Forums

Noise when turning the steering wheel on Tucson

Creta, Elantra, Santa Fe, Accent, Tuscon, Veloster, Sonata, i30

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

mitsutt
Trinituner Peong

Noise when turning the steering wheel on Tucson

Postby mitsutt » August 26th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Has anyone else experienced this on the 2017 model Tucson? When you turn or rock the steering wheel it makes a clunking noise underneath.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Noise when turning the steering wheel on Tucson

Postby Ted_v2 » September 12th, 2019, 6:34 am

yea thats the gear in the steering column assembly, have the part selling dog cheap on amazon, plenty youtube vids on how to change it, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiLUUfJHqE&t=69s

Rblon
Riding on 13's

Postby Rblon » September 17th, 2019, 7:00 pm

I have a 2017 model tuscon, and im also hearing a clunking noise when im turning the steering. The noise seems to be coming from underneath, so i did a suspension check thinking its a bad steering end or ball joint....no luck, cause everything seems fine down there.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 19th, 2019, 8:12 am

Read what I posted above. I'm pretty sure it's that. Getting the part on amazon. Small tools to change it. I never changed one but would love the change to do it.

mitsutt
Trinituner Peong

Postby mitsutt » September 19th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:yea thats the gear in the steering column assembly, have the part selling dog cheap on amazon, plenty youtube vids on how to change it, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiLUUfJHqE&t=69s

Buddy thanks for the reply but I’m looking for someone who also had the problem and had it fixed. I know about this coupling however when my mechanic checked, there was none inside this model so I’m wondering, does this model carry a coupling?

mitsutt
Trinituner Peong

Postby mitsutt » October 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm

No one ?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 6th, 2019, 9:23 am

This seems to be a problem we might have to live with as long as we own the vehicle.

I ent go lie I really miss my Diamond Motors days because of Massy. They make you appreciate the smaller things in ownership like good customer service, reasonable pricing etc.

Rblon
Riding on 13's

Postby Rblon » December 13th, 2019, 7:37 pm

I finall got my star bushing today from amazon, in an effort to stop the clunking noise on steering on 2016 tuscon.
It seemed an easy job, as i looked at a few youtube videos.....but on scrapping out the steering motor, what was in there is entirely different from what i saw on the youtube videos.
Theres just 1 metal spline fitting into another metal spline, with no rubber bushings.....so i guess thats for the older model (ix35).
I then decided to try adjusting the steering rack.....and that solved my problem.....no more clunking noise on steering when am driving.

mitsutt
Trinituner Peong

Postby mitsutt » December 14th, 2019, 10:52 am

Buddy can you send your contact. Yes after scrapping down I’ve also realize this model had no rubber coupling

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 20th, 2019, 9:19 am

Rblon wrote:I finall got my star bushing today from amazon, in an effort to stop the clunking noise on steering on 2016 tuscon.
It seemed an easy job, as i looked at a few youtube videos.....but on scrapping out the steering motor, what was in there is entirely different from what i saw on the youtube videos.
Theres just 1 metal spline fitting into another metal spline, with no rubber bushings.....so i guess thats for the older model (ix35).
I then decided to try adjusting the steering rack.....and that solved my problem.....no more clunking noise on steering when am driving.

When that fix was posted here I went by my mechanic that weekend and asked him about it and he said that part is not in the Tucson. He said he worked on enough to know that wouldn't have helped.

mitsutt
Trinituner Peong

Postby mitsutt » January 6th, 2020, 10:41 am

Rblon wrote:I finall got my star bushing today from amazon, in an effort to stop the clunking noise on steering on 2016 tuscon.

What’s your contact?

Rblon
Riding on 13's

Postby Rblon » January 8th, 2020, 11:01 pm

My number is 353-3191.
Send a message....most likely u wont get through with a call.

Rblon
Riding on 13's

Postby Rblon » January 16th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Just an update on the clunking noise coming from underneath in the tuscon.....
After adjusting my steering rack, and getting the clunking noise to stop, i had to align the car.
A friend recommended Penal Alignment Centre.....so when i got there, i found out that they are familar with that problem on these cars.....and also do the repair right there, cause they also do mechanical. So next time im just gonna go there, and let them handle it.

Advertisement

Return to “HYUNDAI”