TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

How to check how much gas remaining in LPG tank?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

How to check how much gas remaining in LPG tank?

Postby redmanjp » February 16th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Is there anyway to check this ? Usually we change when it finish completely but that's in the middle of cooking. Mom wants it changed so she doesn't have to do it when this happens and she is alone with food half cooked but it might have some days left as we last changed it end of December.
Last edited by redmanjp on February 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: How to check how much gas remaining in LPG tank?

Postby pugboy » February 16th, 2020, 3:38 pm

for a 100lb just knock it at various heights you can hear a hollow sound.

redmanjp wrote:Is there anyway to check this ? Usually we change when it finish completely but that's in the middle of cooking. Mom wants it changed so she doesn't have to do it when this happens and she is alone with food half cooked but it might have some days left as we last changed and if December.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 16th, 2020, 3:45 pm

No matter what you still always must have an extra full tank home . It’s not standard to always have two tanks so either way if it finishes mid cooking you just change to the new one . How will you estimate how low is too low before you start to cook anyway if it’s borderline I don’t see why there aren’t regulators to show the amount . The only issue to change the tank early is if it’s too heavy for her to lift

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 16th, 2020, 3:52 pm

That's the issue we have an extra one but it's too heavy. I heard about pouring water on the side but doh know how that works.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 16th, 2020, 3:53 pm

The 20lb tank? Knock it and listen. If it sounding empty and you eh sure when then just change the tank. It's a $25. How much you would lose in real? A $5? Same with the 100lb... Knock and listen. The only other way would be to get a gauge hooked up on the line to check the pressure.

You must have at least 2 tanks (1 spare) per stove as common sense will dictate that you don't want to run out of gas in the middle of cooking.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm

I have two 100lb cylinders but only have one turned on. Once one is finished, I shut it off and turn on the other. I calculate how much months passed since my last refill/switch and assume it will take about the same time for the 2nd cylinder to empty once your usage patterns are not out of the ordinary.

You can use the knock test and the lift test.

You can also check up on gauges.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 16th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Well pipes make it simple to switch for anyone but ours connected directly to stove. Guess I'll do ah knock test for now. Where can u get gauges ?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 16th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Well for gauges and any alterations to a gas line you need the official people to install and inspect it these days. Even if it's an easy job, it needs inspection.
Call an authorized installer like Ramco and see if they have a solution.
http://www.np.co.tt/list-of-100lb-cylin ... tributors/

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 16th, 2020, 5:36 pm

For the 20lbs, I once saw a head with a gauge, not sure if was gimmicky or would be accurate.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 16th, 2020, 5:40 pm

I have seen it too, but on the 20 lb white propane tank for bbq. Those are likely regulated to just handle the low pressure in those small tanks. A 100 lb LPG tank with installed piping would require some industrial certified regulator and such.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm

what u can do, is run both of them connected with a y splitter. as above, when one done, turn that off, then turn on the other. when someone comes around to buy a new one, its just to disconnect just like normal, and reconnect.

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » February 16th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Just weighing the tank should tell you. An empty tank should weigh around 9kg.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 16th, 2020, 6:44 pm

your 100lb tank is connected singly direct to stove ? that normally only done with 20lb tanks with head regulator .

i have an unused 100lb regulator splitter to connect 2 tanks if you want, this is what most ppl use
have both tanks connected and one locked off.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm

he didnt say, but the it too heavy for moms to change, so i suspect is a 20lb. but they dont want to change it, jess in case it still have gas.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 16th, 2020, 7:15 pm

I don't know if the answer is right in the discusssion. The twenty pounds they refer to is the gas and someone said the empty tank is 9 lbs ? So a simple bathroom scale should tell you how much remain?

Also.....

How to check how much you've got left in your gas bottle
Fill up a jug or bottle with warm tap water.
Pour it down the side of the gas bottle.
Wait 5 seconds.
Using your hands, feel for a temperature change on the bottle.
The part that's cold to touch will indicate how much gas is left. If it's cold near the top – you're ok. If it's warm the whole way down…

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm

LPG vapor pressure is about 320 psi and only varies with ambient temperature: higher pressure on warm days, lower pressure on cool nights. If you see a vapor pressure gauge on an LPG regulator it is to read the outlet pressure.

Large LPG tanks (500 gallons or more) typically have a float valve to read liquid level so you know how much is in reserve. Otherwise, your only options are to shake the tank and listen for slosh or weigh the tank.

If an older person cannot switch 20lb tanks when empty, connect two 20lb tanks to the range or oven.

