Kia Cerato Shift Problem

Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Altec55
Chronic TriniTuner

Kia Cerato Shift Problem

Postby Altec55 » September 25th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 Kia Cerato. Here's the problem.
-when driving in automatic mode, if you coast at 30kph and then press the gas to accelerate, there's a violent shift and car drives normal. (also it does not happen all the time, but it is quite frequent)
--when driving in automatic, if you go up to about 40kph and let the car coast down to about 30, 25. you can feel the downshift.

-if you accelerate from anything below 30ish, no issues. the problem happens right is that 27-33 ish kph range.
-if you drive in tiptronic, no issues.

I googled the issues and it appears that it is a widely known issue, but with no solution yet. Has anyone else had this problem and aware of a solution? Car is always serviced by the dealer, reported the shift problem when it wasn't as intense, but they never really did anything about it (typical trini service stuff, even spoke to service manager).

Adjudicator
Street 2NR

Re: Kia Cerato Shift Problem

Postby Adjudicator » September 25th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Does it happen in specific gears ie 1st to 2nd or something like that.
Also do you have any problems with the reverse gear (taking longer than usual to engage or going in 'hard')

Altec55
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Altec55 » September 28th, 2014, 2:09 pm

yea, i believe its either 2nd or 3rd. i have a feeling it is downshifting into 2nd when it happens.

also with the reverse gear, it doesn't really go in hard, but if i switch from drive to reverse in a normal manner, it sometimes take a second to engage. so i come to a stop, wait a second then go into reverse.

Adjudicator
Street 2NR

Postby Adjudicator » September 29th, 2014, 3:20 pm

The transmission might be going. You should probably try to press them at Southern Sales, I heard about this happening with a couple of the hyundai 4 spd, but it isn't very common so good luck.
Is it still in warranty?

Altec55
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Altec55 » September 30th, 2014, 1:36 pm

nah, it is out of warranty. however the problem started happening while it was in warranty.

Altec55
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Altec55 » February 11th, 2015, 11:14 am

I took it into the company and went straight to the manager telling him about the problem and that I been reporting this over and over every service and nothing being done about it.

He told me to make an appointment and have someone test drive it with you.

Appointment made. Took it in, checked in, waited for test driver guy. He said he's coming but has to test drive another vehicle first. I said ok. I stood around for about 45 mins, watching him walk up and down after he move whatever car, talking to other mechanics etc. Someone finally come out of the office and ask me if I getting through. I say no and explain the whole scenario. He took the car and hook it up to their diagnostics machine.

Result: he said the diagnostics not reporting anything wrong, but he reset the tranny computer. We test it and was working fine. Been about 3 weeks now and still good to go. So apparently resetting the computer via the machine worked! Yay!

Southern Sales service level still as poor as ever though. oh well.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » March 4th, 2015, 2:00 am

good to know what was done......I have a lil over rev when gear changing from 2 to 3....doesn't happen all the time though...and that's on a 2015 sportage...

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Captainzaak » August 12th, 2015, 9:13 am

I had the same issue with my 2012 cerato koup. Made a complaint to my sales rep and he made an appointment to get it checked out by service. They did the same reset on the tranny and thus far it's been fine.

I was also informed that there's usually a cost to check the vehicle but i was given a bligh... :\ (vehicle is under warranty btw)

JayJay007
Riding on 13's

Postby JayJay007 » June 30th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Altec55 wrote:I took it into the company and went straight to the manager telling him about the problem and that I been reporting this over and over every service and nothing being done about it.

Appointment made. Took it in, checked in, waited for test driver guy. He said he's coming but has to test drive another vehicle first. I said ok. I stood around for about 45 mins, watching him walk up and down after he move whatever car, talking to other mechanics etc. Someone finally come out of the office and ask me if I getting through. I say no and explain the whole scenario. He took the car and hook it up to their diagnostics machine.

Result: he said the diagnostics not reporting anything wrong, but he reset the tranny computer. We test it and was working fine. Been about 3 weeks now and still good to go. So apparently resetting the computer via the machine worked! Yay!

Altec55 wrote:I took it into the company and went straight to the manager telling him about the problem and that I been reporting this over and over every service and nothing being done about it.

DunstanM
Riding on 13's

Postby DunstanM » February 28th, 2021, 10:16 pm

Hi Guys ...I recently bought a 2010 Cerato for the original owner with a similar problem. Can't detect it with a ten minute test drive. You have to drive it for more than 35-40 minutes at above 80 kmh...I felt the down shift unprovoked...Driving at 80 to 100 kph and out of the blue it shifts from 6 to 4 on its own. I just keep it below 80. Don't want to damage tranny system...Had the oil changed, Went to Jia's in Aranjuez to have the TCM reset. Worked fine for a week then symptoms return.. Switch the car off and restart and all returns to normal till the next cycle. I really like the car but could do without the anticipated stress. .Any solutions for a permanent fix...

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 28th, 2021, 10:32 pm

Did you do a scan?

DunstanM
Riding on 13's

Postby DunstanM » March 1st, 2021, 8:20 pm

A scan was done whilst on a test drive. .No issues were detected...No codes were stored ...

Advertisement

Return to “KIA”