TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Arima Fest Box Kart Derby – Drag Racing. Carded for 2nd Sept

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Arima Fest Box Kart Derby – Drag Racing. Carded for 2nd

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2012, 10:17 am

dubcity wrote:Was a good event overall.The rules were bended though which made it unfair to others who stuck to them.It stated the kart must be built out of MAINLY WOOD!!!
I guess if we where to stick to that rule there would've only been 5 competitors.
Yes alot of people showed up with karts with no wood at all on it

I am sure as the events continue the rules will be adhered to by all

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » September 3rd, 2012, 10:48 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
dubcity wrote:Was a good event overall.The rules were bended though which made it unfair to others who stuck to them.It stated the kart must be built out of MAINLY WOOD!!!
I guess if we where to stick to that rule there would've only been 5 competitors.
Yes alot of people showed up with karts with no wood at all on it

I am sure as the events continue the rules will be adhered to by all

And being the very first event, we recognized that we could have been hard and fast with our guidelines and cause even more pain for all of those who may have been turned away. We recognize that we must have separate classes for the "real BOX karts and the other "more-engineered" designs.

This is a learning experience for all parties and we look forward to having various classes as we clearly saw the "performance" differences.
Last edited by AutoSport on September 3rd, 2012, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » September 3rd, 2012, 10:48 am

BEST ENGINEERED CART.....TEAM PRESSURE EXTREME !!!!

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » September 3rd, 2012, 10:58 am

wow @ that kart Nigie

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » September 3rd, 2012, 11:05 am

is bedroom slippers i see written on that cart?

Dragist
punchin NOS

Postby Dragist » September 3rd, 2012, 11:47 am

Red Dawg wrote:Image

Red Dawg Racing

Red Dawg Racing would like to congratulate his worship, Mr. Ghassan Youseph, the Mayor of Arima, the Arima Borough Corporation and Autosport Promotions Ltd. on the successful running of the first Arima Fest Box Kart Derby.

We would also like to congratulate Black Star Line Racing on their first place finish in the final.

Red Dawg Racing thanks the following for their help and support:

Robert Dow and Dillion Gomez, Dow Fabrication
Narend Sooknarine, Zorce Publications, Zorce Racing Magazine
Steve Boodram, Paint Masters Ltd.
C. W. Cozier and Janice Cozier, for allowing us to turn their garage into a woodworking and paint shop.

Just hailing up meh Boyz Robert and Dillion .

Good work all I will try to make the next event to snap out photo it looked like fun

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » September 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm

Team Loco wrote:is bedroom slippers i see written on that cart?

where was you?

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » September 3rd, 2012, 1:36 pm

AutoSport wrote:
wagon r wrote:Congrats on the event...and can't wait for the full championship to start @ various locations across the country (hard luck central).

So finally able to stage an event on the roads of Arima and did not break the speed limit.

Big thanks to His Worship the Mayor of Arima, the Dep. Mayor and the Councillors, The Borough Police led by Inspector Preito. And of course Cheryl Lalla Event coordinator in conjunction with the ARA Team.

The competitors, some with real serious design and the long hours especially the BSL BlackStarLine Racing Team of Arima who set a National Record for Box Kart Racing. Christian Cozier three generations present including Grandfather Winston Cozier one of the pioneers of Circuit Racing in T&T.

The Gormandy Engineering team who built two racing machines, one selected by the Arima Fest Committee as winner of Best BOX Kart, the State of The Art and AutoNation team who came with one Kart and FOUR drivers, the Dindial and Rampersadsingh teams from South. Full report will be done separately, but from all appearances, we are on our way!

And yes Wagon R we already looking at a full championship series that we can move around the country, but yuh know our luck, somebody will start to ask for special licence and sanction.

Great event
Red Dawg Racing has already begun the design of a second kart as well as improvement of the first kart.
Look for the three junior Coziers competing at the next event.

Let us work on the rules, get them out here so that we can discuss and make changes.
I invite everybody to submit their ideas here for discussion.

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » September 3rd, 2012, 1:48 pm

Let us work on the rules, get them out here so that we can discuss and make changes.
I invite everybody to submit their ideas here for discussion.

Yuh sure right.
When I look at the effort put in by Nigie and team, and bringing one of the best Drag Racers as the pilot, we all have to watch out.

