TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Adding Kerosene to your Diesel

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
ACCESS
Ricer

Adding Kerosene to your Diesel

Postby ACCESS » February 19th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Hey Diesel Tuners, is it safe or not to add kerosene to diesel in these newer pickers that are coming COMMON RAIL now ?.

jfambrini
Riding on 13's

Re: Adding Kerosene to your Diesel

Postby jfambrini » February 24th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Too much kerosene will certainly ruin the injection pump and may also harm the emissions control. It will lower the lubricity and change the flash point. it might have some advantage in the winter. Lower lubricity can be alleviated by adding lube oil. You may add anti jell additive instead of kerosene is that is what is desired. In pre-intercooler age they use to say 30% kerosene is okay as long as you have add some lube oil. In winter oil companies themselves add kerosene in Northern US and Canada. The cooler the winter gets more kerosene they add until I believe in northern-most Canada diesel engines are run on 100% kerosene in dead of winter as diesel would just crystallize in that weather.

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » February 24th, 2014, 7:33 pm

You just don't add kerosene to a common rail system in Trinidad. Do a search and you will see what men use to treat diesel fuel here on this forum.

zaria
Trinituner Peong

Postby zaria » February 24th, 2014, 9:04 pm

jfambrini wrote:Too much kerosene will certainly ruin the injection pump and may also harm the emissions control. It will lower the lubricity and change the flash point. it might have some advantage in the winter. Lower lubricity can be alleviated by adding lube oil. You may add anti jell additive instead of kerosene is that is what is desired. In pre-intercooler age they use to say 30% kerosene is okay as long as you have add some lube oil. In winter oil companies themselves add kerosene in Northern US and Canada. The cooler the winter gets more kerosene they add until I believe in northern-most Canada diesel engines are run on 100% kerosene in dead of winter as diesel would just crystallize in that weather.

Interesting! i didn't know it was common practice to add kero,always thought it was cause the taxi men just damn cheap.

jfambrini
Riding on 13's

Postby jfambrini » February 25th, 2014, 6:26 am

zaria wrote:Interesting! i didn't know it was common practice to add kero,always thought it was cause the taxi men just damn cheap.

Yes a common practice and actually absolutely essential in the cold climes but it is automotive grade kerosene though don't know any reason why one could not use regular kerosene. It is though illegal in the US to add kerosene because kerosene is not taxed so you are getting away not paying some taxes. This is why most of the addition of kerosene is done at the pump. The colder it gets more kerosene they add. When it gets in -20 then it is 100% kerosene and you have choice in the matter as when you get to the gas station this is what they are selling.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 3rd, 2014, 9:23 pm

Kerosene has less paraffin in it but will work okay in the short term unless its cold when the paraffin precipitates out and becomes cloudy.

Diesel fuel systems rely on the fuel itself as a lubricant. We even tuned some heavy trucks to run on waste vegetable oil and diesel blended fuel. It smelled like a McDonalds was driving down the road.

ACCESS wrote:Hey Diesel Tuners, is it safe or not to add kerosene to diesel in these newer pickers that are coming COMMON RAIL now ?.

top secret
Riding on 13's

Postby top secret » March 6th, 2014, 10:52 am

i have been using kerosene 2 gallons to a full up for the past 3 yrs.....I use it to thin out the gas oil crap they sell here for diesel , and I have no issues ( Isuzu DMAX ), If you go GREEDY :drinking: on it you will damage your pump...long term...but if you run trini diesel you are gonna damage it anyway..... for those of you who don't believe , put 15 dollars in before you full up ....the next time ...take it for a 'hard" run ....then check your throttle response .....you will see....... :lol:

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Postby Henfracar » March 18th, 2014, 3:27 pm

top secret wrote:i have been using kerosene 2 gallons to a full up for the past 3 yrs.....I use it to thin out the gas oil crap they sell here for diesel , and I have no issues ( Isuzu DMAX ), If you go GREEDY :drinking: on it you will damage your pump...long term...but if you run trini diesel you are gonna damage it anyway..... for those of you who don't believe , put 15 dollars in before you full up ....the next time ...take it for a 'hard" run ....then check your throttle response .....you will see....... :lol:

"Gas Oil crap" and diesel is one and the same FYI; kerosene is lighter than diesel, meaning it will burn at a lower temperature than Diesel. And coming from an ex Petrotrin Refinery :wink: Operations Plant Supt, all diesel sold in T&T is refined to international specs, and that includes sulfur content.
FYI Kerosene is Jet A1, all jets burn that; ever smell the exhaust at Old Piarco airport waving gallery after a jet moves away from the terminal?

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 30th, 2014, 2:16 pm

bt50 wrote:You just don't add kerosene to a common rail system in Trinidad. Do a search and you will see what men use to treat diesel fuel here on this forum.

All the babble....this man is on point ^

Go buy your 250K + van and F*** t up with kerosene

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » April 30th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Redline/amsoil diesel fuel treatment. Its safe and it works very well for my non commonrail zd30ddt Frontier.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » May 7th, 2014, 11:25 am

search button.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”