frontier roughly 8 months now, got it with Perilli Scorpions 265/70/16 (new brand 2 wks old). I drive roughly 160km a day, with averagely 60km on winding roads.
Anyone who knows east well and knows how to go to Biche through the Forest reserve will know what i'm talking about. (lots and lots of corners)
The road literally eat up those perilli's in that time, and over the years tyres has gotten pretty expensive, at least $5000 for a set.
Van wears tyres evenly, no aligenment problem.
On avg it seems i'll have to change tyres around twices per year. that means $10,000 in tyres!!!!!
I already changing oil every month....so its a little on the costly side

Need some advice on some good tyres, reasonably priced that will last some time, at least 1 1/2yrs or so.

Thanks.

Havoc
Sweet on this forum

Postby Havoc » August 14th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Sry to say but u can't get much better than pirelli scorpions bro, but it mite be worth checking out bfgoodrich if ur looking specifically for an all-terrian tyre

Another option wud be to go wit a highway tyre over an all-terrain... better traction, longer life and on the cheaper end of the price scale

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 14th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Longevity and grip usually do not go hand in hand. But if it is longevity you seek the higher the treadwear value the longer a tyre lasts. This value is not however comparable between different brands of tyre
I would also advise you to note the temperature grade of the tyre as the higher it is the better it is at handling heat. If the roads are as twisty as you describe. ... the heat generated can actually cause the tyre to wear out faster.

I personally am a fan of the maxxis bravo series of tyres for pickups and suvs.

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » August 14th, 2014, 6:20 pm

you'd be better off looking at mileage rather than time. In one year alone you're looking at well over 50,000 kms.
The BF Goodrich A/T is an excellent tire on and off road, but is on the pricey side; there's usually a few sales throughout the year where you get 4 for the price of three but this might not sync up with your timing.
I'm using a set of Firestone Destination A/T and it's a great all rounder; costs around $1250 VI/ tire, and in my experience tends to hold out quite well.

Esharcangel
Street 2NR

Postby Esharcangel » August 15th, 2014, 8:27 am

Thanks for the info guys. It seems i'll have to do some shoping around and some research. May change of to the Sailun Brand (heard some good reviews) or the Maxxis as kamakazi mentioned.
And start looking for a better job !!! :shock:
Thanks alot

gundelero
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gundelero » February 19th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Guys,

Do you know where I can get Hercules All-Trac, 245/70/16? What prices as well?

Thanks.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » February 19th, 2015, 4:59 pm

gundelero wrote:Guys,

Do you know where I can get Hercules All-Trac, 245/70/16? What prices as well?

Thanks.

^^^
duncan village san fernando...next to canan Presbyterian school...900 ...my father got 275/65/16 there ...white writings

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 9th, 2015, 8:56 am

I Bought on Saturday the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. 265/65/17.

It was mranked No 2 ahead of Brands like BFG KO and Michelin LTX AT2 yet was costing 1280 + vat less 10% for buying 4 tires. So I went with it.
Last edited by PariaMan on March 9th, 2015, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 9th, 2015, 8:57 am

This is how it looks!
Attachments
gy_wrang_atadvkev_owl_ci2_l.jpg
gy_wrang_atadvkev_owl_ci2_l.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 19932 times

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » March 10th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Looking for 265/65/17 BFG or any others ATs or MTs

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 10th, 2015, 9:35 pm

So far i have been pushing it on wet or dry does not give an inch. No mud yet. Tread wear is 620 so i hope it will last long

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 24th, 2015, 10:12 pm

took off the rear bridgestones dueler h/t 840 from hilux today.

the threads on those tires are very squishy and soft, no wonder they have problems in wet.
also they carry "C" rating on them, ie commercial load carrying, lower speed non-passenger

Tire guy said there is a regular version also which probably has better grip overall.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”