Start to look at the base, is like they have a JIG!
And then the suspension, feel they have some Koni's hide up somewhere.
And looking for the rose joints too!
Must say if this team doing something, it coming straight out of the California Design studios of Sea Lots!

And we are still to see what is hidden inside the BSL panels.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » September 3rd, 2012, 2:29 pm

^^^ bodyfat.....puer bodyfat....hehehehehee...

Gormandy and dem still file that protest?....lol.....

Katanga's rail box Kart was indeed a good build....had they removed the rear suspension though, they may have picked up a second...That shock/Spring absorption was sucking at the Kinetic Energy...

Team Black Star Line already blueprinting the next Kart design...We may get "corporate" sponsorship from Speedwa....(trinituner, copyright 2012...all rights reserved)

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » September 3rd, 2012, 2:49 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:^^^ bodyfat.....puer bodyfat....hehehehehee...

Katanga's rail box Kart was indeed a good build....had they removed the rear suspension though, they may have picked up a second...That shock/Spring absorption was sucking at the Kinetic Energy...

Team Black Star Line already blueprinting the next Kart design...We may get "corporate" sponsorship from Speedwa....(trinituner, copyright 2012...all rights reserved)

Protest fee was not paid - they say they were waiting on the winners cheque to use to pay the protest fee, we say nah, pay the fee first, else yuh protest getting throw out - they really wanted to see what was under the BSL skin. If they had protested we was sending it straight to the Stewards in Paris.

So in getting the secrets to come out:
Q1 - What is the weight of the driver in the winning Kart?
Q2 - What is the weight of the driver in the 2nd Place Kart?

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » September 3rd, 2012, 2:55 pm

^^ that we not prepared to divulge until the Paris Protesting Stewards Association get thier fee's. We will say however, that before each race....we drank water.......lots of it....

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » September 3rd, 2012, 5:10 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:we drank water.......lots of it....

not all water is the same eh...............

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 3rd, 2012, 5:41 pm

they should be using high psi skinny smooth tires instead of mountain bike tires
it will make a world of difference
oops

brams112
punchin NOS

Postby brams112 » September 3rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

Boi i build my box cart,while doing a burn out the fcuking thing ketch fire oui.

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » September 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm

brams112 wrote:Boi i build my box cart,while doing a burn out the fcuking thing ketch fire oui.

Ah ha,, shoulda get Banzai team "read before running instructions" - water boy, drink plenty of water!

brams112
punchin NOS

Postby brams112 » September 3rd, 2012, 6:13 pm

Nah boi the engine does work with alcohol.

trinirivals
Riding on 13's

Postby trinirivals » September 3rd, 2012, 6:32 pm

is there politics in a box kart race ? hats of to d guys with the num- 14 kart !!

brams112
punchin NOS

Postby brams112 » September 3rd, 2012, 6:35 pm

^^^^^^^^^pallie that aint no pnm against unc thing eh so watch ur language.

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » September 4th, 2012, 1:14 am

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:^^^ bodyfat.....puer bodyfat....hehehehehee...

I dont think the weight is as much of an advantage as one is led to believe.
I have done alot of research on line into light weight versus heavy weight soapbox derby cars. The general consensus is that the real advantage in soapbox derby is rolling resistance and aerodynamics. Heavyweight karts only have a noticeable advantage on courses that flatten out or even have a rise at the end, where the weight carries the momentum across the finish.

As proof, I offer the fact that, with my son at the wheel, my Kart consistantly did 20 second passes all day (times varied from 19.7 to 20.3). When Cheryl Lalla drove my kart, she did a 20 second pass, when my younger son drove in the fun run against Team Gormandy he also did a 20 second pass. The different drivers, three different weights, same time. The weight does not make that much difference on that particular course.

I think the race was won simply on rolling resistance, Black Star Line's car simply rolled better. I will solve this.

I agree on the use of suspension. The suspension will absorb the kinetic energy rather than transferring it into forward motion.

By the way, I consider that 16 second pass a fluke, quite possibly an error in the system, while it was not impossible for the kart to do a 16 second pass, it would be quite improbable for a kart to suddenly pickup 3 seconds and then not be able to back it up.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » September 4th, 2012, 1:25 am

Red Dawg wrote:By the way, I consider that 16 second pass a fluke, quite possibly an error in the system, while it was not impossible for the kart to do a 16 second pass, it would be quite improbable for a kart to suddenly pickup 3 seconds and then not be able to back it up.

