TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

What oil u using in ur diesel van?

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: What oil u using in ur diesel van?

Postby kamakazi » February 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Gulf Superfleet supreme 15w40: $101/gal (the catch: you have to buy a 20L container)

Currently using the above mixed with one litre of Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC 5w30 (Ford Spec) in my Toyota Hilux
(that name is a mouthful)

I also have a 20l container of Wolf Vitaltech 15w40 to be used next oil change and might stick with it until.

For what its worth, Wolf is now the title sponsor of the World Rally Championship.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 8th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Curious. I saw Chevron 15w40 oil selling in pricesmart for one hundred and something dollars for a gallon. Anyone ever used it?

superstainless1250
3NE 2NR for life

Postby superstainless1250 » February 8th, 2019, 8:01 pm

carluva wrote:Curious. I saw Chevron 15w40 oil selling in pricesmart for one hundred and something dollars for a gallon. Anyone ever used it?
I using it presently in my hilux completed 2 oil change so far an it's working gud was using shell r4 15 40 but the price for it is ridiculous I'm making a POS run daily so decided to use something cheaper bcuz mtce is like every 10 weeks

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm

superstainless1250 wrote:
carluva wrote:Curious. I saw Chevron 15w40 oil selling in pricesmart for one hundred and something dollars for a gallon. Anyone ever used it?
I using it presently in my hilux completed 2 oil change so far an it's working gud was using shell r4 15 40 but the price for it is ridiculous I'm making a POS run daily so decided to use something cheaper bcuz mtce is like every 10 weeks

Hoss
Doh study it, shell cheap @$185/gallon
Men out dey paying 700 for 2 gallon of amsoil and still changing oil 5000kms

Lol

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » February 8th, 2019, 8:55 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:

Hoss

Lol
Or 800$ for mobil1 ... lol

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 8th, 2019, 8:55 pm

supernedd wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:

Hoss

Lol
Yea
But them guys is 10000kms OCI

superstainless1250
3NE 2NR for life

Postby superstainless1250 » February 8th, 2019, 9:06 pm

5000km I does do mtce
*KRONIK* wrote:
supernedd wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:

Hoss

Lol
Yea
But them guys is 10000kms OCI

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 8th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Soooo its a reasonable oil then?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 9th, 2019, 7:06 am

Yea
Big brand name oil is 200and up per gallon.

At 100/gallon, daiz get thru price.
carluva wrote:Soooo its a reasonable oil then?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 9th, 2019, 9:26 am

When last I checked it was $140 for Chevron Delo from Pricesmart. It works as it is supposed to.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » February 9th, 2019, 11:52 am

kamakazi wrote:Gulf Superfleet supreme 15w40

Currently using the above mixed with one litre of Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC 5w30 (Ford Spec) in my Toyota Hilux

Why the mix?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 9th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Big Z wrote:

Why the mix?
Couple of reasons
I know how much synthetic is going into my semi syn mix
I have it on my shelf for about 4 years now
I can't seem to find 10w30 conventional in 20l containers; so I'm mixing to lower the viscosity of my 15w40 slightly.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » February 9th, 2019, 1:34 pm

kamakazi wrote:
Big Z wrote:

Why the mix?
Couple of reasons
I know how much synthetic is going into my semi syn mix
I have it on my shelf for about 4 years now
I can't seem to find 10w30 conventional in 20l containers; so I'm mixing to lower the viscosity of my 15w40 slightly.
What all u think about valvoline? .. what mileage should i use a thicker oil n what grade is thick?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 9th, 2019, 3:37 pm

All reputable brands are good. It's the ones that I've never heard about before I'm a bit cautious about.

Thick (high viscosity oil) vs Thin (low viscosity oil) is tough to differentiate as you meet in the middle (because of variations of opinion) but easier to identify at the extremes.

10w30 might be thick to some but thin to others.
0w16 is definitely thin
25w60 is definitely thick

Higher viscosity oils are generally used in older(vintage) vehicles
Higher mileage vehicles(oil consumption problem)
Some racing type vehicles that expect to see very high oil temps consistently and or high fuel dilution. They generally offer less engine protection as operating temperatures decrease

Lower viscosity oils are generally used for fuel economy benefits and in very cold weather. They generally offer less engine protection as operating temperatures increase.

Personally anything below 10w30 is to thin and anything above 15w40 is to thick for my daily machine.

If you don't have a problem, there is no reason to switch.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 11th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Did an oil change over the weekend. Was using 15W40 Castrol and tried 10W40 Bizol.

Engine idling smoother and quieter. Wifey notice the same thing as well. Will see how it works in the long run.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » February 11th, 2019, 8:46 pm

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 11th, 2019, 9:00 pm

carluva wrote:Did an oil change over the weekend. Was using 15W40 Castrol and tried 10W40 Bizol.

