Forums

Removal of oil control valve in a Hyundai Tucson

Creta, Elantra, Santa Fe, Accent, Tuscon, Veloster, Sonata, i30

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

prutoonkman
Street 2NR

Removal of oil control valve in a Hyundai Tucson

Postby prutoonkman » June 4th, 2012, 8:38 am

I have a local Tucson which is a 2008 model and the wire connector broke at the body of the Oil Control Valve (OCV). I tried to take it out yesterday but taking out the one bolt that holds it to the cylinder head but it can't come off at all. Any suggestions as to how I should take it out would be welcomed. The OCV is right above temperature sensor and is balck and cylindrical.

See attached image.
Attachments
OCV.jpg
Pic showing OCV

prutoonkman
Street 2NR

Re: Removal of oil control valve in a Hyundai Tucson

Postby prutoonkman » June 5th, 2012, 8:45 am

N&M don't have any and the cost is TT$1505 + VAT. The ones from the KIA will work but I did not get through to Southern Sales. I bought it on the Internet for US$73 and will hopefully get it next week. The part is really a solenoid that controls the CVVT and it seems that it is mucked up with oil hence the reason for the difficulty in its removal. The tappet pan will therefore have to be removed in order to get the OCV out. Hope this helps others who will invariably face the same problem. The interchange part # is 24355-23770

prutoonkman
Street 2NR

Actual Removal of oil control valve in a Hyundai Tucson

Postby prutoonkman » June 22nd, 2012, 9:52 am

Yesterday I managed to get the OCV off without having to take out the tappet pan. I used a pair of pliers and wrenched it side to side and this caused the black cylindrical part as shown in the photo to come off. The plunger was then taken out and the other part of the OCV (a cylindrical part) had to be removed (see link for picture of actual solenoid http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-207-Va ... g+solenoid)

I used a flat head screw driver to move the remaining part around to free it from the oil that stuck it. A hammer was used to tap the screwdriver. It was then removed quite easily and the new one was oiled and placed and bolted.

The car ran much better since the CVVT was now working. The efficiency will now increase and further increase when I replace the plugs with Iridium plugs this weekend. Hope this will be of help to anyone in the same predicament.

roberttttttttt
Riding on 13's

Postby roberttttttttt » January 6th, 2018, 9:44 pm

i had same problem. 109,000 miles, 2008 tucson, check engine light came on, autozone showed oil control valve bad, bought part for $119 (amazon had it for about $67 but i couldnt wait). viewed YouTube for instructions. one 10mm socket removed bolt.

aaaannnd stuck. it would not budge. twisted with plyers and the end broke off. tapped with hammer and screwdriver and twisted with plyers. nothing. no love.

went back to autozone and with help they recommended nano penetrating oil and a 9/16 extractor ($7.00 more) or worst case, remove valve cover and tap it out from the inside, yeech!

so i sprayed the penetrating oil, waited a few minutes then inserted the extractor and twisted.

magic! the valve became unstuck and i sprayed more and twisted more.

a couple minutes of this and it slid right out! the new one slipped right in. easier than a spark plug.

the local repair shop wanted $410 to do this job. plus an additional $100 to put the car on their scanner.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lyes-aifa
Riding on 13's

Postby Lyes-aifa » January 23rd, 2018, 5:16 pm

HI i have the same problem with my hyundai Tucson 2009 gasoline 2WD i have buy it from ebay but it is'nt the same with my original part please confirm me if this is fits with my tucson thank's.

Advertisement

Return to “HYUNDAI”