Couldn't the line on the curve account for that man?

The thing i noticed is drivers were supposed to be using their brake. not be held by a teammate. Supposed someone accidentally leaned on the kart while releasing...............
*for the record. no aspersion as per the 16.6 or any other run eh. meh pm inbox full enough as it is thanks.*

richjob
Riding on 13's

Postby richjob » September 4th, 2012, 7:00 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... tif_t=like

Great event. I managed to grab some images. Here is the set.

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » September 4th, 2012, 7:46 am

wagonrunner wrote:
Red Dawg wrote:By the way, I consider that 16 second pass a fluke, quite possibly an error in the system, while it was not impossible for the kart to do a 16 second pass, it would be quite improbable for a kart to suddenly pickup 3 seconds and then not be able to back it up.

The thing i noticed is drivers were supposed to be using their brake. not be held by a teammate. Supposed someone accidentally leaned on the kart while releasing...............
*for the record. no aspersion as per the 16.6 or any other run eh. meh pm inbox full enough as it is thanks.*

While it was believed that the right lane would have been faster due to the curve, the times proved that the difference in the lanes was negligible. My kart ran the same times in either lane as did BSL's kart. The two karts were consistent regardless of lane choice.
It is quite possible that they actually ran a 16.6, but just as in drag racing I say that the time must be backed up within 1/10 to stand as a record.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 4th, 2012, 7:59 am

correct, if you ever roll down a hill on a road bike with skinny hard tires alognside a person on a mountain bike with fat tires and suspension the difference is huge

Red Dawg wrote:I think the race was won simply on rolling resistance, Black Star Line's car simply rolled better. I will solve this.

I agree on the use of suspension. The suspension will absorb the kinetic energy rather than transferring it into forward motion.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » September 4th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Red Dawg wrote:
wagonrunner wrote:

While it was believed that the right lane would have been faster due to the curve, the times proved that the difference in the lanes was negligible. My kart ran the same times in either lane as did BSL's kart. The two karts were consistent regardless of lane choice.
It is quite possible that they actually ran a 16.6, but just as in drag racing I say that the time must be backed up within 1/10 to stand as a record.

yeah...we think it was a fluke as well....thats why we going with the fastest time of 18.52

my only observation was that for that run two things:

Kevon drove a straight line, only making one steering adjustment on the "apex" of the curve
He ran so close to the cones that the right side of the Kart didnt touch the "stubble/rough" area just right of the white line.

BSL Kart #2 is alrady being planned.... BSL Kart #1, after we had loads of run yesterday in front the garage (its at the base of an incline) and was able to drift it around the corner by the Garage...

Setta big men in a kart moving at 5mph (we put a G-Force Pro on it....LOLOLOLOL) having Loads of fun...

we doing a Top Gear style and gonna hang it in the Garage....

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » September 4th, 2012, 3:58 pm

...will the BSL Team be "assisted" by a grid dolly of same.....er.......cornbreadness...????

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » September 6th, 2012, 5:24 am

Extreme gravity racing on the longest, fastest, and most testing course in Britain
2 miles in length with top speeds in excess of 60mph.
Practice runs, timed qualifying, group races and finals spread over two days.
Hair pin bends, sweeping curves and long straights.

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » September 6th, 2012, 8:50 am

You know we have "courses" like that.... Chancellor Road, the whole of South.....

Interesting to see where this will all end up!

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » September 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm

All for chancellor. Even LYR. a LIL north coast road.

But the place for the most epic amount of fun to be had may be Chacachacare's lighthouse road.
Just the logistics, and yes, you will need to reimburse the caretaker for his diesel. Few can tote their carts that far uphill. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » September 7th, 2012, 11:31 am

The three main rules at the first event where
Wheel size- Wheel size is limited to 16" overall diameter
Kart Construction- Kart must be mainly wood. This was later set at 50% wood construction.
Kart size- Kart must not exceed 6 feet in length or 3 feet in width.

Let us discuss these so that we can draft up a set of regulations

1: Tire Size Limit - 16" or 20"?
Lets hear your opinion.

2: Frame Construction - Steel or Wood?
Let me hear your ideas on what we should use.

3:Kart Size - 6' x 3'
What do you think?

Advertisement

Return to “AutoSport Drag & Wind”