Each tank requires its own regulator and then outlet hoses connect to a tee fitting. From the tee fitting, connect to the range or oven.

Even though the regulated LPG outlet pressure is less than 30 psi, I would suggest using a tee valve. If you can't find one, a barbed tee splicer alone can work. Just shut off the regulator before disconnecting its tank.

Last edited by adnj on February 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 16th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The warm water method would be inconvenient as our tanks (the small ones) are inside next to the stove. But if we can get those regulators to connect both at the same time and turn off each separately then that would work.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 16th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Yuh know how oxygen and acetylene regulators have two gauges - one of which shows you how much gas remaining in the tanks?

Always wondered why they don't make/offer that for household LPG cylinders...:|

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » February 17th, 2020, 1:01 pm

hydroep wrote:Yuh know how oxygen and acetylene regulators have two gauges - one of which shows you how much gas remaining in the tanks?

You does go IGL or Massy for LPG? :lol: :lol:
The convenience (for most) of the neighbourhood grocery parlour having cooking gas makes all those gauges etc. impractical.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 17th, 2020, 1:20 pm

De Dragon wrote:
hydroep wrote:Yuh know how oxygen and acetylene regulators have two gauges - one of which shows you how much gas remaining in the tanks?

You does go IGL or Massy for LPG?
The convenience (for most) of the neighbourhood grocery parlour having cooking gas makes all those gauges etc. impractical.

I explained this in my earlier post: LPG tank pressure gauges are of little use because the gas pressure of LPG is relatively constant so long as there is liquid in the tank.

[IMG]https://www.elgas.com.au/images/stories/Ullage.png
[/IMG]

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » February 17th, 2020, 10:26 pm

sMASH wrote:what u can do, is run both of them connected with a y splitter. as above, when one done, turn that off, then turn on the other. when someone comes around to buy a new one, its just to disconnect just like normal, and reconnect.

does such a splitter exist for the small tanks?
i know there are some that allow two devices to be fed off one tank, have not seen one that contains the pressure of two tanks to one device.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 17th, 2020, 10:36 pm

i does jes do d lift guestimate & keep a extra 20lb tank ... like said above always get\keep a extra tank cause it have habit of finishing while ur food in d middle of being cooked

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 18th, 2020, 12:08 am

There is a external temp gauge for side...giving it a try when it comes in via skybox

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 18th, 2020, 12:10 am

Screenshot_20200218_000934.jpeg

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 18th, 2020, 1:18 am

wagonrunner wrote:
sMASH wrote:what u can do, is run both of them connected with a y splitter. as above, when one done, turn that off, then turn on the other. when someone comes around to buy a new one, its just to disconnect just like normal, and reconnect.

does such a splitter exist for the small tanks?
i know there are some that allow two devices to be fed off one tank, have not seen one that contains the pressure of two tanks to one device.

is just a brass Tee... is to get one fitting the size of the hose. i found some fittings at allied, trinidad hose and eswill .. in south. but allied have a wider variety in the small sizes. the others tailored for like industrial large sizes.

a normal gas hose looking like 3/8s and that tee was like just under $50 in allied.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » February 18th, 2020, 8:27 am

Long term monitoring produced a reliable guesstimation for my household. From that I got a 3 month average for my previous stove with near daily cooking and once per week baking. Current one is 2 and a half.

I have a spare 20 lb tank so the guesstimation comes in handy in cases where the spare is empty. You'll know what weekend to wake up early to catch the gas truck.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » February 18th, 2020, 9:59 am

gastly369 wrote:. Screenshot_20200218_000934.jpeg

Did not know of this.
4 us online
nice

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Les Bain wrote:Long term monitoring produced a reliable guesstimation for my household. From that I got a 3 month average for my previous stove with near daily cooking and once per week baking. Current one is 2 and a half.

I have a spare 20 lb tank so the guesstimation comes in handy in cases where the spare is empty. You'll know what weekend to wake up early to catch the gas truck.

yeah we always have an extra tank the issue is mom cyah handle d weight and fingers have arthritis- so if it can be switched with a valve or something when it finishes without lifting anything then that's good- i can just change the empty later but she can continue to cook before that.

will also check out the magnetic sensor.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 18th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Redmanjp, allyuh wicked yuh know. Moms getting older and arthritis too and allyuh have she cooking? Boy go get a wife and make she do the cooking.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 26th, 2020, 9:37 am

as an aside, what is the working pressure of one of those tanks? by chance any one ever connected a pressure gauge to one?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”