TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

US constitution?

An archive of the political discussions posted here for the 2010 T&T General Elections

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

grad
Sweet on this forum

US constitution?

Postby grad » May 26th, 2010, 3:02 am

so...we have the constitutional majority and most likely we are moving towards a US type system. so...

1. did kamla or anyone from the PP say that we will adopt the us constitution as our own?
2. how is it different to our constitution and can someone explain it to me in a nutshell?
3. how is it better than our constitution?

thanks

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: US constitution?

Postby civic minded » May 26th, 2010, 7:26 am

we will get rid of the Westminster style of government - and replace it with one that is tailor made for our needs - that will bring more equity to the people in terms of representation.

Honestly i think they need to reorganize the local government - for it is not effective as it is - in fact dismantle the whole local government and have each MP more responsible to their constituency. Create a board under each MP that will handle the affairs of the constituency effectively, because it is widely known - after an election you dont see them anymore

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » May 26th, 2010, 7:31 am

in the partnership manifesto didnt went into any specifics but they said that there will be a overhaul of the constitution - this wont be a overnight reform - but i suspect one that may take the entire term of office for the Partnership

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » May 26th, 2010, 10:54 am

i tort u need 3\4 of d votes in parliament to change something major like d constitution ?

so right now 29\41 is 70% so unless some from d new opposition give their votes it cant be change ? ...

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » May 26th, 2010, 11:14 am

"The People’s Partnership now have a three fifths constitutional majority, which would enable it to pass legislation which affects rights. It also has a two thirds majority which would empower it to alter certain entrenched sections of the Constitution, such as those sections relating to the JSLC and the Auditor-General. But it cannot change those critical provisions relating to the President and his powers, the Parliament and the electoral system. It would need 31 of the 41 votes in the Parliament for that."

FROM http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl ... ba=NWSNews

KrAzYBoY
Sweet on this forum

Postby KrAzYBoY » May 26th, 2010, 11:22 am

Well IF after the recount they (P.P.) acquire atleast two more seats they would be able to do this, and it will be the END OF THE PNM. (Wishful thinking???)

grad
Sweet on this forum

Postby grad » May 27th, 2010, 1:35 am

ok....so therefore the first past the post system will remain....unless rowley and someone from the pnm happens to vote for this which does not seem like a possibility.

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » May 27th, 2010, 2:32 am

I remember Panday was in agreement to Executive Presidency. Does Kamla share this view? And I knew there were talks of introducing Proportional Representation as a pose to first past the post. Does the PP support this? I don't think they have the seat majority required to make those changes though. I believe the only change which I see will come into light is the two term limits.

ziig
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby ziig » May 27th, 2010, 8:36 am

a US style government is ok..if it done in its entirety.....You see in that style of governance...every section is overseen by another and they all tie into each other...you have Federal govern. which took care of major policies affecting the nation..then state which is allowed a certain amount of policy making affecting only that state...they have control over thier own economy in tersm of TAXES AND TRADE ETC so some states have no tax and some have very high tax , but only as long as it pertains and keeps within fed Law...
some other things too I cant recall. ohh yea school systems and a board of education is usually run with in state budgets
very important is the Courts which are independant of state and federal...even though supreme court is appointed by government....they make the ruling on laws and monitor the law makers Governemnt...
ohh and of course you haev the house of senate...which are the representitive and lawmakers themselves.....there isnt really a opposition as much as we have...but instead policies are disscuused and then voted upon...

OK so in a nuts shell this is the system of USA but not in any correct order..there is a proper order in which this is laid out and you can find a dia..on google I am sure....

hope this helps the person who asked

grad
Sweet on this forum

Postby grad » May 28th, 2010, 2:26 am

^^^ thanks it does very much!!! in essence...each state...or in our case constituencies would be pretty much independent to make their own decisions, right?

wat about elections? as how in the last election pnm got majority seats but NOT majority votes...will this also change? also where COP got 150 000 votes but not a single seat of representation...will it be seats proportional to votes cast?

thanks

RadeonHD

Postby RadeonHD » May 28th, 2010, 2:51 am

Personally speaking, if we are to go the way of the US

We need to do it 100%

And with Rowley as the new Opposition Leader allyuh better pray that allyuh never have kids. Because what happened in the peak of kidnappings in Trinidad will be just the tip of the ice berg compared to what will happen of rowley ever gets his hands on the power he craves.

My suggestion is to never have kids.

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » May 28th, 2010, 2:53 am

Alpine wrote:
My suggestion is to never have kids.

:drinking: Great advice here pallie...you tell em!

ziig
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby ziig » May 28th, 2010, 10:33 am

Unfortunately Grad...what most guys dont realize here...is that for this reform to really be effective it will have to be done in its entire conceptually manner...in other words...a complete shut downa nd reboot so to speak...
100% or it will fail....including the manner of elections. representation etc......
the beauty of the US style is checks and balance......which keeps the curruption to a minimum...of course not completely gone but reduce a lot......
this however does get replaced by immense amounts or suspicion and mis trust...
which we have right now any way.....
it can work but must be done properly..

Advertisement

Return to “T&T GENERAL ELECTIONS 2010”