Forums

2014 Kia Sportage Info

Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

2014 Kia Sportage Info

Postby Jerry84 » April 9th, 2024, 2:21 pm

So I recently inherited my dad's Sportage which he hardly drove. Its doing approximately 51,000km. What's the recommended oil and filter(details and brand) to use for the service? Are there any other recommended areas to address as routine service?

Also, I can't seem to find a switch for folding the side mirrors in. Do these come with that feature?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: 2014 Kia Sportage Info

Postby kamakazi » April 9th, 2024, 3:40 pm

Gas or diesel?

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 10th, 2024, 4:41 pm

kamakazi wrote:Gas or diesel?
Gas

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 14th, 2024, 3:24 pm

For reference, I do not have this vehicle but I have worked on a Kia Cerato and other vehicles and my recommendations are based on what I would do if I had that vehicle.

So IIRC Kia Sportage used to come with a recommendation sticker for Total Quartz oil...which we used to get here but most of the line has been phased out locally. The recommendation also doesn't mean that it is better for your vehicle, just that Kia and Total have a contract at the time to recommend Total oil.

With the mileage on the vehicle, I would choose the cheapest semi-synthetic or full synthetic in the range from 10w30 to 10w40 that is available in a somewhat recognizable brand. The specifications I used to look for were ACEA A3/B4, and API SM/CF

I like Shell Helix HX7(yeah it is not the cheapest but I like it) 10w40 but if any Shell Helix Ultra (10w30 or 5w40) is the same price I will choose the Shell Helix Ultra; The prices for these have gotten so close recently.

Oil Filter: Purolator L14459 or PL14459 (this might not be the same oil filter for your engine)

Intervals based on the type of driving done
Mostly Highway: 10000kms on Full Synthetic, 7000kms on Semi-syn
Mostly Short journeys(less than 10km)/lots of idling : Change it once a year if it never reaches the mileage

Check Oil Level Every 1000KMs, or every 2 tanks of fuel initially, to see how much oil the vehicle is burning. You can adjust the checks based on how the oil level drops. Add as required to reach the top mark on the dipstick

Other things I would check/change at your current mileage if it wasn't done before
Air filter (Engine and Cabin)
Spark Plugs (ideally check when the engine is cold)
Transmission Fluid (not sure if they started using sealed units in the Sportage which makes draining and refilling impossible )
Coolant level (Add distilled water if required)
Fuel filter; but if it is in-tank I would leave this alone until it starts showing signs that it needs replacing
Belt for signs of cracking.

Your Brake fluid level will give you an idea of how much the brake pads are worn...unless someone topped it up

Add a Fuel Injector cleaner.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 14th, 2024, 5:40 pm

Excellent info above.
As far as the transmission goes, they are typical where you drain and refill and open the drain on the front of the transmission and when it stops dripping that's the correct level. The filter is inside the transmission so only can be changed when it is taken apart.

The engines sludge quite easily so high quality oil and filter as suggested above will carry you very well.

Worked on a few generations Tucson's , Sportage's and Elantra's and all are typical of each other.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 17th, 2024, 9:04 pm

I'm actually unsure of the type of transmission I have (new to the kia family). What I can say is that it only has P, R, N,D. On D you can pull it to the right and select which gear you want it in (1,2,3,etc).

I'm umsure as to whether or not the transmission oil can be changed (if it's a sealed transmission). Therefore, if it can, whats the recommended brand and type of transmission oil and quantity needed to execute this change?

Also recommended spark plugs (brand, heat range, etc).

Thanks

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 17th, 2024, 10:20 pm

There is the original Xteer Hyundai transmission oil you can use.

I have also used the Valvoline multi vehicle ATF which is for it also.

Spark plugs are NGK and should be the exact one to be used back.

Check your manual and or what is there.
Don't experiment with plugs on those engines. If in doubt, visit the dealer for the OE plug.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 20th, 2024, 9:16 am

kamakazi wrote:For reference, I do not have this vehicle but I have worked on a Kia Cerato and other vehicles and my recommendations are based on what I would do if I had that vehicle.

So IIRC Kia Sportage used to come with a recommendation sticker for Total Quartz oil...which we used to get here but most of the line has been phased out locally. The recommendation also doesn't mean that it is better for your vehicle, just that Kia and Total have a contract at the time to recommend Total oil.

With the mileage on the vehicle, I would choose the cheapest semi-synthetic or full synthetic in the range from 10w30 to 10w40 that is available in a somewhat recognizable brand. The specifications I used to look for were ACEA A3/B4, and API SM/CF

I like Shell Helix HX7(yeah it is not the cheapest but I like it) 10w40 but if any Shell Helix Ultra (10w30 or 5w40) is the same price I will choose the Shell Helix Ultra; The prices for these have gotten so close recently.

Oil Filter: Purolator L14459 or PL14459 (this might not be the same oil filter for your engine)

Intervals based on the type of driving done
Mostly Highway: 10000kms on Full Synthetic, 7000kms on Semi-syn
Mostly Short journeys(less than 10km)/lots of idling : Change it once a year if it never reaches the mileage

Check Oil Level Every 1000KMs, or every 2 tanks of fuel initially, to see how much oil the vehicle is burning. You can adjust the checks based on how the oil level drops. Add as required to reach the top mark on the dipstick

Other things I would check/change at your current mileage if it wasn't done before
Air filter (Engine and Cabin)
Spark Plugs (ideally check when the engine is cold)
Transmission Fluid (not sure if they started using sealed units in the Sportage which makes draining and refilling impossible )
Coolant level (Add distilled water if required)
Fuel filter; but if it is in-tank I would leave this alone until it starts showing signs that it needs replacing
Belt for signs of cracking.

Your Brake fluid level will give you an idea of how much the brake pads are worn...unless someone topped it up

Add a Fuel Injector cleaner.
Reccomendation for a good and effective fuel injector cleaner please.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 20th, 2024, 11:48 pm

Used to use Chevron techron... Haven't seen it in the longest while.

I use redline complete fuel system cleaner mainly... But I like it more for fuel system lubrication.

Every now and then i use products from Stp, Valvoline, liquimoly, gumout, amsoil, penray

Advertisement

Return to “KIA”