Engine idling smoother and quieter. Wifey notice the same thing as well. Will see how it works in the long run.
Who is selling the bizol locally

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » February 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm

All u ever try engine restore
Additives?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 12th, 2019, 6:42 am

kamakazi wrote:
carluva wrote:Did an oil change over the weekend. Was using 15W40 Castrol and tried 10W40 Bizol.

To be honest, i did not ask... the mechanic/service technician i took the vehicle by mentioned that he switched to the Bizol as he got a hook up with a supplier who was offering a price which was better than the oil he previously used.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 12th, 2019, 6:43 am

what engine you have ?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 12th, 2019, 7:04 am

Same guy i referred you to?
carluva wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

To be honest, i did not ask... the mechanic/service technician i took the vehicle by mentioned that he switched to the Bizol as he got a hook up with a supplier who was offering a price which was better than the oil he previously used.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 12th, 2019, 7:05 am

1kd in a fortuner
pugboy wrote:what engine you have ?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 12th, 2019, 7:07 am

Them thing is for when your engine ready to die. They just mix with the oil and form a low friction coat over the friction surfaces.
When u stop using it, what ever problem you had, gonna come back
supernedd wrote:All u ever try engine restore
Additives?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 12th, 2019, 7:18 am

like the black pepper radiator stop leak method

*KRONIK* wrote:Them thing is for when your engine ready to die. They just mix with the oil and form a low friction coat over the friction surfaces.
Additives?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 12th, 2019, 7:31 am

Yea

Lol

Most good mechanics will always advise against engine and oil treatments, if your vehicle seems that it need a treatment, then thats just putting a bandage over a much deeper underlying issue.

Eg: when i had my ck lancer back in the days, the hydraulic lifters would never stop making noise. I was advised by a tuner to use a can of 4cyl engine restore. I did and the noise went away, 1 oil change i didnt put 1 and the noise came back. Another tuner advised me to use a thinner oil with high detergents and to use an OEM oil filter, i did this for 3 oil changes consecutively and the problem stopped, permanently.
It turns out nothing was wrong with the engine, it was just a bit of carbon build up in the lifters, coupled with low oil pressure caused by using a purolator filter.
Since that day i have never used any oil filter other than oem in any of my vehicles.
pugboy wrote:like the black pepper radiator stop leak method

*KRONIK* wrote:Them thing is for when your engine ready to die. They just mix with the oil and form a low friction coat over the friction surfaces.
Additives?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 12th, 2019, 1:58 pm

1KD - Toyota Fortuner.

Additionally, did a diesel flush to clean the injectors so this too must have contributed to the smoother and quieter idling. I must say, that the combination of those two (i.e. different oil and injector cleaning) must have really helped the engine cause even when the van is coasting, it is practically silent.

@ Kronik - Yes to your question... Thanks for the link. Seems very knowledgeable. Hoping to use this link moving forward.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 12th, 2019, 2:05 pm

What diesel flush you used?

carluva wrote:

1KD - Toyota Fortuner.

Additionally, did a diesel flush to clean the injectors so this too must have contributed to the smoother and quieter idling. I must say, that the combination of those two (i.e. different oil and injector cleaning) must have really helped the engine cause even when the van is coasting, it is practically silent.

@ Kronik - Yes to your question... Thanks for the link. Seems very knowledgeable. Hoping to use this link moving forward.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 12th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Bizol as well... The fuel lines was disconnected and inserted into the cannister with the flush and the engine allowed to run (using the flush as a fuel) until the engine choked out and died.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 26th, 2019, 6:04 am

Using mannol 15w40 fully synthetic , does what its needed to.

might be switching to the 15w40 shell or possibility Valvoline™ Premium Blue™ 8600 ES Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil

the valvoline looks like the flick on paper.

Approved or Recommended for applications where Cummins CES 20086, Mack EOS-4.5, Volvo VDS-4.5, Detroit Diesel DFS 93K222, Renault VI RLD-4, Allison TES-439, ACEA E9, ACEA E7, MB 228.31, MTU Category 2.1, Caterpillar ECF-3, or JASO DH-2 are specified

Approved or Recommended for applications where Detroit Diesel DFS 93K218 or Deutz DQC III-10LA are specfied
Excellent oxidation resistance and TBN retention supports long oil life
Strong shear stability provides stay-in-grade performance
Superior deposit protection compared to industry requirements
Tested extensively by Cummins in various engine application

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » August 9th, 2019, 5:35 pm

VALVOLINE Full Synthetic - Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40

For those interested in the Premium Blue Extreme, see above link..

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”