TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

2010 up Sorento/Santa fe diesel engines..

Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

2010 up Sorento/Santa fe diesel engines..

Postby Keyser Soze » May 2nd, 2023, 7:28 pm

Any objective perspective on the diesel engines from the 2010 up sorento or santa fe?
I'm thinking of buying one, just hearing nightmare stories of the diesel engines... injector pump and injector failures etc I know the steering racks are a failure point on the second gen Sorentos, rack prices?
Price on the pump? injectors? Anything else to look out for?
Not interested in spending more than about $95K and need something suv type, roomy...

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: 2010 up Sorento/Santa fe diesel engines..

Postby kamakazi » May 8th, 2023, 10:06 am

So I don't own one but I know someone who does (2012 Santa Fe 2.2crdi) and we discuss the vehicle fairly regularly. The vehicle isn't serviced as regularly as it should and it currently has above 180000kms on the clock.

The engine has decent power for its displacement, with no visible intercooler.

It requires a new harmonic balancer (crank pulley) every 100000kms or roughly when the drive belt has to be changed. It currently has what sounds like a loud chain rattle on engine startup which developed over time. The transmission feels like it's slipping if the fluid is left in there too long, and it needs to be changed even though the manual says "lifetime" fluid (Their version of the word lifetime is usually just the warranty period). The brake lines from the master cylinder have some short rubber connections which are prone to failure. The fuel filter is in a tough spot to access/work on. At least one speed sensor will fail before 100000km s. Our diesel fuel doesn't meet the requirements as stated in the manual so expect to be putting some form of cetane booster, more frequent oil changes and more soot

The longevity/reliability really depends on how the vehicle is serviced...in this vehicle's case even more so.

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » May 12th, 2023, 4:16 pm

thanks Kamakazi.
heard horror stories of the injector pumps failing, costly repair along with expensive injectors that are recommended to be replaced once the pump has been replaced.
i hear you on the "lifetime transmission fluid"... same dreams the agents sell euro buyers, same eventual results....
i bought a gas model yesterday instead as i got too many negative reviews of the diesels...
thanks anyway.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » May 21st, 2023, 2:11 pm

Same injector pump problem with the tucson. It wears and gets filings every where clogs the injectors and gets in the tank etc.

Diesel not worth it. Gas much the same econony overall now. Or it's like playing Russian roulette.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » May 21st, 2023, 2:14 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Any objective perspective on the diesel engines from the 2010 up sorento or santa fe?
I'm thinking of buying one, just hearing nightmare stories of the diesel engines... injector pump and injector failures etc I know the steering racks are a failure point on the second gen Sorentos, rack prices?
Price on the pump? injectors? Anything else to look out for?
Not interested in spending more than about $95K and need something suv type, roomy...

Gas tucson is a better bet than the sportage. You will get the room and suv ride. Sorento is also good but same diesel probs and 2.4 gas will be expensive to run.

Advertisement

Return to “KIA”